Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.2

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this foundation a few days after it came out, because I was quite curious whether it would live up to all the hype. There were so many people raving about it and I just wanted to find out for myself if this foundation was that good. Also, Fenty Beauty is cruelty-free and this foundation is vegan-friendly.

My shade is 140, which is slightly too light, but it oxidises and after contouring my face and using bronzer, it looks extremely natural on my face. I use a synthetic flat-top brush and use stippling motions to apply the foundation. This foundation dries very quickly and can look streaky, if not applied properly. I have dry skin and this foundation can make my face look extra dry, so I moisturise my skin quite heavily before I apply this product. At the beginning this foundation can look a little patchy, but for me it blends beautifully into the skin once my skin starts to get a little oily. It has medium coverage, which is apparently buildable, but I haven't tried layering it.

The foundation lasts pretty much the whole day and I don't have to touch it up at all during the day. It is available in 40 shades, so there is definitely something for everyone, which is amazing.
Overall, it is a great foundation and it matches my skin tone almost perfectly. The downside is that it is drying and can be difficult to blend.

on 10/3/2017 11:13:00 PM

NO... honestly what is with the hype? I asked for a sample of this and the fact that I was colour matched with a colour quite a few shades lighter because it oxidizes so much is slightly annoying. I have oily/combo skin where I have some dry patches but I also get super oily throughout they day, and even I found this drying. The coverage is great but the foundation dries so fast you need apply it section by section and blend immediately otherwise it's already dry.. I don't like that. If you have super oily skin I think you'll really love this because it did keep me matte all day, it just clung to dry patches and I don't like it for the other reasons I mentioned.

on 10/2/2017 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I was grudgingly using KVD Lock-it before this. It is as if this was what lock-it wanted to be but failed miserably at. It didnt crease or patch on me like the Lock-it did. And as lots of people already said, this oxidised on me but it wasnt really drastic although I might consider a shade lighter the next purchase.

on 9/23/2017 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The range of colors is excellent. I wondered if this would work on my mature skin - it does! I use this with the Fenty primer. It did not oxidize settle into lines or pores and it's been in the 90's the past few days...very pleased. I wear 140 which is like 117 (Y225) in MUFE. Not sure how it will behave once the weather gets cold but for now, I 'm loving it!!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really wanted to love this foundation but unfortunately it just didn't work out for my combo skin.

The shade range is fabulous but the foundation oxidizes WAY too much for a foundation in this price range. It makes choosing a shade a challenge because as close as you think a match may be, it's going to end up looking different on your skin and it oxidizes over the length of hours so even when you're testing it in store it's unlikely you will see the actual shade it's going to turn before you've chosen your shade and purchased.

The formula is lightweight and has really nice medium-full coverage. It looks beautiful as you apply it, but it drys down SO quickly that it's difficult to get blended out as you're applying. Every time I've used it I've felt like I'm in a race to blend faster than the foundation sets. I've found that brush application tends to end up slightly streaky and BB application is difficult because the foundation is so lightweight that the sponge just sucks it up and you end up having to use more foundation (BB and the Fenty sponge).

It drys down pretty matte and dry looking. I noticed it accentuated fine lines under my eye area which really bothered me. The biggest problem I have with this foundation is that it clung to my pores. It didn't pool or separate into them, it clung to them and made them look fuzzy. FUZZY. It's the weirdest thing ever. my skin is always moisturized and exfoliated and none of my other foundations do this to my pores.

From a distance my skin looked great and my oily areas never looked shiny even though I had to blot throughout the day. BUT...when I got close to the mirror I could see this weird fuzziness on my nose and chin and creasing in all my fine lines around my eyes and my forehead. Keep in mind that I've also been using this foundation with the Fenty primer as well.

This foundation may be great for a night out when I'm dancing or in low light settings, but for the daytime it's a no-go.
I wish that it didn't look so dry, didn't cling to my pores and make them look freakin' fuzzy, and didn't oxidize so drastically. I think the formula needs a bit of work. I'd totally be down to try out a more luminous, dewy finish should they release one in the future, but they need to get their oxidization in check.

