Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.3

on 10/7/2017 9:06:00 PM

It took me a while to catch on to this foundation. Like many people here, I'm always on the lookout for the perfect shade and color. But by then, most of the shades were sold out. Even some of the testers were gone. I was able to test out some samples, and it was close; a bit too dark. So I go online and I happen to find next lightest shade that's neutral toned, and when I get it, it's too light. BUT! The oxidation helped warm up the tone so that it's quite close to my skin tone, and I was satisfied.

That's about all that was good about the foundation. This brand was very inclusive in its range. Now for the not so good parts...

This is a very fast setting, oil free foundation. I have to work in patches to get the coverage I needed, because after about a minute, it was dry. Application is best with a dense brush. It's a velvet matte finish, so any dry patches I had were magnified. I do skincare before makeup, and I find myself having to reach for my most moisturizing cream to act as a base, which helps a little. I found that it has a medium to full coverage, but I'll lean towards medium, because full coverage just accentuates what imperfections I have.

All these characteristics for this formula (oxidizing, drying, coverage, viscosity) almost matched with the Milani Conceal+perfect 2 in 1 foundation+concealer, even though they have different ingredients. Why would I spend $34 for a foundation that does the same thing as a $11 foundation? I'll admit, Fenty has more than outdone itself on the 40 shade range, but other than that, it's not special. I'll finish the bottle and part ways.

on 10/7/2017 4:18:00 PM

I used this twice with a Sephora sample, I used 250 - Asian, medium shade with olive/yellow tone and it is a good shade match. Upon applying, the foundation is liquidy, and seems to cover very well with very little product. It looks pretty good upon application, but looks kind of cakey when I look really closely and it emphasizes dry areas. It didn't oxidize heavily on me. After 3 hours, I see the foundation separating at my whole nose area, this happened both times and it's very unfortunate since I really liked the shade match! After a few hours, my face looks blotchy. Sadly I won't be repurchasing.

I am always looking for that holy grail foundation. I prefer long wearing matte formulations. I was color matched as 160. It's a little tricky to match me because my cheeks are lighter than my nose and around my eyes. 150 initially looked good, but the redness around my nose showed. 160 is just slightly warmer and it makes me look better. I love that it keeps me matte. I don't need to blot or powder at all during the day. And it doesn't wear off over the course of the day. LOVE this foundation!

on 10/3/2017 11:13:00 PM

NO... honestly what is with the hype? I asked for a sample of this and the fact that I was colour matched with a colour quite a few shades lighter because it oxidizes so much is slightly annoying. I have oily/combo skin where I have some dry patches but I also get super oily throughout they day, and even I found this drying. The coverage is great but the foundation dries so fast you need apply it section by section and blend immediately otherwise it's already dry.. I don't like that. If you have super oily skin I think you'll really love this because it did keep me matte all day, it just clung to dry patches and I don't like it for the other reasons I mentioned.

Well....thank GOD for Rihanna and her ability to find a group of creative people to stand behind her and her vision to finally understand the shades of people's skin! I have had to blend two shades of foundation for most of my life to get a match and Fenty Beauty has my exact color. Foundation and matching concealer. They also have a complete color wheel of what colors go with the other products she has giving unison and cohesiveness to choosing other things from her line. This foundation is smooth with a matte finish. It smells amazing, is light and airy in feel. It covers but is not cakey and is highly buildable. The matching concealer is fantastic and covers very well without settling into creases or looking overdone. I am a huge fan!!! I went into Sephora looking for foundation because my Makeup Forver shade was out of stock. They inteoduced me to Fenty Beauty and it was a done deal. I am addicted. This is and will be my choice from here on out. Don't care about cost, I care anout performance and look. This has it. I also purchased her matte finish blotting powder in the universal shade (actually no shade at all), her lip gloss bomb which is gorgeous, and two concealers. Kudos to Rihanna for not just lending her name to a product but thinking it through carefully and demanding perfection on it. Girl....you got it right and you understand that women come in all colors!!! Warm peach and neutral beige are my summer and winter exact matches!!!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Let me start off by saying I was very excited about this foundation because of the shade range. I thought finally I will be able to get an exact shade or atleast close to my shade without having to mix in 2 different foundation shades. I was matched to 290 on this foundation. I actually went out to Sephora store to pick up a couple of the Fenty Beauty Products on the launch date. To be honest I don't even go to Sephora and did it just for this launch. That's how excited I am. Then it went downhill from there.

