wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.3

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Well...I will say I like this a lot better than their previous Coverall foundation (which I hated). Photo Focus has some good and bad points. I do think this is going to be one of those products where people either go rabid bashing it OR they absolutely rave about it.

The Photo Focus reminds me a lot of Loreal's True Match with perhaps a little bit more slip to it. I prefer it to the True Match, which isn't saying much. I see a lot of people comparing this to Revlon Colorstay but honestly that may only be due to the paint scent. This is lighter coverage and a more liquid-y consistency than the Colorstay.

I would consider Photo Focus to be medium coverage. It definitely covers more than I assumed it would. I bought the palest shade - Porcelain. This shade is about NC10 applied by oxidizes to NC15ish. Honestly that's still paler than a lot of the lighter shades in drugstores so I can't complain. Keep in mind the NC stands for "not cool", meaning it's warm toned. I find this is more yellow-y than straight up warm. The deeper warm shades seem more orange based though, your mileage may vary.

I have oily skin and although this applies relatively demi-matte, I found it lacks any oil control. As the day goes on it gets greasy. :( I can see a layer of oil form within hours and it pools into my pores. On the other hand it seems to accentuate dry patches so those with very dry skin should either double up on the moisturizer first, or skip Photo Focus altogether.

I made this work for me by: 1. applying a hydrating sunscreen primer first and 2. mixing a tiny bit of my favorite suuuuuper matte foundation in (Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse). *If* you can find a way to make this work for you, it's totally worth it. I think its a good (not great..just good..which is better than most in my book) foundation.

This is an awesome foundation for 5.99. It took me a bit to find my perfect shade but I finally did. (My friends made out with the others) It lasts all day with a matte-fyling primer. Photographs great and doesn't sink into my pores. I love the bottle and the spatula. But that smell. It smells like house paint! But it doesn't last and honestly its worth it even if it smells like ass. Haha

on 3/24/2017 2:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Just got this at CVS where they seemed to have over 10 shades in stock. I got soft beige, which is a perfect match to my skin, at first. One point off because it takes a while to dry down, and it darkened as it did. So maybe get one shade lighter than you need?
Lovely medium finish, similar to my favorite Colorstay, only with more sheen. A great deal for the price and I love the bottle and applicator.

ETA: it doesn't play nicely with all concealers. Make sure to apply concealer first, or strange things may happen to the texture.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

The good-
Love the bottle.
Looks very nice on the skin and skin-like when applied correctly.
Applies really nice with fingers and beauty blender type sponges.
So many shades to choose from!
However, most are just on the website as most stores do not carry all of the shades.
I ended up with classic beige and surprisingly it was not too bad. (at first, I clearly need a lighter shade)
It blended in really well on my face,
I do need a slightly lighter shade but can get away with this. That is until it starts to oxidize.
The foundation wears okay on my oily skin without looking too bad which was surprising (besides oxidizing way too dark), about 2-3 hours before I need to blot. 4-5 hours it starts to break down just slightly. 6 hours it can start to slip around and I must touch up with powder. 7-8+ and it is done.
The bad-
Looks terrible when applied with a brush and had I not watched MANY youtube videos beforehand I would have thought this was a terrible foundation.
Definitely, stick to the beauty blender type of sponge or your fingers. I liked my fingers for a lighter coverage that was more natural and the sponge for heavier coverage.
The matching photo focus powder (which I really like) did not go well with this foundation as I found it made it look too heavy and cakey but both are great on their own.
It does oxidize darker and started to look a little too tannish orange. Wore well on my oily skin but not as great as a long lasting foundation.

I might try this again in a lighter shade but for now, I think I will keep looking as I prefer a long wear foundation that can last a work day, stand up to my oily skin, and not melt at the first sign of hot weather.

on 3/18/2017 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Skin Type: This is the foundation for combo/oily skin! If you have dry skin and dry patches, be sure to put a hydrating primer before application.
Coverage: Medium. I don't recommend layering this foundation. it would look cakey.
Finish: satin-matte. It also blurs my pores.
Fragrance: it smells like paint but doesn't linger.
Staying Power: 8-10 hrs. For my oily skin, I need to blot after 6 hrs, but the foundation stays on pretty well. It doesn't become blotchy. Still beautiful.

