wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.2

on 4/20/2017 6:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I'll be a broken record i guess because my experience is much like other negative reviewer's. When I first applied this, I loved it. It went on nicely and blended well. After about an hour or so, it starts to look absolutely awful. It oxidizes on me terribly and it starts to break down. All my pores were on display and I looked like I had slept with my makeup on. Not a good look. I will definitely stick with my HE foundations because I just can't find a good DS alternative. This is already in the trash.

on 3/29/2017 1:26:00 AM

To be fair, I don't normally use liquid foundations, having discovered that mineral powder foundations work much better for me. However, I thought I'd try this one in porcelain, since it has excellent reviews and a very affordable price point. It wasn't so bad, but I was reminded again why I don't like liquid foundations. The cakiness, the uneven distribution, the way it almost pooled strangly in the pores around my upper cheeks, leaving hardly anything on the surface was strange. I even tried to use it with a good pore filling primer, to no avail. I did apply it with an actual beauty blender, rather than a brush. Perhaps another means of application would work better? I have no notion. What I do know is that I am happily going back to my mineral powder foundation...and no more experiments.

on 3/24/2017 5:13:00 PM

This foundation worked better for me than my MUFE HD foundation. I use a mattifying primer underneath and apply it with a beauty blender. Then I apply concealer, set that with a finishing powder then I finish it all off with MAC mineralize to get a flawless result. I do notice that I get a little oily as the day progresses but that usually happens to me with all foundations. It has a spatula applicator that I'm not a fan of but the worst part is the smell. It reeks of paint. Overall, the quality of the product itself is worth the small cons.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

The good-
Love the bottle.
Looks very nice on the skin and skin-like when applied correctly.
Applies really nice with fingers and beauty blender type sponges.
So many shades to choose from!
However, most are just on the website as most stores do not carry all of the shades.
I ended up with classic beige and surprisingly it was not too bad. (at first, I clearly need a lighter shade)
It blended in really well on my face,
I do need a slightly lighter shade but can get away with this. That is until it starts to oxidize.
The foundation wears okay on my oily skin without looking too bad which was surprising (besides oxidizing way too dark), about 2-3 hours before I need to blot. 4-5 hours it starts to break down just slightly. 6 hours it can start to slip around and I must touch up with powder. 7-8+ and it is done.
The bad-
Looks terrible when applied with a brush and had I not watched MANY youtube videos beforehand I would have thought this was a terrible foundation.
Definitely, stick to the beauty blender type of sponge or your fingers. I liked my fingers for a lighter coverage that was more natural and the sponge for heavier coverage.
The matching photo focus powder (which I really like) did not go well with this foundation as I found it made it look too heavy and cakey but both are great on their own.
It does oxidize darker and started to look a little too tannish orange. Wore well on my oily skin but not as great as a long lasting foundation.

I might try this again in a lighter shade but for now, I think I will keep looking as I prefer a long wear foundation that can last a work day, stand up to my oily skin, and not melt at the first sign of hot weather.

on 3/23/2017 12:22:00 AM

I super love this foundation!

It covers really well and looks oh so natural.

The smell reminds me of Estée Lauder double wear.

I love how my skin looks so flawless. I've been reaching for this stuff over my Mac Pro,long wear, smashbox studio skin and loreal infallible. It is currently my fave!

I love how it photographs too. No filter needed! I use this with a buffing brush. Will try to use it with beauty blender.

I give this foundation 3 lippies. At first it gave a beautiful finish. Semi Dewy. As other reviewers stated it did have a smell of paint. I legit felt like I was at Sherwin Williams. Where this foundation failed for me is that one it oxidized at least three shades darker then what I am and it did not provide as much coverage as I had hoped for. I know a lot of reviewers said this felt like cake face. When first applied it does not look caked but as the day goes on it definitely settles in lines and creases. Ill leave this foundation for the preschooler's who want to dabble in make up. As for me I heard good things about this foundation otherwise I would have never considered putting a wet n wild foundation on my face. I will stick to my holy grail double wear. Worth trying at the price point but do not expect amazing results. You get what you pay for. For reference I am a NW22 in Mac Studio Fix and a 2C1 Fresco in double wear and I purchased the color 03 Buff Bisque and it was a good match at first not after it oxidized.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I didn't care for this but I really wanted to like it and Wet n Wild has been coming out with amazing products lately...so I had an open mind. The first strike was the lighter colors, even the lightest was too dark and yellow for me. They were advertising a huge shade range so that as well as stores not carrying all the colors was disappointing. The bottle and spatula are fine, no issue with that. The smell is very chemical/paint like which would be easier to overlook if I liked the foundation. The coverage was heavyish...powdery and settled into lines which I don't have many of so yeah...not good. I have very well behaved skin that is combo...very very slightly dry in some areas and very very slightly oily in others. This is kind of why I hate most full coverage foundation, generally it makes you look worse, older and trying too hard because of heaviness and bringing out fine lines and being grotesque and mask like...that was exactly what this did unfortunately. Almost every YouTube review I've seen of this was the same, even if they liked the foundation after a little while of wear it looked really cakey settled into fine lines. Lots of Wet and Wild products perform like a million bucks, but for me that this was definitely not one of them. If you're looking for a full coverage Foundation that doesn't give a grotesque whatever happened to Baby Jane like mask effect... I recommend Kat Von D Lock-It, and it has better shade range especially for pale people.

