Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.3

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This is my first Vitamin C Product and I love it. I also appreciate that this product is chock full of antioxidants fermented pumpkin extract and pomegranate for a few. Really great skin ingredients. Also, love the pump style and air-tight, opaque packaging that this is housed in, which keeps the highly potent, yet sensitive, ingredient that is Vitamin C stable and effective for a long period of time.

Like many Vitamin C products, the ingredients can remain in active synergy with the skin for up to 72 hours, so for this reason and for the price, I use this product once every few days... sometimes backing off to even once a week, but I do see a smoothing and brightening effect to the skin both instantly after putting on, and at least in terms of the smoothness, at least somewhat an effect of that for days ongoing. Contrary to the name of the product, I use it mostly at night, due to its rather sticky feel on the skin.

This product does have a unique smell that smells a bit like a metallic pumpkin, which would make sense, due to the pumpkin extract in here and the metallic twinge typical of L'asorbic acid and other vitamin C-sourced skincare. Most find it off-putting, but I kinda like it, as it does have a pumpkin twang, but it isn't the best thing ever. The scent is a product of the ingredients, though, no added perfumes here.

I like this product, but want to try the Caudalie Vinosource Brightening Serum, as, due to some kits available on Sephora with a full size of that plus some other products, it works out to be a better value, and even alone, it is cheaper (only by $1, though, USD), but it is said to be smoother in texture and more lotiony so I hope to get similar results (skin brightening plus a source of Vitamin C) with less of a sticky/tacky feel, so hopefully the serum cannot only act as a serum, but also maybe a serum plus moisturizer (albeit a light one) in one.

on 7/5/2016 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This stuff is fantabulous! I def think its hit HG status already - and its only been a couple weeks of use, every other day. My skin is much smoother, my dry patches are virtually non existent, and my pores are cleaned out and refined (less visible). My makeup goes on smoothly and although I am using a couple different nighttime products which I know are working in conjunction with this, I def credit DE's C serum as a major workhorse within that mix.

To address the smell people are discussing... I don't know where all these meat byproducts are entering in here (hot dogs, bacon, etc) but that's cracking me up - its also not true LOL. This straight up smells like all vitamin C products do, which is slightly metallic. I used to make my own C serums and the C powder also had this distinctive smell. While its far from aromatherapy, its not too terrible and it dissipates pretty quick.

For ages I swore by Timeless ($24) and still do, which is a lot cheaper than DE's C and Ferulic mixture ($80), but I was caught in this cycle wherein no matter how well I stored Timeless, the product went bad before I ever even got a quarter into the bottle. So when I read DE's version was much more stable and didn't expire for (I think it is) a year, I was sold. Given all above, I figured the prices btw the two products eventually evened out. So I went for it and am so glad I did!

Update Aug 2017: Although I still love this product, I have come to find this is quite difficult to wear under makeup, so I can only use it on down days where I do not go out. Likewise, its sooooo sticky and shiny that I have to use it more like a mask; I can handle it on for a few hrs but then I need to wash it off bc it gets pretty annoying... Has this effected the way I feel about this product? Well, yes and no - I still love it and its HG, plus the fact that Vita C can't technically be washed off (I am only washing away the stickiness and the VC has basically soaked in) and also stays in the skin up to 3 days (ergo no need to deal with the annoyance on the daily), I am not too distraught. Still, I wish this could be worn under makeup for additional protection, but it doesn't play nice, so I have removed 1 star from my original 6 star rating.

on 7/19/2016 9:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

My skin was really good before using this product, but I didn't notice a major difference after using it except that the smile lines around my mouth were more pronounced and this is NOT what I want. I also didn't notice a difference with firming or an improvement in my skin; however, this did make my face feel greasy and it DID smell like bacon grease like everyone said. I gave it a 3 because I don't think this is a bad product; it just didn't work for me.

Edit on 5/2/17: This stuff is the BEST. I guess I didn't see an improvement before, because my skin was pretty good at the time. However, my skin was looking haggard and dry and I gave this another go, and WOW. It transformed my skin and I am a believer. My skin looks plump, hydrated, and younger. I loooove this stuff.

on 8/25/2016 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have been on the fence about this product for months.