This foundation is a little tricky to use. I don't why that it accentuates my dry patches whenever i use my Laura Mercier setting powder. It works well with some primers but not for all. I haven't found a perfect foundation routine to use it. If i know which primer and powder work for it, i would update.
Overall, this is a decent foundation. I like the finish and staying power for my oily skin.

on 3/12/2017 1:08:00 AM

I have to say I am so in love with this foundation ! I even prefer it over my Estee DW which is one of my favorite high end foundations. I can easily build it up to full coverage with my orange real techniques sponge. I do use a primer underneath because I find if I don't it can settle into dry patches .The finish is full coverage for me because I do go in with two coats because the formula is a tad bit thin. It dries fast so quickly work it into your skin. The lasting power is all day for me . I can wear it before during and after work and it's still looks very nice.Overall it has become one of my favorites and I've been reaching for it over all of my other foundations. I actually just purchased my second bottle of this in the shade bronze beige . My only con is the packaging. The bottle is bulky and rectangular if you wanna put it that way. And I do not prefer the cheap plastic spatula applicatior probably because I have always preferred a foundation in a pump or a squeeze bottle. On the other hand the price is fabulous for around 5-6 bucks this is an absolute steal . As for the no flash back claim I find this to be true ! My skin looked flawless in all pictures that I had this foundation on in . I would say if you're on a budget and looking for a good foundation give it a try ! This is coming from someone who works around higher end makeup all day long !!

on 3/5/2017 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Now, I am most definitely not a fussy person. Only one word can is needed to begin this review, and I'm positive you know what it's going to be.

PAINT.

Ok. Maybe I'm just having a hard last couple of weeks because I am not usually bothered by smells, the only thing that really turns my stomach is the smell of death. If you're lucky enough to not have smelled it before, death is the smell of a (insert unlucky creature's species name HERE) carcass that's been baking all day on the hot asphalt of an old country road, under the searing rays of the mid-August sun somewhere in Alabame. Down south, the heat and obnoxious humidity will only cause this poor critter to decompose at an extraordinary rate. Decomposing critters combined with the thickness and stale air experienced during those long summer days means that you better roll them windows up or you'll learn about the stench of death quick, fast and in a hurry! So tell me why the smell of this foundation was utterly unbearable to me?!

And who else is over new gadgets and contraptions? Remember those days when all we wanted was a PUMP?! It's like we blazed past pumps, probably the most universally perfect method for dispensing almost all foundations, to droppers and now spatulas. Even if you only casually read reviews here on MUA or elsewhere on the Internet, you will quickly learn that the droppers were universally disliked by the populace. It seemed like not a single brand, whether drugstore or HE, was able to get it right. I'm always game for something new but I just can't get behind the included spatula either...This issue is similar my issue with the overwhelming (to ME) paint smell: I am NOT a germaphobe! When I first opened it, I looked at the odd little spatula and was truly at a loss for what to do next. I deduced through careful analysis (HAHAHA not really) and came to the conclusion that, unless you deposit what you'll need from the spatula onto a mixing palette, a CLEAN foundation brush or a CLEAN beauty sponge, you WILL introduce germs, bacteria and oils back into the bottle. Yuck. I honestly don't know why this is even an issue for me but it is. I don't doubt for a hot second that there's ladies out there that will sanitize that silly little spatula after every use! To that, I say, "Do you baby girl!!"

The 'Photo Focus' formula is too lacking for me to even consider that kind of effort. When I wore it last, I applied it, walked away and several minutes later, I returned to see that the foundation had at least set to a wonderful looking satin finish. Please note that the satin finish may have more to do with my own personal skincare than the foundation itself. Unfortunately, the next step in my makeup application process was its third strike against it. Using the Real Techniques, I dusted what I felt was a light amount of the powder also released as part of the collection...And I suddenly looked like a freaking corpse!! The foundation went completely stark flat and matte!! It was like the foundation had absorbed the powder and not in a way that could work in our favor. It was true a mask, clinging and suffocating to my skin.

Asta la vista baby! It's rare for me to not find something workable within a product but, man, this one was just not good for me. As we all know, YMMV. I did what felt right to me and promptly exchanged it for 'Wet N Wilds' resurrected and insanely hyped 'Precious Petals' highlighter at my local CVS. Winning!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After using this foundation for a few weeks I can say that I love it, but only if I use the right moisturizer under it and if my skin is not dry. This has decent coverage for me and it lasts, but I never use it with a primer. I don't love the packaging and would prefer a pump bottle, but the shade selection is good. You won't find the entire range in stores, but they are online. I prefer a foundation that sets nicely on skin and doesn't look like a mask, and that's what this does. This is lightweight but pigmented, and I never have to use a powder over it. This does have a scent that some describe as "paint", but most foundations do, and they try to cover that with added fragrance. It does not bother me.

on 2/27/2017 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Good foundation, it works great!!!

This felt very drying and is very matte. It reminds me of Revlon Colorstay. It looks like I am wearing foundation- not skin like at all. The positive is that it lasts all day.