Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.3

on 8/20/2017 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is quite pricey. But I feel like it has been doing a great job in giving me a glow in the mornings and improving my skin texture and lightening my sun damage. The packaging is great, ensures the vitamin C doesn't oxidise quickly.

on 5/20/2017 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

So far I've tried three DE products and this is the only one I will for sure be repurchasing. My skin is dry and sensitive so I worried that I wouldn't be able to tolerate this, but it has been completely fine. My skin drinks it in and it's easy to wear under moisturizers, foundations, SPF, whatever - it doesn't seem to conflict with anything. The packaging keeps the ingredients stable and although the price is a little high, a little goes a long way so I think it's a good value. The smell is unusual (in skincare at least. i think it smells like a jar of vitamins...definitely not a fragrance type of odor) but not terribly strong. I know the benefits of a vitamin C serum are more long term, but I swear I think my skin is slightly brighter and more even in tone and texture. The only other vitamin C serum I have tried was by Ole Henrikson and while that didn't irritate my skin I didn't notice any change, but with this I do see more of a benefit.
UPDATE: bumping it up to 5 lippies. My skin just loves this. My complexion is smooth and this seems to really prep my skin to get the most out of moisturizers. I've completely gotten accustomed to the smell so I don't even notice it anymore.

on 4/12/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first skincare item I've ever spent over $50 on and I have no regrets.

People's main gripe about this product seems to be the price and that you can find similar vitamin C serums for a lower cost. To some people, the $80.00 price tag on this is outrageous; while others would spend double that or more on skincare items without batting an eye. I'm one of those people who is in the middle. Will I ever buy a skincare item that costs over $100? I doubt it. But I was able to pull the trigger on this one and see myself repurchasing. Why?

I use two pumps of this product on my face every 2-3 mornings, after cleansing and before going in with any other skincare. The results I see justify the price tag for me. My complexion is noticeably brighter. I've heard that this is one of the best vitamin C serums on the market for increasing collagen production. I appreciate the fact that a good vitamin C serum increases the efficacy of any SPF applied over the top. It feels like my skin drinks this stuff right up. I'm almost done with my first bottle and it's lasted me almost 6 months, which is much longer than I expected. There's no ingredients on this product's ingredients list that make me uncomfortable or that I feel iffy about putting on my face.

Another big gripe in the reviews is the scent... I think I'm a freak of nature because I actually like the smell of this serum. Sort of fishy, sort of metallic, sort of citrus-y. Skincare isn't supposed to smell good though it's like taking a shot of wheatgrass or taking fish oil supplements. You do it for the health of your body not because you want it to taste good.

I bought a sample of this and was sold after 3 uses. I suggest trying out a few different samples of vitamin C serums before sealing the deal and buying a full-sized bottle.

on 3/22/2017 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

A little bit about myself:
-oily/combination skin but wait there is more - also sensitive
-mid 20's
-olive skin
-I live in the tropics so my makeup/skincare not only has to adapt to the insane heat + humidity but also to the office AC as well

To be honest this is only the 2nd vitamin C serum I`ve used thus far, the other one being Glossier`s one which is just not very good - peep my review for that one in its section. This was my first Vitamin C serum and I kind of wish I stuck with it rather than looking for another one - my sister noticed this *glow* in my face after she visited (thats a real thing apparently) I had only been using this for about 2-3 months.

Pros:
-You get a glow
-It improved the dark spots I had from neglecting suncreen these past few years
-Takes a sec to sink in but does not leave you feeling oily
-Mosturizer goes on easyyyy afterwards
-Drunk Elephant is made from ingredients that are safe on the skin - I noticed no irritation whatsoever which made this product perfect for my first vitamin c serum
-Safe to use with other products too - I used it with the Shiseido Serum sometimes and Luna retinol (the blue one)

Cons:
-The smell is F O U L but you`ll get over it, its worth it, after a while you don`t notice it

Protip: Don`t forget the sunscreen! If you do decide to use this in the morning + retinol at night invest in a good mosturizing cream since the combination might make your skin a bit dry.

on 3/21/2017 10:30:00 PM

I just love this serum. Three drops all over the face + B Hydra in the AM. You are all set!

on 3/18/2017 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I was very curious to try DE after the positive reviews and the C Firma Day Serum seemed like a good choice as I was also looking for another vit C and ferulic acid combo (I was a fan of Skinceuticals). It's a thin and runny serum that sinks/dries quickly on the skin - definitely not rich enough to use on its own. I had great success using this in combination with Sunday Riley's Juno face oil, my face practically glowed and I could skip foundation if I wanted to. The packaging is simple and travel friendly but some of the product does seem to seep out of the pump so it was a bit annoying to have to wipe off the oxidized serum. I would definitely repurchase this over Skinceuticals and despite the hefty price tag, to me it's money well spent. However, I'm trying Deciem The Ordinary next as they've got a variety of vit c serums that you can mix and match with others and a fraction of the price of most beauty lines. Will see how that goes!

This doesn't cause breakouts or irritations for me. I use it every day in the morning under sunscreen. I use a .05% tretinoin cream at night. My dermatologist recommended this combination years ago, a tretinoin at night and vitamin c serum in the morning under sunscreen. I tried less expensive brands first, but my pores clogged. This is the least irritating product I have found.

on 2/9/2017 11:07:00 AM

This product is why I looked at the Drunk Elephant line in the first place.