I think I really wanted it to work after paying so much for it! I also wanted my Drunk Elephant shopping spree to have a happy ending. I purchased the soaps, TLC, SPF & this. The other products were obvious misses for my skin type after the first uses. But the C-Firma ... I was undecided. I sometimes thought it gave my skin a positive effect, other times I wondered if it was causing irritation instead. I gave up trying to wear it in the AM early on - it never seemed to fully absorb into my skin and being in the porcelain skintone range - it left my complexion looking a strange shade of skin-orange. So, I switched to wearing it in the evening. Again ... I felt unmoved. I didn't think my skin looked overly better - or felt better.

I noticed numerous comparisons to SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic. I tried this product several years ago and hadn't liked it. However, our skin changes over time and I was also using foaming cleansers back then (the best thing I did for my face was switching to non-foaming cleansers).

Curious, I tentatively ordered a small travel sample on eBay, hoping it would be authentic and relatively fresh.

Tonight, I tried it. WOW. I love it. My skin just drank it right up. Zero irritation. Zero orange residue. The typical vitamin C smell dissipated in minutes. An hour later and I'm glowing. My face feels supple and hydrated - and I haven't even put on moisturiser yet. I'm very surprised - my skin is incredibly sensitive - I usually find it quite difficult to incorporate actives into my routine. My face feels amazing and looks amazing. This made me realise C-Firma is a definite no for me.

Vit C serums are essential, but the ones I've tried caused irritation and inflammation and never seemed to fully absorb. This serum is on another level. It sinks in beautifully, causes no adverse reacts, and WORKS. For context, I use this in the morning with the DE B-Hydra layered over, and at night I use the DE TLC glycolic with Accure Organics marula oil.

After a few weeks of this routine, my dry, rosacea-prone skin has NEVER looked better. My hyperpigmentation is lightened, my overall skin tone is more even, and I definitely have a glow. The redness, the bumps, the blotchiness is just...gone.

It is a bit pricey, but within the realm of comparable products so not outlandish. Plus I appreciate that the line puts some proceeds toward elephant charity. :)

I've had a little trouble with the pump and the product leaking through a seam at the top, but the TLC serum is in the exact same bottle and I've had no trouble with that one. I think the bottle I received may have been slightly damaged in shipping. It seems to be a good bottle design overall and the packaging is really fun.

So happy to find a Vit C that works for me after all these years, and I can't imagine going without it.

on 10/6/2016 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first high end skincare product I've ever tried. I looked through the ingredients list of this serum and couldn't find a single thing I didn't like. That's amazing for me, as I've grown extremely picky about the ingredients in my skincare products. Now, this product is $80.00 for 1fl oz. Pretty steep but after trying a sample I loved it and with much trepidation I purchased it. The longer I use this serum, the more my uncertainties over whether this is worth the price or not continue to diminish. It's like a glass of orange juice for your face! (an expensive glass of orange juice.)

The ingredients in this serum stay active after application for 72 hours. Even if you wash your face every day you'll continue getting the skincare benefits for at least 3 days, thanks to the presence of Sodium Hyaluranate Crosspolymer (which evidently makes this stuff so easily absorbed into the skin that it remains active underneath the skin long after the face is cleansed.) So to make it last, I only apply this once every three days. Two pumps in the palm of my hand, then I use my fingers to spread this all over my face and pat/rub it in.

The serum itself is the consistency of water. On the Sephora website it says the consistency has been thickened slightly to "improve the overall user experience". Maybe I got one that wasn't reformulated yet but either way, the thinness of the liquid isn't bothersome. The color is bright orange and some people have reported that it leaves their skin orange, but I'm very fair-complected and once it sinks in it doesn't leave any discoloration.

The scent is hard to put a finger on... it's mildly unpleasant. I tried a sample of the Ole Henricksen Truth Serum once and it smelled like rotting fish. This kind of smells similar, but the fishy smell is way less toned down to the point of being virtually unnoticeable. I feel like what I can smell most is the Vitamin C... if you've ever taken Vitamin C tablets (especially sugar-free ones) you know they have a distinct smell/taste. It's not the best, but skincare isn't always necessarily going to smell the best, so that's okay with me.

