Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

3.3

on 8/25/2016 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have been on the fence about this product for months.

I think I really wanted it to work after paying so much for it! I also wanted my Drunk Elephant shopping spree to have a happy ending. I purchased the soaps, TLC, SPF & this. The other products were obvious misses for my skin type after the first uses. But the C-Firma ... I was undecided. I sometimes thought it gave my skin a positive effect, other times I wondered if it was causing irritation instead. I gave up trying to wear it in the AM early on - it never seemed to fully absorb into my skin and being in the porcelain skintone range - it left my complexion looking a strange shade of skin-orange. So, I switched to wearing it in the evening. Again ... I felt unmoved. I didn't think my skin looked overly better - or felt better.

I noticed numerous comparisons to SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic. I tried this product several years ago and hadn't liked it. However, our skin changes over time and I was also using foaming cleansers back then (the best thing I did for my face was switching to non-foaming cleansers).

Curious, I tentatively ordered a small travel sample on eBay, hoping it would be authentic and relatively fresh.

Tonight, I tried it. WOW. I love it. My skin just drank it right up. Zero irritation. Zero orange residue. The typical vitamin C smell dissipated in minutes. An hour later and I'm glowing. My face feels supple and hydrated - and I haven't even put on moisturiser yet. I'm very surprised - my skin is incredibly sensitive - I usually find it quite difficult to incorporate actives into my routine. My face feels amazing and looks amazing. This made me realise C-Firma is a definite no for me.

on 7/19/2016 9:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

My skin was really good before using this product, but I didn't notice a major difference after using it except that the smile lines around my mouth were more pronounced and this is NOT what I want. I also didn't notice a difference with firming or an improvement in my skin; however, this did make my face feel greasy and it DID smell like bacon grease like everyone said. I gave it a 3 because I don't think this is a bad product; it just didn't work for me.

Edit on 5/2/17: This stuff is the BEST. I guess I didn't see an improvement before, because my skin was pretty good at the time. However, my skin was looking haggard and dry and I gave this another go, and WOW. It transformed my skin and I am a believer. My skin looks plump, hydrated, and younger. I loooove this stuff.

on 7/5/2016 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This stuff is fantabulous! I def think its hit HG status already - and its only been a couple weeks of use, every other day. My skin is much smoother, my dry patches are virtually non existent, and my pores are cleaned out and refined (less visible). My makeup goes on smoothly and although I am using a couple different nighttime products which I know are working in conjunction with this, I def credit DE's C serum as a major workhorse within that mix.

To address the smell people are discussing... I don't know where all these meat byproducts are entering in here (hot dogs, bacon, etc) but that's cracking me up - its also not true LOL. This straight up smells like all vitamin C products do, which is slightly metallic. I used to make my own C serums and the C powder also had this distinctive smell. While its far from aromatherapy, its not too terrible and it dissipates pretty quick.

For ages I swore by Timeless ($24) and still do, which is a lot cheaper than DE's C and Ferulic mixture ($80), but I was caught in this cycle wherein no matter how well I stored Timeless, the product went bad before I ever even got a quarter into the bottle. So when I read DE's version was much more stable and didn't expire for (I think it is) a year, I was sold. Given all above, I figured the prices btw the two products eventually evened out. So I went for it and am so glad I did!

Update Aug 2017: Although I still love this product, I have come to find this is quite difficult to wear under makeup, so I can only use it on down days where I do not go out. Likewise, its sooooo sticky and shiny that I have to use it more like a mask; I can handle it on for a few hrs but then I need to wash it off bc it gets pretty annoying... Has this effected the way I feel about this product? Well, yes and no - I still love it and its HG, plus the fact that Vita C can't technically be washed off (I am only washing away the stickiness and the VC has basically soaked in) and also stays in the skin up to 3 days (ergo no need to deal with the annoyance on the daily), I am not too distraught. Still, I wish this could be worn under makeup for additional protection, but it doesn't play nice, so I have removed 1 star from my original 6 star rating.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This is my first Vitamin C Product and I love it. I also appreciate that this product is chock full of antioxidants fermented pumpkin extract and pomegranate for a few. Really great skin ingredients. Also, love the pump style and air-tight, opaque packaging that this is housed in, which keeps the highly potent, yet sensitive, ingredient that is Vitamin C stable and effective for a long period of time.

