Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.3

on 9/25/2017 11:46:00 AM

Can we say fabulous! No more hunting for my close to perfect match! Rih has out done herself and needs her own beauty/fashion stores.

on 9/25/2017 10:37:00 AM

I'm lucky as I have a close friend with a similar skin tone who purchased this foundation (140), so I was able to try it out without actually buying it.

While it's great that this foundation caters to so many different tones, this is definitely not a product for dry skin. I have combo skin, and my dry areas looked very cakey after I applied it. I gave it about an hour to settle in, and it still looked like a tight cement mess that sucked out all the moisture out of my cheeks. And yes, I did heavily moisturize and used a spray after applying. My oily areas looked good. The finish was satin and very natural, with medium coverage.

I think that the bottle is great, I love the array of colors/tones, but in the end I don't think this is a product for me. Might work better with oilier skin.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really wanted to love this foundation but unfortunately it just didn't work out for my combo skin.

The shade range is fabulous but the foundation oxidizes WAY too much for a foundation in this price range. It makes choosing a shade a challenge because as close as you think a match may be, it's going to end up looking different on your skin and it oxidizes over the length of hours so even when you're testing it in store it's unlikely you will see the actual shade it's going to turn before you've chosen your shade and purchased.

The formula is lightweight and has really nice medium-full coverage. It looks beautiful as you apply it, but it drys down SO quickly that it's difficult to get blended out as you're applying. Every time I've used it I've felt like I'm in a race to blend faster than the foundation sets. I've found that brush application tends to end up slightly streaky and BB application is difficult because the foundation is so lightweight that the sponge just sucks it up and you end up having to use more foundation (BB and the Fenty sponge).

It drys down pretty matte and dry looking. I noticed it accentuated fine lines under my eye area which really bothered me. The biggest problem I have with this foundation is that it clung to my pores. It didn't pool or separate into them, it clung to them and made them look fuzzy. FUZZY. It's the weirdest thing ever. my skin is always moisturized and exfoliated and none of my other foundations do this to my pores.

From a distance my skin looked great and my oily areas never looked shiny even though I had to blot throughout the day. BUT...when I got close to the mirror I could see this weird fuzziness on my nose and chin and creasing in all my fine lines around my eyes and my forehead. Keep in mind that I've also been using this foundation with the Fenty primer as well.

This foundation may be great for a night out when I'm dancing or in low light settings, but for the daytime it's a no-go.
I wish that it didn't look so dry, didn't cling to my pores and make them look freakin' fuzzy, and didn't oxidize so drastically. I think the formula needs a bit of work. I'd totally be down to try out a more luminous, dewy finish should they release one in the future, but they need to get their oxidization in check.

No one wants to speak poorly of the Fenty line, but it's not a flawless line at all. Out of the 11 items I bought (almost $400 worth) there are only 3 that I like: The primer, the gloss, and the highlighter brush (even though I feel the brush is too expensive for how it actually feels, but that's a review for another time). I know you're thinking about the highlighter right now when I say I only liked 3 things, and that's because the highlighters are just glitter. Again, review for another time.

on 9/22/2017 5:00:00 AM

Just not my foundation style. Too powdery-looking. And a tad too dry.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This is an excellent foundation! I used the sample from Sephora for one day. Loved the perfect color match on me and the super lightweight texture. My skin looked flawless.

I have combination skin with dry cheeks and a moderately oily t-zone. I moisturized and primed my skin before applying the foundation. I also used a pressed setting powder over it to maximize the control of my oily t-zone. I just had to use blotting powder a few times during the day. It was gorgeous.

Now here's the problem. I have very sensitive skin and I have to treat general allergies (hay fever in the Spring, cats, dogs, etc). After wearing this foundation for only one day, my skin was already forming inflamed little bumps when I washed it off at night. And my overall face was tender to the touch. The product has pineapple and papaya fruit extracts. I learned from another reviewer that these are known irritants for people with sensitive skin.

So if you have sensitive skin, definitely wear the Sephora sample first before proceeding with a full bottle. And if you don't have sensitive skin, I know that you will love this product!

on 9/21/2017 6:47:00 AM

I never have much trust in "celebrity" owned brands, so I only got a few samples of this foundation so I can see for myself if it's all hype or it's really a quality product, and unfortunately it turns out it's just hype, as far as I'm concerned. This is a less than mediocre foundation, there is nothing good I can say about it.

I found a shade that matched me pretty well, at least for the first 15 minutes, after which it oxidized and turned an unflattering shade of yellow. The texture was not flattering on me either, and I don't have texture issues.

