Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eyeshadow Palette

3.2

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased the palette the day it came out. Saw the horrible reviews on YouTube and began to regret my purchase. When the palette arrived i didn't have high hopes. While watching MrsLolalynn she has mentioned the batch P7 was to be rumored the better batch. That's the one I got. When applying the shadows I very lightly tapped my brush into the shadow. Was there kick back? Not as bad as other people's. Much like my Modern Renaissance Palette. The colors weren't that difficult to blend.The duochrome shades work better when applied with your finger or damp brush. So far the shades I've used weren't that bad.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Gosh i needed a retail therapy purchase to console myself after i tried this Palette out! What a let down..
I eagerly awaited it's release! . I gladly forked out the money after waiting all night for the ABH website to display the sister of Modern Renaissance and take my order for Subculture. I greeted my postie in my pj's on the day it arrived. I drooled, opened the parcel & marvelled over it's green velvety cover...looked a treat
Then i swatched........my jaw slackened in confused dismay..?? "Cube" the colour i liked the look of most showed nothing. I re-swatched heavier than i ever have - still no real colour. The weirdest thing was it darkened in some patchy areas on my lid! Never seen this before(i believe another reviewer said the same) Other non-matte finishes were almost as bad as Cube, minimal to almost no colour payoff. Hmm..not what i was expecting.
I'm a matte girl so i put those other finishes aside & tried the mattes...i arm-swatched them all and they appeared very nicely pigmented. There was a surprising amount of kickup in the pans, more so than the MR..definitely a lot more than any ABH single I own too.
I chose my 1st look with mattes only - Axis being my main colour. At first it was going fine but as I tried to work with them; fallout city:( Blending was like swimming in a mudhole. I tried, i truly did.
I cannot return this palette for the reason of cost logistics. Being in a non-US country cost me over $30 in shipping etc. If i were to return this, I'll have to pay another $30 out of my own pocket that is not reimbursed nor covered. So in order to return this, I'll end up eating over $60 in just shipping to get a refund for this palette. So its keep it with a biiiiig ouch!!
I rang customer service, they were very polite but could not assist me further, save for a 10%off next purchase. It was suggested i check out youtubers for tips but could not offer me anything from the Anastasia channel. I know I'm not the only one feeling massively let down by this product but i was "informed" that no one else seemed to have an issue....hmmm..i call horsehockey on that one.
Sorry ABH, I still love you, your singles & many other products I've spent oodles of $$ on but this palette leaves powdery tears in my eyes.
Be great to see an optional recall & funded return plus reformulated replacement but i know I'm dreaming big in a situation where ABH couldn't possibly do such a thing, considering numbers when crunched it'd be a financial disaster.
All i can suggest to ABH for future products is "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" Meaning, so many like me,love the singles formula - use it in the palettes.
EDIT-UPDATE
Trending information at the moment (goodness knows how accurate) is that the Batch numbers starting with P7.... are the better product. I have that particular batch number & its still not great nor magically workable. There are better palettes on the market for this price or less

2nd EDIT/UPDATE
To be fair to this palette & helpful to reviewers who would like to use it... here is a link to one of my fave-trusted youtubers An Knook, who is also an amazing creator, for an eye look with the Subculture Palette.
Name - An Knook
Link -

I feel like I am one of the few who recieved a good palette. I ordered this on July 25th when it launched on the ABH website and recieved it on August 1st. It is definitely a different formula than the Modern Renaissance, but I have not had any of the issues everyone else has had. Mine are pigmented, blend well, and did not experience excessive fall out. Ive come to expect having fall out from ABH shadows as I also have the Modern Renaissance and the Master Palette by Mario. Overall, I enjoy my palette and would repurchase.

Save yourself the money and heartache, and skip this palette.

Anastasia of Beverly Hills is a really amazing brand; let's just put that right out there. Modern Renaissance was pretty much palette of the year for 2016. It's incredible. I liked Mario as well, though it was no MR, but it's a nice quality purchase.

