wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.3

I have seen many mixed reviews about this foundation. It isn’t the best on my skin, I feel like it doesn’t settle as nice as I’d like it to, it settles into my smile lines and it transfers a lot, so for me it doesn’t wear gracefully.
However, I need to give it heads up for having such a wide shade range and stating the deepnes AND the undertone of each shade. I am very fair and finding foundation that is light enough and neutral/yellow is nearly impossible, especially in drugstores, so well done wet’n’wild.
P.S. I still use this to mix in with other foundations

on 6/7/2018 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I wanted to try this foundation because I'd heard about it and Wet n Wild products have improved tremendously over the years. Overall, I like this foundation but I don't love it.

I'm a NW 15-20 in MAC and I found many fair foundations for me are warm (too yellow toned and me make look ill.). I bought Shell Ivory which is labelled as "Pale Neutral Toned" (the shade before it is warm toned.) It is an excellent match. PLEASE COMPANIES PUT THE UNDERTONES ON THE LABEL! It is very helpful to know if the foundation is warm, cool or neutral toned. Kudos to Wet n Wild for realizing that undertones matter.

I usually wear a foundation with a high spf (I have enough age spots aka sun damage and don't want more) but I knew it I doesn't have any (so it doesn't get flashback.)

I tried it with both brush and sponge/beauty blender application after applying a silicon based primer and NXY color corrector. I prefer a pump but I didn't mind the spatula (better than no application). It does have a strong paint smell. For me, it blended well and the texture was lovely. The coverage was medium but buildable (I added extra to my "problem" areas. I prefer full coverage due to very uneven skin tone.) It took a bit longer to dry than I prefer. The wear was about 6 hours (I prefer longer) but it did not look patchy. I do not irritate my sensitive combination skin.

To Summarize:

Pros (for me)
- Label clearly states the undertone, making it easier to match (Shell Ivory was an excellent match for my pale, cool toned skin).
- Blends well over with brush or beauty blender
- Texture is very good
- Does not irritate my sensitive /combination skin
- Very reasonable price

Cons: (for me)
- Coverage only medium (but buildable)
- Slower to dry (with brush or sponge)
- Not the longest wearing
- Strong paint smell (stronger than Revlon Colorstay)
- No SPF

I'm neutral about the spatula applicator.

For me, it is a good, not great foundation. I will use it as alternate for my primary foundation (Revlon Colorstay) for when I'm going to not be outside and I know I'm going to have my picture taken.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I can't believe that such a fantastic foundation could come from Wet'n'Wild! In fact, this may just be my Holy Grail...until the next HG comes along, of course :)

I originally tried this out in the light warm and light-medium warm shades, and while I was happy with the foundation formula, the color just wouldn't work. I honestly didn't think of trying the neutral shades since I'm on the olive side, but after seeing how well the True Match Lumi in N1-N2 matched me, I decided to try this again in neutral. I'm so happy I did! I used a damp sponge to apply it, and the coverage and finish of this foundation is lovely, very natural looking. It looks good no matter what the lighting! It's light to medium coverage and can be built a little; it'll never be full coverage without screaming "foundation!". The wear time is fantastic (with primer). It didn't irritate or dry out my skin, or cause any breakouts.

The bottle itself is a little strange: I never encountered a foundation bottle with a paddle. I do prefer pumps since they keep air and germs out of the foundation, so the fact that this bottle doesn't have a pump limits its shelf life to 3-6 months max. But given that I bought this for less than $6, I can easily afford to replace it. As far as how sanitary the paddle is, it's no worse than the doe foot applicators that most concealers come with. If anything, it's somewhat better in that I can use the paddle to drop some foundation on the back of my hand--the paddle doesn't have to touch my skin at all.

There's 20 shades which cover a good range of skin tones. A lot of the foundation shades run very light: as I mentioned, I'm a N1-2 in True Match Lumi and I had to go with the light-medium neutral shade of Buff Bisque. So if you automatically reach for the lightest shade in a foundation, you may want to rethink it as you may find yourself needing a shade (or even two) darker than you'd usually pick. I can't speak to how well the darkest tones work as I don't have dark skin, but I feel like even the deep ones could have been even more so.

This foundation is definitely worth trying at least once. For $6, how could you go wrong?

