wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

Filtered by age: 36-43
wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.3

This is a decent drugstore foundation in my own opinion. I have been searching for this foundation for months and alas it finally arrived in Canada and Walmart has fully restocked their shelves with this foundation.

I got mine in two shades Buff Bisque (Light/Medium Neutral) and Soft Beige (Light/Medium Warm). I am MAC NC 20 - 25 and I find that these two shades work pretty well for me. However, I am loving how the Buff Bisque matches me quite better.

I have a dry combination skin that gets worse during the winter months. If you are a dry skin gal, please prep your skin pretty well with this foundation. It is very POWDERY!

I knew from the get go that this will be drying and I made sure that I used a beauty oil and a moisturizing sun block with my skin care routine. I also used FIX+ before and after makeup application.

The coverage is light - medium buildable but has the tendency to get cakey if you don't layer carefully.

Overall, it is a great foundation for combo and not too oily skin gals once your oils mixes with the foundation.
I got this for $ 7.49 CAD at Walmart - not too bad

I hope this review helps.

P.S. Anyone complaining about the Spatula applicator, please bear in mind ladies. You don't pour out your concealer in a dish. You're actually dipping back your doe foot applicator in and out of the concealer tube all the time and you are still alive, just saying.

on 2/24/2017 7:24:00 PM

I don't really write reviews for anything very often but I really needed to say something about this. I have tried quite a few foundations and I haven't liked all of them but usually they just make me feel meh. This though, this is awful. The only really good thing I can say is that it didn't oxidize.

It was weird and patchy applying it to my face. I worked with it enough that it eventually looked mostly okay. Not my favorite, but not the worst either. However, by the time I got to work it was already starting to break up on my nose. I have combo skin but that has never happened to me before.

By lunch time it was mostly gone from my nose and near my hairline. What was left on my forehead had a weird texture to it and it had sunk into every single pore I have. I don't have large pores so this was absolutely astonishing to me because it's not a problem I have ever had.

Now, after work it is completely gone and patchy from the apples of my cheeks. I have no idea how this worked for other people so well. I would love to have those results and am incredibly disappointed that this in no way works for me.

on 2/20/2017 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought this foundation before looking at any reviews. I instantly fell in love. I see many reviewers saying how they hate the spatula. I actually love it. It makes it so much easier to control how much product I am getting out at one time. Also, I find this to be more medium coverage than light with one application. It builds up really well and covers all my imperfections. It also wears well throughout the day with no oxidation on me. I will see how it holds up in the warmer weather, but for now no issues with it wearing off, even without a primer. In terms of application, I have had no issues at all. I use a foundation brush from E.L.F and the foundation applies seamlessly. In terms of color match, the Soft Beige, which states on the bottle is light-medium-warm, is perfect for my neutral-warm complexion. It definitely has a yellow undertone, but that works very well for me. Overall, this is a definite keeper!

on 2/14/2017 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I think I've finally my holy grail foundation. My skin is normal/combo mostly, prone to dry areas on the cheeks and oilier around the sides of the nose and t zone. I have big pores and dark spots/scarring in spots. Nothing severe.
The color match is good, the coverage is good, I've applied with both damp sponge & brush and coverage is good both ways. Its not streaky, cake like and looks surprisingly natural. It doesn't settle into my pores or emphasize them. It doesn't settle into my fine lines either.
It does smell like paint tho. And its very liquidy. I actually like the spatula that comes with it. The finish is matte so if you're dry skinned this might not be for you.

UPDATE 4/17/17
I have to lower my review, unfortunately. It's now starting to look very textured and drying on my face. And i really did want to love this but its not working well for me anymore... So I shall continue my foundation hunt.

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

It's Just Wow.. this is soooo nice and wonderful foundation!!!!! Price is good and working very well.
My skin so smooth and flawless and matte all day.
I will definitely buy again :)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I first bought this foundation from my local Walgreens just as soon as I saw it on display. Even though they offer 20 colors of foundation in the line only about 4-5 were on display, so I picked up 2 foundations in Peach Natural, 2 in Golden Beige, and 2 pressed powders in Neutral Beige. Peach Natural is about 2 shades lighter than my skin tone, so I definitely have to warm up my face with bronzer when I wear it. Golden Beige is the most closest match to my skintone, so I am pretty pleased with it. And I will definitely continue to buy this foundation in the shade Golden Beige, for sure.

