Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.3

on 4/12/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first skincare item I've ever spent over $50 on and I have no regrets.

People's main gripe about this product seems to be the price and that you can find similar vitamin C serums for a lower cost. To some people, the $80.00 price tag on this is outrageous; while others would spend double that or more on skincare items without batting an eye. I'm one of those people who is in the middle. Will I ever buy a skincare item that costs over $100? I doubt it. But I was able to pull the trigger on this one and see myself repurchasing. Why?

I use two pumps of this product on my face every 2-3 mornings, after cleansing and before going in with any other skincare. The results I see justify the price tag for me. My complexion is noticeably brighter. I've heard that this is one of the best vitamin C serums on the market for increasing collagen production. I appreciate the fact that a good vitamin C serum increases the efficacy of any SPF applied over the top. It feels like my skin drinks this stuff right up. I'm almost done with my first bottle and it's lasted me almost 6 months, which is much longer than I expected. There's no ingredients on this product's ingredients list that make me uncomfortable or that I feel iffy about putting on my face.

Another big gripe in the reviews is the scent... I think I'm a freak of nature because I actually like the smell of this serum. Sort of fishy, sort of metallic, sort of citrus-y. Skincare isn't supposed to smell good though it's like taking a shot of wheatgrass or taking fish oil supplements. You do it for the health of your body not because you want it to taste good.

I bought a sample of this and was sold after 3 uses. I suggest trying out a few different samples of vitamin C serums before sealing the deal and buying a full-sized bottle.

I did major research on finding a Vit C serum, as I know its benefits and that stability/packaging is a major issue. This seemed to be the winner, and the price didn't seem too bad given that "other" serums may be de-activated by light (per research). Have used Ole Hendriksens "truth serum" many moons ago with no real effect, and think it might have been less potent, if at all

Although I was excited to introduce Vitamin C into my regimen and this was pretty irritating, surpassingly, even though I did incorporate slowly, used sunscreen (not just makeup with sunscreen), etc. It does smell foul, almost smoky, but that dissipates. I did return, but am still on the hunt.

on 4/20/2017 6:01:00 PM

Vitamin C serum is an essential product in my skin care regimen - you know, if you're packing minimal and whittling down your products to ESSENTIALS ONLY, Vitamin C is getting on that plane with me every time. I have tried a few: Ultraceuticals (too gel-like), The Ordinary (ok - dries sticky though), Obagi (amazing - not stocked by my beauty therapist anymore) and I have come to the conclusion that I prefer oil-like consistency Vitamin C - despite having oily/combo skin. I can't say that this has made a major difference to my skin - because I have been using good quality vitamin C for years now, so it's really about a consistent result for me, which this product provides.

The smell is fine, it goes after one or two seconds. Consistency is oil like and a single pump is enough to generously cover the whole face. Word of advice - don't forget your neck and chest, you'll need a second pump for that area. I find that post oil like Vitamin C, my sunscreen goes on like a dream - for me Vitamin C is a morning product. I appreciate the packaging, which should go a long way to reducing oxidisation - however, mine has still oxidised to a degree over the 3 months that I've been using it. Vitamin C shouldn't last too much longer than that anyway.

Good Vitamin C (in my opinion) is a great investment - along with a great Vitamin A/Retinol it is the only thing that will reduce the signs of ageing. Peptides, ceramides, HA are all great, but can't really reverse anything. To that end, the Drunk Elephant is a brilliant product, I would buy it again, it's available locally (in Aus) via Mecca and Mecca Maxima so it's easy to get hold of and the price point is about right for a strong, effective Vitamin C.