The packaging is nice. Frosted Glass with a pump (heck yeah) take note Estee Lauder. Hahahaha! It's minimalist but very feminine.

The shade at the store matched me almost. Granted I was in a rush and the lady that was assisting me did not mention anything about it drying down darker or to pick up a couple of shades lighter than my skin tone, so I went to the closes shade to match me with a warmer olive undertone. This dries down 2 shades darker than me after application. During a 12hr wear, I was not prepared for it to oxidised anymore than it has and I purposely set this with a lighter shade pressed powder to help with the colour but unfortunately this just turned orange. Like a bad fake tan orange on my face.

Putting the shade aside for a minute let's get on with the formulation. I am a combo skin. Very oily at my T-zone. I have a fair bit of active acne from the medication I am currently on and it's messing with my hormones. I do have a fair bit of hyperpigmentation also. So the thought of having this foundation Full Coverage and Mattifying super exciting. This is more liquidy than I anticipated.

I was also not told and not having seen any reviews when I got this foundation, well I did what I would normal do in day to day application and dot this all over my face. LMAO because that was a HUGE mistake! Despite the fact that this is liquidy, it dries down so quickly! I had dry foundation dots all over my face. I couldn't blend them at all. I started all over again and worked in sections. In saying that, I have worked with a lot of Matte Foundation and this is by far the hardest formulation I have ever come across. Brush will be quicker but it's a horrid finish. Beauty Sponge is a decent finish but I am stressing out having to blend it quick. I'm not here for any anxiety over a foundation. Once the first layer dries down and you try to build it in areas that just didn't do enough, well it's super patchy. It didn't work well with me in building this foundation. I will give this foundation a solid medium (2 layer) non buildable if that makes any sense.

If you put this under your eye as well and put a concealer under there, it is so drying!!!!! It will go patchy and it will skip when you are blending your concealer. Not ideal to put under the eye also. Just don't do it. It also emphasized all of my fine lines under there. JUST DON'T DO IT!

This excentuates all of my dry patches, even area that was not dry (hahahaha!), Settles in my fine lines, smile lines and boy oh boy horrid on textures. I can't speak about pores as I use a pore filling primers too. Just HORRID! I think this is the worst foundation I have actually ever put on my face. From application, to the finish and the longevity. This also is not invisible. You will know you are wearing a foundation because it is cakey in so many area of my face which I usually don't get in my other foundations in my collection.

Now for something that is mattifying, my oil started coming through by 5hr mark. It does not seperate which is good but I am super greasy. Her blotting pressed powder is MAGIC though. That in my opinion is a must have in the entire collection. This is cakey, it gathers pretty bad on my smile line, upper lip, sides of my nose and the side of my cheek near my nose. I must say though, once your oil started to come through, dry patches is gone.

Is it worth $50? A big resounding NOOOOOOOO for me anyway. This did not work for me for the 8 days that I was trying to work with it. I have tried to mix this with other HG foundation that I have and just NO. I have given up. If the shade was off and it was amazing I will happily go buy the right shade. This to me have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Primers Tested
*Lancome La Pro Base Primer - one of my HG and it failed on this. It was easy to blend as it is silicone.
*Becca Primer Luminious - this played the nicest with this foundation. It helps with the blending and finish of the foundation.
*Cover FX Mattifying Primer - super horrors with this
*Becca Velvet Primer - it's OK. Still horrid
*Urban Decay Deslick - I got no words! The worst combo out of the bunch.

