Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

3.4

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Light and sheer coverage for those who don’t want cakey face. Also gives my faces a glow. It won’t cover your obvious flaws like rosacea or scars but good for those who want a light wear on some days.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

For the money, I think it's a very good foundation. I still prefer Armani Luminous Silk on my combination skin (neither excessively oily nor dry). I wear The Ordinary Serum Foundation over Bare Minerals Prep Step or Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer and it lasts well on my skin without feeling heavy or thick. I set with Charlotte Tilbury's pressed powder. Coverage is medium. It gives me a satin finish, similar to that of Bobbi Brown's original Skin Foundation.

I usually apply with a Beautyblender sponge, but when I travel sometimes I substitute a dry wedge sponge or a brush such as the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. I like the foundation because I have a good color match and it evens out my skin tone without looking cakey or mask-like.

I've used more than half the bottle. I appreciate that The Ordinary includes a pump, however; I have learned to squirt this into the palm of my hand first. The pump has been known to squirt the foundation past my sponge and randomly onto nearby fabrics, the mirror, or the wall. I don't have this problem with all my foundation pumps, just this one. A minor quibble. I've also found that I need to shake the bottle before dispensing it. I've had the bottle for a few months.

I'll mention my shade in case this helps someone with a similar skin tone: In Bourjois Healthy Mix foundations I wear the shade 52 Vanille. In MAC's foundations I usually wear NC20 and Sand in Bobbi Brown's original Skin Foundation (not the new Long-Wear formula). In this foundation I am 1.2N Light Neutral, which has a yellow undertone. The Bourjois shade I wear is a bit less yellow than this one.

It's not my all-time favorite foundation but it's reasonably priced at $6.70, and I'm sure I'll finish the bottle. I like it enough to repurchase.

INGREDIENTS:

CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, AQUA (WATER), CAPRYLYL METHICONE, COCONUT ALKANES, METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, COCO CAPRYLATE/CAPRATE, DIMETHICONE/PEG-10/15 CROSSPOLYMER, CETYL DIGLYCERYL TRIS(TRIMETHYLSILOXY)SILYLETHYL DIMETHICONE, DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL, TOCOPHEROL, POLYGLYCERYL-3 DIISOSTEARATE, POLYGLYCERYL-3 POLYRICINOLEATE, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, HECTORITE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, HEXYL LAURATE, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, STEARIC ACID, ALUMINA, TRISODIUM ETHYLENEDIAMINE DISUCCINATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, CHLORPHENESIN. MAY CONTAIN [+/-]: TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), TIN OXIDE, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163), MICA, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is so much better than the coverage one in terms of texture and staying power. This is much more watery than the coverage foundation but only a tad less coverage than the other. To be honest, it was easy for the other one to look cakey or “makeup-ish” so I only used little dots every time, maybe that’s why I think the coverage is the same. But the serum foundation feels better on spreading , also there’s less worry that it’d look unnatural. I ordered 1.1NS which has silver highlights in it. I noticed a slight sheen to it comparing to 1.2N but that’s all. Also a tiny bit paler, which is lighter than my nc15-20. I think 1.1NS would be suitable for nc10 or N10. Dried down to semi matte and it covers my pores beautifully.
However oil control is a big no. I’m oily in summer and I look greasy by the end of the day. Using oil control primer helped a lot unlike the coverage foundation where there’s no hope at all. In winter when my skin is good this is perfect. But when my skin starts to flake I would reach out to other more hydrating products. I do not see how I can use it alone as a foundation. Overall it’s a good product given it’s price and color range, good coverage and very beautiful finish, but touch ups are necessary for oily skin people

I'm posting a review after using once and will update, thought I'd get it up since here is a lot of curiosity. It's very liquidy and half a pump would have done my face (I used a full pump the first time). I used a flat top brush to blend and it blended very well and easily. It covered discolourations and my under eye circles. It settled into my large nose pores so I might apply more lightly or use a primer to remedy. Overall this is an awesome product with even better price.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

I like this a lot as a lightweight summer fdtn! It's a very thin formula and feels like nothing on the skin. The lightest neutral shade is good for my nc10 skin, oxidices a bit but nothing major. Blends out so effortlessly and looks natural, leaves a healthy dewy finish to the skin. I have oily t zone and I do get oily after only like four hours so I do need to blot but that's no problem to me.

Packaging is okay, comes with a pump so that's always a plus, but obviously feels cheap cause that's what can be expected from a 6,90€ foundation so not a con imo.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Shade: 1.1 N

If I were to liken this to any high end foundation, it definitely reminds me a lot of NARS Luminous Weightless Foundation, or MAC Waterweight. It has a watery consistency which makes it very easy to work with and spreadable, but takes a minute longer to dry than I usually like waiting.
This foundation is the perfect sheer foundation, I love using it for work. It's not a buildable foundation, although I have seen a lot of reviews mention that one pump is enough, which I don't quite agree with. I use three small pumps, one to spread over my chin and jaw line, one for my nose and cheeks and then a last very small pump for my forehead.
I've used the product with a real techniques beauty blender once, and my fingers twice. I find using it with fingers works much better and does create a thicker layer to cover more redness.

I bought a neutral shade as I've seen a lot of people say that this product can oxidise in the Yellow toned versions. I don't find any oxidiseation in the neutral tone, and it looks well blended for about 5-6 hours, after that it does start to break up and become patchy. With some light translucent powder, I think this problem could be fixed. (Wore without powder this week for a true representation of the foundation.)

This product would work amazingly for dry skin, I have combination skin that is mostly oily, this is most likely what makes it break up as I've been wearing it under air-conditioning & in hot weather.

