Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.1

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I didn't even know that Fenty Beauty was a thing until the day before its launch, and even then, I wasn't interested in the foundation until I started watching reviews. Many reviewers raved about the skin-like finish, ease in application, and self-setting attributes, so I wanted to try for myself. Off to Sephora I went to grab samples! (BTW get matched or match yourself in person if at all possible!)

My skintone is an exact match for NW43 in MAC Studio Fix Powder and NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Amande. My match in Fenty is 390. I can also wear 400, though it is slightly red on my skintone. This applied like a dream! I had to work in sections because it sets fast. I applied it with a beauty blender, and it was alright. Seemed like the sponge absorbed a lot of the foundation. It also looks good dabbed on with fingers and blended with a flat-top brush, or just smeared on with fingers. MY KINDA FOUNDATION!

It left a beautiful skin-like finish, like I had naturally flawless skin instead of the scattered hyperpigmentation I actually have. I also needed no powder to set this. The foundation set all by itself! I was able to apply my blush and highlighter over it with no problems whatsoever. And the wear! It looked good throughout an entire 12-hour shift, meaning that I wore it for 14 hours or so. I think I blotted once halfway through and it looked good the whole time.

All this and I'm 95% sure I won't be purchasing the full-size.

Unfortunately, this foundation gave me those teeny little irritation whiteheads. It broke me out! I'm so sad about it! After about six to seven hours, I get a chance to look in a mirror to check my makeup and there they were. If it wasn't for that, this would be my everyday foundation.

on 9/21/2017 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I have two main issues when looking for a foundation, color match and mattefying capabilities, as I have extremely oily skin. This foundation covers both those problem areas for me and for that alone this foundation is a winner in my book. If you have yellow toned or olive skin give this foundation a try. Coverage isn't full, I'd say this is a medium coverage foundation, however with two layers I get good coverage that's enough for me. I know that when my (acne prone) skin was bad, this wouldn't have cut it for me, now that my skin is better it's enough, but it's something to keep in mind if you have moderate to severe acne. What's really won me over is how much less I have to blot when wearing this, its significantly less, and when I do my makeup looks fresh again. This isn't a full 5 stars from me because there are better (actual) full coverage foundations out there, but this foundation works for my skin and tone which is rare and it's worth trying it out.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I got a deluxe sample from Sephora in 150 to try out. The colour was a little too yellow for me if I purchased I would go with something with a slightly more pink undertone. I noticed when I first applied it looked great, but by the end of the day it had shifted quite yellow. I would really suggest you try a sample before committing to a colour.

Performance wise it went on really easily with a brush and gave me great coverage. It built up beautifully over my red spots so I didn't need to use any concealer. I set it with my normal powder. I'm a very oily girl and I thought it would be drier but I did have to blot throughout the day. It wears beautifully, it's super lightweight and comfortable to wear. It has a lovely, light powdery finish to it. It remind me a lot of my HG Estee Lauder Double Wear but at the end of the day I can't wait to take off the Double Wear, it feels thick and heavy. The Fenty foundation remains super lightweight up even after 12+ hours of wear time.

Aside from the colour matching/shifting issue I really love this foundation and will definitely be going back to get matched and pick up a full-size bottle when I need a new foundation.

My new favorite foundation of ALL time!

First of all let me say how great it felt being a WOC and be able to walk into Sephora and have MULTIPLE shade choices, not the 1 or 2 brown colors like almost all makeup companies offer.

The coverage is perfect not full not light just how I like it. I have very oily skin and this gave a soft matte coverage all day without sinking into my fine lines which usually happens to me with all matte foundations! And this is the first foundation that matches me perfect everything down to my undertone (I'm color 430) thank you rhianna I will only support this brand when I'm Sephora from now on!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

My skin in a nutshell: oily on t-zone with combo skin but dehydrated. Clear skin but there's texture/some scarring on chin, jawline and sides of face from hormonal acne. I've always been slightly darker around the mouth.

Color reference: NC37-40 (depending on the time of year)

Shade matching: Initially I thought the warm shades would be my calling but they turned out to be very orange. First I tried 300 (medium to tan skin with neutral undertones), which was slightly too dark and a touch warm. Then I tried out 290 (medium to tan skin with neutral olive undertones), which was much better. 260 (medium skin with neutral undertones) was too light.

First trial: I haven't worn a medium to full coverage foundation that was this matte for a very long time. When I read that it was a soft matte with a filtered kind of look, I thought I could try something new (I go for a glowy look despite that I'm oily in some areas). Wearing this foundation with the Fenty primer made me look totally flat matte and emphasized every fine line I had around my mouth and between my eyebrows. I worked in sections to apply it with the Fenty foundation brush because it dries quickly. I found that the more you brushed over it, the more patchy it looked. I didn't set with powder but used setting spray to try to take down the flat matte look. The oil control for this foundation is great, however, my office's forced air environment sucked whatever moisture from my face. By the early afternoon, it was starting to look matte AND dry with all my fine lines coming through. By the end of the day, patches of foundation had worn off around my nose, which made it look weird because the rest of my face was still covered. My chin was looking creased and the areas around my mouth. When I got home 10 hours later, it began to pill off. However, there was no oxidization the entire day.

