wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.5

I give this foundation 3 lippies. At first it gave a beautiful finish. Semi Dewy. As other reviewers stated it did have a smell of paint. I legit felt like I was at Sherwin Williams. Where this foundation failed for me is that one it oxidized at least three shades darker then what I am and it did not provide as much coverage as I had hoped for. I know a lot of reviewers said this felt like cake face. When first applied it does not look caked but as the day goes on it definitely settles in lines and creases. Ill leave this foundation for the preschooler's who want to dabble in make up. As for me I heard good things about this foundation otherwise I would have never considered putting a wet n wild foundation on my face. I will stick to my holy grail double wear. Worth trying at the price point but do not expect amazing results. You get what you pay for. For reference I am a NW22 in Mac Studio Fix and a 2C1 Fresco in double wear and I purchased the color 03 Buff Bisque and it was a good match at first not after it oxidized.

on 3/5/2017 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Now, I am most definitely not a fussy person. Only one word can is needed to begin this review, and I'm positive you know what it's going to be.

PAINT.

Ok. Maybe I'm just having a hard last couple of weeks because I am not usually bothered by smells, the only thing that really turns my stomach is the smell of death. If you're lucky enough to not have smelled it before, death is the smell of a (insert unlucky creature's species name HERE) carcass that's been baking all day on the hot asphalt of an old country road, under the searing rays of the mid-August sun somewhere in Alabame. Down south, the heat and obnoxious humidity will only cause this poor critter to decompose at an extraordinary rate. Decomposing critters combined with the thickness and stale air experienced during those long summer days means that you better roll them windows up or you'll learn about the stench of death quick, fast and in a hurry! So tell me why the smell of this foundation was utterly unbearable to me?!

And who else is over new gadgets and contraptions? Remember those days when all we wanted was a PUMP?! It's like we blazed past pumps, probably the most universally perfect method for dispensing almost all foundations, to droppers and now spatulas. Even if you only casually read reviews here on MUA or elsewhere on the Internet, you will quickly learn that the droppers were universally disliked by the populace. It seemed like not a single brand, whether drugstore or HE, was able to get it right. I'm always game for something new but I just can't get behind the included spatula either...This issue is similar my issue with the overwhelming (to ME) paint smell: I am NOT a germaphobe! When I first opened it, I looked at the odd little spatula and was truly at a loss for what to do next. I deduced through careful analysis (HAHAHA not really) and came to the conclusion that, unless you deposit what you'll need from the spatula onto a mixing palette, a CLEAN foundation brush or a CLEAN beauty sponge, you WILL introduce germs, bacteria and oils back into the bottle. Yuck. I honestly don't know why this is even an issue for me but it is. I don't doubt for a hot second that there's ladies out there that will sanitize that silly little spatula after every use! To that, I say, "Do you baby girl!!"

The 'Photo Focus' formula is too lacking for me to even consider that kind of effort. When I wore it last, I applied it, walked away and several minutes later, I returned to see that the foundation had at least set to a wonderful looking satin finish. Please note that the satin finish may have more to do with my own personal skincare than the foundation itself. Unfortunately, the next step in my makeup application process was its third strike against it. Using the Real Techniques, I dusted what I felt was a light amount of the powder also released as part of the collection...And I suddenly looked like a freaking corpse!! The foundation went completely stark flat and matte!! It was like the foundation had absorbed the powder and not in a way that could work in our favor. It was true a mask, clinging and suffocating to my skin.

Asta la vista baby! It's rare for me to not find something workable within a product but, man, this one was just not good for me. As we all know, YMMV. I did what felt right to me and promptly exchanged it for 'Wet N Wilds' resurrected and insanely hyped 'Precious Petals' highlighter at my local CVS. Winning!

on 2/27/2017 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Good foundation, it works great!!!

on 2/23/2017 8:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased this in the shade Golden Beige from my local Target and have tested it out a few times. Overall, the foundation is decent, especially for the price. It has medium coverage, and while it is buildable to full, it starts to look cakey if you layer too much. The finish isn't overly matte or dewey, but oily skin may need to set with powder. I haven't taken any flash photos while wearing this so can't comment on the claims of no flashback or white cast. The glass packaging is very elegant, but some people may have hygiene concerns about the plastic paddle-like applicator (personally I don't see it any differently than using my Shape Tape, but that's just my opinion). My only complaint is that the foundation oxidized on my skin about an hour after application. I may purchase it in a lighter shade and save this one for summer wear.

Pros:
budget friendly
nice glass packaging
medium coverage
impressive shade range (20 on WnW website)

Cons:
paddle applicator may be unhygienic
oxidizes
can look cakey if layered
oily skin will need to powder

on 2/16/2017 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I would say beware of all the glowing reviews and don't expect it to be amazing. It's a medium coverage foundation and I really wouldn't say it's matte. It is slippery feeling due to the silicone and doesn't sink into pores like the Coverall did for me (Coverall has better coverage). It can cling to dry parts of the face and doesn't really dry down completely so it needs a powder to get rid of the tacky feeling. It has that weird greasy look for a while without actually being greasy if that makes sense. This foundation also tends to break down after a few hours and definitely isn't long lasting.

