Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eyeshadow Palette

3.2

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Electric and Cube were unusable- lacking pigmentation at all and doesn't show up on arm or lid. The rest of shadows were good however most don't match my tone or face overall especially dark green and blue colors. Was expecting quality like the MR but it didn't thus returned it to ABH website.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I tried this out via a sephora makeover recently, to see if I was interested in buying the palette. I was super excited about the colours and curious about what looks I could get out of it.

The makeup artist was wonderful and tried her best but it didn't go well right off the bat. Nothing was blending for her, even after using half the brushes in the store and prepping my eyes with 2 different bases and powder. I could tell she was dipping in very gently and still getting a ton of powder everywhere. It turned into an entire mess after about 15 minutes of her trying to work with the shadow. We had to remove my whole eye look and start again using a different palette.

The pigmentation is amazing but the blendability is unbelievably poor. If you're a makeup artist willing to work with this on yourself (as it would take 45min to do a look) it might be worth it. But as a layperson and general makeup consumer, there is nothing but frustration with this palette and i don't have the time or desire to "learn" how to work with these.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

Edit 7/11/18. I have lowered my rating from 4 to 2. This is just so hard to use. You can’t blend any darker color because it fades. It’s finicky with what you use as a base, it either blends away or patchy. So many shades apply much darker then they look. I still love the color scheme but it’s just not worth the effort. I never know if the look will come out nice or not. I’m going to try and pan it and get it out my collection.

Original review: Ok, so I've been playing with this palette for several weeks. In a nutshell, I love the colors. It's a palette that inspires me to play with color. It's too pigmented but I don't have too much trouble making it work. The shadows are soft but that doesn't bother me. I don't love the velvet packaging but it doesn't get as dirty as Modern Renaissance. Overall, I would not recommend this to beginners or the heavy handed but for me it's the most interesting, inspiring palette I have seen in a long time.

To go into it more: first, the colors. They are amazing. Such beautiful, interesting colors that work well together. I have been able to come up with some very nice every day looks for work and some very fun looks for play. I've been using neutrals for quite a while but this makes me want to use color. I do think that Axis and Untamed are a bit to similar and I wish that untamed was a different color, but otherwise I enjoy the color selection. Yes there is no highlight, but I don't really care. I forgive it that as it's a fun color palette and I'm not expecting it to be an every day palette. I did use cube to highlight my cheekbones though.

As for the formula of the shadows, cube gets hard pan really easily. I tried using my finger, brush, and brush plus fix plus and I didn't think any method was particularly good. I'm not totally satisfied with it's performance. I can make it work okay on the lid but it doesn't perform as I'd like in the tear duct and end up pulling out MAC pink opal (may she rest in peace, please, please MAC rerelease her!!). Electric is better, almost jelly like. As for adorn, I thought I had a lot of dupes but I only have shades in the same color family. Many shades like this are too orange or too brown. This one walks that perfect line of right in between. So pretty. As for the mattes. Oh boy. So they are powdery but I don't find them significantly more powdery that Lorac shadows or Modern Renaissance. I don't swirl my brushes in those kinds of shadows, I tap them. So for me, I didn't have to change my technique to use this palette because it's how I was using those other shadows. I can get very blended, smooth colors with this. I do find that for the dark vibrant colors, I like to gently pack them on and pat to blend. I don't do much true swirly blending but that's because I don't really need to. I did not have the shadows oxidizing or turning grey issue but I did find that sometimes the got patchy in my crease. I just carefully pack them into those spots and was fine.

Overall, the mixed reviews nearly scared me off from buying this palette and I'm really glad I got it anyway. It's so fun and so beautiful. I will say, I'm no makeup artist and my eyeshadow is never perfect. For me, I can use this just fine. But, it can be a little work to use so if that bothers you, don’t get it. I went into Sephora after a 10 hour work day wearing a look from this palette and got compliments (dawn on the lid, all star in the crease, rowdy on the lower lash line). Just saying....

Here are some looks I've done:
dawn blown out in the crease, roxy tighter in the crease, fudge in the outer v, electric on the lid.
dawn blown out in the crease, all star in the outer v, cube on the lid
dawn in the crease, new wave tighter in the crease, fudge in the outer v, edge on the lid
dawn in the crease (yes, I know, but it's really really stunning crease shade), axis on the outer 1/3 of the lid, edge on the inner 2/3
and loads more. I need to play more!!

