Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.3

on 4/22/2016 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am really liking this brand. I am not a fan of the packaging because I cannot see how much is left, but that's how it needs to be. I have use 3 products from the line and would re purchase all of them. The vitamin C is thicker and applies well. I can't say it works any better than the rest, and it's more expensive than some, like Timeless. If you're paying 190$ for Skinceuticals then this is a nice, more reasonable alternative.

I'm surprised I'm the first to review this, so I'll include some more information.

I haven't been able to find a vitamin c product that I've liked which is frustrating because I want the benefits. They either are ineffective or irritate my skin. I found this while looking for options at Sephora and it had great reviews. Paula B also gave this a very high rating.

The line is based off marula oil, which is new to me. Oils can be iffy on my skin and so far I've had no problems.

I have been using it for about two weeks and here's my initial thoughts (I'll update it after I've used the whole jar)
- Consistency: watery with a slight viscous gel feeling. It would definitely spill all over or slip through you fingers if you aren't careful.
- Smell: earthy, non-chemical or processed. I don't love it but I don't hate it. It dissipates quickly. My skin is sensitive to fragrance, so I appreciate this.
- Packaging: It's cute and it is in a PUMP thank you! The packaging is not substantial though. It feels light and easily breakable. It is also opaque which is nice given the vitamin c, but you can't tell how much is in there and as I mentioned, it feels very light.
- Application: I squirt two squirts in my hand and then use the other hand to apply because it's watery. The two squirts cover my face and neck. I noticed that in some areas it stung a bit right off the bat which means it's got some potent stuff in there. That also dissipated quickly. It's easy to rub in, has an orange tint to the gel and sinks in. I wait 5-10 minutes then follow up with my moisturizer. When I remember, I use another squirt for my chest.
-Price: I want to say this was around $80 which is not cheap, but is supposed to be Skinceuticals' rival which is twice the cost. If it really works as effectively, bonus!

Overall I've been pleased. I haven't seen anything dramatic yet, but I use alot of products so if you're starting from scratch this may make a more immediate impact. My skin does glow and I've had no adverse reactions.

Ingredients (from their website):
1 FL. OZ
-Potent Antioxidant Complex (15% L-Ascorbic Acid, Ferulic Acid, Vitamin E (1%): Promotes collagen synthesis and protects against damaging UV rays to better prevent visible signs of aging.

-Pumpkin Ferment Extract and Pomegranate Enzyme: Both Improve cellular renewal and work to enzymatically digest surface dead skin cells and decongest pores.

-Vinis Vinifera (Grape Juice): Potent antioxidant and UV absorber that helps treat fine lines and discoloration.

-Licorice Root Extract: Brightens, lightens and de-puffs the skin.

-Indian Gooseberry: An antioxidant-rich super fruit that helps to prevent oxidative stress and degradation of skin proteins, while promoting firmness.

-Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer: Able to penetrate the skin to hydrate and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while promoting collagen formation.

-Chronocyclin: An anti-aging chronopeptide that biotransforms into Vitamin D and mimics sun exposure activation of the circadian genes. It optimizes skin physiological activities of defense and cells regeneration. Helps prevent signs of aging and sun damage.

-Virgin Marula Oil: Hydrating oil that protects, heals and rejuvenates the skin. High in Antioxidants and Omegas 6 & 9.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Ethoxydiglycol, Ascorbic Acid, Glycerin, Laureth-23, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil, Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Algae Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Ferment Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Phyllanthus Emblica (Indian Gooseberry) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Tocopherol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Acetyl Glucosamine, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tetrahydro Curcuminoids, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Glycine, Sucrose, Maltodextrin, Propanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan gum, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60

Cruelty-Free. Gluten-Free. Recycle for Earth's Sake. Supporter of IEF (International Elephant Foundation).

on 4/1/2019 2:48:00 AM

DE is my second Vit C serum. I switched over from Timeless CE Ferulic (which irritated my skin) as this has a higher pH so I felt my skin responded better to it. Smells to me like canned corn and the smell does linger a bit. But it absorbs well and I feel no irritation. Also my lotion and sunscreen layers well over it. I got it from Sephora and it came relatively fresh (light yellow tint). Keeping it in my fridge to play safe, I like it but don’t love it so prob won’t be repurchasing after finishing this bottle as I feel there are other products at similar price points which I want to try.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I received this in a holiday package set and love all of the drunk elephant products since they are made of simple ingredients. I did not see any positive or negative results from this, which is great since it is keeping my skin consistent. I would not repurchase just because the benefits did not match the expensive price.

on 1/12/2019 8:55:00 AM

Love clean beauty and c serums, so trying c-firma was irresistible. The serum-like consistency absorbed quickly with no telltale signs of perfume and minimal stickiness. A little concerned about c freshness due to the orange tint, but continued daily use. A few days days in, my skin took on an orange glow reinforcing my original concern. NO, the product had oxidized! Sticking to smallbatch c serums.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have been using a sample of DE C-firma Day Serum for about 4 days to see if my skins likes it before I splurge on the $126.00 bottle in New Zealand. I am of indian decent and have combination skin. I'm in my early 30's and have been guilty of not giving my skin enough care. I recently discovered that I have developed small dark sun spots around the cheeks and eye area and wanted a product to reduce it. I went into Mecca Cosmetica and was recommended this serum to help lighten/remove sun spots. I took a sample home and started using it.

My first application after using product was good, I applied the product by itself at night and the next day my skin looked brighter. The second day I applied it during the day, and noticed my skin had a light tan to it, I'm unsure if this is due to the pale/mid yellow colouring the serum has. The third day I decided to use it with rose hip night cream to provide more moisture to my skin as the serum is a bit sticky on it's on, I applied this during the night.The next morning I noticed I started breaking out in small red bumps, just 2 or 3 around the forehead, t-zone and cheek.

