wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.2

on 4/11/2017 2:33:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This product is pretty decent for a drugstore brand that automatically takes your mind to thinking of the dollar general or 99cent store. (oh childhood nostalgia) but I bought it to check out what everyone was raving over and to........attempt to dodge a bullet with my already horrible foundation that I spend a ton of cash on. --

Packaging! It feels like a luxury brand. It is made out of glass, it is heavy and feels like they spent the coin to ensure that the product would last. Albeit simple in design, the product wrapping the foundation is really nice.

Actual Foundation wise -- the color matched incredibly well with mine and blended smoothly across my combination skin without much of a fuss. And I love the fact that they are one of the first American brands outside of Korean beauty products like Holika Holika petit aqua creme to use a spatula type applicator. Having a spatula type applicator made it easier to shellac that baby onto my face without dirtying up the back of my hand or fingers. And so far it played rather well with my Nyx concealer and Holika Holika cotton candy powder in translucent. HOWEVERRRRR I haven't tried to build upon it since I am a little iffy on resulting in caking my foundation for satan. Maybe it is just me but I have yet to witness or experience the oxidization that people were talking about (maybe it is for darker skin tones that oxidation of the product occurs) and rests with a slightly tacky/dewy-matte appearance. It's difficult to describe the actual texture of the dried foundation because out of habit I dust my face always with a setting powder. :)

I also heard from a lot of beauty gurus from the you of tubes that the smell of this foundation is something to be wary of. That it has a scent reminiscent of wet house paint that ultimately it is disgusting/unpleasant but tolerable enough to use the foundation. The photo focus foundation does have the smell that is a little.........chemically even paint like -- for instance acrylic paints you use in making art. Buuuuuuuuut Honestly? There are other high-end brand foundations such as Urban Decay's Naked Skin foundation that smell this way as well but no one tends to mention them at all. Surprise.It's tolerable and to be frank far more pleasant to deal with than some smells we get with cosmetics such as dripping in saccharine scents.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Well...I will say I like this a lot better than their previous Coverall foundation (which I hated). Photo Focus has some good and bad points. I do think this is going to be one of those products where people either go rabid bashing it OR they absolutely rave about it.

The Photo Focus reminds me a lot of Loreal's True Match with perhaps a little bit more slip to it. I prefer it to the True Match, which isn't saying much. I see a lot of people comparing this to Revlon Colorstay but honestly that may only be due to the paint scent. This is lighter coverage and a more liquid-y consistency than the Colorstay.

I would consider Photo Focus to be medium coverage. It definitely covers more than I assumed it would. I bought the palest shade - Porcelain. This shade is about NC10 applied by oxidizes to NC15ish. Honestly that's still paler than a lot of the lighter shades in drugstores so I can't complain. Keep in mind the NC stands for "not cool", meaning it's warm toned. I find this is more yellow-y than straight up warm. The deeper warm shades seem more orange based though, your mileage may vary.

I have oily skin and although this applies relatively demi-matte, I found it lacks any oil control. As the day goes on it gets greasy. :( I can see a layer of oil form within hours and it pools into my pores. On the other hand it seems to accentuate dry patches so those with very dry skin should either double up on the moisturizer first, or skip Photo Focus altogether.

I made this work for me by: 1. applying a hydrating sunscreen primer first and 2. mixing a tiny bit of my favorite suuuuuper matte foundation in (Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse). *If* you can find a way to make this work for you, it's totally worth it. I think its a good (not great..just good..which is better than most in my book) foundation.

on 3/24/2017 5:13:00 PM

This foundation worked better for me than my MUFE HD foundation. I use a mattifying primer underneath and apply it with a beauty blender. Then I apply concealer, set that with a finishing powder then I finish it all off with MAC mineralize to get a flawless result. I do notice that I get a little oily as the day progresses but that usually happens to me with all foundations. It has a spatula applicator that I'm not a fan of but the worst part is the smell. It reeks of paint. Overall, the quality of the product itself is worth the small cons.

on 3/24/2017 2:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Just got this at CVS where they seemed to have over 10 shades in stock. I got soft beige, which is a perfect match to my skin, at first. One point off because it takes a while to dry down, and it darkened as it did. So maybe get one shade lighter than you need?
Lovely medium finish, similar to my favorite Colorstay, only with more sheen. A great deal for the price and I love the bottle and applicator.

