Yves Saint Laurent All Hours Full Coverage Matte Foundation

3.4

Look, before I even start the review: I am 28 years old, barely have any fine lines, have very minimal texture on my skin, and my pores aren't the kind that need a pore-filling primer. My skin type is combination to dry. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that my review may not be helpful if you struggle with any of the problems I don't struggle with (yet).

Things I do struggle with: mild pigmentation around the mouth area, some dry patches around my chin from using Retin-A, a couple of dark scars from spots I had a couple of months ago.

Now the review: I LOVED this foundation. Loved, loved, loved it. I got matched BD 35, which is a pretty good shade for my light olive skintone. If I'm nitpicking, I'd say it pulls slightly yellow on me, but it's really not obvious. Also, I'm not a full-coverage kinda gal but I still loved this foundation because once it goes on top of my skincare, it doesn't exactly sheer out really, but it does still look like skin. Another thing I really liked about it was that it fades away really prettily: when my skin becomes slightly oilier as the day goes on, the foundation doesn't cake or break on my face, but mixes in with my natural oils to become a bit more dewy instead. I prefer a dewy finish, so that's a win-win. It doesn't cake or crease, doesn't budge, other products sit on top of it beautifully, and builds up on itself very nicely.

However, I gave this four lipsticks because I do think that people with dry skin would hate this foundation. The dry patches on my chin I wrote about earlier? Yeah, this emphasises those a fair bit. So, to sort of remedy that because I really do love this on the rest on my face, I mixed it in with a bit of Luminous Silk by Giorgio Armani and that really helped matters. Didn't fix it, but helped.

Last few details: I use one pump for my entire face and it covered everything for me. Feels very comfortable on the skin. Didn't feel or look like a mask. Went on best with my fingers in downwards strokes, but goes on well with a beauty blender too. Covers mild pigmentation beautifully. I am absolutely sold on this product and I will absolutely buy it again when I run out.

This is a life saver for me. I live in sunny & very humid Asia. Im a mac nc30 and using BD40 which matches my skintone perfectly.

It doesnt cake or gets patchy after 8 hours of wear in 32 degree celcius! I tried half my face Estee Lauder longwear & this. Both stayed but EL got cakey toward e end of the day.

I do use it with the latest ysl instant moisture glow as a primer. This combo makes my face luminous and very natural. Its more for a everyday look.

I wont be looking at other brands. Seriously!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Of the many I own, this is the foundation I’ve been using the most lately. It’s just so reliable! Not only does it hold for many hours, it holds beautifully! I wear the shade B40, which is a good neutral shade for my NC25 bordering neutral/warm skin tone. It covers well and is buildable from a medium to high coverage. I easily make this work using a sponge, a brush or my fingers as applicator, though I find the finish is best with a sponge. Despite the high coverage, it doesn’t look too ‘made up’. Definitely something you can wear daily to the office. I do! There’s so much to like about it, but I mark down a lippie only because, other than the sunscreen, it lacks in skin care ingredients. This isn’t really a problem, except I’ve tried foundations (SK-II’s cream foundation or Guerlain’s Parure Gold, for example) that are so comfortable on the skin, they are a joy to put on. I guess you can’t have it all. Overall, very pleased. I just bought a bottle of Dior’s new Forever Undercover foundation. It would be interesting to see how it compares.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is a long lasting good full coverage foundation. It's worthy of the price tag it's premium high end and definitely a luxury brand for a reason. Great formula not heavy, gives those with oily skin like mine a nice matte finish but not drying. Recommend it even for those with normal skin as it's not as heavy as many other brands out there. 8/10. Only down side is the cucumber type scent. Also note their shades tend to be yellow tone based.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Full coverage is wild claim, haha.

I felt this is a medium to light coverage, it covered my pores but that was about it.

Smells amazing and it feels like it becomes your skin when it dries out, so even though it did not cover my blemishes, it still looked quite pretty as my skin looked more even.

I quite like this as the shade matches me so well.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This did not look flattering on my N/D rosacea skin. I was matched to BD20 which was an ok match. It started too light but oxidized to the right color for my NC 20 coloring.

The texture initially felt light but was medium to full coverage and it looked obvious on my skin. It did not look skin-like. Hours later, it was still on in full force and it held up very well. I just had some slight oily breakthrough on my chin. And after 5hours, I could feel it on my skin. I could tell I was wearing a cover of foundation and it wasn't like a hydrating veil but it felt slightly foundation-y and clay-like. It did nothing good for my face's texture: no blurring of pores or wrinkles.