Color comparisons:

Cube: MAC pink opal pigment is a little lighter but more pigmented so it gives more impact. Models Own peach pearl highlighter is lighter but also gives the same impact on the eye. I actually used cube but thought it wasn't enough and layered the highlighter on and got the impact I wanted.

Dawn: MAC bamboo is pinker, MUG creme brule is much darker, MUG peach smoothie is brighter and peachier.

Destiny: MUG dirty martini is more green and brighter, Viseart dark matte 11 is more blue.

Adorn: Inglot 406 is less orange, MAC amber lights is lighter and more orange, UD smog is darker and far more neutral.

All Star: MUG cherry Cola is super super similar slightly more brown, MAC I'm Into It is even closer/identical, MAC deep damson is slightly more purple.

Mercury: Anastasia warm taupe is more brown and lighter, Tarte jetsetter from Tartelette in Bloom palette is lighter and more golden brown.

Axis: inglot 340 is less green and slightly more muted but pretty close, MUG peakcock is much lighter and more blue.

Roxy: MAC rule is more orange, Viseart dark mattes 7 is lighter and more yellow, Inglot 361 is lighter and much pinker.

Electric: I don't have anything like this much it hear MUG karma is very close. MAC golden olive pigment is the only thing I had even kind of close and it's far more green.

Fudge: on first look this looks lighter than the Anastasia single in fudge but when I use them and swatch them they are pretty close, the subculture version is slightly more orange and the single more purple. Otherwise, MUFE M608 is more burgundy.

New Wave: Viseart Dark mattes 7 is peachier. I don't have anything else even kind of close.

Untamed: Viseart dark matte 11 is lighter and more green.

Edge: I have nothing like edge.

Rowdy: Dose of Colors wine stain is lighter and more red. I don't have MAC shadowy lady but I think it's very close.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Admittedly the popcorn has been plentiful watching the polarizing reviews of Subculture, and I wouldn't call it HG now that I have used it for a full week. I'm sure this is tricky territory so I'm going to lay out the pros and cons I have experienced, and then I recommend trying the palette for yourself in store because it is an unusual formula. Supposedly I have a "good" batch (P7 dot dot dot) but I have no idea whether Batchgate is legit. Having said that:

PROS. Very, very, very pigmented, but not luscious in the formula. By that I mean I did understand the complaints about blendability, but I actually do like the way the colors blend. There is a major contrast of colors in this palette so I am careful about layering certain shades with others. Obviously a deep teal is not going to layer as well with heavy warm tones as it would with neutral or cooler tones. I have a great Lancome blending blush that did a very nice job the first few times I applied these pigments before I got used to them, and that helped me find workable pairings and triplings in this palette. I have consistently received compliments on my eyeshadow every time I have worn this. They do look expensive and richly hued. As much as I am self conscious about flaws in my makeup, I genuinely think these set beautifully and wear incredibly well. I use a primer I consider to be excellent (Essence I Love Stage -- also a polarizing product, but it works wonderfully for me with a variety of shadows from most brands) and I also powder my lids and undereye area with KVD's Laetus before I do anything else. The staying power has been worth every penny; and in my line of work I sometimes have 14 hour days in heat and sweat. I'm very happy with these features and would absolutely purchase again.

CONS. Yes, clearly there is a lot of fallout. I have experienced much more fallout form both drugstore and HE brands like Laura Mercier and Too Faced. Personally I don't think it's a huge deal and if you're someone who feels cheated by fallout/kickback you should not invest here. With an expensive palette I don't expect to need much per application, and I certainly take extremely gentle care touching my brush to the product. That's not a criticism of anyone else's handling of it; that's my general approach to palettes I save up for. Of course it's not what I would prefer, but again, it's not new to me. The other con is that the shadows have very different textures you have to take time to familiarize yourself with. Emily Noel did a great review of this where she pointed out that the shimmers need to be sort of swiped on and not patted in, and once I understood that I did love those shades much more. Cube really does bring a lot to the table and I hated it until I realized it's just a different texture from the mattes. I'm also just not a fan of Fudge because it should but doesn't play well with others. You would think that a soft brown would be the most agreeable, but it's better on its own, which is sort of less interesting considering the spectrum of Subculture. Finally ... I would have appreciated at least one more neutral shade.

