wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.2

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is the first time I've tried a Wet N' Wild foundation, and after 3 applications I still can't get it to work for me. The color match is really good (I got mine in Rose Ivory, and I am a cool borderline/ neutral tones pale chick), and I like the packaging...but that's it. The biggest issue I have is the major cake face this gives me. When I apply it, it just sits on top of my skin, and has that kind of dry silicone feeling that a lot of primers have. I don't feel it blends that well. It literally flakes my skin out everywhere, even my forehead. I know I could try different application methods, and I could try to really moisturize a lot beforehand...but honestly I don't want a foundation I have to take extra steps with, just to make it look normal.

I'll give it a try in the summertime and update my review if anything changes. Otherwise, this is a dud for me, and I'd advise anyone with dry skin to avoid this product.

on 3/5/2017 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Now, I am most definitely not a fussy person. Only one word can is needed to begin this review, and I'm positive you know what it's going to be.

PAINT.

Ok. Maybe I'm just having a hard last couple of weeks because I am not usually bothered by smells, the only thing that really turns my stomach is the smell of death. If you're lucky enough to not have smelled it before, death is the smell of a (insert unlucky creature's species name HERE) carcass that's been baking all day on the hot asphalt of an old country road, under the searing rays of the mid-August sun somewhere in Alabame. Down south, the heat and obnoxious humidity will only cause this poor critter to decompose at an extraordinary rate. Decomposing critters combined with the thickness and stale air experienced during those long summer days means that you better roll them windows up or you'll learn about the stench of death quick, fast and in a hurry! So tell me why the smell of this foundation was utterly unbearable to me?!

And who else is over new gadgets and contraptions? Remember those days when all we wanted was a PUMP?! It's like we blazed past pumps, probably the most universally perfect method for dispensing almost all foundations, to droppers and now spatulas. Even if you only casually read reviews here on MUA or elsewhere on the Internet, you will quickly learn that the droppers were universally disliked by the populace. It seemed like not a single brand, whether drugstore or HE, was able to get it right. I'm always game for something new but I just can't get behind the included spatula either...This issue is similar my issue with the overwhelming (to ME) paint smell: I am NOT a germaphobe! When I first opened it, I looked at the odd little spatula and was truly at a loss for what to do next. I deduced through careful analysis (HAHAHA not really) and came to the conclusion that, unless you deposit what you'll need from the spatula onto a mixing palette, a CLEAN foundation brush or a CLEAN beauty sponge, you WILL introduce germs, bacteria and oils back into the bottle. Yuck. I honestly don't know why this is even an issue for me but it is. I don't doubt for a hot second that there's ladies out there that will sanitize that silly little spatula after every use! To that, I say, "Do you baby girl!!"

The 'Photo Focus' formula is too lacking for me to even consider that kind of effort. When I wore it last, I applied it, walked away and several minutes later, I returned to see that the foundation had at least set to a wonderful looking satin finish. Please note that the satin finish may have more to do with my own personal skincare than the foundation itself. Unfortunately, the next step in my makeup application process was its third strike against it. Using the Real Techniques, I dusted what I felt was a light amount of the powder also released as part of the collection...And I suddenly looked like a freaking corpse!! The foundation went completely stark flat and matte!! It was like the foundation had absorbed the powder and not in a way that could work in our favor. It was true a mask, clinging and suffocating to my skin.

Asta la vista baby! It's rare for me to not find something workable within a product but, man, this one was just not good for me. As we all know, YMMV. I did what felt right to me and promptly exchanged it for 'Wet N Wilds' resurrected and insanely hyped 'Precious Petals' highlighter at my local CVS. Winning!

on 2/24/2017 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I was excited to try this one out based on other reviews but it did not work for me at all. From first try it was hard to blend and patchy. The foundation stuck to some areas and wouldn't stick to others, my whole forehead looked dry and flakey, and it attached to areas around my nose and chin instantly. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, I have combination skin and can't imagine it will work for normal, combination, or dry skin types.

I soooo wanted to love this! I actually really liked the spatula, and once on the foundation looked great. My contour and blush powders blended seemlessly, which I loved. Unfortunately, the foundation broke down and easily wiped off not too long after application. It made my face feel unusually greasy, and I couldn't wait to wipe the stuff off when I got home.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Color is great, doesn't oxidize on me. Breaks up after a few hours and it's hard to build coverage. Bad formula good colors and Idea

I wanted to love this! Wet n Wild foundations usually work well for me. Was very powdery and cakey. Don't know what else to say about it. I applied with a sponge. Thumbs down! Wish I still had my receipt to return it!

on 1/24/2017 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The color match was perfect and the price is very reasonable, so that was good. Unfortunately, the ended up being a chalky dried out mess on me. I have extremely oily skin too, so I'm amazed that something could make me look dry, but it did. I love the pressed powder in this line, but this foundation wasn't good for me at all.

The good:

This goes on fine, and is buildable. Sheer with the first coat. Pretty good coverage with the second. (I don't do more than 2.)

This lasts all day on my combo to oily skin.

It does what it says and reduces flashback in photos.

The bad:

I know this is inexpensive, but I'd rather have no applicator than the one included. That being said, I just pour a few drops of this on a plastic palate and use it from there. I guess the applicator may help get the remnants of the product out when I start to reach the end of the bottle.

This oxidizes on me within an hour of application and goes from a perfect match to slightly orange. It's probably only noticeable to me, so it's not extreme or anything and I do intend to finish the bottle rather than give it away or throw it out. That being said, the oxidation is the reason I will not purchase again.

Good value. Not the best coverage.

So I'm 1 month in since I bought this in the lightest shade Porcelain. My thoughts:

- Shade: is a good match for my pale skin. Comparable to Maybelline fitme matte in Porcelain, but has a more of a pink undertone.
- Formula: Like its name, it's pretty matte. Some people say it has an almost satin finish, but my impression is that its predominantly matte. Picks up any dry patches and/or little whiteheads like crazy. I tried with a good moisturizer/primer but it didn't change the end result much.

Bottom Line: I had high hopes as this is one of the most hyped bargain drugstore foundation in the beauty community and youtubers. I'm going to use the remaining (most) of the product to mix in with other foundations to shade-match, but won't buy it again.