It's also very fragranced and has a high alcohol content so I found this drying after all day wear. Next day my face was flaky.

I am probably not the skin type geared for this foundation. This is probably more for combination or oily types or it's more for summer wear.

I am big fan of YSL but this foundation is definitely for oily skin. It empathize all my pores and dry patches when I tried the sample. I have combo skin but never was dry and I am very surprised. YSL Touch Eclate is definitely better than this one.

The YSL counter manager at Bloomingdales insisted that I try All Hours, saying it was superior to anything else on the market. She kindly matched me and made a sample for me, even though I told her I never had much luck with YSL foundation.

About my skin: Late 30s, with some hyperpigmentation, large pores around the nose, and oily t-zone, and dry cheeks, slightly sensitive and prone to eczema.

I was matched to BD40, which is slightly darker than I usually wear in YSL (am a BD25 in the Teint Eclat), so I suspect that All Hours runs a tad lighter. The scent is the typical cucumber-melon-floral that YSL likes to use. It does fade away after application, but do beware if you are sensitive to scents.

The texture is very light and runny. Compared to EL Double Wear, it is definitely more watery feeling. The finish is a demi-matte/satin. I did not powder on top, and felt it had a pretty skin-like finish.

However, unfortunately, this sank into every single pore on my nose. And I also got crazy oil breakthrough in the t-zone. So sad.

I would say give this a shot if you don’t have big pores or have an effective pore filler you can use, and also if your skin is a bit on the drier side. Unfortunately for me, this will not be a full-size purchase, and I will stick to my Armani and Dior for high-end.

i made a review on this foundation https://beautyworkers.wordpress.com/2017/10/06/ftt-ysl-all-hours-foundation/

Edit: Hmm after more than a week's use, I'm liking this more with every use for some reason. The creamy finish (makes my thin skin look thicker in a good way), and the fact that the bright colour doesn't darken or fade on me makes it quite enjoyable to use on long work days. I'm upgrading this to 4 lippies.
This proves it...I'm just gonna buy everything hotandflashy says is holy grail hehe^^ (no affiliation whatsoever!!)
------

Long story short..I'm afraid I don't find it to be anything special for me unfortunately.

I have combo Asian skin (dry on surface but slightly oily under the surface) with large pores and lots of texture.
BTW I got the universally recommended shade in Korea, which is the neutral B20 (similar to Chanel velvet lumiere shade 10, and the Korean standard shade of 21)

Anything with "BR" stands for beige rose, which means it has a pinkish undertone. Anything with "BD" means it has a yellowish undertone, apparently ->not 100% sure on this though cuz the BD shade range is not available in Korea at all for some reason)
Plain B stands for neutral.

Pros:
1. Minimal darkening, maintains original colour for at least 8 hours plus (perhaps due to dryish skin type).
2. Gives thin blotchy skin a bit of a thicker (in a good sense I mean) waxier look on the surface ->you know how sometimes
if you nap with your foundation on your skin looks really smooth and waxy/creamy (??but in a good way) when you wake up?
I think this foundation has that effect without the napping of course, after mingling with your skin's natural oils (1 hour or so)
3. Is quite a thick formulation but doesn't feel that thick. Not as matte as name suggests (can be used by dry skin types too)
4. Has an underlying glow that makes dry skin look softer and a bit better, especially at around hour 1-2.

Cons:
1. Accentuates pores and rough surface texture....yes its true folks. Porefessional helps but compared to my best picks
- i.e. the Chanel velvet lumiere or the Sisley foundation which covers pores without requiring anything extra at all - falls short.
2. Looks like you have makeup on for sure. Feels like a very old school foundation formulation. I prefer thinner, runnier ones.
3. Price...is it that great? Not sure (it feels very similar to Armani's lasting silk foundation, including med coverage and pore accentuating)
4. Has underlying glow that can make even dry skins look greasy at around hour 4.
5. Cucumber-like scent, which I don't like too much but it doesn't last so no big deal.

Conclusion: Hmm...it's ok but unfortunately not very special in any way.
I'll keep on using it occasionally of course (no return policy boohoo) but while avoiding my porous zones for sure.

(ps. Hmm...I sort of knew in my heart that I probably wouldn't really love this foundation, but hotandflashy on youtube who I really find trustworthy said it was a holy grail, and since I really love her original holy grail the Chanel velvet lumiere, I just kept thinking I wanted to try this out...I knew despite my misgivings I'd end up getting this one way or the other. I wish I could say I love this!)