wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.2

on 8/30/2017 11:18:00 AM

Holy buckets!

Another product I came across thanks to the YouTube beauty community.

I've always been skeptical of Wet n Wild simply because of the price. I'd buy their lipsticks now and again because they were cheap, but I rarely bought any face products. Though the formulas aren't always better for pricier items, they typically contain better ingredients that don't irritate my hella acne-prone skin as much as their cheaper counterparts. The YouTube community was raving however so, given it's AWESOME price point, I figured I couldn't go wrong. I was so pleasantly surprised! The shade matched perfectly (which is super hard for me because I'm fair, but warm-toned, which typically comes across too yellow), the coverage is full but your skin still looks like your skin (no "mask" effect), the formula was incredibly easy to work with and it lasted all day long, even on my oil-slick of a face! Just like any other foundation, this one works best with a primer and/or a setting spray, but DAMN! Wet n Wild is stepping it up!

Some of their other newer items that I'm in love with are their Liquid Catsuit liquid matte lipsticks and their new highlighters are ON POINT.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

For reference; my favourite foundation is Tarte Rainforest Of The Sea, for which I wear Fair Neutral. I went for Porcelain in Photo Focus - a teensy bit too yellow toned, but it blends easily to a great match.

Photo Focus is wonderful for this time of year; My skin is dry and sensitive and the weather makes it worse, so I need something that won't feel heavy, or show up the dry patches and make my skin flake. This feels so light and silky on my skin and blending is easy (a damp beauty sponge is my preferred application method). Once blended, the results are a smooth satin finish, with build-able sheer to medium coverage. The feel and finished look of Photo Focus reminds me of my old favourite foundation; the discontinued Max Factor Xperience Weightless foundation.

I've found Photo Focus to be transfer resistant and I've worn with a primer, without one, with powder and alone; It is long lasting and gives a natural, un-cakey look any way I wear it, but I do recommend using the Wet n Wild Photo Focus setting spray for a really long wear time, as I prefer the natural look that combo gives the most. I'm really liking this and can't find any real negative points with it; the smell is a small niggle, but it fades before I can pinpoint it, so it's nowhere near as strong as reviewers & vloggers lead me to believe it would be.

Photo Focus is not my favourite foundation, but it's very close - Rainforest Of The Sea just feels more moisturizing and refreshing as it's water based. However when I'm cracking down on how much I spend and can't justify the expense of Rainforest Of The Sea [or when QVC UK runs out of my shade & take forever to restock], I'll very happily buy this again.

on 7/14/2017 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my usual go to foundation for every day. The main issue I had with this in the beginning was that it has a smell similar to nail polish, but after using it a few times I don't mind it. The texture is not my favorite but you get what you pay for ($5.99). I use it every day because it is cheap and replaceable, unlike my Lancome foundation. The coverage is light to medium, I feel if you work with it a bit and use powder it has the potential to be full coverage. I have oily skin and this does not cover that up at all even though it doesn't claim to. Since I am oily it can rub off on my shirt or on my hand if I rub on my face, but I am fairly good at not touching it. I have broken out slightly after using this regularly so if you have super sensitive skin I wouldn't recommend this. Definitely not long lasting.
However, this is not the perfect foundation and not ideal, this is perfect if you are in a pinch and can't afford to replace your more high-end product right away. I used this during my first year of college when I couldn't afford to use up my pricey items. Since I am not big on instagram or anything, I cannot confirm or deny that the claims on the bottle are true (perfect in any lighting on camera).

on 6/19/2017 3:33:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This foundation has a great color range, especially for such an affordable brand. I love the little applicator wand and the simple glass packaging. The shades also come with undertone descriptions on the bottle, which is handy and makes choosing your shade a lot easier.

Performance-wise, it works really well for me. It does sink into my pores and accentuate them, so I have to make sure to use a pore filling primer on certain areas before application. It's definitely not a natural foundation, it is obvious I am wearing foundation when I apply this. That being said, it looks beautiful after proper prep and it provides a really nice medium/full, buildable coverage. It wears well for several hours (as long as I set it). The longest I've worn it is maybe 5 hours in very warm weather and it held up really well, even in my T zone. I am very acne prone and I don't feel that this foundation breaks me out, which is a HUGE bonus.

However it smells horrible, like literal paint. I mean, I'm sure the majority of foundations smell this way before added scents and masking agents. But actually smelling it as I apply it to my face gives me anxiety by confronting me with the reality of how horrible for your skin foundation actually is. Due to this, I never reach for it anymore. It's not always the case that more affordable foundations have worse ingredients, but when it comes to this foundation, I do think that my skin has been sensitive to it. I have experienced a bit of stinging after application, but it could've been something else as I only experienced this once or twice. But all of these factors combined just kind of make me reluctant to retry it past the initial tests.

On a budget, this is a decent foundation. The packaging with the spatula is fantastic! It does smell strongly of paint, but not enough to bother me. I do like the feel of the dry down of the foundation. Not dewy, but a dry touch. It has medium coverage. Doesn't have super long staying power though. Maybe nice for quick makeup days where you don't need makeup to last all day. It is a maybe repurchase for me.

on 4/27/2017 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Great foundation - made my sensitive skin freak out!

This foundation has a fabulous price point and blends beautifully on the skin. With a setting powder, it stays fresh-looking for the majority of the day. Unfortunately for me and my very sensitive, allergy-prone skin, it was just too harsh. It definitely smells a little chemically, and my cheeks (which have a little eczema) flared up immediately and felt rough in texture after wearing this 1x. I also noticed that I would experience a lot more breakouts and irritation on my skin after wearing.

Overall:
PROS
-blends well on skin
-stays in place, lasts a long time
-amazing price point
-cruelty-free

CONS
-smell
-too harsh for sensitive skin
-broke me out

Skin: Very Dry, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This product is one of the best foundations in the drugstore, and I know the makeup industry well. It takes great photos, possesses high blendability, enhances skin's appearance, and gives healthy but not over the top glow. It is a stunning foundation on and I would/have/do put it head-to-head with Maybelline Fit Me and Revlon Colorstay, fairly beloved drugstore foundations.

I have normal skin (not oily and not dry)
& at first application this foundation is beautiful! It makes your skin look even, yet natural, and gives you a flawless and smooth look but after an hour it left me super oily and shiny.
The smell is strong of paint but quickly goes away.
I wish it would have worked for me because it's super inexpensive and looks beautiful at first.

on 4/8/2017 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I have the shade Mocha. This shade is fiery orange. In the trash it went.

I give this foundation 3 lippies. At first it gave a beautiful finish. Semi Dewy. As other reviewers stated it did have a smell of paint. I legit felt like I was at Sherwin Williams. Where this foundation failed for me is that one it oxidized at least three shades darker then what I am and it did not provide as much coverage as I had hoped for. I know a lot of reviewers said this felt like cake face. When first applied it does not look caked but as the day goes on it definitely settles in lines and creases. Ill leave this foundation for the preschooler's who want to dabble in make up. As for me I heard good things about this foundation otherwise I would have never considered putting a wet n wild foundation on my face. I will stick to my holy grail double wear. Worth trying at the price point but do not expect amazing results. You get what you pay for. For reference I am a NW22 in Mac Studio Fix and a 2C1 Fresco in double wear and I purchased the color 03 Buff Bisque and it was a good match at first not after it oxidized.