Quick and Dirty Shade by Shade. CUBE: Creamier holo pink/ice. Swipe, don't pat. So much fun to be had. DAWN: Peachy nude. When in doubt, start here. DESTINY: Cool olive grey matte. A dab will do ya. ADORN: Rosy copper. Eh, swipe this one too. I like it but don't lurve it. ALL STAR: Soft wine matte. A lot of hate for this one, but I like it. Reminds me of something you would find in the Carli Bybel Deluxe palette which I adore. MERCURY: Um ... YAS, I love this rich taupe. A little goes a long way. AXIS: The ultimate dark teal. Holy cow, does a little go a long way. Use it strategically because it's so beautiful I kind of wish it WOULDN'T blend as well as it does sometimes. ROXY: The telltale fallout shade. Warm, soft rust and not as bold as expected, but still super pigmented. Must keep researching this one. ELECTRIC: Cool glittery lime. Another swiper, but gorgeous as all hell. Hated it when I first saw it in the pan but loved it on the eye. I have nothing like this. FUDGE: Like I said, not a favorite, but useful for a lowkey day. NEW WAVE: Goldenrod matte ... Wanted to like it more. It's fine but I wanted it to shout and it speaks with its indoor voice. UNTAMED: A favorite. Somewhere between cool olive and a muted cobalt. I barely need more than a tap to get it onto both of my lower lids -- Yes, do line your lower lids with this for a bold smoky eye. EDGE: Warm gold with a touch of chartreuse. Update: Not a great crease color; gets muddy if used for transition. Beautiful up front on the lid! ROWDY: How is this rowdy? It isn't. But it's a pretty neutral ultra dark plum. Sultry is the word I would use. If it's daytime you need to be sparing with it. It's just that potent.

Conclusion ... New conclusive insights on this: Still reaching for this constantly, but I've come to understand that the colors I expected to be neutral can actually apply pretty boldly, and the colors I expected to be bold behave a bit more neutrally than I expected. I STILL really have a lot of fun playing with this palette, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I was excited for Subculture but I also accepted the fact that I would probably need to return it, and I sincerely don't want to at this point. Seeing the dislike for it has challenged my skills and understanding of makeup chemistry and color theory, and I really felt excited to learn new ways of combining color and texture. Honestly once you get to know this palette it has so much dimension, personality, and allure. If these observations are not appealing then it's not the product for you, which is actually great because there are so many palettes worth trying right now and many of them deserve more attention than they get. But for $42 -- yes, be wise and know what you're getting into if you have any doubts or specific expectations of what this "should" be. And good luck with it!

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I had my eye on this palette for the longest! The color scheme attracted me, it's so unique and most of the colors I don't already own. I had zero problems using this palette. I watched the drama that was led by Alissa on YouTube about this palette and I was almost convinced not to purchase it. I'm glad I ignored the foolishness. I really believe had Alissa said this palette was amazing and that she loved it, the reviews about this palette would have been totally different and overall positive.

The shadows are pressed softly which means you can't go digging and raking in them and not expect some fallout. I feel like a lot of the negative reviews particularly the YouTube reviews are not genuine and are not about providing an honest review but more about jumping on the bandwagon, fanning the flames and creating negative drama for likes and views. The folks hitting pan during 1 use is just insane and being extra for no reason. Stop the madness.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been trying out this palette over the past 2 weeks and no matter what shadows I choose the look always ends up looking muddy and grungy. The peachy shades in this palette are nice but don't blend as well as the too faced sweet peach palette or the modern Renaissance or Morphe 350. The shimmer shades were the biggest let down for me even after spraying my brush with fix plus the colour pay off is terrible. The matte shadows are super pigmented though just harder to blend. I am going to continue to try and work with this palette but pretty disappointed to be honest.