No one wants to speak poorly of the Fenty line, but it's not a flawless line at all. Out of the 11 items I bought (almost $400 worth) there are only 3 that I like: The primer, the gloss, and the highlighter brush (even though I feel the brush is too expensive for how it actually feels, but that's a review for another time). I know you're thinking about the highlighter right now when I say I only liked 3 things, and that's because the highlighters are just glitter. Again, review for another time.

on 9/21/2017 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I have two main issues when looking for a foundation, color match and mattefying capabilities, as I have extremely oily skin. This foundation covers both those problem areas for me and for that alone this foundation is a winner in my book. If you have yellow toned or olive skin give this foundation a try. Coverage isn't full, I'd say this is a medium coverage foundation, however with two layers I get good coverage that's enough for me. I know that when my (acne prone) skin was bad, this wouldn't have cut it for me, now that my skin is better it's enough, but it's something to keep in mind if you have moderate to severe acne. What's really won me over is how much less I have to blot when wearing this, its significantly less, and when I do my makeup looks fresh again. This isn't a full 5 stars from me because there are better (actual) full coverage foundations out there, but this foundation works for my skin and tone which is rare and it's worth trying it out.

I just had to return the Too Faced peachy foundation because the shade range was awful and the product itself was not very good (cakey, dry, patchy)...so I hesitated on this one because sometimes me and "matte" don't always get along. So I asked the nice SA at Sephora for a sample in 150 (I'm about NC18 or so and this looked like it would be a good neutral match, as I tend to run a bit more neutral) and she gave me about 3-4 days worth to try out. I am on day 3. I decided on day 2 it was worth buying but EVERYONE IS OOS. Sigh. Just my luck. So what do I love about this? Just about everything. It's matte, but a satiny matte---doesn't look dry, doesn't cake or get patchy, even after 12 hours of wear and me with allergy nose as well. It buffs out nicely to look poreless, plays well over my YSL Blur primer and the shade is 100% a perfect match. It looks flawless.
The only thing I didn't love it that it sets quickly so you have to blend fast--but it's not unforgiving if you have to layer a bit more or take a bit longer. I find I have to buff more around my nose to avoid it settling in, but that is normal with any foundation of the matte persuasion. I am dry-combo and my skin really likes this one. No issues on any part of my face. A+

Finally after struggling for a week i found the right way for applying this foundation.

i have an oily combi skin with a little acne-prone, so very important is that this foundation is not giving any bad reaction.

During the entire week i've tried out what would be best to put as a base, an i figured it has to be a slightly greasy hidrating spf cream in order to avoid the dry finish, with my La Roche Posay Anthelios KA spf 50+ moisturizing care it works good!!!

Like that my pored are less visible (as with other bases it was the case)..

And most important i found out the way how to apply is best with my fingers, and only 1 pump!!! Like that the 'natural' finish looks best, as before i used 2 pumps and it looked caky..

And than... first they matched me #200 but using it for 2 days i didn't like the colour, too yellow... and they changed it at Sephora for colour 170, the lighter version of cool tones... now it's a match, at first it kind of is too light, but after 10 minutes it's perfect!!

so conclusion is: use only 1 pump with fingers with a good moisturizer as base!! now i have a winner!!!!!

on 9/20/2017 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I had to wash this off immediately, it was so unflattering on my skin. If you have any type of texture or enlarged pores this will accentuate it.

I have dehydrated/oily skin with sebaceous filaments around my nose and upper cheek area. The product seems to build up IN and AROUND pores and ends up accentuating any little bit of texture you have, making it seem like your skin is way worse than it is without the product on. I see this working for people with oily (or well hydrated) yet poreless skin.

On a positive note, the shade range is really impressive. I was matched to 290 (I'm about NC40 with neutral olive undertones) I found it a too Gray for me, I could have gone a bit darker and neutral/yellow. This foundation oxidizes so swatch in-store if possible.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This is my favourite foundation of all time and I am super picky. My skin went from oily to dry this past year. This blurred out my pores and didn't accentuate my dry skin. I have super acne prone skin and I had a few breakouts when I applied this but this never broke me out even after over 12 hours of wear (this is super rare for me, everything makes me breakout!) and covered my acne naturally.

I've tried all the Dior foundations, Lancôme, Giorgio Armani, prescriptives, tarte, urban decay, MUFE, nothing compares to this. I can see why some people say it's drying but I make sure I moisturize my skin really well before applying this and the finish is absolutely beautiful, very natural with a slight glow (I've only used it with a beauty blender so far and I'm shade 130, yellow undertones)

I feel bad for the people that wasn't able to love this foundation because I have never found a foundation I'd purchase more than once in the last 20 years but I will repurchase this one forever. Love love love!!