Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.1

on 12/25/2018 3:23:00 PM

This is an okay foundation. I love the colours (I took the lightest one), bit the formula was just not quite there. It accentuated dry patches that I didn't notice before - it's a fairly matte formula so that's probably why. It also tends to face off throughout the day quite a lot, I would say it only lasts like 3 hours before a noticeable difference in texture and coverage - and by the end of the day it literally had faded so much that the area's I put concealer in stood out like crazy because they were still there. This is with setting powder and primer by the way. I was hoping to love it, and still have almost a full bottle left! :( going to try MUFE HD foundation next, or go back to my Sephora 10hr.

When I first applied the foundation, I literally thought "what a disaster!". It went all patchy, dry, settled into everything-- I hated it. I applied it with a brush that time. Fast forward to now, and I absolutely love this foundation. What changed? I actually gave it a chance and learned how to use this product correctly. So, my advice, if it comes out patchy-- give it a second chance.

First, shake the bottle really well! This is the first mistake I have made. I gave it a quick shake, and that's it. Wrong! Shake it really well!

Take a damp beauty sponge for application. The product blends in a lot better.

Three, the formula is very peculiar and dries VERY fast. I highly recommend working on one side of the face first before applying foundation on the other side of the face. And blend, blend, blend...fast! Use minimal amount of product! 1.5 pumps covers my whole face and neck (I have a big face). This would give you Light-Medium coverage. An extra coat will give medium to full coverage. If you don't follow these steps, you will end up with a patchy face. But if you do, you will have a flawless Matt finish. Beautiful. Oh, and it doesn't really settle into the fine lines.

The foundation doesn't oxidise, it just dries down like paint.

I received this foundation for free (benefit of working in the beauty industry)- I wouldn’t purchase it myself because foundations with talc always break me out.
I have the shade 130- if you have fair skin with strong yellow undertones this shade is for you. It’s very hard to find very, very yellow foundation shades so props to the brand for the shade range!!! The only this saturated color I’ve ever found is Sisley Phyto Teint Expert in 0 Porcelain.

Anyway, I decided to give this foundation a try.
Shade: it’s a bit too dark for me but since the undertone is right it blends nicely with my skin.
It doesn’t oxidize on me, maybe slightly but no more than half a shade.
Finish: I have combo skin, usually prefer satin matte foundations so it’s up my alley. Doesn’t make my skin shiny and keeps oils at bay.
Coverage: is just right, I’d say solid medium. I use the smallest amount because I have pretty good skin. One pump is more than enough.

I’ve been carefully using this foundation only from time to time- never for several days in a row, since I don’t want it to clog my pores. So far so good!

on 11/16/2018 2:30:00 AM

This is the best foundation I’ve ever used, wears for a long time, doesn’t cake up and looks natural. Also the best colour match I’ve ever had.

on 11/6/2018 7:23:00 AM

I love Rihanna, don't get me wrong and when this first ever came out I was desperate to try, so I did - the price is reasonable and the packaging is nice and classy.

However, the foundation just doesn't meet the match. As soon as you put on the foundation on your face, you have to instantly blend blend blend or it dries up in patches around your face, it also tends to oxidase majorly throughout the day, which is a hassle.

The foundation, I would say is light - medium coverage, as my skin was quite oily when I purchased it, it didn't have a smell to it but when it was on your face it felt - very matte? although it broke around my t-zone.

The foundation really isn't worth it, especially just because its RiRi.

Very dry looking, accentuated my acne scarring and texture. The coverage was very sheer too.

on 10/17/2018 10:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This foundation required a lot of trial and error on my part but it was absolutely worth it in the end. For reference, I’m nc20 with neutral undertones and have dry skin with some acne scarring. Here are a few things to consider when trying this foundation:

-It oxidizes like crazy. More than any other foundation I’ve tried. I started with 190 neutral and had to switch to 150 neutral because it oxidized so much very quickly.150 is a perfect match. When first applied it looks too pale, but within an hour it matches my neck/chest perfectly. I would definitely go lighter than you think on this foundation.