Even the coverage wasn't as high as I thought, maybe a medium at best.

The lasting power is probably ok, but I had to wash it out after 5 hours as it had separated on my nose and chin (which are a bit oilier but not excessively so). It also made my skin feel itchy.

For the price and the hype, I would have expected much more.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I got a deluxe sample from Sephora in 150 to try out. The colour was a little too yellow for me if I purchased I would go with something with a slightly more pink undertone. I noticed when I first applied it looked great, but by the end of the day it had shifted quite yellow. I would really suggest you try a sample before committing to a colour.

Performance wise it went on really easily with a brush and gave me great coverage. It built up beautifully over my red spots so I didn't need to use any concealer. I set it with my normal powder. I'm a very oily girl and I thought it would be drier but I did have to blot throughout the day. It wears beautifully, it's super lightweight and comfortable to wear. It has a lovely, light powdery finish to it. It remind me a lot of my HG Estee Lauder Double Wear but at the end of the day I can't wait to take off the Double Wear, it feels thick and heavy. The Fenty foundation remains super lightweight up even after 12+ hours of wear time.

Aside from the colour matching/shifting issue I really love this foundation and will definitely be going back to get matched and pick up a full-size bottle when I need a new foundation.

on 9/20/2017 6:49:00 PM

This foundation oxidises terribly - I feel like everyone is so on the "hype" train that they've given a free pass to Fenty on this massive flaw. If this happened with a KKW beauty foundation, it would be ripped to shreds and so we shouldn't let personal bias cloud our judgement on what makes a good foundation.

I wanted this to be good but colour matching doesn't work - since you get colour matched to the initial colour and not the "dry down" which is usually much deeper and more orange (classic oxidisation) will not actually match your skin tone. Watch Desi Perkin's video on the range to see this in action - it changes from a gorgeous yellow-toned shade to dark orange spray tan gone wrong, before your eyes.

If the brand had meant for this to be intentional they would have guidance on how to colour match to the dry down and the swatches online would be of the dry down shade (they're not) - so, unfortunately, I have to put this down to a huge oversight on Fenty's part. It's a shame that in two years of development this wasn't addressed & owned, or rectified.

Other than this it is just a standard demi-matte finish foundation, an okay finish and medium coverage. I would save your money and go for a drugstore equivalent like L'Oreal True Match or Maybelline Matte & Poreless. If you feel like splurging & want a matte liquid I recommend Naked Skin by UD or Diorskin Forever.

I just had to return the Too Faced peachy foundation because the shade range was awful and the product itself was not very good (cakey, dry, patchy)...so I hesitated on this one because sometimes me and "matte" don't always get along. So I asked the nice SA at Sephora for a sample in 150 (I'm about NC18 or so and this looked like it would be a good neutral match, as I tend to run a bit more neutral) and she gave me about 3-4 days worth to try out. I am on day 3. I decided on day 2 it was worth buying but EVERYONE IS OOS. Sigh. Just my luck. So what do I love about this? Just about everything. It's matte, but a satiny matte---doesn't look dry, doesn't cake or get patchy, even after 12 hours of wear and me with allergy nose as well. It buffs out nicely to look poreless, plays well over my YSL Blur primer and the shade is 100% a perfect match. It looks flawless.
The only thing I didn't love it that it sets quickly so you have to blend fast--but it's not unforgiving if you have to layer a bit more or take a bit longer. I find I have to buff more around my nose to avoid it settling in, but that is normal with any foundation of the matte persuasion. I am dry-combo and my skin really likes this one. No issues on any part of my face. A+

Finally after struggling for a week i found the right way for applying this foundation.

i have an oily combi skin with a little acne-prone, so very important is that this foundation is not giving any bad reaction.

During the entire week i've tried out what would be best to put as a base, an i figured it has to be a slightly greasy hidrating spf cream in order to avoid the dry finish, with my La Roche Posay Anthelios KA spf 50+ moisturizing care it works good!!!

Like that my pored are less visible (as with other bases it was the case)..

And most important i found out the way how to apply is best with my fingers, and only 1 pump!!! Like that the 'natural' finish looks best, as before i used 2 pumps and it looked caky..

And than... first they matched me #200 but using it for 2 days i didn't like the colour, too yellow... and they changed it at Sephora for colour 170, the lighter version of cool tones... now it's a match, at first it kind of is too light, but after 10 minutes it's perfect!!

so conclusion is: use only 1 pump with fingers with a good moisturizer as base!! now i have a winner!!!!!