ETA: it doesn't play nicely with all concealers. Make sure to apply concealer first, or strange things may happen to the texture.

on 3/23/2017 12:22:00 AM

I super love this foundation!

It covers really well and looks oh so natural.

The smell reminds me of Estée Lauder double wear.

I love how my skin looks so flawless. I've been reaching for this stuff over my Mac Pro,long wear, smashbox studio skin and loreal infallible. It is currently my fave!

I love how it photographs too. No filter needed! I use this with a buffing brush. Will try to use it with beauty blender.

on 3/18/2017 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Skin Type: This is the foundation for combo/oily skin! If you have dry skin and dry patches, be sure to put a hydrating primer before application.
Coverage: Medium. I don't recommend layering this foundation. it would look cakey.
Finish: satin-matte. It also blurs my pores.
Fragrance: it smells like paint but doesn't linger.
Staying Power: 8-10 hrs. For my oily skin, I need to blot after 6 hrs, but the foundation stays on pretty well. It doesn't become blotchy. Still beautiful.

This foundation is a little tricky to use. I don't why that it accentuates my dry patches whenever i use my Laura Mercier setting powder. It works well with some primers but not for all. I haven't found a perfect foundation routine to use it. If i know which primer and powder work for it, i would update.
Overall, this is a decent foundation. I like the finish and staying power for my oily skin.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I didn't care for this but I really wanted to like it and Wet n Wild has been coming out with amazing products lately...so I had an open mind. The first strike was the lighter colors, even the lightest was too dark and yellow for me. They were advertising a huge shade range so that as well as stores not carrying all the colors was disappointing. The bottle and spatula are fine, no issue with that. The smell is very chemical/paint like which would be easier to overlook if I liked the foundation. The coverage was heavyish...powdery and settled into lines which I don't have many of so yeah...not good. I have very well behaved skin that is combo...very very slightly dry in some areas and very very slightly oily in others. This is kind of why I hate most full coverage foundation, generally it makes you look worse, older and trying too hard because of heaviness and bringing out fine lines and being grotesque and mask like...that was exactly what this did unfortunately. Almost every YouTube review I've seen of this was the same, even if they liked the foundation after a little while of wear it looked really cakey settled into fine lines. Lots of Wet and Wild products perform like a million bucks, but for me that this was definitely not one of them. If you're looking for a full coverage Foundation that doesn't give a grotesque whatever happened to Baby Jane like mask effect... I recommend Kat Von D Lock-It, and it has better shade range especially for pale people.

I recently purchased this foundation in several shades. I wanted to love it so much because I read and heard great reviews. I hate this foundation. It looks cakey arpund my eyebrows, nose and mouth. My glasses rub the product off. I was using it with both a primer and setting powder and setting spray. It transferred everywhere. very unsatisfied.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

More reviews by MarvelousBee

This product is underwelming. I've tried wearing and applying it 4 different times and all have been disappointed. I've applied it with a beauty blender, flat top brush, and a stippling brush if I spelled that right. Just didn't move around or sit right. I used it with a primer and without one still broke up on my face around my mouth and it was on for about a hour or 2. If you do use this foundation you have to work fast because once it dries that's it. I had to work too hard to make this foundation work for me and then it was cakey and it separated not even after a full day. I'm going to give it one more try without a setting spray and use a different type of brush to apply it and try not to use a lot of it to see if that helps. I made a very honest review about this product on YouTube.
More reviews by MarvelousBee

on 2/19/2017 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

yo, this stuff is horrible. I'm oily as hell and it made me look dry, it broke up on my nose and WOULD NOT blend out. the packaging is horrible. this feels like a primer on your face, but not in a good way. it sits on top of your skin and feels like it's coming off the whole day. it has little to no coverage. the only good thing was the color match, i was the lightest shade and it is a godsend for pale people.