-It sets very quickly and is quite thick. I tried using a brush but found it works much better with a damp fenty bb sponge (which I love more than the original BB). I work in small sections and use the damp sponge to blend it out, bouncing it on my skin.

-the fenty primer makes all the difference for me with this foundation. Without the primer it goes into my creases and looks kind of cakey. With the primer it doesn’t crease and looks like second skin. I highly recommend using the primer.

-the finish is a beautiful matte that is a medium-full coverage. I barely need any concealer to cover up my acne scars and undereye circles (I use nars soft matte concealer in vanilla)

-it lasts all day and keeps me matte. It transfers some, but setting it with KVD lock it powder with the Laura mercier powder puff helps with that. The only fdtn I’ve found that is transfer proof is ELDW and it was very masklike on me. This is what I wanted ELDW to be on me.

All in all, I do recommend trying this foundation as the shade range is incredible. It’s not the easiest foundation to work with, but the finish and lasting power is worth it in the end. I also absolutely love the smell. It’s slightly sweet. Hopefully this helps someone who is considering trying this foundation!

on 9/3/2018 10:24:00 AM

The Soft Matte Longwear Foundation is actually available in 40 different shades! 40! That really gives you a lot of options! I personally use the Neutral 320 foundation which gives my skin an instant, shine-free coverage. The foundation is so light and the texture is so fine that once I have tried it, I immediately knew it was the perfect match. I would definitely recommend the foundation as it does not clog your pores, which is really important for the health of your skin and you can purchase it for only $34!

Check out my full Fenty Cosmetics review at https://fashionpotluck.com/product-reviews/review-of-fenty-beauty-by-rihanna

on 8/17/2018 11:57:00 AM

I never in my life (i am 30 yo) have had acne, and I have always had very healthy skin but after using this foundation I started suffering from acne, I stopped completely and it has being more than 4 months of treatments and still I haven't being able to heal my skin. I really regret buying this foundation. One day I was in Sephora and talked with one of the makeup artists about this and she told me that a few clients have had the same problems with this foundation.

on 7/10/2018 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

9/20/2018:
I decided to come back and revise my review for this foundation after recent trial and error.

If you are tanner than NC10 and like this foundation - try to see if Catrice HD Liquid Coverage has your shade. That foundation has hands down the most beautiful formula I've ever used on my oily skin. It's not as matte as my beloved Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse (you'll never find anything as matte IME), but the formula is the trade off. I fell in love with the Catrice but was disappointed by the palest shade being too dark. So I googled the ingredient list for a dupe and.......... Fenty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation is very close. Fenty has much better shade options. I thought it was weird I loved the Catrice but hated the Fenty so i went into Sephora to give it another shot. Shade 100 is a dead on match for my <NC10 skin. But it seeps into every imperfection. 120 however....is just like the Catrice (great formula). So this just tells me that the titanium dioxide they have to add a ton of to the palest shades in order to whiten them, is what ruined the foundation. Ugh.

I'm now compromising by mixing my bottle of shade 100 into the Catrice. I prefer the Catrice...just hate their shade range. On the flip side if they made one as pale as the Fenty it'd probably be ruined by the titanium dioxide amount too. Ugh.

Ingredient comparison...

Fenty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation: Water, Dimethicone, Talc, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polypropylene, Isododecane, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Glycerin, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methicone, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Propylene Carbonate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Parfum/Fragrance, Silica, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Paullinia Cupana Seed Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid. May Contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499).

Catrice HD Liquid Foundation: Aqua (Water), Dimethicone, Talc, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polypropylene, Isododecane, Cetyl PEG / PPG-10 / 1 Dimethicone, Nylon-12, HDI / Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Glycerin, Magnesium Sulfate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Methicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

---------------

Original review:

While I appreciate Fenty Beauty's broad option of shades to choose from, this foundation did not work for me. I am very oily, acne-prone, and have crater pores. All my conditions are managed by skincare most of the time. But a proper foundation is still key.

I found this foundation to be cakey. Even worse, it sank into every imperfection on my face. The pores around my nose became emphasized. It was disgusting and powder-y.

I will not repurchase.