on 3/5/2017 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Now, I am most definitely not a fussy person. Only one word can is needed to begin this review, and I'm positive you know what it's going to be.

PAINT.

Ok. Maybe I'm just having a hard last couple of weeks because I am not usually bothered by smells, the only thing that really turns my stomach is the smell of death. If you're lucky enough to not have smelled it before, death is the smell of a (insert unlucky creature's species name HERE) carcass that's been baking all day on the hot asphalt of an old country road, under the searing rays of the mid-August sun somewhere in Alabame. Down south, the heat and obnoxious humidity will only cause this poor critter to decompose at an extraordinary rate. Decomposing critters combined with the thickness and stale air experienced during those long summer days means that you better roll them windows up or you'll learn about the stench of death quick, fast and in a hurry! So tell me why the smell of this foundation was utterly unbearable to me?!

And who else is over new gadgets and contraptions? Remember those days when all we wanted was a PUMP?! It's like we blazed past pumps, probably the most universally perfect method for dispensing almost all foundations, to droppers and now spatulas. Even if you only casually read reviews here on MUA or elsewhere on the Internet, you will quickly learn that the droppers were universally disliked by the populace. It seemed like not a single brand, whether drugstore or HE, was able to get it right. I'm always game for something new but I just can't get behind the included spatula either...This issue is similar my issue with the overwhelming (to ME) paint smell: I am NOT a germaphobe! When I first opened it, I looked at the odd little spatula and was truly at a loss for what to do next. I deduced through careful analysis (HAHAHA not really) and came to the conclusion that, unless you deposit what you'll need from the spatula onto a mixing palette, a CLEAN foundation brush or a CLEAN beauty sponge, you WILL introduce germs, bacteria and oils back into the bottle. Yuck. I honestly don't know why this is even an issue for me but it is. I don't doubt for a hot second that there's ladies out there that will sanitize that silly little spatula after every use! To that, I say, "Do you baby girl!!"

The 'Photo Focus' formula is too lacking for me to even consider that kind of effort. When I wore it last, I applied it, walked away and several minutes later, I returned to see that the foundation had at least set to a wonderful looking satin finish. Please note that the satin finish may have more to do with my own personal skincare than the foundation itself. Unfortunately, the next step in my makeup application process was its third strike against it. Using the Real Techniques, I dusted what I felt was a light amount of the powder also released as part of the collection...And I suddenly looked like a freaking corpse!! The foundation went completely stark flat and matte!! It was like the foundation had absorbed the powder and not in a way that could work in our favor. It was true a mask, clinging and suffocating to my skin.

Asta la vista baby! It's rare for me to not find something workable within a product but, man, this one was just not good for me. As we all know, YMMV. I did what felt right to me and promptly exchanged it for 'Wet N Wilds' resurrected and insanely hyped 'Precious Petals' highlighter at my local CVS. Winning!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After using this foundation for a few weeks I can say that I love it, but only if I use the right moisturizer under it and if my skin is not dry. This has decent coverage for me and it lasts, but I never use it with a primer. I don't love the packaging and would prefer a pump bottle, but the shade selection is good. You won't find the entire range in stores, but they are online. I prefer a foundation that sets nicely on skin and doesn't look like a mask, and that's what this does. This is lightweight but pigmented, and I never have to use a powder over it. This does have a scent that some describe as "paint", but most foundations do, and they try to cover that with added fragrance. It does not bother me.

I'm pleasantly surprised with this foundation. Very little goes a long way. Easily full coverage. I prefer application with a damp sponge. It sets fairly fast so trying to blend it after just removes it. I haven't needed a powder since I like the natural satin finish. I have pretty balanced skin and I haven't had an issue with break down or excessive oil. It's usually on sale so I would say it's worth a try for the cheap price. The liquid texture reminds me of the loreal magic nude foundation that I loved but with more pigment. If it's too much coverage mix it with a moisturizer.