wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.0

on 8/2/2017 6:20:00 PM

My boyfriend's mom purchased two shades from this foundation line and they were too light for her. She gave them to me to see if maybe I would be a match considering I'm fair-skinned (I've never reached a "Medium" label in the makeup line like ever). Both shades were super light on my already light skin and just ugh I don't even know how to describe the way it stayed on my skin. I had primer on but it was as if the foundation just clung to my skin for dear life. Trying to remove it was awful and it was just like smearing it in the area applied. The smell is gag-worthy. Someone said it was akin to paint thinner and I agree wholeheartedly. I did like the little spatula attached to the cap though!

Great foundation for the price, love the little spatula that comes in the bottle. blends out really easily. It doesn't cake up in pores, and is pretty full coverage. probably my favorite foundation.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

For reference; my favourite foundation is Tarte Rainforest Of The Sea, for which I wear Fair Neutral. I went for Porcelain in Photo Focus - a teensy bit too yellow toned, but it blends easily to a great match.

Photo Focus is wonderful for this time of year; My skin is dry and sensitive and the weather makes it worse, so I need something that won't feel heavy, or show up the dry patches and make my skin flake. This feels so light and silky on my skin and blending is easy (a damp beauty sponge is my preferred application method). Once blended, the results are a smooth satin finish, with build-able sheer to medium coverage. The feel and finished look of Photo Focus reminds me of my old favourite foundation; the discontinued Max Factor Xperience Weightless foundation.

I've found Photo Focus to be transfer resistant and I've worn with a primer, without one, with powder and alone; It is long lasting and gives a natural, un-cakey look any way I wear it, but I do recommend using the Wet n Wild Photo Focus setting spray for a really long wear time, as I prefer the natural look that combo gives the most. I'm really liking this and can't find any real negative points with it; the smell is a small niggle, but it fades before I can pinpoint it, so it's nowhere near as strong as reviewers & vloggers lead me to believe it would be.

Photo Focus is not my favourite foundation, but it's very close - Rainforest Of The Sea just feels more moisturizing and refreshing as it's water based. However when I'm cracking down on how much I spend and can't justify the expense of Rainforest Of The Sea [or when QVC UK runs out of my shade & take forever to restock], I'll very happily buy this again.

I actually really hate this foundation and am totally surprised when I see it talked up in the beauty-sphere. Number one, it smells god-awful. I'm not usually one to complain about scents, and I don't need all my products to smell like roses, but this was just unbearable. It smelled like cheap paint and it never faded, I could smell it on my face all day. Aside from that, it just ended up bringing out all my texture issues, so I just looked like a bumpy, cakey mess. The longevity was average for me, about 7 to 8 hours, but it just looked so uneven, even though I applied it with my real techniques sponge.

The bright side is that the shade I bought, nude ivory, was a great match for my neutral fair skintone. I also only paid about $6 for this at CVS, so it's a great option of this works for you (although I can only see it working for people with normal skin completely free of any texture issues like closed comedomes, acne scars, dry patches, ect., and those people might not even be inclined to choosing this medium-full coverage foundation). Either way, I advise you to save your money and look for better rated drugstore options.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I liked the formula and the low price. I think I would buy this again!

on 6/14/2017 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really like this foundation for the price! They have quite a few color options, but they were a little confusing. The best I could do in the store was look at the bottle and look at my skin. I just know is that I'm fair and neutral. My Walgreen's wasn't stocked super great when I went, but I picked up Nude Ivory. (A week or so later I saw another shade that probably would've matched me slightly better, at another retailer, but that's okay.) Nude Ivory is a pretty decent match, but a tad dark for my skin. It's soooo slightly too dark. Not a big deal, I blend it down my neck and it looks perfect.
The formula does indeed smell like paint but it dissipates fairly quickly and I don't notice it after I'm done doing my makeup. I'm not a huge fan of the spatula situation. It's not bad. I'd just prefer a pump, but I know that'd make it more costly so I get why they don't do it. It's such an affordable foundation and I appreciate that so much. Sometimes I don't want to purchase a $40 foundation, because geeze that's spendy. I'm so glad Wet n Wild exists as a brand and they keep their stuff affordable and cruelty-free! Anyways, I digress.
Wearing this I noticed that if I use too much it does indeed get cakey. I think this is probably a medium coverage foundation, but I prefer a lighter coverage foundation these days so I use just a dab on my cheeks, forehead, and chin and blend it out with a beauty blender or my real techniques sponge. I find this works super well. I set it with the Wet N Wild "Bronzer" in the shade "Reserve Your Cabana" lightly, as if I pack on this powder too much you can see that it's too dark for my skintone. (I love this powder btw.) This sets my makeup really well and makes the finish look flawless.
I find this foundation lasts all day on my skin and I haven't noticed a break out specifically from this product, but of course as with any product YMMV.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

