Lancôme Monsieur Big Volume Mascara

Lancôme Monsieur Big Volume Mascara
Monsieur Big Volume MascaraMonsieur Big Volume MascaraMonsieur Big Volume Mascara

3.2

Aqua / Water, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Copernicia Cerifera Cera / Carnauba Wax, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Cera Alba / Beeswax, Synthetic Beeswax, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polybutene, Cetyl Alcohol, Steareth-20, Glyceryl Dibehenate, Steareth-2, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Tribehenin, Acacia Senegal Gum, Glyceryl Behenate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Silica, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Disodium EDTA, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Caprylyl Glycol, Tetrasodium Edta, Ethylenediamine/Stearyl Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Bht, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain: CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides.

on 10/8/2017 5:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Can't believe these poor reviews... I haven't bought a Lancome mascara in over 15 years, have just had really good luck with several Rimmel, TheBalm, and some Maybelline mascaras, and just never felt the need to spend $25 again on mascara since discovering a few drug store good ones... I'm pleasantly surprised by this mascara. The girl at Sephora talked it up real good, and I bit...im not sure if I would buy it again, it does hit all the key points I need in a mascara; good volume and length, no flaking, not too wet or too dry, and has a great wand.. but Mad Lash by TheBalm is about $18, and I think it's a bit better than the Lancome... This is definitely an above average mascara, and I definitely recommend.

I got this ad a free sample from Macy’s when I ordered my inglot 77/25 eyeliners (gel/liquid). I love this mascara. It’s nice & wet. I love the squirrel tail brush. It’s not something I would buy I only buy WP mascara but I love my sample will use it up definitely. It’s very nice but I require WP because my eyes are watery/Rheumy. Lancôme makes great mascara my Lancôme WP definicils is HG, TF BTS WP, & L’Oréal lash paradise WP. There are a few non WP I like but those are my top 3. I also use Chinese no name WP mascaras from Ebay. I am a mascara junkie.

This mascara is really wet, thick and clumpy. To be honest it won't work on Asian lashes. It just weighed it down and my curl literally flopped after 15 seconds. Did nothing for me. It's not the mascara fault, it's just my type of lashes aren't suited to this mascara. If you have naturally long fluffy lashes this will work. I feel like they purposely used women with naturally long lashes to demonstrate the before and after. The brush is nice though, it's big but spiky so you can work it into the roots.

Now if...they made a waterproof version using the same formula of Grandiose waterproof then this will break the internet. I don't get why Lancôme never make waterproof versions of new mascara launches, Maybelline and L'Oreal do it with no problem, I had to wait 2 years for them to make a waterproof version of Grandiose. Waterproof mascaras are a must for skimpy asian lashes imo.

Update: Didn't really work as a layering mascara, still weighed it down, I will stick to my HG Grandiose waterproof mascara.

on 9/28/2017 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was standing in an endless line at Ulta, and saw this Lancôme mascara, I asked the girl behind me if she had tried it, and she had, and loved it. Hmmm she was wearing not a stitch of makeup on that day. I probably asked the wrong person, but, I bought it. This is the crappiest HE mascara I have ever used. The brush is weird, deposits dots upper and lower (I don't mascara the lower lashes) and the first day I attempted to apply it, there was nothing that really showed. It reminded me of the old Maybelline Great Lash where it would deposit a bit of mascara, but nothing was left at the end of the day. When I cleaned up the dots I got, it didn't smear or dot additionally. Pretty much anything is better. I prefer UD Perversion, Tarte Tartist Lash Paint and Julep Length Matters. Even L'Oréal Voluminous is miles better. UGH, and didn't they miss the boat on Monsieur Big? Seems like that would have been more appropriate back in the Sex and the City days.

I can't figure out the low reviews this mascara is getting. For me it goes on easily with one coat, no clumping and no need for a second coat. I've not experienced transfer or flaking. This does not irritate my eyes and I have MANY allergies and am especially sensitive to mascara. When I wear this my friends at first glance think I have false lashes on. With a light hand and just the slightest bit of effort this has a great application and a wonderful effect, absolutely my favorite mascara I've ever owned, it does wonders for my eyelashes!

