Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.3

on 6/25/2018 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am trying the whole Dunk Elephant line. I have been using it for about a month. My skin has improved remarkably. The C-Firma has helped even my skin-tone and glow.

on 6/27/2018 2:15:00 PM

I've used this product for over a year. I feel like it does a good job in keeping my skin hydrated but I didnt notice any difference in my skin looking more brighter and renewed. I felt like I was adding serum to my skin routine without the benefits vitamin c would because I didnt see a difference in my skin. I also felt like it oxidized quickly. The color is a dead giveaway. From what I've learned from research, vitamin c is supposed to colorless. I'm not a chemist or anything, but if the product is orange and turns into a darker brown overtime, then I believe it oxidized so for $100 CAD what was I putting on my face? I've used it for over a year as I believed its marketing claims, but learned so much more as I researched and have come to realize that I may have wasted money on a hydrating serum. Now I'm using a topical vitamin c powder and I definitely see a difference in brightening and my face looks renewed - overall, my face looks healthy. I do not recommend this product.

on 6/27/2018 4:55:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

The premise of this product is good but there are cheaper products on the market. Also, I don't like that it's orange. It's harder to tell if it has oxidized if it's already orange. The packaging is good and should protect the product nicely. The shelf life is only 6 months though. Vitamin c (ascorbic acid) can have an adverse effect on the skin if used once oxidized. Which you can't tell because it's made orange??? So I won't use it.

At this point I will only use any vitamin c (ascorbic acid) for 3 months before replacing it. That's expensive so I've been trying other forms of vitamin c which are more stable. The ordinary ethylated vit c is very nice. Peter Thomas Roth power c is nice too. It has THD ascorbate in it. There's not alot of research on these other forms so I judge them my how my skin looks and feels. And I don't have to throw them away after 3 months.

If you really want to try this, just buy the mini. Great for travel too.

I've purchased maybe four bottles of this stuff. Initially I was persuaded by the great review on Beautypedia (Paula Begoun's website) and what I heard in the blogsphere about it being a cheaper replacement for Skinceuticals vitamin C +E + Ferulic serum. Now, after maybe 18 months of continuous use, I'm not convinced. I don't think it did any damage, but I don't think it's really helped my skin that much. Plus, I'm skeptical of DE's claims that the yellowing of the serum is due to the tumeric included in the formula and not the vitamin C oxidizing. Not that I ever got that far past three months of use with each bottle---I think each bottle lasted me somewhere between 3-6 months. And because the bottle is opaque (good for limited exposure to antioxidants) I couldn't tell when the product was nearing empty. One morning I go to put it on and BAM! it's gone. Not a huge deal (I'd rather have the antioxidants stable) but it's a bit annoying. Also adding to my skepticism about the oxidation claims is the fact that my face felt a bit tighter and brighter at the beginning of each bottle, and less so towards the end. I would immediately repurchase (no lapse beyond 48 hours) between bottles, but yet the new bottle would feel noticeably more active on my skin. Made me think the product was degrading quite quickly.

Bottom line: Good, but not great.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this to try it and when I was done, I immediately went back to the Paula's Choice brand. I actually see a difference when using the Paula's Choice brand (sort of like a brightening effect) and I think that the DE version made my skin look dull.

on 11/8/2018 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. It did absolutely nothing for my skin, and oxidized to a dark amber color within 2 weeks (!) This serum also smells horrible and left a lingering unpleasant odor on my skin during the day. Would not recommend.

Pros:
none

Cons:
No visible change in my skin
Crazy fast oxidation
Smells terrible IMO (and leaves a lingering scent)
Price

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I bought into the DE hype and decided to try this serum along with a couple of other DE products. I say save your money and skip this one. I've used several Vitamin C serums and this is my least favorite. I haven't had any negative reactions to it, but due to the fact that this is oil based it makes my skin very shiny and a bit sticky. I also don't love the packaging. When I spend this much I want packaging that looks and feels elegant and this looks and feels like it's for children. The pump doesn't even work that well and causes a bit of a mess. There are water based serums at the same concentrations available for much less that work better for me. As far as the scent, this smells the same as every other vitamin C serum I've tried. All Vitamin C seems to smell a bit funky, but it goes away once dried.

on 12/12/2018 10:00:00 PM

If I had to pick one DE product that I can't live without, this would be it. At $80, you get 30 ml or 1 fluid ounce. The one thing I don't like about it is the price point, but this product is very good and is the most effective vitamin C serum I've ever used. I've tried a few before this, but this fades my hyper-pigmentation and acne scarring in 1-2 weeks. It comes in a pump bottle and is designed in a way where you can get every last drop out, so nothing goes to waste. Some criticisms about this product that I've seen is how it might cause discoloration, but I don't find that to be an issue. I use very little at a time and only apply at night onto certain problem areas of my face. The issue that I find with vitamin C is that it's very difficult to stabilize. The CosRx Triple C Lightning Liquid and the Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin C serum have drop bottles, but the product changes color rapidly as the vitamin C serum is exposed to air. A lot of people mention maybe putting it in the fridge, but I don't like spending money only to have the effectiveness of the product be diminished as soon as I open it. The greatest thing about the C-Firma Day serum is that the air-tight packaging allows for the vitamin C to REMAIN stable and effective. It earns a permanent spot on my counter because I see major results when I use it. No more dark marks!

on 12/28/2018 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

For $100 (CAD) product this vitamin c serum has been extremely disappointing. I have used the Ole Henriksen Truth serum and Philosophy Turbo Booster C powder and I noticed results with both. I noticed the best results with the Philosophy one. The Philosophy booster C powder gave me radiant skin! I didn't notice any results with the Drunk Elephant serum after using a whole bottle. My skin became dull and it looked like I wasn't using any vitamin c serum while I was using this. I didn't like how the serum is orange coloured since that makes it difficult to tell if the serum has oxidized. I also noticed the serum turned a darker shade of orange after 3 months of use, which is very disappointing considering the air tight opaque bottle and I store it in the medicine cabinet. I noticed a huge improvement in 2 days after I went back to my Philosophy booster C powder and that only cost me $50 compared to $100 and it has a longer shelf life since it's in a powder form. I feel like Drunk elephant is a over hyped brand and I have better results with The Ordinary and drugstore products. Overall, this product didn't hurt my skin but it did absolutely nothing. I have used vitamin c serums daily for close to 2 years now. This product couldn't even maintain the results of previous vitamin c serums/powder, which shows how ineffective the formulation is for me.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This gave me a bad breakout including a painful acne bump on the side of my nose which has taken almost 1 week to settle down (using The Ordinary Niacinamide & Zinc 2 x per day and PC's BHA 9). The only thing I can put it down to is the form of Vitamin C in here: Ascorbic Acid which is harsher than many other types of Vit C. The first few times I applied this were without any issues but by the 4th day all hell broke loose. Very surprised as my skin loves Vit C (in most forms) normally and there are so many good thing in here that should in theory counteract the harshness of the Ascorbic Acid, such as Licorice and Green Tea. Not for me.
However the few days I did use it, for what it's worth my skin did look very bright and radiant. The effects were definitely visible, just such a shame I couldn't continue using it. My advice would be to try out a sample first if unsure.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream