Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Filtered by age: 25-29
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.0

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have conflicting feelings about this foundation. My shade is 230 (Asian with neutral undertones). I think the finish is beautiful and while most would complain about the oxidation, I actually kind of liked that it makes me look like I have a natural bronze but not to the point where my face and neck do not match. Most other foundations look too flawless and a hair too light compared to my neck. Now I'm sure this isn't most people's cup of tea just know it does oxidize. I liked that this blended perfectly. I have normal skin (sometimes dry) but textured which is my issue when it comes to this foundation. You definitely need to prep and by prep, I don't just mean a pore filling/hydrating primer. You have to cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize and prime otherwise this foundation will emphasize all the nooks and crannies on your face.

The best finish I find is using a brush that you can "wipe" or blend the foundation in downward strokes similar to the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush or ELF Ultimate Blending Brush (or the brush that she sells) but make sure it's clean or you will have a streaky application. A sponge is also ideal if you wanted a lighter, more natural coverage but you will have to use a few more pumps with this method. I definitely do not recommend a flat top kabuki brush (which is usually my favorite method of applying any foundation) because this will emphasize the texture and sort of sit on top of it when you press it into the skin. I wore this to a concert but stupidly mixed it with other foundations which I HIGHLY suggest you avoid because it separated like CRAZYYYY. Overall it's a good everyday foundation. It will last you an 8 hour work day but not into the night. I probably won't return it but I wouldn't repurchase it either.

on 10/7/2017 4:18:00 PM

I used this twice with a Sephora sample, I used 250 - Asian, medium shade with olive/yellow tone and it is a good shade match. Upon applying, the foundation is liquidy, and seems to cover very well with very little product. It looks pretty good upon application, but looks kind of cakey when I look really closely and it emphasizes dry areas. It didn't oxidize heavily on me. After 3 hours, I see the foundation separating at my whole nose area, this happened both times and it's very unfortunate since I really liked the shade match! After a few hours, my face looks blotchy. Sadly I won't be repurchasing.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this foundation a few days after it came out, because I was quite curious whether it would live up to all the hype. There were so many people raving about it and I just wanted to find out for myself if this foundation was that good. Also, Fenty Beauty is cruelty-free and this foundation is vegan-friendly.

My shade is 140, which is slightly too light, but it oxidises and after contouring my face and using bronzer, it looks extremely natural on my face. I use a synthetic flat-top brush and use stippling motions to apply the foundation. This foundation dries very quickly and can look streaky, if not applied properly. I have dry skin and this foundation can make my face look extra dry, so I moisturise my skin quite heavily before I apply this product. At the beginning this foundation can look a little patchy, but for me it blends beautifully into the skin once my skin starts to get a little oily. It has medium coverage, which is apparently buildable, but I haven't tried layering it.

The foundation lasts pretty much the whole day and I don't have to touch it up at all during the day. It is available in 40 shades, so there is definitely something for everyone, which is amazing.
Overall, it is a great foundation and it matches my skin tone almost perfectly. The downside is that it is drying and can be difficult to blend.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

If you do not have oily - extremely oily problem-free skin, you're out of luck. This foundation made my acne-prone skin look horrible! It accentuated my dry patches (some of which I didn't even know I had), my acne scars looked 10x worse, and looked so cakey and heavy on my skin. It did not look natural on me even though I have used matte foundations in the past without a problem (I usually prefer a satin finish). I didn't try it long enough to determine if it causes breakouts or not, I just couldn't stand having it on my skin. This is really disappointing, as I have seen so many beauty bloggers rave about it :(

I gave it an extra lippie because of the awesome shade range and packaging.

on 9/26/2017 9:11:00 PM

I was so excited for this foundation- partly because I find it very difficult to find foundation to match my olive/tan skin tone. I have mostly neutral undertones, however my skin is leaning on the warmer side of neutral. Anywho, seeing that somebody finally decided to make foundations in various darker shades and all the rave reviews, I thought for sure I'd find a holy grain foundation.