2.5 stars? No option for that. I really like Definicils. I like this mascara too, but there are things it could be improved upon. It clumps on the second coat. (I was able to comb it out.) It smears throughout the day underneath the outer corners of my eyes. (I did powder under my eyes to no avail.) The positives. The formula is leaves a soft finish and is not brittle. It is really black, gives a lot of volume, and holds curl well. It removes easily with an oil cleansing method. I will revisit repurchasing when they make a waterproof one.

on 9/18/2017 11:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This mascara builds more dramatic volume than Lancome Definicils, but it can clump on the second coat.

Name:

“Monsieur” is French for “Mister, but then Lancome switched from French to English for “big,” perhaps because the French translation is “gros,” which sounds like “gross” to Americans. Better to have a Franglais name than a gross-sounding mascara. Or perhaps someone at Lancome is a fan of the Sex & the City series and this is their homage to “Mr. Big." Even though the name didn't grab me, I was impressed that this mascara delivers on the promise of bold, black, thick lashes without flaking or smudging.

Brush:

The brush is bushy and more like a squirrel’s tail than the newer rubber or plastic brushes that have become so common. This brush is more traditional but has plenty of bristles to separate and coat lashes evenly. I still prefer the wand of Charlotte Tilbury’s Full Fat Lashes mascara but this brush is great, too. It does not have the weird gap in the middle that “hourglass” brushes have, such as Too Faced Better Than Sex or Burberry Cat Lashes.

Formula:

This mascara is on the wet side; Lancome calls it “creamy.” I like the texture. I haven’t had any trouble with it smearing and it dries fast enough for me. It doesn’t make my lashes feel stiff or heavy. In fact, it’s flexible enough that I can build another coat after the first one sets, a trait that’s a huge selling point for me. I’ve even been able to get close to the roots without making a mess. Monsieur Big’s “wavy fibers” work better than the bristles of Dior Show’s brush for digging into that lashline.

Unfortunately the more you build, the more likely it is to clump. I don’t mind combing through a few clumps when the tradeoff is amazing volume but for some people this is a deal-breaker. You can wipe excess off the brush to prevent clumping. Or apply without wiping it down but use a lash comb; Tweezerman makes a great one. For a cheaper option, save the wand from an old mascara you’re throwing away and clean it thoroughly. The dry brush will separate clumps, too.

Monsieur Big is not waterproof but on most days I don’t need it to be.

I use Cinema Secrets Break It Down makeup remover on a cotton round to remove my eye makeup, but I’ve been able to wash this off with my usual foaming face cleanser from Paula’s Choice and warm water.

Performance:

With some mascaras I have to use lash primer as a base because I don’t get enough volume from the mascara alone. However, Monsieur Big lives up to its Franglais name. I don’t have to apply lash primer first. I do curl my lashes first but there is no other prep. The mascara gives me plenty of volume and length. It even holds a curl pretty well. I’ve had no smudging, flaking, or smearing. Monsieur Big still looks good at the end of a long day at work.

To use it on the bottom lashline, I blot the tip of the brush on a Kleenex and use the tip to gently catch those short lashes. I let the mascara dry before finishing with concealer and powder. I haven’t noticed any smudging under my eyes. I’ve been impressed with this mascara. It’s also blacker and thicker than MAC Bold and Bad Lash.

Travel Size:

Sephora and Ulta offer a $12 deluxe size. I highly recommend buying this before spending double that amount on the large tube. The brush is the same size and the formula is the same. You are just getting less product with the travel tube. This mascara doesn’t irritate my eyes but if you have sensitive eyes, it’s a good idea to start with the smaller tube and see how it goes. If you decide you love it, you can always buy the $25 standard tube next time.

Summary:

I’d repurchase the $12 deluxe travel size of Monsieur Big. It seems like a good value for the results I get. I’m unlikely to continually buy the $25 large tube of Monsieur Big because I replace my mascara every three months and that would become expensive.

I really like this mascara but if you hate fighting clumps, Definicils might be better for you.

Ingredients:

on 9/2/2017 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I sadly trusted Sephora reviews and didn't check on makeup alley, and bought this. It's okay on volume but nothing special. But it really did smudge on me, so I'm glad I only got a sample size.

Beautiful packaging with a large brush, no scent that I could tell. There is a lot of product.

The color black is rich and so beautiful, but this mascara is about volume and I only saw it perform well only once. The other uses is just like others, so this mascara did not deliver what it is advertised for. This is why I give a low rating.

I found that this mascara had no fall out, didn't smear on humid days.

Overrated