Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.3

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an awesome new(ish) brand, I'm loving all their products so much that I bought the whole line. It's a small line so far, but I think it will grow even more, as the products really are amazing. There is a lot of consideration from Drunk Elephant on every single ingredient they put into their products, more so than most companies. This serum has absolutely excellent ingredients and feels lightweight and slightly moisturizing. It's hydrating, but those with dry skin will still need a moisturizer afterwards. I have normal to dry skin & I always use a moisturizer after this. I can see the difference in my skin after using this for 2 weeks. My face looks brighter, more radiant and even toned. The red marks I had from a PMS breakout have faded quickly. It's pricey, but money well spent, as this actually works, which is more than I can say for most products, sadly!

on 2/25/2016 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This was my first Drunk Elephant purchase. I purchased the serum because the message behind the company appealed to me. It is a new company that incorporates both natural and synthetic ingredients that are cutting-edge and effective. The company believes that today's regulations allow companies in both the natural and synthetic categories to use harmful, toxic ingredients. I started going a more natural route in my skincare routine to avoid some irritating synthetic ingredients. However, in my quest, I found there to be just as much skin irritants in some natural products as the synthetic products. This company stands out to me because of how nit picky they are over each ingredient they use in their products. So the message is great, but does the product work?

Packaging: This is the BEST packaging I've seen for a vitamin C serum. It doesn't look as fancy as others but it is very smart. They use an airless pump bottle. This helps to keep the Vitamin C serum stable. A lot of other Vitamin C serums use a bottle and dropper package that exposes the Vitamin C to air every time you open it. Vitamin C is highly unstable. I've read some complaints about the packaging; however, this is about the old packaging of the product. The new packaging solves the complaints about the liquid spilling out too fast, etc. Make sure you get the new packaging if you buy from a third party vendor. It should look like what you currently see on their website. The bottle pumps out the perfect amount of product. The bottle is an opaque plastic, keeping light from making the Vitamin C unstable. I prefer the plastic to glass because it is easier for traveling. The downside is you can't tell how much product you have left. But I will take that downside knowing I don't have to worry about my Vitamin C expiring before I use it all.

Product: I wanted a product that was good for aging and fading pigmentation, which is what Vitamin C is good for. Drunk Elephant's serums have been highly praised so I was excited to try out one of their serums. I didn't notice any results the first few days. However, it didn't cause any bad side effects so I persisted. My skin doesn't have active acne on it (thanks to past Accutane and my current Differin use), but it still is extremely acne-prone to a lot of products. This product did not break me out. It took about 4 weeks before I noticed results from it. My overall skin tone has definitely improved! :)

Note: The first week I had to use it every other morning. My face though was very sensitive from my retinoid gel. I had just built up using my retinoid gel every night without irritation. If using a Retinoid/Retinol, AHA/BHA, and Vitamin C serum for the first time, make sure you don't start using them all for the first time at once. Build up a tolerance slowly to your Retinoid or AHA/BHA before incorporating a Vitamin C serum. Use the Vitamin C serum in the morning if you are using a Retinoid/Retinol product at night. Even if you're not using a Retinoid/Retinol or AHA/BHA, allow your skin to build a tolerance to a Vitamin C serum. If your skin gets dry, give it whatever time it needs to recover. Some people are able to start using a Vitamin C serum everyday right away, others are not. Listen to your skin. It should always look good or better, not worse.

Overall I LOVE the product! A month later, my skin is brighter and healthier looking! My fiancee even made a comment about my skin looking great lately! It is also helping to fade stubborn pigmentation from past acne spots! I wait a few minutes before I apply my moisturizer/sunscreen. The initial tackiness goes away by then and absorbs into my skin. It wears well under makeup. It is expensive but it is HALF the price of the patented beloved Skinceuticals C EF serum! Out of curiosity, I compared it to a cheaper dupe of Skinceuticals and Drunk Elephant was so much better. I am curious though on how it performs compare to the actual Skinceuticals version, but I refuse to spend that amount. Drunk Elephant serum's pH is 3.3-3.5, which is in the effective 2.0-3.5 range for Vitamin C. Plus Drunk Elephant added a whole bunch of other antioxidants that are amazing for the skin!

on 1/29/2016 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This brand is worth every penny since you are really getting the product the company says it's giving you. And without fillers and preservatives. I've been using C serums for years and years, combing the labels looking for the real deal. This is at 15% and it means business.
I love this line. I have 2 other products to review. And soon the SPF :)
Don't you go anywhere Drunk Elephant!!