I'll start by saying this foundation is annoying because of how quickly it dries, and you feel like you have to rush to put it on. Its also not the easiest to blend. The other thing, is that there is not enough neutral undertones in this range. I was matched with 290 (Medium Neutral Olive) but as soon as I looked in the mirror, it was evident it was too light. I waited a while, knowing it would oxidise. It was still too light and made me look ghosty. The only next shade the girl at Sephora said was an option was 360 (Tan Neutral Olive)- it was certainly warmer on my skin, and didn't look too dark at the time. But knowing it would oxidise, I knew within an hour it would be too dark. I left it on for six hours and the amount the foundation oxidized was ridiculous. It easily became almost 2 shades darker, and made me look very orange. I also found the formula made my skin feel a little dry. (I have normal/sensitive skin)
The coverage is also not as good as what I was expecting. It is really a Medium coverage foundation, whilst it is buildable to full coverage, it starts to look cakey and feel heavy. And again, I found the more you put on, the worse it oxidizes. For $50 a bottle, I just don't feel its worth it.
In future if Fenty adds more shades and improves the formula, I would be more than willing to give it another go. But for now, its a pass for me.

on 9/20/2017 6:49:00 PM

This foundation oxidises terribly - I feel like everyone is so on the "hype" train that they've given a free pass to Fenty on this massive flaw. If this happened with a KKW beauty foundation, it would be ripped to shreds and so we shouldn't let personal bias cloud our judgement on what makes a good foundation.

I wanted this to be good but colour matching doesn't work - since you get colour matched to the initial colour and not the "dry down" which is usually much deeper and more orange (classic oxidisation) will not actually match your skin tone. Watch Desi Perkin's video on the range to see this in action - it changes from a gorgeous yellow-toned shade to dark orange spray tan gone wrong, before your eyes.

If the brand had meant for this to be intentional they would have guidance on how to colour match to the dry down and the swatches online would be of the dry down shade (they're not) - so, unfortunately, I have to put this down to a huge oversight on Fenty's part. It's a shame that in two years of development this wasn't addressed & owned, or rectified.

Other than this it is just a standard demi-matte finish foundation, an okay finish and medium coverage. I would save your money and go for a drugstore equivalent like L'Oreal True Match or Maybelline Matte & Poreless. If you feel like splurging & want a matte liquid I recommend Naked Skin by UD or Diorskin Forever.

on 9/20/2017 1:53:00 AM

This line doesn't have enough true neutral shades. I'm a light tan, peachy neutral skintone (my best matches are giorgio armani LSF #8 and l'oreal true match N6) and I found that 270 was too pale/yellow, 280 was the closest match, but still a tinge too yellow, 290 was too gray/green and 300 was way too orange. I didn't even bother trying 310 (which would be too dark) or 260 (which would be too light). I did find that the foundation needed a few minutes to "set", in which you then saw the true, final color. Other than that, I felt the foundation needed some prep for my combination skin. If I moisturized and then applied, I had a nice outcome. If I merely applied primer and then this foundation, I would appear a littttle too dry. Overall though, I think it's a nice shade for both winter (over a heavy cream moisturizer) and summer (over a light SPF). If Fenty Beauty expanded the shade range for the medium-tan and/or neutral gals, I'd be interested. It almost seems like my best match would be 285... which of course doesn't exist (yet).

on 9/20/2017 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I had to wash this off immediately, it was so unflattering on my skin. If you have any type of texture or enlarged pores this will accentuate it.

I have dehydrated/oily skin with sebaceous filaments around my nose and upper cheek area. The product seems to build up IN and AROUND pores and ends up accentuating any little bit of texture you have, making it seem like your skin is way worse than it is without the product on. I see this working for people with oily (or well hydrated) yet poreless skin.

On a positive note, the shade range is really impressive. I was matched to 290 (I'm about NC40 with neutral olive undertones) I found it a too Gray for me, I could have gone a bit darker and neutral/yellow. This foundation oxidizes so swatch in-store if possible.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This is my favourite foundation of all time and I am super picky. My skin went from oily to dry this past year. This blurred out my pores and didn't accentuate my dry skin. I have super acne prone skin and I had a few breakouts when I applied this but this never broke me out even after over 12 hours of wear (this is super rare for me, everything makes me breakout!) and covered my acne naturally.

I've tried all the Dior foundations, Lancôme, Giorgio Armani, prescriptives, tarte, urban decay, MUFE, nothing compares to this. I can see why some people say it's drying but I make sure I moisturize my skin really well before applying this and the finish is absolutely beautiful, very natural with a slight glow (I've only used it with a beauty blender so far and I'm shade 130, yellow undertones)

I feel bad for the people that wasn't able to love this foundation because I have never found a foundation I'd purchase more than once in the last 20 years but I will repurchase this one forever. Love love love!!