Pros:
Dewy & Light
Easy to apply
Good for my sensitive skin
Amazing colour range
Price is absolutely amazing for the product

Cons:
Does start to break up after a few hours of wear
Can become very oily in heat
Covers redness, but not blemishes (but that's what concealer was invented for!)

All in all, I definitely cannot complain for less than £6! It works amazingly to wear to my job.
P.s. I've been using this product with their Silicone Primer.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this in 1.2Y and 2.0N expecting to mix them since you have to buy them online without a swatch. I'm asian and have light skin because I avoid the sun lol, I found that the 1.2Y is quite yellow but this foundation is so sheer it blends out anyways, same thing with the neutral. It pulled pretty yellow but blends out nice. I like the sheer coverage and it lasts pretty well throughout the day. Works really well with the high spreadibility and the finish is pretty dewy. The pump is really nice too.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I, really, really like this product. I think it's super lightweight and I would actually say the coverage is more than light, I'd say it's a solid medium on my skin. It's VERY lightweight and it feels like nothing on. It seems to be all pigment, which I don't mind at all. It tends to take on the qualities of your base, which means if you moisturize well and use a hydrating primer it'll feel very hydrating, etc. So customize as you want for your particular skin type. The only thing is I actually wish it came without the SPF and I can just wear my own underneath. I find that the physical sunblocks tend to look a bit weird on certain parts of my skin like my nose, when mixed with pigment on top of blackheads etc (almost like super tiny bumps where the sunblock settles and almost highlights). But that's the SPF not the foundation so if you havent had a problem with that before then you probably wont even notice (a lot of korean BB creams give me the same effect). Definitely recommend this. Will be repurchasing.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I'm really enjoying this foundation. It is, as the name suggest, very light and runny. It blends in effortlessly. I normally use my fingers to blend in foundation since most of them can look cakey on me, but I can use fingers, brushes, or a sponge with this one. The coverage is medium. Definitely more than a tinted moisturizer or MAC and MUFE face and body, but less than something like NARS Sheer Glow (which is medium–full for me). I use less than a pump, it spreads very well.

The colour match on me is great! I use 3.0Y and am a NC42-44 in MAC. Again, I rarely find a perfect colour match (which is why I bought this in 3 colours!) but got lucky with this one and 3.0Y blends in seamlessly. They have a fairly broad colour range, though I think they need a couple more colours beyond their current darkest shade. I use 3.1Y on my cheekbones for a summer bronze, looks lovely.

Once applies, it really does look like second skin. One thing though, since this foundation doesn't have much body to it by itself, I think skin prep is important. If you have dry skin, make sure you moisturize well so that your skin glows. If you have oilier skin, I still recommend the moisturizing and then using a mattifying primer where you need it. Some parts of my face are very oily (nose, cheeks, forehead) but I'm also prone to dry spots and flaking around my mouth. This foundation does not control oil per se, but it doesn't make matters worse either. A primer and a bit of powder will go a long way. It does not catch on dry spots or make my flakey. I use MUFE Step 1 mattifying primer, works like a charm. Also, I have extremely clog-prone skin and this does not clog my pores or break me out!! I think the ingredients are top notch.

The only thing holding my back from calling this my HG foundation is that by the end of the day it gets a teeny bit cakey on my upper lip and chin. I think this is fixable though and with some practice, I expect I'll be able to avoid that minimal cakiness as well. (Note that I like a really natural, undetectable finish.)

As for packaging, I'm glad it has a pump. I initially wished the bottle was glass but a heavy plastic is far more durable and travel friendly.

Honestly, I must say this this is brilliant, even regardless of price. So give it a try! If you like a natural finish and a versatile foundation, this is it! This will not give you full coverage so if that's what you seek, maybe try the Coverage Foundation. Given my great experience with the Serum foundation, I have high hopes for that one too.

UPDATE:
Still liking this foundation but it did go from love to like. Why? The colour. This could be categorized as user error but their yellow shades are _extremely_ yellow. I have terrible lighting in my room, so I didn't notice till I was applying this in a car with plenty of sunlight. It blends in but it's wayyy too yellow. I'd have to buy the red shade to mix together (they don't have a 3.0N). Such a shame, the depth is perfect but just off on the undertone. Note that I have a olive/golden-y complexion, I always buy yellow toned foundations and have actually never come across one that was too yellow. I do think 3.0Y will be too yellow for many people unfortunately.
Aside from that, still hasn't broken me out. Wears well, looks good. I just apply very lightly around my mouth to prevent cakiness (I use a little colour correction underneath due to darkness). Downgraded to 4 lippies.

Another issue: the pumps are low quality. I'm certain they'll be changing this soon so I'm not penalizing them for it.

I haven't ordered the 3.0R shade (out of stock right now anyway), instead I'm going to try using this as a yellow corrector for my MUFE water blend foundation which is too pink. hahaha, undertones are hard to nail down I suppose!

Honestly, from most of the reviews that i’ve seen or read, i didn’t expect anything at all. I literally bought it coz it was cheap and i was bored lol.

Now this foundation is literally all i use on a daily basis.

Pros :
-super duper light weight
-low medium coverage (right up my alley)
-goes on seamlessly with a brush
-doesnt accentuate any dryness or pores
-not cakey whatsoever
-do i need to mention the price again?
-on my skin the finish is not matte not dewy, it’s right at that middle sweet spot, “natural”

Cons :
Honestly i can’t think of anything.

For CAD 6.70 i have no complaints whatsoever.

10/10 would recommend.

Oh just in case this could be any help, the shade i got, 2.0YG is almost spot on like MUFE ultra HD Y245.