After knowing how my face reacts to their crappy foundation i stupidly tried this product.....it looked like a mask the whole evening, if i touched my face a smear was left behind. The next day (today) part of my face beside my nose is swollen it looks grotesque like i have some type of facial edema. Horrible cystic acne brewing the worst i've ever had. If you have any cystic acne probs steer clear of this horseshit. Plus when I first opened it the neck of the bottle was broken, if i had liked it I wouldve had to put it in a different container......turns out the trash container worked best.

on 5/28/2017 7:16:00 PM

Love the packaging, really wish every other company who don't supply a pump with their foundations would use a spatula! This applies really well but makes pores stand out a MILE! Looks very cakey and fake after just an hour, such a pity as it looks great after you just apply it. Probably great for younger skin.

on 5/4/2017 8:50:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'm a little on the fence with this one. I don't hate it, but don't love it either.

Pros:
-After powder, blush and contour is applied, this gives me the most natural finish of any foundation I've used.
-Holds up as well as my high-end foundations for long days at the office without oxidizing or moving around (with primer and set with powder and setting spray like I do with all my foundation).
-sheer coverage, but buildable without getting cakey.

Cons:
-Shade. This probably wouldn't be an issue for most people since there is such a range of colours, but as always on my vampire face, even the lightest shade is too dark and yellow-toned for me, meaning I'm left to even out the shade with powder or mixing to make it match.
-It's buildable, but if you have problem skin or more extreme redness/discolouration, this isn't going to do anything for you and it's still going to need to be used with a good concealer for small problem areas, whereas with other foundations, I can get away with not using concealer.
-If I don't use a really good primer, this does tend to rub off and separate on my noise quite a lot, but this is the case with a lot of foundations, so it's likely more to do with my weird skin than the product itself. However, there are a handful of products I don't have that problem with, so this could be better in that respect.

I have combo skin and my T-zone somehow manages to get both oily and dry at the same time (how does that even happen), and this does a decent job of not accentuating any weird texture on my face too much, so in that respect, it's better than most foundations I've tried. I do find I need to work with it a bit to get it even, so it's not something that I feel like I can slap on my face before running out the door, but when I can put the time in, it really gives a great natural finish to my skin without looking like I have a ton of product on. It goes on light and doesn't feel heavy and does a decent job at evening out my skin without suffocating it. My skin does have some redness in it in the cheek area, and trying to get it even between the redder areas and regular areas is what takes me the longest. For people with more even complexions, this would probably be less of an issue.

For application, I find it's best to use a beauty blender or other sponge applicator, as the formula is VERY thin and prone to brush stokes when applying with a brush. I also feel like this is a more oily formula, so it's probably best to set this with a powder.

Overall, not a bad foundation for less than $10 and I'll be keeping it in my regular rotation for good skin days. My favourite way to use it has actually been to mix it half and half with my UD All Nighter foundation. That one's a tad on the light side (but the next shade up is too dark when it dries down) and is extremely full coverage, so this helps thin it down a bit, evens out both colours and gives a better overall finish than I get with either of the two products on their own.

so I loved the way it looked.but I broke out all 5 times I used it with major pimples.right when I stopped using it I didn't have any pimples so I'm sad to say this broke me out and I never will use again unless they change that major huge issue.it smells like horrible paint and the smell even stay on my brush for days later so was gross but it did look decent on the skin and cheap price .makes me sad at the breakout so I won't buy again and don't recommend if your sensitive to paint smells