This is a new eye shadow palette from Anastasia Beverly Hills. This is the follow up to the wildly successful and popular Modern Renaissance Eyeshadow Palette. This palette is a totally different animal than the Modern Renaissance Palette. The Subculture Palette is beautiful in its own way. This palette requires a very very light hand since it is extremely soft and very pigmented. The one thing I wish is that this had a few more light colors for the upper brow area. There are a couple sparkly/metallic eyeshadows in this palette that have little to no payoff.

So along with the positive there are some negatives. Just do not purchase this for the colors cube and electric. My more detailed review video and swatches are in the link below.

LONG Review ahead!

NOPE. I like ABH and really wanted to give this a shot, the colors are weird/different/not anything I have or would usually wear but wanted to go out of my comfort zone. I have MR and the mario palette and liked that this was to "compliment' MR and thought that would be fun. I was really drawn to the blueish greens, yellow and the matte olive green. I also kept staring at electric and every time I saw it in a tutorial I couldn't wait for mine to arrive. Luckily, I waited to order mine from Ulta in case I didn't like it, color wise, this was before everyone started talking about it. I watched a few videos on it last Monday, and had mixed reviews. I still got up and ordered it at 4:00 AM when it was available on Ulta's website. I watched Stephanie Nicole's review Friday and she was very informative and I was super excited for mine to come because of all she said. Which it did, yesterday. It seems like a lot of people are saying there was a good and a bad batch. I was obviously hoping i'd get a good one and love it. I was gone when my package arrived and already had on makeup so only opened it yesterday. I swatched cube and was unimpressed, it didn't show up. I also feel like this is a random shade in this mix and saw someone on YT say it looks like pink heart from the moon child glow kit, which I have, and it does so that's disappointing. I see everyone use it as an inner corner highlight with the blue/green shades or orange ones and I personally don't like it. Wish this was something better/different. But to each their own and I know Norvina had a vision with this. Didn't swatch anything else. Also wish though that adorn was different, idk. It's nice but feel like bronze/copper has been everywhere since the warm shadow trend came about. Anyways. Sunday is typically my lazy day and I don't wear makeup. I went to the gym, no makeup, and watched xsparkage's video saying/showing it was bad. I got home and couldn't resist busting it out and playing before my shower. I know I wouldn't really use it for work so it would have been awhile before I could play if I didn't do it today. First, I applied a little bit of Fudge in the crease as a transition. Went on very intense on my left eye eye & I tapped lightly. Once blended, I felt like it disappeared. Patted untamed on the inner and outer, like a halo eye. Tried to blend it, went on patchy, disappeared, lost intensity. Went into axis, same thing. It ended up kind of blending over my whole lid, but not a good/even blend. Picked up some adorn with my finger & patted on the inner lid. That looked good and applied fine over the matte, and it was almost kind of golden-y/looked like gold flakes but copper colored. So that was cool, it ended up ok even though I thought I wouldn't like that shade. I used a small/flat brush to pull it over towards the outer edge of my eye some. Was fine with a dry brush. Took this off & started over. Used mercury as a transition, again faded to nothing. Patted destiny on the lid, tried to blend it upwards towards the crease and again it just faded/disappeared, wouldn't blend. It's like right where you place it is where it sticks and it doesn't want to blend anywhere else. At this point I'm like ok this is going back so I might as well just swatch & try electric. Finger swatched again, placed on lid. This color is sooo pretty, I would buy this alone in a single. Applied liquid liner to see if it was hard to go over since it's shimmer, it was fine. While that dried I attempted to add some more destiny to the crease to see if I could salvage it/make that darker & again it just wiped away AND caused electric to flake off. I stopped at this point and wiped everything off. I know i've only had it 1 day but I can already tell i'm going to keep having issues. I was heartbroken when I was having the same issues everyone else was showing, I was so "omg say it isn't so" in my mind. Oh I will note, I didn't have any fall out under my eye while doing any of this. I know Norvina said the formula is different than MR to make these super pigmented but I think that's the problem. Instead of being able to build them up, they go straight on intense and then you can't really work w/ them. Stephanie nicole said you have to apply them a certain way and it's how she already does her makeup because she has hooded eyes so it works for her. I tried it the way she did & still didn't work for me. But she said you shouldn't have to change how you do your makeup to make a palette work which I agree with. I'm not the world's best at makeup but I know how to apply & blend shadow, just like these people on YT that had the same issues as me. I'm extremely disappointed and already returned this. I couldnt wait to get it out of my sight & have my money back. I think $42 is a decent price for ABH palettes, if they're good of course. I'm sad because I really wanted to have fun with these colors and think they would be perfect for fall. I agree w/ Stephanie nicole again on saying that you should try it for yourself, because clearly it's working for some people. But get it somewhere it's easy to return (sephora, ulta) or even wait until it's in stores and you can test the shades out yourself beforehand. I think these probably swatch pretty well though since they are pigment packed. Also, when I opened mine yesterday the first time, it looked a little dusty, like cube had had a little fallout and moved around on the packaging because it was white and there was a little piece of shadow on top of the pan. It made me nervous earlier knowing how fragile these are. I'm hoping that these are reformulated or the issue is fixed because I would love to try again if so. Otherwise, forget subculture. I'll maybe look for dupes if nothing changes.