on 5/20/2017 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

So far I've tried three DE products and this is the only one I will for sure be repurchasing. My skin is dry and sensitive so I worried that I wouldn't be able to tolerate this, but it has been completely fine. My skin drinks it in and it's easy to wear under moisturizers, foundations, SPF, whatever - it doesn't seem to conflict with anything. The packaging keeps the ingredients stable and although the price is a little high, a little goes a long way so I think it's a good value. The smell is unusual (in skincare at least. i think it smells like a jar of vitamins...definitely not a fragrance type of odor) but not terribly strong. I know the benefits of a vitamin C serum are more long term, but I swear I think my skin is slightly brighter and more even in tone and texture. The only other vitamin C serum I have tried was by Ole Henrikson and while that didn't irritate my skin I didn't notice any change, but with this I do see more of a benefit.
UPDATE: bumping it up to 5 lippies. My skin just loves this. My complexion is smooth and this seems to really prep my skin to get the most out of moisturizers. I've completely gotten accustomed to the smell so I don't even notice it anymore.

on 5/20/2017 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Vitamin C is not supposed to produce quick results. The added fruit enzymes exfoliated my skin, and made it look like my skin texture was improving the first few days. But it was too harsh and I broke out in small pimples all over my chin. Also, this product is oily, which made my skin worse. Not worth it. Hated their Vitamin B gel as well.

I will be searching for a simple, no-frills Vitamin C, if I decide to use Vitamin C at all. I loved the pump packaging of this product though.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

The emperor has no clothes! This smells like a bucket of fish heads ALL day, my grandmother even noticed the smell a few feet away after hours of wear. It also leaves an orange residue on the skin and it broke me out every time I used it, which isn't a mystery since marula oil has a comedogenic rating of 3-4! It failed on every level for me. This brand have a great social media ad campaign, that's about it.

on 7/26/2017 5:53:00 PM

I use this a few times a week. I think it might do a little something for brightening, but not sure. It does smell terrible (like hot dogs), and my face feels sticky for a few hours after I've put it on.

The packaging is genius. I love how the top twists and turns into a pump.

While I checked that I would repurchase it, it's more of a "maybe" I'll repurchase it. I think I may like to try some other vitamin C products first. It is pretty expensive.

on 8/20/2017 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is quite pricey. But I feel like it has been doing a great job in giving me a glow in the mornings and improving my skin texture and lightening my sun damage. The packaging is great, ensures the vitamin C doesn't oxidise quickly.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This stuff is great, and if I were in a slightly higher income bracket it would be my go-to vitamin C treatment. I got one of the mini sampler duo things from Sephora that has this and the blue-cap moisturizer gel whatever, and while I didn't like that one I loved the C-Firma serum and used every last drop. I have sensitive, acne prone skin with mild rosacea, so it is always a fun time trying new skincare products. I had never used a vitamin C serum or really anything with vitamin C before, so I didn't really know what to expect. Given that my face is covered in the most crybaby skin you can imagine, I expected some burning or stinging at first given different things I had read, but it wasn't nearly that bad, maybe just a little tingly the first couple of times but nothing drastic or unnerving. The small vial in the duo lasted me about a month, and in that time I saw some pretty dramatic changes in the overall tone of my skin as well as acne spots that became significantly less noticeable. I used it during the day, of course, and I didn't notice any effect on the wear or longevity of my makeup or anything though I did usually let it sink in for at least a few minutes before I applied the next steps in my skincare routine. I am kicking myself for even trying this before less expensive alternatives because I have yet to try anything that's as good or as quick at showing results, but I might splurge during the VIB sale since I'd guess that a full size bottle would probably last me a good long time. Darn you, Drunk Elephant, for making such a fabulous product that is a stretch for my middle class self. Update Jan. 2018: I got the full size and I am still loving it. I only use one pump per day, so I think the bottle will last long enough that the cost is offset somewhat. I think the packaging of the full size is really nice (and fun!) and it seems like a worthy investment.

on 9/3/2017 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

This is my favourite product from Drunk Elephant. The results you see are so quick. After a month of using this daily, I've noticed my skin is brighter, the redness in my acne inflamed skin has calmed down, and it's so smooth. This product with the TLC Franbroise Glycolic Acid are the best out of the line. I did find this product is hard to spread around so I mix a drop of the Drunk Elephant Marula oil with it to spread it evenly. It's expensive but I find it works. Definitely buying again.

Popular Face Skincare Products