Second trial: I used a glowy, moisturizing primer underneath. I also used a beauty blender, which did sheer out the coverage and made the blend more seamless. However, there's a point where you have to stop bouncing or else it starts to look patchy. This time I set the foundation with a glowy-blurring powder and setting spray. The added glow products softened my fine lines and took down the super matte look to make it look a bit more skinlike. From afar it looks decent. In the office, my skin began to dry out and my fine lines became more pronounced but not as bad as the first day. I still saw creasing on my chin and around my mouth by mid-afternoon. Trying to blend the foundation a bit to help the creases makes it patchy. No oxidization.

I really wanted this foundation to work for me because of the shade range but the finish doesn't do my 33 year old face any favors. I have skin texture and fine lines that I usually camouflage with glowy products but this foundation just makes those flaws more stark.

on 9/18/2017 12:20:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Ok, hear me out. Last week my friend ( Medium with yellow/olive undertones, oily t-zone) and I (Fair with neutral/pinkish tones, oily all over) went to Sephora and immediately went to the Fenty display. Everything is absolutely gorgeous looking. We both walked out with foundation (me 100, her 290) about one shade lighter since we heard many people say they oxidized. We also both bought the brush, which is beautiful, and I got a highlighter.

We put on our new foundation the next day and met up. I had problems immediately. Applying this foundation with the brush looked horrific. It immediately sank into pores and little indents I didn't even know I had. So I washed it off and tried my beauty blender. Much better. It dried and looked a little dull, but I know throughout the day it'll change. I did my usual routine minus setting spray as I wanted to see how it worked on its own. My friend used her Smashbox primer and the Fenty brush to apply hers. She liked the way it applied but did say her brush shed a little. So did mine.

We meet up during the day and go outside to look at each others makeup. So far...not so good. Coverage was eh, but we do realize we're used to heavier product. Every hair on each of our our faces was emphasized, which we've never seen happen before, and in some some areas it looked caked on. Ok, no big deal. This is a new formula for us both and we'll learn how to use it. About 3 hours into our day our skin started to very lightly get oily, which was great. Usually I am absolutely greasy by that point. But I looked in my mirror and noticed the areas around my mouth, chin and nose were really creased and patchy, so I used a concealer brush to smooth it out. Not looking so great. My friends makeup looked patchy as well, and every pore was visible. Maybe we did something wrong...

5 hours in and I needed to go home, I was so embarrassed. It had separated into something awful, spots were starting to show through, pores were on full display, it was beading and it looked like I hadn't even bothered blending the product and just slapped it on. My friend still wanted to give it a chance, but I could not. I returned it that night. Later in the evening my friend let me know that her face looked awful and that she was very sad, because this was the first foundation that completely matched her skin.

We both really enjoyed the colors and how light it felt. Even while it was sliding off of our faces, it felt weightless. Give it a shot, Sephora has a great return policy.

on 9/17/2017 3:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

So far, so good. I have to admit that I'm impressed. I was expecting this foundation to be bad. I thought all the youtube reviews had to be hype because Rihanna stamped her name on this product, but I was wrong. I applied this and all my imperfections were blurred; my face looked airbrushed. I applied this about 8 hours ago and this has not settled into my fine lines, separated, or become dry. It still looks almost as good as it did when I first applied it. I deducted one rating, because this foundation did oxidize and it smells slightly like men's cologne. Other than that, I'm very impressed. For reference I'm an NC40 in MAC and I purchased the shade 300.

Update on 11/15/2017: I returned this and won't be buying it again. It oxidizes and smells like men's cologne. It also wasn't very flattering the last time I wore it.

on 9/17/2017 3:01:00 AM

I like this but I don't love it, simply because the finish is a bit too flat for me and a little drying. I'm 160 matched to NC25, oxidises just a little, its a pretty good match and the coverage is med-full with no luminosity. I can imagine oily skins to love this since its a more advanced version of the Kat von D foundation, which was way too thick for me. The texture is very fine but not that spreadable, make sure you wear a wet type of primer with lots of slip, I found a hydrating one works the best or straight up sunscreen. I think this is a good foundation, its just not suitable for me, its really obvious that Im wearing foundation and at the end of the day, it has pooled a little at nose corners and is a little patchy. Its not a deal breaker however I still like my Shiseido Synchro skin much better. Love the color range, I took home 3 little pots, kudos for generous sephora girls. I found this to be similar to revlon colorstay, which I like better than this since its just not as flat. I have normal skin, maybe a little oily T zone. Packaging is great however I will use this on humid days. My recommendation is try before you buy.

on 9/15/2017 4:58:00 PM

This is an okay foundation. It falls apart after 4-6 hours. I don't like that it oxidizes so much as well. I think L'Oréal pro matte is a better foundation.