Like many Vitamin C products, the ingredients can remain in active synergy with the skin for up to 72 hours, so for this reason and for the price, I use this product once every few days... sometimes backing off to even once a week, but I do see a smoothing and brightening effect to the skin both instantly after putting on, and at least in terms of the smoothness, at least somewhat an effect of that for days ongoing. Contrary to the name of the product, I use it mostly at night, due to its rather sticky feel on the skin.

This product does have a unique smell that smells a bit like a metallic pumpkin, which would make sense, due to the pumpkin extract in here and the metallic twinge typical of L'asorbic acid and other vitamin C-sourced skincare. Most find it off-putting, but I kinda like it, as it does have a pumpkin twang, but it isn't the best thing ever. The scent is a product of the ingredients, though, no added perfumes here.

I like this product, but want to try the Caudalie Vinosource Brightening Serum, as, due to some kits available on Sephora with a full size of that plus some other products, it works out to be a better value, and even alone, it is cheaper (only by $1, though, USD), but it is said to be smoother in texture and more lotiony so I hope to get similar results (skin brightening plus a source of Vitamin C) with less of a sticky/tacky feel, so hopefully the serum cannot only act as a serum, but also maybe a serum plus moisturizer (albeit a light one) in one.

I like this stuff a lot. It's packaged well for C serum so that it doesn't oxidize. My skin has looked great since starting it about a month ago; no breakouts from it, it's not sticky, no complaints at all.

on 6/18/2016 7:41:00 PM

I really wanted to like this serum since I heard many people saw great results in their skin after using this. My skin is very thin, super sensitive, combination easily dehydrated(flaky patches), clog prone, acne prone with some post acne hyperpigmentation and broken capillaries. I was looking for something that would help even out the skin tone, prevent UV damage and dissolve unwanted surface skin cells (flaky patches).

This serum did not smell like hotdogs or bacon like other reviews mentioned the scent is nice not too strong. This did not feel super stingy and did not cause irritation it felt nice when applied on; not too sticky or heavy but it turned orange on my face. Then it started to clog my skin and cause some tiny breakouts. I suspect that the clog pores and tiny breakouts are due to the marula seed oil and ferulic acid.... all the oils. If this was oil free I would continue to use it and repurchase, but unfortunately I have to return it this is not cheap.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Why oh why does this stuff smell like bacon? While I love the effect of its use, and the vitamin C boost it gives my skin, the smell is just awful! Since I do love the how soft and smooth my skin is after use, I will keep using it. I typically follow up its use with another moisturizer which helps to mask the smell. I also occasionally use it in my hair to give it too, the extra boost. It's really made a difference in my skin, I have received many compliments.

This product is amazing. This serum and the JuJu Bar soap has changed my 56 year old skin!
I've even received numerous compliments. I'm in love!

on 5/20/2016 11:28:00 PM

I really wanted to like this product, but ultimately I returned it. I found it broke me out. I also could not get past the funky smell. I have used other vitamin C serums in the past that smell odd when the are "past" but this one is something else. The nice cashier at Sephora suggested that the strength of the vitamin C might've been what broke me out, but I am suspect of the "pumpkin extracts" and all the other stuff in there. I have used other high concentrations of vitamin C without problems.

The packing of this product is outstanding and exactly what all other vitamin Cs should be: completely enclosed and opaque so light cannot enter.

on 4/22/2016 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am really liking this brand. I am not a fan of the packaging because I cannot see how much is left, but that's how it needs to be. I have use 3 products from the line and would re purchase all of them. The vitamin C is thicker and applies well. I can't say it works any better than the rest, and it's more expensive than some, like Timeless. If you're paying 190$ for Skinceuticals then this is a nice, more reasonable alternative.