The bottle is lovely but the spatula packaging is horrendous. I have found that foundations tend to oxidize and thicken in packaging that has to be exposed to open air all the time and the spatula is unhygienic and annoying. I've had this foundation for about two weeks and it has already changed color and consistency (orange tinge/darker and thicker).

I was hoping for a good daily foundation and this is just ok. I can make it work but wouldn't buy again. At least I haven't had any significant breakouts yet.

on 2/12/2017 6:18:00 PM

Love this foundation! It has worked amazingly for me. I love the liquidy texture, it feels so lightweight on the skin but still has great coverage. Love to apply it with a damp sponge. Great foundation for 5-6 dollars! I highly recommend!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I first bought this foundation from my local Walgreens just as soon as I saw it on display. Even though they offer 20 colors of foundation in the line only about 4-5 were on display, so I picked up 2 foundations in Peach Natural, 2 in Golden Beige, and 2 pressed powders in Neutral Beige. Peach Natural is about 2 shades lighter than my skin tone, so I definitely have to warm up my face with bronzer when I wear it. Golden Beige is the most closest match to my skintone, so I am pretty pleased with it. And I will definitely continue to buy this foundation in the shade Golden Beige, for sure.

The Neutral Beige PhotoFocus pressed powder has a consistency that is very soft and silky and reminds me a lot of MAC's Mineralize Skin Finish, in the way that it is shaped, however unlike MAC's Mineralized Skin Finish, this powder wears better and definitely lasts a whole lot longer on my face. when it comes to my skin, I have sensitive, dry-to-very dry, acne prone skin. I also suffer with seborrheic dermatitis on my face, which gets especially bad during the Fall and Winter Seasons, and yet this foundation looks and wears beautifully on my face no matter the season. This foundation is one of the best drugstore foundations out there, and even though it is super inexpensive, the price is of no reflection of its true quality, at all.

With the foundation, I do not use a moisturizer or primer underneath. As, I apply the foundation straight to my freshly cleansed face with the spatula applicator (which I find to be very convenient) it comes with. I often see people putting foundation on the back of their hands and then applying it to their face in YouTube videos, and is that 100% hygienic? No. Which is why, I don't see anything majorly negative about using the spatula that comes attached to it. It is not super hard, so it's not like your scratching or tearing up your face in any way, when you use it, In regards to it being considered to be unsanitary to keep using on ones face, well, after a while, no matter how much you wash a Beauty Blender (or one if its dupes), that stuff does collect alot of stuff in it, including bacteria.

Some individuals have complained that this foundation smells like paint. It was something that I had heard some individuals actually talk about in their YouTube videos, before I even bought the foundation. However, it was not a big deterrent towards my not buying the foundation at all. i checked the ingredients, and I was cool with them, so I proceeded to buy the foundation and give it a try, so see how it really performs and smells on my own. To be honest, this foundation has a slight chemical smell, very similar to Estee Lauder's Double Wear Stay In Place Makeup (however Estee Lauder's one is a bit more stronger, and does linger). The smell of the PhotoFocus Foundation is not overwhelming, and after the foundation dries down, the slight smell ends up fading away. I don't notice any smell to the foundation as I wear it throughout the day at all. The slight chemical smell is only apparent when you go to apply the foundation to your face. Which is why, I have to say, please don't be deterred from buying this foundation, due to some reviwers claims that this foundation smells really bad, straight up like paint. Truthfully, it really doesn't smell horrible at all, and it does not smell like a can of paint either. The scent is a tolerable one that does not last. The foundation is fragrance free, however, what a lot of people don't realize is that the first ingredient within this foundation is actually what is responsible for this foundation's scent. The ingredient Isododecane, is an ingredient that has a very interesting scent to it. So, when you see this ingredient listed high within a foundation, then it is actually this ingredient that you are smelling (unless a foundation actually dies have added chemical fragrance to it, okay).

I have never experienced any creasing, cracking, or caking up issues with this foundation, and this is whether I apply it with powder over top to set it or not. I also have not experienced any issues with this foundation easily transferring off of my face at all. I have never experienced it transferring from off of my face to anywhere else, period. It does provide a comfortable matte finish. Now, I am able to get medium-to-full coverage with this foundation, by using E.L.F's Ultimate Blending Brush. I know some people love to use a Beauty Blender or other similar makeup sponges to apply their foundations with, however, because these sponges soak up a lot of foundation, it does affect the amount of coverage that one gets with a foundation. Which is why, some people may not consider this foundation to be a full coverage one, only because of what they choose to use to apply the foundation with. And, I do not recommend using very moisturizing products underneath this foundation, because you have to also realize that what you apply underneath foundations do often play a big part in the longevity of the foundation on your face, and also how it holds up appearance wise on ones face throughout the day as well.

This foundation doesn't cause issues with breakouts for me, even though I have skin that is acne-prone, for which I use the highest strength of Retin A (generic version), to help aid in controlling such. However, I always make sure to take off every bit of my foundation, before I go to actually wash my face at night. As, I am very meticulous about getting all of my face makeup off before, I start my facial cleansing process. Oh and I never sleep in my makeup anymore at all either.

I have purchased lots of high end foundations as well as drugstore foundations, however, right now, the foundations that I am actually loving the most are drugstore ones, such as this one, Maybelline's 24Hr Super Stay Full Coverage Foundation, L'Oreal's Pro Semi-Matte Foundation, and L.A. Colors Truly Matte Foundation.