I played with this palette for a week. I guess the easiest to review this is point form
1) too pigmentes
2) too powdery
3) Not easy to work with
4) is it ''useable'' and ''workable''? YES
5) nice longevity with a primer
6) how to apply the eyeshadows? by tape it in, by using a small natural brush
If you want to purchased the new wave palette please do so, they will be more firmly press eyeshadow. I did buy the 1st version palette I will keep it. I was able to do some 'nice(ish) look and I will use the palette with other brand which I think will help. but be aware and you will like it!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I love a more grungy- undone look, so I'm not a big shadow blender which is a major deciding factor in how Subculture is going to work for you - to get the fantastic pigmentation that these shadows have means that the shadows are very softly pressed, so firmer application and overworking the shadows will just muddy the shades into a patchy mess.

Now my warning is out of the way, lets get to the good stuff. In Subculture you get Electric [lime-gold] and Cube [pink pearl] which are both duo chromes, Adorn [bronze] is a metallic, and the following shades are all ultra-mattes; Roxy [muted coral], Fudge [warm bronze], New Wave [citron orange], Untamed [tarnished green], Edge [gold mustard], Rowdy [blackened purple], Axis [blue-green], Mercury [slate grey], All Star [vintage wine], Destiny [sage green] and Dawn [sand]. You also get a double ended shade and blending brush, which is actually a good quality, so is something I use.

We get a nice mix of warm, cool, and neutral tones, and [having hooded eyes] I love the matte to shimmer ratio. There's some pretty, more toned-down 'everyday' work looks. However it's when I add one or two of the more punchy shades to take my look up a notch [I find myself gravitating towards New Wave, Roxy and Edge all of the time, as you can see in my demo photos]. that I really fell for subculture - if you have blue eyes like me and/or love autumnal shades, you'll love the shade selection too! I've got quite a few new palettes within the past year, but none of them pack as much punch visually with the shade selection; it really encourages me to step out of my comfort zone. I've not had any issues with fading, oxidizing or creasing to feedback - I believe those problems are being caused by people applying too much product.

Any let downs? The duo chrome shades Cube and Electric aren't as soft and apply on the sheer side, but almost every duo chrome shadow I've tried is, so I guess that's not a real negative for me as the shadow seems to be designed as shadow toppers. Dampening the dense shader end of the supplied brush for application of these two shades, gives a more intense look, compared to applying the shades dry.

So there we go; I mostly like my Subculture palette and will rebuy it when I need to. I think it's just a question of preferred application technique with the very soft shadow, rather then good batch versus bad patch. I think that if you are used to using softer shadows and aren't a big shadow blender, then this palette will work for you. If you prefer to use a firmer hand for shadow application and love your blending, then you might want to sit this one out. I don't get why Norvina [ABH CEO] got hate for saying swirling a brush over and over in a pan isn't a good idea in response to someones video who had done exactly that - to my eyes/ears she was just being straightforward, not hateful or 'throwing shade'. Nor did I find the ABH tutorial then put out rude or condescending - I think people are being too sensitive. I do suspect that a lot of the reviews is an almost pack mentality, and the 'scandal' videos popping up all over YouTube are people jumping on the witch-hunt train for views.

ABH have said that future batches of Subculture will be pressed more firmly, so some people might prefer to wait before buying it.