Setting Powder Tested
*RCMA no colour powder - become too drying
*Laura Mercier Loose Translucent Powder - Cakey
*Charlotte Tilbury - Pressed Powder - Saved the day
*Fenty Beauty Blotting Pressed Powder - Great for both setting and blotting. This performed the best with this foundation.
*Kat Von D Pressed Blotting Powder - surprisingly did amazing to airbrush the finish.
*MAC Mineralized Powder - super horrid
*MAC Studio Fix Pressed Powder - Cakey

Setting Spray
*Gerard Cosmetics Slay All Day - this is one of my HG and I found this is the only one that actually helped with the longevity.
*Australis Mattifying Setting Mist - Nope Nope Nope!
*Cover FX Mattifying Setting Spray - Nope Nope Nope!
*Pixi by Petra - Glow Mist - Really helped the foundation to melt more and helped with the dryness that's for sure. Didn't do well for the longevity but helped improve the finish 100%.

Best applied with a sponge. Gotta work quickly in sections. Use a very thick moisturizer to help with dryness, best work with silicone or lotion type primer. For me atleast, I have to set it with powder. If I don't it's a hot mess! I will try to mix in some of my Cover FX custom cover drops to see if I can add some more coverage so I don't have to later it on and avoid caking. Sad that it

This foundation is a really good foundation for many reasons, but it also has its flaws. First of all, this foundation line has 40 different shades so many people can find their right shade. They have super light foundations to really dark foundations, but there’s also some with different undertones so you’re most likely going to find your perfect shade. When purchasing this foundation it is a good idea to consider going down a shade or two lighter than your actual skin tone, because it tends to oxidize so it might turn darker. Other than that, it is a really good foundation, because it lasts all day and the coverage is medium to full coverage and you can layer it on I you want more coverage. This foundation claims to have a matte finish and it actually does what it says. It’s more for people with oily skin, because its matte so it helps control the oils and you won’t have to touch up throughout the day as much. If you have dry patches on your skin it tends to cling onto those spots so it’s a good idea to moisturize before the foundation. You also don’t even have to set your foundation with powder because of how matte it is. It’s a really runny foundation so you have to work with it fast so you don’t have dry patches. Another plus is that it has a pump so it makes the application process so much easier, but since it’s a really runny foundation it is best to apply it with a sponge so you don’t have brush strokes that way the foundation will be looking it best.

This foundation is a rally good foundation for many reasons, but it also has its flaws. First of all, this foundation line has 40 different shades so many people can find their right shade. They have super light foundations to really dark foundations, but there’s also some with different undertones so you’re most likely going to find your perfect shade. When purchasing this foundation it is a good idea to consider going down a shade or two lighter than your actual skin tone, because it tends to oxidize so it might turn darker. Other than that, it is a really good foundation, because it lasts all day and the coverage is medium to full coverage and you can layer it on I you want more coverage. This foundation claims to have a matte finish and it actually does what it says. It’s more for people with oily skin, because its matte so it helps control the oils and you won’t have to touch up throughout the day as much. If you have dry patches on your skin it tends to cling onto those spots so it’s a good idea to moisturize before the foundation. You also don’t even have to set your foundation with powder because of how matte it is. It’s a really runny foundation so you have to work with it fast so you don’t have dry patches. Another plus is that it has a pump so it makes the application process so much easier, but since it’s a really runny foundation it is best to apply it with a sponge so you don’t have brush strokes that way the foundation will be looking it best.

on 9/27/2017 11:20:00 AM

The shade range is amazing, so many shades and undertones available. The formula itself resembles Mac Studio Fluid, in that it shares a light, runny consistency but dries down quickly and is VERY matte. It has an annoying tendency to highlight and cling to dry patches and makes longer peach fuzz hairs more noticeable, even with a primer underneath. It does oxidise slightly, not enough to be noticeable. It has a light scent that doesn’t smell like paint as many foundations do. The price is fairly decent for an overall good quality product. Would recommend for oily-very oily skin

Not sure... I purchased online, so I did get a shade that was too light. Now I am on the fence about either getting a refund or getting a correct shade match.
One thing that I do not like is it's difficult to apply. It skips and does not glide on. I know it's a matte formula, but it seems hard to work with. When using a brush it streaks, so then you have to go over it with a beauty blender. When you use it just with a beauty blender it doesn't seem to have as much coverage, and shows pores. Plus it's powdery and dries very fast, so you have to be quick when applying it.
After it's been on for a few hours, it does look better. My skin is slightly oily in the T zone and the oils come through after a days wear, but the foundation looks nice and doesn't break apart.