Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Unfortunately this did not work for my skin type. I'm in my late 20's and starting to see signs of sun spots so I've been using skinceuticals aox 20 vitamin c serum for a few years now. I've never had an issue with it but I got my hands on a few sample packets of this from DE. As soon as I poured a little on my finger tips, I immediately felt the difference in consistency between the two. DE's serum is very thick and feels oily (reminded me of castor oil). Skinceuticals has a watery consistency.
So after two days of using it at night, my pores started to appear larger, my skin felt oily, and a few pimples appeared. I kept using it for another week or so and my skin kept getting worse so I stopped using it.
I can see this working for someone who is not acne prone, dry skin/small pores. I will be sticking to what works for me!

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

The emperor has no clothes! This smells like a bucket of fish heads ALL day, my grandmother even noticed the smell a few feet away after hours of wear. It also leaves an orange residue on the skin and it broke me out every time I used it, which isn't a mystery since marula oil has a comedogenic rating of 3-4! It failed on every level for me. This brand have a great social media ad campaign, that's about it.

on 4/3/2017 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is my first Vit C serum, so I have nothing to compare it to. After doing some internet research, I came to the conclusion that Vitamin C was too unstable to realistically make a DIY serum, and choosing the right formula was essential. Drunk Elephant seemed to consistently be among the best rated and had all the right ingredients, although very pricey.

I've only been using for a couple of weeks every other day (will update my review as I go) so I haven't noticed any positive effects yet. But it hasn't broken me out or irritated my skin, so it's a good start.

I love the pump system, fancy AF. You only need a tiny amount of product, one pump covers my whole face. It feels like a light oil when you pump it out, but it dries like a thin shiny plastic layer which is a bit weird. I really don't like how it feels on my skin to be honest, it doesn't feel like it's penetrating. I tried 2 pumps once but the product was too thick on my skin and it felt so weird and looked way too shiny. Alone it makes skin feel tacky even with only one pump, so after it dries I put a thin moisturizer or SS over to soften it up. It smells like sawdust, like a carpenters workshop or a camp fire, which is an unusual but not necessarily unpleasant smell.

EDIT: The serum turned dark orange within a few weeks. It expired and I think I have over half the bottle left. There is no expiry or best before date anywhere on the box or the bottle, so how are you supposed to know the shelf life?!! Waste of 100$ in my opinion. It didn't do anything, it never felt like it was penetrating, it just sat there and made me super orange and shiny. My facecloth would be super orange after washing my face the next morning (I could also use at night due to shininess). Would not buy again, would not recommend.

on 4/1/2017 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

It smells of rotting oranges and it leaves the skin with a sticky kind of feeling. Really disliked it!

on 12/22/2016 4:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Sad to say-I found that this product reeks. To me, it smells like the water from cooking a hot dog. It is off putting.

Nor did I like the look and feel of the product. It too was off putting--orange-ish brown tone. Felt very sticky, icky on my face.

I tried the product 4 times, but each time I had to wash it off after about 5 minutes.

I would love to have loved the product -cute packaging, company focus on non-toxic healthy ingredients. Those two things they have right but...the product itself not so good.

The product itself actually turns my stomach a bit and since I had to wash it off quickly--I can't say whether it is effective or not.

Drunk Elephant-I hope you read this and go back to the drawing board with this product.

on 11/3/2016 4:23:00 PM

This is quite a simple no frills product with vitamin C, sinks in well but this isn't anything special. I usually buy the same concentration vitamin c serum from amazon that has other antixodiants that work in conjunction with the vitamin c for around $20. I felt there was more of a difference but was curious to see what a high end vitamin c was like. There was nothing adverse but I just didn't feel it made as big a difference as when theres other goodies such as Vitamin c, ferulic, resveratrol, green tea, etc. This is a well packaged but I would not purchase again since there is no value for money.

on 8/25/2016 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have been on the fence about this product for months.

