Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.3

on 11/16/2017 2:24:00 AM

I have very yellow, slightly olive undertones, purchased in 290 which is marketed as the olive/neutral shade.

Unfortunately this is not an olive or yellow toned shade. Oxidizes and dries down a lot more orange and darker than it looks out of the bottle. The orange/tan shade will come through after a few minutes and it is no longer olive or neutral yellow toned. I now mix it with a lighter shade (130, also tried 140 and both work) to counteract the mismatch & also because I'm paler in the winter.

Dries down very fast, you need to work quickly. This is for oily or regular skin, would not recommend for dry skin. The finish is matte, with a slightly powdery feel, it's a "dry" foundation if that makes sense. Coverage is light-medium. Staying power is average - same as most other foundations.

For coverage it will not cut it if you have redness or blemishes. I have mild redness on my cheeks and usually an active blemish or two as well as some dark spots from acne around my jawline. I'm used to going over the blemishes/scarring with concealer but I find this foundation doesn't cover even the slightest redness or even out my skintone on its own.

For dry skin avoid! I found on days my skin was drier this aged me dramatically and it actually feels dry as well.

I've used numerous other foundations both high and low end and taking into consideration both the price and the condition of my skin (being combo), this is ok.

Obviously it'll be better if you have normal or "good" skin to begin with. If you have combo skin or generally deal with problems like dry areas/blemishes/redness etc there's better products out there for comparable prices.

on 11/3/2017 4:12:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Got a sample of this at Sephora but I'm going to pass - I'm oily to begin with and this made me even more oily. I didn't find the coverage to be to my liking (I prefer urban decay all nighter, studio fix by MAC) even though this is supposed to be medium to full coverage. For something "high-end and pricey" I expect better

Not a big fan of this foundation. I was excited because I have a difficult to match skin colour... I'm fair but with slightly yellow/neutral undertones.Foundations always seems to be too pink or too neutral for me. The colour was a perfect match but then it darkened two shades and started to show pink/orange undertones. NOT COOL!

It dried very quickly and isn't very buildable.If you try to build on it, it gets cakey and weird. It also emphasized my pores and lines.

It isn't a bad foundation. But for the price, I expected it to be comparable to other similarly priced brands. My last foundation was Too Faced and the colour matched perfectly and didn't darken but the coverage wasn't full enough for me. This is full coverage which is nice, but I didn't like the formula. I wish NARS wasn't so expensive because that's been the best foundation for me so far.

on 10/22/2017 10:05:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Shade 230- I really like this foundation, I found that I was way less oily (& barely had to touch it up throughout the day) than usual. Coverage lasted about 8 hours. Make sure to prep skin beacuse it can cling to dry spots. I think it applies better with beauty blender than with the brush, it does dry really fast so its best to work in sections and not apply all over your face. The foundation feels really light on my skin. I see other reviews say it oxidizes but I didn't experience that.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Had high hopes for a semi matte finish foundation for combination skin. After 3 tries I returned the foundation since it sat on my skin and slid right off the face. Be mindful that this oxidizes! It made my skin so oily after only a few hours of use. The price is moderate at $34 a bottle. Huge fan of the packaging and color selection but that's as far as it goes.

on 10/17/2017 5:28:00 PM

The foundation sinked into my skin making it look like I had nothing covering my face; Not something I’d encourage people to buy

on 10/12/2017 10:20:00 PM

Me: 43 years old, very few lines, combo oily skin that can get very oily in warmer weather. Large_ish pores on nose, no old acne marks, lots of red blotches, dark purple circles!

I'm Deauville in NARS, 20 in MUFE F and B, MAC N 4.

This is hands down the best foundation I've ever purchased! I cannot for the life of me see a line between skin and foundation...at all. Best shade I've ever used and I've been wearing base since 1990...16 years old.

I wear 140 and its perfect. It goes on like a dream. I used to use it with the It Cosmetics foundation brush and while I liked it, there were brush marks on the area between my brows and my nose. Fingers (for me) works best. The foundation is definitely on the watery side and with clean fingers it just melts beautifully into skin. Poreless, creamy, solid...no cake, no streaks, no redness, no circles....I'm in awe. I take my favourite huge powder brush (forget the name...it's orange and promoted by Pixiwoo) and fluff on the lovely Maybelline Fit Me loose powder in Light Medium and then do a light contour with Hoola Light and a top with a peachy pink blush. A few sprays of All Nighter and my makeup lasts literally all day.

You know it's good when it's 4 o clock and you keep checking your makeup out in your rearview mirror! No budge, no oily breakthrough, and no patchiness. I plan on repurchashing for a long time!

The bottle is also quite large and very chic and stylish. Excellent base for oily skin like mine. Most foundation breaks through by ten in the morning. Not this baby. Great deal for $34 and the amount of product you get also!

My friend wears 380 and it looks stunning on her, however she is dry and benefits from a moisturizer.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

EDIT: I’ve found a buffing brush makes this much easier to blend and I can use it all over. I’ve nearly run out and I’m annoyed my colour has been out of stock for a while - will definitely buy again. I've been trying to find the perfect long-lasting, full coverage foundation to cover my rosacea. I've tried Estee Lauder Double Wear (which I regret buying); Lock It; and a bunch of others I've already reviewed :)

I. Love. This. I dot all over and use a stippling brush to blend. You have to be quick as it dries down quickly to a semi-matte, non-transferable coverage. I moisturise well and like to use Illamasqua Radiance Veil primer - I'm a combination skin with occasional dry patches.

I have 140 and could probably stand to go a shade lighter. It's got yellow undertones which is OK for me as I'm pretty neutral but others may not like it.

I do agree with other reviewers (and have knocked off a lippy) that you really need to have untextured skin for this to look nice. Under my eyes where I have lines, this looks really awful. Easily combat by using a different product there, but tbh I'd rather just use one product not a dozen. I do powder using UD Velvetizer which smooths the appearance of any texture so it's certainly not unusable - you just need to find what works for you. It lasts a full day at work and still looks lovely after a long day, especially if I use a setting spray (which I always do - currently Rimmel).

What I love about this foundation is that it feels natural and not too heavy on the skin, even though it covers all my redness. I found that ELDW for some reason wears really red on my skin, and I have to put on several layers on my cheeks. I hate it, it gets like a mask and it doesn't last anyway!

Overall, I'm really, really impressed with this foundation. If you're looking to try something new, then you could go more wrong than this foundation. It has an excellent shade range and while pricey, it's about the same as other high end products and actually cheaper than some others. Definitely get shade matched though if you can, as it does oxidise, although not (in my case anyway) to orange!

I really wanted to love this foundation but it broke me out

on 10/8/2017 12:34:00 AM

I can see why this is such a controversial foundation! I have oily, acne prone skin and quite a bit of hyperpigmentation. It took a lot of experimentation for me to realize that there was no primer, setting spray, or powder I could use with this foundation to achieve a long lasting finish with the smooth texture promised in the product description. I am normally BIG on silicone-based primers and the UD All Nighter setting spray to make my foundation last. Fenty is literally the only foundation I need to apply in a thin layer over moisturizer, spot conceal, then layer again where needed. It is not at all in keeping with my usual routine (most recently the UD All Nighter foundation or Bare Minerals BarePRO foundation) but this gives me the most beautiful, flawless, oil-free, lasting coverage with this application method. In fairness I think it's closer to 4.5 lippies, but I'm rating it a 4 because of the oxidation and very tricky consistency that requires a lot of homework...