Good medium coverage foundation. Not a fan of the smell.. smells like literal paint. Did a good job of covering up imperfections without looking cakey. Separated a bit around my nose. I would use this as an every day foundation for a natural (affordable!) makeup look, and nothing too long wearing.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I’ve now been using my beloved Dior Forever for a few years and had no intention of straying. I assumed the hype over this foundation would die down as time went on but after continuing to see raves I decided to give it a shot. Mainly out of curiosity.
I really love this stuff. I wear shade 23 in the Dior and purchased this in buff bisque.
I often mix my foundation with a moisturizer or silicone-based serum - the latter works beautifully with this (haven’t tried regular moisturizer with it yet), provides decent coverage and an incredibly smooth finish that lasts all day.
I’ve actually been reaching for it exclusively since I purchased, and my Foreverskin has taken a backseat. Never thought I’d see the day I’d be wearing a Wet n’ Wild foundation, due to past experiences with them, but this one is a true winner!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wanted to like this foundation so much. YouTube made it seem amazing. It doesn't work for me at all. I could look past the smell if it looked good. I have acne prone combination skin. This was so streaky and kept smudging and moving. Nothing has worked to make it not look like a pasty, cakey mess. Primer, moisturizer, setting powder, setting spray, tried with and without. It made my pores look huge and I don't usually have that problem, and made any blemish look even more visible.

on 4/16/2018 8:39:00 PM

Here are the reasons why I gave this foundation a one lipstick rating: 1. It had a stong scent that smells exactly like paint - which is not pleasant in any way. 2. It slid around on my face and was completely worn off after a few hours, even with a primer and setting powder. 3. Before using this foundation I didn't have any trouble with my skin, but now I've got tiny bumps all over my face. 4. Even with a thin layer of foundation, it still felt really heavy and uncomfortable on my skin. 5. This foundation made my makeup brushes incredibly stiff, and I'm not able to get them clean. 6. The plastic cap kept breaking and the little spatula was awkward to use.

The only thing I liked about this foundation was the fact that its cruelty-free!

on 4/12/2018 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have oily skin and large pores. I had hoped this foundation would be as great as everyone on youtube says it was, but it did not work for me AT ALL. The color turns orange after an hour and looks ridiculous, my pores looked HUGE even when using a primer, and it looked so uneven and muddy. I am shocked this worked out for people! On top of all of it, it caused me to breakout in a painfully large cyst on my chin! I guess I should expect something that smells like paint to clog the pores. I'm 30 and get minimal breakouts and this is the only culprit I have changed in my skin/makeup routine. I'll stick with my Estée Lauder. Going in the trash where it belongs.

on 3/27/2018 8:49:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Surprised at the terrible reviews here. I'm a 50 year old lady with super sensitive skin, mild rosacea, huge pores on my nose, pale olive w/yellow undertone. Got this as store was out of the e.l.f. beautifully bare foundation serum that I usually use. It smells exactly like the old school revlon colorstay (like latex paint lol) but the smell dissipates quickly. And it is nowhere near as drying as the colorstay that emphasizes every tiny wrinkle - ugh! I apply extra moisturizer first, followed by primer. I apply a TINY amount with a stippling brush in small sections and use a beauty blender on each section IMMEDIATELY as it dries instantly. It lasts all day at work and the nose area needs touched up only if I keep it on for the evening until bedtime. Great color match for me (neutral buff bisque) which I'm especially happy about because I have enormous difficulty finding foundations for my skin tone.
EDIT - after using this regularly for 3 or 4 weeks I developed a lovely combination of dry flaky skin AND painful cystic acne. This product will never go anywhere near my face again

I have dry skin and prefer light dewy foundations, but occasionally if I travel or my skin looks jank, I want a heavier foundation. This is pretty good. The color matched perfectly and shape tape goes on smoothly over it. Don't try more than one layer cuz it looks heavy cakey and hard to blend. It sets nicely without powder but I like the matching powder just cuz why not. Overall my skin looks about the same if I use all Tarte prods plus this is hugely cheaper. Like all heavy foundations, this causes a lot of tiny millia acne. I would use it for one-time kinda things like a weekend away or something...as a daily foundation it would b havoc on ur skin. Overall it's really nice and a better value than say Tarte, but I really dislike photo-perfect foundations bc they're too heavy and drying and really are best just on picture days. The spatula btw is just dumb. No pump? But being hella cheaper than Tarte, this is a good cheap dupe, just don't make it ur everyday makeup or ur skin will be a wreck.