L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Lash Paradise Mascara

3.3

on 12/27/2018 7:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

My new HG mascara, and I'm incredibly picky! This gives me the fake lash effect I love and makes me look like I have a million lashes. Less is more with this as the formula is quite wet so it's easy to overdo it - I find there's enough on the brush to do both eyes without going back into the tube, whereas I'd usually need 2 or 3 brushes worth to achieve my desired look with other mascaras.

The size of the brush makes it a bit difficult to get into the corners of my eyes and towards the end of the day I do get some little flakes under my eyes, but those are the only (very minor) downsides for me. Best drugstore mascara I've found and probably rivals higher end ones too.

on 12/26/2018 10:19:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

The best things can say about this mascara is that it has great staying power and nice packaging. No matter what I did, it left my lashes a clumped, globby mess that no amount of post application combing and spoolie-ing could fix. This one is going in the trash.

on 12/9/2018 6:39:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Overall I like this for a drugstore mascara. The formula is a bit dry and it applies smoothly without clumping. It does a decent job thickening my lashes, and it's okay for lengthening. I really like the brush, too.
It doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes at all and I have no flaking with it, either.
I love the case; it looks classy.

on 12/9/2018 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I’ve purchased this mascara twice. Several of my friends find it comparable to the Better than Sex mascara and I thought it might be as good as some of the higher end mascaras. I’ve only tried sample versions of the BTS but personally I didn’t find this mascara to be as effective as it or the L’Oréal Voluminous mascara. This particular mascara has a thick brush which I think helps with vollume but I found it hard to get it to the roots of my lashes for the lengthening effect I like. It also transferred a bit on me and the black was not as dark as I prefer. As.I don’t care for clumpy lashes that stay too wet, this just wasn’t my cup of tea. It might be yours if you like those things in.your mascara.

When I go high end I usually use a Lancôme mascara or Tarte’s Light Camera - they seem to give me the best combination of length and volume - and although I was hoping this would give those a run for their money, it did not.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I tried this mascara because of Tati on youtube--I think I bought it once before and liked it but it wasn't my go-to at the time for some reason. I tried it again recently, and the first couple applications were okay, nothing special--and then after it dried out just a tiny bit, and now it's BOMB. It lengthens a little, but the VOLUME! It doesn't clump much, and it's pretty quick to apply. This is now my favorite mascara. It looks amazing with a full eye look or nothing else on your face. It will flake the tiniest bit after extended wear, but those are easy to brush off and it's really a tiny amount (I touch my eyelashes a lot because my contacts dry out throughout the day).

I cannot recommend this enough! Best drugstore mascara in my opinion.

EDIT: After reading some other reviews, I realized I forgot to mention the trick to applying this mascara (especially when it's newer).

When taking the wand out of the tube, angle it to one side so that it scrapes the excess off one side. Curl your eyelashes, then apply the first layer with the side that has more product, and then smooth it out with the side of the brush that has less product. This way it's not clumpy at all, and there's not too much on your lashes. If it's still a little clumpy, use a spoolie or a old cleaned mascara wand to comb them through and separate any lashes that happen to clump. This will look a lot better than just taking the wand out normally and slapping it on!

on 11/29/2018 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

such a good mascara. one of the best in the drugstore, IMO. it's not flaky or too clumpy yet gives volume and length. the black is very black. and it lasts the whole day. i love it. repurchasing for sure.

on 11/25/2018 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

UPDATE: Not even a month later... my mascara is clumping up sooo bad. Last night my boyfriend said I had “pepper under my eyes”. The mascara was flaking off. It hasn’t done that before. Uh oh. I may just have to go back on everything I said before about this product. It’s definitely not worth spending $9 twice a month. Hopefully it’s just the bottle I bought and not the formula all together because newp!!

AMAMZING product!! I am super picky about mascara and this one has me mind blown. I use three coats and let me tell you, my lashes are super beautiful. I did not get waterproof as I have researched over and over that it’s bad for your lashes. My pictures are the super close up by Lala6699. Only curled my lashes and then applied three coats and one to the back of my lashes. Try this!!!

on 11/21/2018 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Like the formula, HATE the wand. All the problems with this mascara can be traced back to the wand, which comes out limp, soggy and sodden with product every time. You wouldn't believe the amount of product that needs to be wiped off on a tissue before this will apply without clumps. After blotting, it's a lovely mascara, nice and soft and feathery, and it lasts through the day without melting, which is fantastic.

Now let's consider the economics. Until now, I have never, ever, not once in my life EVER managed to finish even a sample size mascara before the six month expiration date. Due to the aggressive blotting required to make this usable, I finished this mascara in one month, which is just insane. That means that at $10 a pop, a year's supply of Lash Paradise would cost me $120, as opposed to $20 for two mid-end sample mascaras. That's 600% more money... for a drugstore mascara that doesn't perform any better and has a really annoying wand. Now I'm no mathematician but I will not be taking L'Oreal up on that deal.

on 11/14/2018 8:11:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I've been using this mascara for a while now. It's only when I've compared it with other mascaras that I've realised how good it is.

It creates excellent volume and length, and really opens up my eyes. It looks all soft and feathery, which I really like. I have quite sensitive eyes and this one seems less likely to irritate them. It also doesn't smudge above the eye on application, which is a common problem, so you can easily apply several layers.

Why one star deducted?

I'm not a huge fan of the packaging because I think it looks quite cheap and insubstantial. You also don't get a lot for your money considering it costs more than the average drugstore mascara and it dries up pretty quickly towards the end. I think they could make the packaging slightly bigger and give you a little more product.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This mascara has the potential to be a clumpy mess. I always wipe all excess product off the wand before use. I've also noticed that some mascaras work best when you really work the wand inbetween all the lashes from root to tip, and others work best lightly swept over the lashes just enough to coat. The latter method has amazing results for me with this one. I do two coats. I do notice a teensy bit more length with BTS, if you're comparing, but I have no smudging with this one like I do with Too Faced. I JUST LOVE YOU, LASH PARADISE.

It does dry out quickly, but if it works better than other mascaras at twice the price, then it still ends up being a better value, in my opinion.