The Neutral Beige PhotoFocus pressed powder has a consistency that is very soft and silky and reminds me a lot of MAC's Mineralize Skin Finish, in the way that it is shaped, however unlike MAC's Mineralized Skin Finish, this powder wears better and definitely lasts a whole lot longer on my face. when it comes to my skin, I have sensitive, dry-to-very dry, acne prone skin. I also suffer with seborrheic dermatitis on my face, which gets especially bad during the Fall and Winter Seasons, and yet this foundation looks and wears beautifully on my face no matter the season. This foundation is one of the best drugstore foundations out there, and even though it is super inexpensive, the price is of no reflection of its true quality, at all.

With the foundation, I do not use a moisturizer or primer underneath. As, I apply the foundation straight to my freshly cleansed face with the spatula applicator (which I find to be very convenient) it comes with. I often see people putting foundation on the back of their hands and then applying it to their face in YouTube videos, and is that 100% hygienic? No. Which is why, I don't see anything majorly negative about using the spatula that comes attached to it. It is not super hard, so it's not like your scratching or tearing up your face in any way, when you use it, In regards to it being considered to be unsanitary to keep using on ones face, well, after a while, no matter how much you wash a Beauty Blender (or one if its dupes), that stuff does collect alot of stuff in it, including bacteria.

Some individuals have complained that this foundation smells like paint. It was something that I had heard some individuals actually talk about in their YouTube videos, before I even bought the foundation. However, it was not a big deterrent towards my not buying the foundation at all. i checked the ingredients, and I was cool with them, so I proceeded to buy the foundation and give it a try, so see how it really performs and smells on my own. To be honest, this foundation has a slight chemical smell, very similar to Estee Lauder's Double Wear Stay In Place Makeup (however Estee Lauder's one is a bit more stronger, and does linger). The smell of the PhotoFocus Foundation is not overwhelming, and after the foundation dries down, the slight smell ends up fading away. I don't notice any smell to the foundation as I wear it throughout the day at all. The slight chemical smell is only apparent when you go to apply the foundation to your face. Which is why, I have to say, please don't be deterred from buying this foundation, due to some reviwers claims that this foundation smells really bad, straight up like paint. Truthfully, it really doesn't smell horrible at all, and it does not smell like a can of paint either. The scent is a tolerable one that does not last. The foundation is fragrance free, however, what a lot of people don't realize is that the first ingredient within this foundation is actually what is responsible for this foundation's scent. The ingredient Isododecane, is an ingredient that has a very interesting scent to it. So, when you see this ingredient listed high within a foundation, then it is actually this ingredient that you are smelling (unless a foundation actually dies have added chemical fragrance to it, okay).

I have never experienced any creasing, cracking, or caking up issues with this foundation, and this is whether I apply it with powder over top to set it or not. I also have not experienced any issues with this foundation easily transferring off of my face at all. I have never experienced it transferring from off of my face to anywhere else, period. It does provide a comfortable matte finish. Now, I am able to get medium-to-full coverage with this foundation, by using E.L.F's Ultimate Blending Brush. I know some people love to use a Beauty Blender or other similar makeup sponges to apply their foundations with, however, because these sponges soak up a lot of foundation, it does affect the amount of coverage that one gets with a foundation. Which is why, some people may not consider this foundation to be a full coverage one, only because of what they choose to use to apply the foundation with. And, I do not recommend using very moisturizing products underneath this foundation, because you have to also realize that what you apply underneath foundations do often play a big part in the longevity of the foundation on your face, and also how it holds up appearance wise on ones face throughout the day as well.

This foundation doesn't cause issues with breakouts for me, even though I have skin that is acne-prone, for which I use the highest strength of Retin A (generic version), to help aid in controlling such. However, I always make sure to take off every bit of my foundation, before I go to actually wash my face at night. As, I am very meticulous about getting all of my face makeup off before, I start my facial cleansing process. Oh and I never sleep in my makeup anymore at all either.

I have purchased lots of high end foundations as well as drugstore foundations, however, right now, the foundations that I am actually loving the most are drugstore ones, such as this one, Maybelline's 24Hr Super Stay Full Coverage Foundation, L'Oreal's Pro Semi-Matte Foundation, and L.A. Colors Truly Matte Foundation.