I'm surprised I'm the first to review this, so I'll include some more information.

I haven't been able to find a vitamin c product that I've liked which is frustrating because I want the benefits. They either are ineffective or irritate my skin. I found this while looking for options at Sephora and it had great reviews. Paula B also gave this a very high rating.

The line is based off marula oil, which is new to me. Oils can be iffy on my skin and so far I've had no problems.

I have been using it for about two weeks and here's my initial thoughts (I'll update it after I've used the whole jar)
- Consistency: watery with a slight viscous gel feeling. It would definitely spill all over or slip through you fingers if you aren't careful.
- Smell: earthy, non-chemical or processed. I don't love it but I don't hate it. It dissipates quickly. My skin is sensitive to fragrance, so I appreciate this.
- Packaging: It's cute and it is in a PUMP thank you! The packaging is not substantial though. It feels light and easily breakable. It is also opaque which is nice given the vitamin c, but you can't tell how much is in there and as I mentioned, it feels very light.
- Application: I squirt two squirts in my hand and then use the other hand to apply because it's watery. The two squirts cover my face and neck. I noticed that in some areas it stung a bit right off the bat which means it's got some potent stuff in there. That also dissipated quickly. It's easy to rub in, has an orange tint to the gel and sinks in. I wait 5-10 minutes then follow up with my moisturizer. When I remember, I use another squirt for my chest.
-Price: I want to say this was around $80 which is not cheap, but is supposed to be Skinceuticals' rival which is twice the cost. If it really works as effectively, bonus!

Overall I've been pleased. I haven't seen anything dramatic yet, but I use alot of products so if you're starting from scratch this may make a more immediate impact. My skin does glow and I've had no adverse reactions.

Ingredients (from their website):
1 FL. OZ
-Potent Antioxidant Complex (15% L-Ascorbic Acid, Ferulic Acid, Vitamin E (1%): Promotes collagen synthesis and protects against damaging UV rays to better prevent visible signs of aging.

-Pumpkin Ferment Extract and Pomegranate Enzyme: Both Improve cellular renewal and work to enzymatically digest surface dead skin cells and decongest pores.

-Vinis Vinifera (Grape Juice): Potent antioxidant and UV absorber that helps treat fine lines and discoloration.

-Licorice Root Extract: Brightens, lightens and de-puffs the skin.

-Indian Gooseberry: An antioxidant-rich super fruit that helps to prevent oxidative stress and degradation of skin proteins, while promoting firmness.

-Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer: Able to penetrate the skin to hydrate and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while promoting collagen formation.

-Chronocyclin: An anti-aging chronopeptide that biotransforms into Vitamin D and mimics sun exposure activation of the circadian genes. It optimizes skin physiological activities of defense and cells regeneration. Helps prevent signs of aging and sun damage.

-Virgin Marula Oil: Hydrating oil that protects, heals and rejuvenates the skin. High in Antioxidants and Omegas 6 & 9.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Ethoxydiglycol, Ascorbic Acid, Glycerin, Laureth-23, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil, Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Algae Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Ferment Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Phyllanthus Emblica (Indian Gooseberry) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Tocopherol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Acetyl Glucosamine, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tetrahydro Curcuminoids, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Glycine, Sucrose, Maltodextrin, Propanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan gum, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60

Cruelty-Free. Gluten-Free. Recycle for Earth's Sake. Supporter of IEF (International Elephant Foundation).

Video Reviews & Tutorials