The claims of this product are as follows:
- protects against free-radicals.
- replenishes lipids to reduce wrinkles, firm, and brighten skin.
- pumpkin ferment and pomegranate enzymes gently dissolve unwanted skin cells.
- anti-aging.
- supports natural collagen production and cell regeneration.
- pH level of 3.3 to 3.5.

In my experience, using it in the morning 2-3 times per week, this serum has singlehandedly made my skin more luminous and radiant. I haven't noticed any reduction in wrinkles but that's not really what I'm after when it comes to this particular product. I'm more interested in the long-term benefits and protection. Not to mention the immediate benefits: my skin looks and feels better overall. If I go without this product for a week or so, I can tell that my face doesn't look as good as it does when I'm using it regularly. I always follow up with my Josie Maran Argan mosturizer with SPF 47 and the combo has been doing me well. NO BREAKOUTS!! No adverse reactions. I've also heard that using a vitamin c serum increases the efficacy of your SPF, which is pretty awesome.

The last thing I want to talk about is the packaging. I haven't had any problems with the pump. I've noticed that if I try to dispense it with the bottle standing up, some of the serum gets on the side of the pump. But that's just because it's running down the side due to being so thin, not because the pump or packaging is broken (although it looks like it's leaking, it's not.) To avoid this I hold the bottle in the air but on it's side and pump the product so that it dispenses downward into my palm. I like that the packaging is completely airtight, which protects and preserves the product as long as possible. I kind of don't like that the packaging isn't clear because you can't tell how much is left in it, but I know what the benefits of an opaque packaging far outweigh the minor nuisance of not being able to put a finger on exactly how much product is left. Aesthetically, the packaging is pleasing. That doesn't matter if the quality of the product inside is terrible, but when the quality of the product is great pretty packaging is an added bonus.

I will continue to repurchase. My skincare routine in the morning consists of cleansing, toning, this Vitamin C serum, and a high SPF/moisturizing combo. Since I'm using so few products, I'm okay with splurging on ones that I can tell really make a difference in the quality of my complexion.

on 10/29/2016 8:36:00 PM

Definitely not my favorite product in the line. It is a thin orange gel that provides your skin with vitamin C and not much else. It does not have enough hydration on its own, even for combo/oily skin, but then again, it is just a serum. The formula is rather thin, and it seems to just slip and slide. It also doesn't seem to completely absorb and just sits on the skin, at least for me. It is very similar to Ole Henriksen Truth Serum. The difference is the price per ounce - $48 for OH and $80 for DE.

on 11/3/2016 4:23:00 PM

This is quite a simple no frills product with vitamin C, sinks in well but this isn't anything special. I usually buy the same concentration vitamin c serum from amazon that has other antixodiants that work in conjunction with the vitamin c for around $20. I felt there was more of a difference but was curious to see what a high end vitamin c was like. There was nothing adverse but I just didn't feel it made as big a difference as when theres other goodies such as Vitamin c, ferulic, resveratrol, green tea, etc. This is a well packaged but I would not purchase again since there is no value for money.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I got a travel-sized bottle of this in the DE Dayglow set during the Sephora VIB sale. I wanted to try it before committing to the full-sized version -- this stuff is not cheap. One week in, I am really liking this product. It hasn't irritated my super-sensitive, acne-prone, rosacean skin at all and is making it amazingly smooth and soft as baby's you know what. Here are the negatives: it's expensive, smells horrible (like burnt hot dogs - exactly like Skinceuticals CE Ferulic), and leaves my face sticky. But for gorgeous skin, I'm willing to sacrifice. I will be getting the full-sized bottle just as soon as I work my way through my current bottle of Replenix CF Cream.

on 12/22/2016 4:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Sad to say-I found that this product reeks. To me, it smells like the water from cooking a hot dog. It is off putting.

Nor did I like the look and feel of the product. It too was off putting--orange-ish brown tone. Felt very sticky, icky on my face.

I tried the product 4 times, but each time I had to wash it off after about 5 minutes.

I would love to have loved the product -cute packaging, company focus on non-toxic healthy ingredients. Those two things they have right but...the product itself not so good.

The product itself actually turns my stomach a bit and since I had to wash it off quickly--I can't say whether it is effective or not.

Drunk Elephant-I hope you read this and go back to the drawing board with this product.

Popular Face Skincare Products