Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.5

on 3/23/2019 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

The formula works for my somewhat oily skin. I don't find that it oxidized on me, (I bought shade 120) and it stays matte and lasts all day with minimal touchups. Was pleasantly surprised at how long it lasted. I had a little creasing around my nose after about 9 or so hours, but nothing too noticeable. Coverage is about medium at best. It can be built up to full but I think it looks kind of cakey if you try to get fuller coverage.

Applying it was a learning curve for me. It's different than other foundations I've tried, in terms of application. Since it is VERY quick to dry, you have to apply it in small sections, otherwise it will be blotchy if you dot it all over your face like other foundations. Moisturizing and priming is a must before applying, even if you have oily skin.

Overall I love how long it lasts. So far, I haven't had any breakouts from this foundation. I don't know if it's worth the full price, but it's definitely worth trying if your skin is on the oily side.

Really wanted to like this foundation but found it cakey looking as soon as I applied it. It separates on my skin during the day but most other foundations I have tried don’t do this. Really disappointed and not worth the money :(

on 11/7/2018 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

As soon as I looked at the Fenty display. I spotted my shade right away. Shade 290 was listed as a neutral olive, and sure enough, it had that muted, subtle green undertone that is unique to olive skin. I cheer the cosmetic chemists who are getting better at foundation colors. When I was a girl in the 1980s, foundations at the medium and dark end of the color spectrum were very orange and bright.
I apply this foundation over a moisturizer with sunscreen. Without moisturizer, the finish would be too dry. It does take some skill to blend quickly before the foundation dries. The foundation dries to a smooth, matte finish that requires little setting powder. The finish lasts all of my 12 hour shifts at work. The coverage is moderate but buildable. I am 45, so any foundation applied to thickly looks terrible, so I apply thinly and it looks fine.
The price is in line for a Sephora buy, the packaging is a tidy pump of the kind I prefer.

on 10/18/2018 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

I’ve been waiting some time to write up a review on this product since I wanted to see how well it wore and how my skin reacted to it over the space of a few weeks.  Some background on my skin: I have normal skin with a slightly oily t-zone. My skin is fairly even except for the slight demarcation lines near my upper lip (a lot of darker-skinned people have this problem) and my skin tone is NC 40. That being said, I can’t speak for this product’s coverage capabilities since I go over the demarcation lines and also my undereyes with concealer (the foundation does boost the coverage though). I wear the Fenty in 290 and it starts off a bit pale but oxidizes quickly enough and matches me so perfectly that even my own mother had no idea I was wearing makeup.  I like to apply it sparingly (for regular work days) with a dome shaped brush in buffing and stippling motions, starting from the center of my face and working my way outwards. If I apply it with a beauty blender, I don’t like to dot it on since it dries so fast; instead I take a pump on to the back of my hand and press it in well into the sponge and then dab it on to my face. This foundation lasts all day, looks like my skin but oh-so better and blurs pores. The formula is on the dry side; I like this for my skin type but I could see someone with a dryer skin type mixing this with a facial oil.     I feel like the oxidization issue along with the dryer formula are the two reasons there are such mixed reviews for this product. The girl at Sephora had actually sold me shade 310 which I ended up returning once it made me look like I’d gotten fake tanned. I highly recommend testing out a couple of shades before buying anything, that’s for sure! Shade 290 matches me like a dream and I’m totally hooked on this product now.

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Of the 10,000 various foundations I own, I can honestly say that this one has taken over the top spot for me. I'm NC44 in MAC and am wearing 350 in this one. I have never had a more suitable match, this foundation looks so nice and natural on me. It also has good staying power on me. I normally experience T-zone oiliness throughout the day and still get a little when wearing this, but nothing that's offputting. I am really impressed with this product and am glad that I purchased it.

on 7/21/2018 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I honestly bought this because of the hype. I have normal to dry skin, and I always moisturize before applying foundation, but this is the first foundation I have tried where I could feel it sucking my skin dry. It was really uncomfortable after a few minutes that I had to remove it. It also emphasized my pores and every little flaw on my skin. It looked flawless from a distance or in dim light, but looked dry and textured up close. Don’t think this is the foundation for me. I used it both with and without the primer and got similar results

It also gets visibly darker; I don’t know whether it’s oxidizing or drying down. All I know is that I can see a visible demarcation between the foundation and my chest.

on 6/30/2018 12:04:00 AM

I tried this foundation when it came out and I loved it. Im not much of a foundation person, but when I bought this I used it only for special occasions. A year went by and I was lighter than the shade so I went into Sephora and they let me switch my shade without a problem because I still had about 70% of product. My only problem was that it had oxidized and made me look more tan/ orange. So I went in and exchanged my shade once again to something more neutral. This time while wearing Fenty I had noticed that it was transferring very easily. I would itch my cheek and would find the foundation under my nail and the foundation scraped right off my face. Throughout the day i found that it had creased on my laugh lines and looked really weird when I wasn't smiling or laughing because the foundation was creased around my mouth. Im not sure if I can do anything to help this from happening if so- I love this formula and Fenty products and would love to continue using it if there was a solution to the transferring.

on 5/31/2018 6:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

It was easy to find exactly the shade of my skin. Was very surprised how I could cover any imperfection. Overall i was impressed.

on 5/17/2018 12:04:00 AM

OH. MY. GOD. I am obsessed with this foundation. I was so excited when I saw the shade range was completely diverse and inclusive. Even though I am pale and most (if not all) make up companies accommodate my skin, I would prefer to support companies that care about diversity.
I love that there are different undertones in each shade range. I am pretty fair but have a yellow undertone and my neck is pure white basically, so I have 120 i believe and it matches me perfectly. and I have had a lot of difficulty finding a drugstore foundation that suits my skin AND looks good.

This foundation is smooth and quite a runny consistency and I can get through my whole face with a pump and a half using a damp beauty blender.
I would say its a medium buildable coverage, I like being able to see my freckles through my foundation and have quite a natural look, but you can easily build it up. It leaves you matte and poreless but not 1 dimensional.
If you set it right, it stays on all day. It feels so light once it's on as well.

It is a bit pricey, but its the base of your face so it's worth investing in a good foundation and I will continue to buy this for the rest of my life!

on 3/30/2018 4:37:00 PM

I would 100% buy this again. It has great coverage, great staying power and a beautiful finish. I made the mistake of buying Armani luminous silk after this thinking it would be better just because it was more expensive but it's not. I'm looking forward to finishing the Armani so I can go back to this.