I think I really wanted it to work after paying so much for it! I also wanted my Drunk Elephant shopping spree to have a happy ending. I purchased the soaps, TLC, SPF & this. The other products were obvious misses for my skin type after the first uses. But the C-Firma ... I was undecided. I sometimes thought it gave my skin a positive effect, other times I wondered if it was causing irritation instead. I gave up trying to wear it in the AM early on - it never seemed to fully absorb into my skin and being in the porcelain skintone range - it left my complexion looking a strange shade of skin-orange. So, I switched to wearing it in the evening. Again ... I felt unmoved. I didn't think my skin looked overly better - or felt better.

I noticed numerous comparisons to SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic. I tried this product several years ago and hadn't liked it. However, our skin changes over time and I was also using foaming cleansers back then (the best thing I did for my face was switching to non-foaming cleansers).

Curious, I tentatively ordered a small travel sample on eBay, hoping it would be authentic and relatively fresh.

Tonight, I tried it. WOW. I love it. My skin just drank it right up. Zero irritation. Zero orange residue. The typical vitamin C smell dissipated in minutes. An hour later and I'm glowing. My face feels supple and hydrated - and I haven't even put on moisturiser yet. I'm very surprised - my skin is incredibly sensitive - I usually find it quite difficult to incorporate actives into my routine. My face feels amazing and looks amazing. This made me realise C-Firma is a definite no for me.

on 3/11/2019 9:04:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Eyes: Violet

So, if you know anything about Vitamin C, you know it’s HIGHLY unstable (particularly in the L-AA form). It oxidizes quickly and loses efficacy. Additionally, some studies show that oxidized product can be bad for your skin. Adding ferulic acid helps stabilize Vit C products, but it’s still not something you should stockpile.

Drunk Elephant’s C-Firma has a reputation for oxidizing quickly, but mine (the Little size) arrived oxidized. It was a very orange color, and I immediately knew what that meant. I mentioned it to DE founder/CEO, Tiffany Masterson, on Instagram (kudos to her for being accessible and responsive that way), and her reply was that it’s ok for it to be oxidized because, “we did the testing.”

OK, first of all, do a quick search online and you can see DE’s pat response to anyone who emails about this problem is that they did the testing. (They do provide their stats, as well.) In-house testing is great - if backed by independent studies that confirm it. Second of all, for the money DE charges for its stuff, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a product to be fresh upon purchase.

Sephora (love them) sent me a replacement, but that also arrived oxidized. I give up. I’m sticking with my original brand.

I really love DE’s Lala Retro, but this experience is making me very wary of the brand, as a whole.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This gave me a bad breakout including a painful acne bump on the side of my nose which has taken almost 1 week to settle down (using The Ordinary Niacinamide & Zinc 2 x per day and PC's BHA 9). The only thing I can put it down to is the form of Vitamin C in here: Ascorbic Acid which is harsher than many other types of Vit C. The first few times I applied this were without any issues but by the 4th day all hell broke loose. Very surprised as my skin loves Vit C (in most forms) normally and there are so many good thing in here that should in theory counteract the harshness of the Ascorbic Acid, such as Licorice and Green Tea. Not for me.
However the few days I did use it, for what it's worth my skin did look very bright and radiant. The effects were definitely visible, just such a shame I couldn't continue using it. My advice would be to try out a sample first if unsure.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I bought into the DE hype and decided to try this serum along with a couple of other DE products. I say save your money and skip this one. I've used several Vitamin C serums and this is my least favorite. I haven't had any negative reactions to it, but due to the fact that this is oil based it makes my skin very shiny and a bit sticky. I also don't love the packaging. When I spend this much I want packaging that looks and feels elegant and this looks and feels like it's for children. The pump doesn't even work that well and causes a bit of a mess. There are water based serums at the same concentrations available for much less that work better for me. As far as the scent, this smells the same as every other vitamin C serum I've tried. All Vitamin C seems to smell a bit funky, but it goes away once dried.

Popular Face Skincare Products