Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.2

on 10/18/2018 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

I’ve been waiting some time to write up a review on this product since I wanted to see how well it wore and how my skin reacted to it over the space of a few weeks.  Some background on my skin: I have normal skin with a slightly oily t-zone. My skin is fairly even except for the slight demarcation lines near my upper lip (a lot of darker-skinned people have this problem) and my skin tone is NC 40. That being said, I can’t speak for this product’s coverage capabilities since I go over the demarcation lines and also my undereyes with concealer (the foundation does boost the coverage though). I wear the Fenty in 290 and it starts off a bit pale but oxidizes quickly enough and matches me so perfectly that even my own mother had no idea I was wearing makeup.  I like to apply it sparingly (for regular work days) with a dome shaped brush in buffing and stippling motions, starting from the center of my face and working my way outwards. If I apply it with a beauty blender, I don’t like to dot it on since it dries so fast; instead I take a pump on to the back of my hand and press it in well into the sponge and then dab it on to my face. This foundation lasts all day, looks like my skin but oh-so better and blurs pores. The formula is on the dry side; I like this for my skin type but I could see someone with a dryer skin type mixing this with a facial oil.     I feel like the oxidization issue along with the dryer formula are the two reasons there are such mixed reviews for this product. The girl at Sephora had actually sold me shade 310 which I ended up returning once it made me look like I’d gotten fake tanned. I highly recommend testing out a couple of shades before buying anything, that’s for sure! Shade 290 matches me like a dream and I’m totally hooked on this product now.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Was given a sample by a friend who was cautioned to go a shade or two lighter and cooler because of oxidation issues. With her warmer-neutral medium tone, I can't conceive of her wearing something as light as she was given. 107 Cool is not what I would've chose for myself either (being fair olive with golden undertones) but it melded with my skin and didn't have too much of a pink or porcelain mask effect as the day went on. It is a bit grabby and has to be well blended with a sponge (reg flat foundation brush doesn't cut it.) But, it wears very well. I've gotten accustomed to light coverage with my skin mostly behaving (thanks to the Ordinary!), but for medium coverage, it's pretty good! I'm a fan of old-school original formula Double Wear, and its long as I continued drugstore counterpart- Almay Amazing Lasting Makeup- so nothing ever seems to touch those in endurance, but this is a decent foundation and worth a try- especially for the gorgeous shade range!

on 8/16/2018 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Was able to get a sample of this from Sephora - shade 180. Darker shade than I thought I'd have to wear, but it actually was spot on for my skin. I'm light very warm yellow, so I give lippies for a good shade match.

However, right after application (damp sponge over my Primerizer) - I didn't like how this looked on my skin. I had dry patches popping up (in some of my regular spots) that do not do this with much cheaper, matte foundations (catrice). So this was starting off on a bad wrong foot. Then, it got worse after I put setting powder on top (a dusting). I set with Catrice spray - and I just didn't like the look of this on my face. It seemed to emphasize my pores, and it looked very powdery/cakey. If I don't like something right off the bat, then I won't wear it again. I wore CG Elixir foundation (cheap) yesterday mixed with my HG Catrice HD foundation and that looked 10 x better than this on my skin. I can tell when something blurs my pores vs. not. This stuff doesn't. For the price tag, I will not purchase. Very happy I can try samples of these sorts of higher $$$ foundations.

I also noticed that by 1.5 hours later after application, my oils were coming through on my nose already. So for a matte foundation (even with my normal primer) this somehow made my oils kick in too fast.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Terrible foundation! I have very oily skin and although this claimed to be matte, long wearing, and full coverage it was none of those things. First of all it's very thick, too thick and is hard to get out of the pump once you finish half the bottle. It is hard to blend and feels super oily and gross on the skin. Lastly, it is not at all full coverage. After blending I looked matte for about 30 minutes and than my skin looked horrible, no coverage what so ever. It is terrible quality and not worth the price they charge for it, it wears more like a drug store foundation but with even worse wear. Certainly not up to par with Estee Lauder or other high end foundations. If you want full coverage, long wearing, oil controlling foundation try Estee Lauder Double Wear.

on 5/26/2018 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Been using this product for a couple of months now. Slightly skeptical at the beginning because I always thought products by celebrities will never be as good as the brands that have been in the market for a long time. However, this foundation did not disappoint.

My skin is really oily, like I have to use maybe 2 to 3 pieces of blotting paper to fully rid the oil off my face. I was using Estee Lauder's double wear foundation before this, and that foundation did control the oil. My face will still look glowy due to the oil (but not too oily). However, that product was too difficult to blend as it dries up very quickly, and sometimes my skin will look patchy especially at the nose area. I hated the packaging as well as it did not come with a pump, so I'll pour it on the back of my hand which causes it to dry up WAY TOO QUICKLY. Having changed to Fenty Beauty, this product does way better than Estee Lauder. It's easy to blend and the shade selection is better. I feel that it does make my skin appear less oily throughout the day, but could still improve. It is not tacky as well!

As a Singaporean, the weather here is insanely hot and the Fenty Beauty foundation will still allow oil to come through, just that you'll look slightly glowy as the day goes by. However, I've been receiving compliments from people saying that my skin looks really perfect and flawless. I personally use this product with Clinique's Dramatically Different moisturizing gel, Rimmel wake me up concealer and Rimmel stay matte powder and finish it off with UD's setting spray. I find that this combination of products gave me the best results for oily skin.

All in all, for people with oily skin, do give it a shot as I personally feel that it is even better than Estee Lauder's double wear foundation, which has been highly raved by youtubers. Good luck!

on 5/21/2018 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

the hell is this crappy foundation?? it cakes up so fast a slides off my face so fast, and lemme tell you it doesn't happen to me even w my cheaper drugstore foundations, this is nightmare, stay away from it

on 5/14/2018 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Not too impressed by this foundation. I was looking for a more economical choice to the normal foundation I use, and decided to try this one since it had pretty decent reviews on Sephora.

This is a pretty thick formulation. It didn't spread very well with a dry sponge, though it might work okay with a wet beauty blender. It dries pretty fast otherwise and even though I blended very thoroughly ( I thought), it was still a little streaky and not very blended into my hairline either. I also think these colors lean a little to the warm side and I'm typically neutral so that might be a no-no for very fair or cool toned girls.

Not a big fan overall. I've found drugstore foundations like Almay that are more effective.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I LOVE this stuff. It works well on my oily skin especially in the humid weather. Lasts all day on my skin and it’s not drying!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Got a sample from Sephora. Awful. It looked as if I had not washed my face in four days, loaded on a ton of powder foundation, and then put liquid ON TOP of the powder. I'm not joking. It's so thin, yet so cakey. It reminds me of how the wet n wild photofocus foundation looked on my skin, but worse.

This release was a joke. It had to be. It reminds me of some kind of Mary Kay cream-to-powder junk from the early 2000s. In this day and age - when BEAUTIFUL matte foundations exist - why, why, why would you make a formula like this? I really feel like they didn't put much thought into this. It doesn't have that "airbrushed" matte look. It looks like a dog took a dump on your face.

Seems like the other Fenty products are fine, but this was bad. Hopefully she comes out with more foundations.

on 4/1/2018 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

I got this foundation in the shade 320 (which was the correct shade) about four months ago. I used it numerous times for parties and events and never got tired of it. I have pretty oily skin and no matter what foundation I used, I would still end up oily. This foundation does suit my skin type, but near the end of the day it went back to oily. It's not a big problem though, but for the price I would not buy again. Overall, a really great product and I believe it is worth trying out.