Fourth day I used the serum at night just by itself and my red bumps got a little bit bigger, so I've stopped using it. This product could have reacted with the rose hip night cream, maybe, but the little breakouts was enough for me to make up my mind. I dont think I will invest in buying this product, I will research for an alternative.

Best advice is to get samples for these expensive serums and creams, everyones skin type of different so they react differently.

I've purchased maybe four bottles of this stuff. Initially I was persuaded by the great review on Beautypedia (Paula Begoun's website) and what I heard in the blogsphere about it being a cheaper replacement for Skinceuticals vitamin C +E + Ferulic serum. Now, after maybe 18 months of continuous use, I'm not convinced. I don't think it did any damage, but I don't think it's really helped my skin that much. Plus, I'm skeptical of DE's claims that the yellowing of the serum is due to the tumeric included in the formula and not the vitamin C oxidizing. Not that I ever got that far past three months of use with each bottle---I think each bottle lasted me somewhere between 3-6 months. And because the bottle is opaque (good for limited exposure to antioxidants) I couldn't tell when the product was nearing empty. One morning I go to put it on and BAM! it's gone. Not a huge deal (I'd rather have the antioxidants stable) but it's a bit annoying. Also adding to my skepticism about the oxidation claims is the fact that my face felt a bit tighter and brighter at the beginning of each bottle, and less so towards the end. I would immediately repurchase (no lapse beyond 48 hours) between bottles, but yet the new bottle would feel noticeably more active on my skin. Made me think the product was degrading quite quickly.

Bottom line: Good, but not great.

on 4/22/2018 4:46:00 AM

It is a well formulated vitamin C serum with good ingredients and nice packaging, BUT (as with every single product in the Drunk Elephant range) you can find WAY cheaper products that are just as effective as this for like half the price. So while not saying it's a bad product, having purchased the entire Drunk Elephant range I haven't seen the slightest improvement in my skin vs. my previous skincare routine (which was mainly based on Paula's Choice and Trilogy sensitive range) so I won't repurchase any of their products.

on 2/20/2018 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is so overpriced. The biggest problems with vitamin C serum are smell and feel on the skin—and this is no better than other high-concentration serums I've tried, despite costing a lot more. There is no getting around vitamin C feeling tacky and gross on the skin, apparently. If this felt better on the skin that similar cheaper serums it might be worth the $$. But it isn't so it's not. I'd rather just get something from The Ordinary...even if it doesn't feel the greatest, at least I didn't spend like $100 on it!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm on the fence with this vitamin C serum.

This product is so hyped up (and still unavailable in UK) that it was on the TOP of my shopping list when I went to US last November. Even the girl at the Sephora in Seattle checkout commented how excellent it is (I knew it, I watched/read enough reviews) and my husband winced at the price ($80!).

I have started using it straight away, every second day (the vitamin C in it is supposed to work inside the skin for 72 hours) two pumps - one for the face, one for the neck and décolletée whatever remained - rubbed into the tops of my hands. I'm no fit C serums newbe, I have been using it for years. Two weeks in, I can see this product is effective - my skin is brighter, dare I say even firmer? I decided to keep it in the fridge (like all the vit C serums although DE says it is not necessary, well...) and I'll use my bottle up asap as we all know, these people want to earn money, they cannot quite be trusted especially with the stability vs colour issue - it is supposed to be stable, but IS IT?!

My one does not smell repulsive at all (my rule of thumb is if it smells bad it is not good for me) - kind of fruity, sweet (not the 'Luisiana sweet rot') and delicate. It is however the light orange colour that baffles me. I understand it has ferulic acid and pumpkin enzyme in it and product with ferulic often have a light yellow colour and funky smell. I have not felt any tingling, just a delicate warming sensation for the first one or two times I used it. It glides on the skin easily and I just put on a little bit of hyaluronic acid serum on top and I'm good to go (or apply some sunscreen) as the serum stops being sticky.

The colour of the freshly opened bottle (there is no expiry date/shelf life on the product's packaging) was translucent orange so normally I would treat any other vit C as oxidised and chuck it in the bin. However Drunk Elephant states that if it is DARK orange or brown then it has oxidised. Personally I think it is unfair towards the consumer so when I finish this bottle (apparently I have 3-4 months to do so after the opening) I will buy a different serum or even the powder form of ascorbic acid from The Ordinary and mix my own serum which I know will be fresh and not oxidised. With this one - I simply don't know if it is effective (for $80 I kind of wish IT IS), so I will not repurchase.

Btw, this blog has a great explanation of the serum's colour: https://nothingserious.blog/2017/06/15/drunk-elephant-c-firma-review/
I have chucked the excessive cardboard packaging (seriously WAY TOO MUCH packaging! Although the main twist up pump idea is rather cute) into recycling so I have emailed the brand with the encrypted code that I've managed to find on the bottom of the bottle. Let's see what their reply is going to be and I'll update my review.

UPDATE: The DE company replied really swiftly to my email and here is what they said: 'Thank you for contacting us! L-ascorbic acid naturally darkens over time. If you notice this happening, even if it is that dark from the start, it does not necessarily mean that the serum is oxidized - it's just the normal reaction!

The batch code indicates that your serum has a shelf life through June 2018. C-Firma has a 1 year shelf life, however, we recommend finishing a bottle within 4-5 months from the day you opened it. This doesn't necessarily mean that your product is bad or ineffective. It's just our tip on how to get the most out of your product. '

So... I still don't know. The DE comes to Space NK in UK in the Autumn 2018 so I will have a look at the colour of it in the bottle in the shop.

Popular Face Skincare Products