When I saw Subculture, I was not particularly intrigued by the color selection, but frankly, I felt the same about MR. I figured the color combo was unusual enough and unlike everything else on the market, and thus, could yield some really special and fun looks. I have now tried the palette three times, and I feel pretty solid on this review in that I tried nearly all the colors. First, it is very powdery. This usually does not bother me. It always seems to me that powdery eyeshadows offer superb blendability. These are powdery for sure, but they they go on patchy and don't move. At all. You can blend and blend and blend, and they still look bad. I've tried a softer touch. I've tried tapping excess off my brush. This is just a bad product. It's that simple. It's a bad product from a normally exemplary brand.

There's little pigment in Cube. Two uses and Electric has a big dip. All Star, Fudge, Rowdy, Edge, and New Wave are a patchy, unblendable mess. Mercury looks like I could use it as a transition color in the pan, but goes on super dark and immovable. The only thing that makes this the "sister of Modern Renaissance" is the packaging, because the product is a hot unusable mess. RETURN.

UPDATE: Apparently, ABH has come out and stated something about the pressing technique. This has absolutely nothing to do with my use of a "firm hand" or lack of blending skills. Check my profile, and you'll see I've probably been blending eyeshadow longer than some members have been alive (wow, that hurt to write). There was a real problem with quality control on this product, no doubt in my mind. For everyone who received a great palette, good for you. Your experience is not a reflection of mine though. Luckily, ABH was very professional in accepting my return, but I would be lying if I said that this doesn't make me a tad skittish on buying their next palette on release day like I did with this one.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

After waiting for this palette to be released, I was so happy when my sister gave it to me as a gift. The shades were unlike what I typically use and I was excited to experiment with them. As soon as I began using it, I wasn't impressed. I tried using different primers, no primer, different brushes, and nothing seemed to work. They're chalky, powdery and awful. Nothing like any other ABH shadows I use. I loved Modern Renaissance and this just makes me cringe. I have now happily returned this, it is the worst palette I've ever used.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I would give this a 0 lippy if I could...

I am so disappointed, I want to cry. Now, I know that's a little over dramatic (I mean, it's makeup), but I have been so freaking excited about and... i am so disappointed. If you are on the fence about this palette - RUN AWAY. SAVE YOUR MONEY. Use it on something that isn't awful.

I bought Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Palette and I thought I would love it. I mean, i love LOVE LOVE her eyeshadows, and I loved her Modern Renissance and Mario palette.

Subculture was such a disappointment. Like it was horrible. The colors are beautiful. Below is a list from the ABH website:
Roxy - Ultra matte muted coral
Adorn - Metallic bronze
Destiny - Ultra-matte sage green
Dawn - Ultra-matte sand
Cube - Duo chrome pink pearl

I was so excited about it. But... let's talk about what is so horribly awful about this palette. And this is hard, because I am a die hard fan of Anastasia of Beverly Hills.

1. Look in my profile and see my eyemakeup for subculture. It is patchy, didn't blend, and at first, I thought it was my makeup skills. Guys, I've been doing makeup for 15 years on my face, I know how to blend, but I was convinced that it had to be my skills because the blending was terrible. It was so patchy it's ridiculous. Highly pigmenented? YES, BUT insanely patchy.

2. Powder, powder everywhere. Powder was all over the other eyeshadows, all over me, all over my desk. My desk looked like fall had arrived, but instead of leaves it was fallout.

3. The colors, although beautiful, did something crazy. They darkened as I blended it in, rather than sheering out, it almost deepened in color. Is that a thing? If not, it was kinda cool, but not for the look I was going for.

4. I tried a minimum of 8 eyelooks. At first I loved the palette, but I think I loved the colors more than the actual formula. It was pretty bad. The formula is so bad that I can't get it to work. I can't. I tried, God help me, I tried, but it didn't do anything. I've heard though that the formula is different from the MR PALETTE (though, I kinda already figured that out) but it's ridiculous.

Honestly, this is probably one of the biggest makeup regrets I have made. This palette really is that bad, and I regret it. I hope to God someone out there is using it and has a better experience than I did, but I will say that this is the worst palette i have in my collection and I am working on getting it returned ASAP - and I don't return things "just because" either.