Price: I have been reading a lot lately about the benefits of using Vitamin C on the skin, so I turned to Beautypedia to get some recommendations. I was a little surprised to see that all 5-star rated products in the Vitamin C category are all relatively expensive, so it took me a while to come to terms with that. I first got this as a sample in the All Glowy Kit from Sephora, then bought the standard size bottle.

Packaging: The bottle is opaque plastic with an airless pump inside that dispenses every drop. (For reference, I took the bottle apart when I finished their Framboos, which has the same delivery system, and the interior bottle was bone dry).

Product: While the pump is airless, I would not say it's 100% dripless. This serum has a runny texture, and residue will collect on the applicator over time. I have read reviews of this that stated issues with the serum leaving an orange case on skin; I have not had this experience on either my hands or face. I like this product and think I made an excellent choice for my first attempt at using a Vitamin C product, especially given that the packaging keeps this serum stable (I've read that Vitamin C in clear glass droppers will sometimes go rancid due to light exposure or will need to be kept refrigerated, which would guarantee that I would never use it). I don't find it to have an irritating smell. I put it on after showering in the morning and follow up with my HG moisturizer (CeraVe cream). I like that it is easy to dispense and apply.

Overall, I've had HG-level results from this DR product and their Framboos, to the point where I am now slightly afraid to go off-brand in an attempt to save money, especially considering that most of the other Vitamin C products I looked at cost as much as this or more. I think if I can commit to using Vitamin C in my routine as I have with other products, this will be my staple.

on 1/25/2017 10:18:00 AM

I use this after I wash my face in the morning with the DE soap - it works great- I would say I use it 5 out of 7 mornings of the week just to give my skin a rest on the other days... I use all of the DE products and I follow this product with the DE sunscreen which I have also reviewed.

on 10/6/2016 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first high end skincare product I've ever tried. I looked through the ingredients list of this serum and couldn't find a single thing I didn't like. That's amazing for me, as I've grown extremely picky about the ingredients in my skincare products. Now, this product is $80.00 for 1fl oz. Pretty steep but after trying a sample I loved it and with much trepidation I purchased it. The longer I use this serum, the more my uncertainties over whether this is worth the price or not continue to diminish. It's like a glass of orange juice for your face! (an expensive glass of orange juice.)

The ingredients in this serum stay active after application for 72 hours. Even if you wash your face every day you'll continue getting the skincare benefits for at least 3 days, thanks to the presence of Sodium Hyaluranate Crosspolymer (which evidently makes this stuff so easily absorbed into the skin that it remains active underneath the skin long after the face is cleansed.) So to make it last, I only apply this once every three days. Two pumps in the palm of my hand, then I use my fingers to spread this all over my face and pat/rub it in.

The serum itself is the consistency of water. On the Sephora website it says the consistency has been thickened slightly to "improve the overall user experience". Maybe I got one that wasn't reformulated yet but either way, the thinness of the liquid isn't bothersome. The color is bright orange and some people have reported that it leaves their skin orange, but I'm very fair-complected and once it sinks in it doesn't leave any discoloration.

The scent is hard to put a finger on... it's mildly unpleasant. I tried a sample of the Ole Henricksen Truth Serum once and it smelled like rotting fish. This kind of smells similar, but the fishy smell is way less toned down to the point of being virtually unnoticeable. I feel like what I can smell most is the Vitamin C... if you've ever taken Vitamin C tablets (especially sugar-free ones) you know they have a distinct smell/taste. It's not the best, but skincare isn't always necessarily going to smell the best, so that's okay with me.

The claims of this product are as follows:
- protects against free-radicals.
- replenishes lipids to reduce wrinkles, firm, and brighten skin.
- pumpkin ferment and pomegranate enzymes gently dissolve unwanted skin cells.
- anti-aging.
- supports natural collagen production and cell regeneration.
- pH level of 3.3 to 3.5.

In my experience, using it in the morning 2-3 times per week, this serum has singlehandedly made my skin more luminous and radiant. I haven't noticed any reduction in wrinkles but that's not really what I'm after when it comes to this particular product. I'm more interested in the long-term benefits and protection. Not to mention the immediate benefits: my skin looks and feels better overall. If I go without this product for a week or so, I can tell that my face doesn't look as good as it does when I'm using it regularly. I always follow up with my Josie Maran Argan mosturizer with SPF 47 and the combo has been doing me well. NO BREAKOUTS!! No adverse reactions. I've also heard that using a vitamin c serum increases the efficacy of your SPF, which is pretty awesome.

The last thing I want to talk about is the packaging. I haven't had any problems with the pump. I've noticed that if I try to dispense it with the bottle standing up, some of the serum gets on the side of the pump. But that's just because it's running down the side due to being so thin, not because the pump or packaging is broken (although it looks like it's leaking, it's not.) To avoid this I hold the bottle in the air but on it's side and pump the product so that it dispenses downward into my palm. I like that the packaging is completely airtight, which protects and preserves the product as long as possible. I kind of don't like that the packaging isn't clear because you can't tell how much is left in it, but I know what the benefits of an opaque packaging far outweigh the minor nuisance of not being able to put a finger on exactly how much product is left. Aesthetically, the packaging is pleasing. That doesn't matter if the quality of the product inside is terrible, but when the quality of the product is great pretty packaging is an added bonus.

I will continue to repurchase. My skincare routine in the morning consists of cleansing, toning, this Vitamin C serum, and a high SPF/moisturizing combo. Since I'm using so few products, I'm okay with splurging on ones that I can tell really make a difference in the quality of my complexion.

Popular Face Skincare Products