Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.4

on 2/9/2017 11:07:00 AM

This product is why I looked at the Drunk Elephant line in the first place.

Price: I have been reading a lot lately about the benefits of using Vitamin C on the skin, so I turned to Beautypedia to get some recommendations. I was a little surprised to see that all 5-star rated products in the Vitamin C category are all relatively expensive, so it took me a while to come to terms with that. I first got this as a sample in the All Glowy Kit from Sephora, then bought the standard size bottle.

Packaging: The bottle is opaque plastic with an airless pump inside that dispenses every drop. (For reference, I took the bottle apart when I finished their Framboos, which has the same delivery system, and the interior bottle was bone dry).

Product: While the pump is airless, I would not say it's 100% dripless. This serum has a runny texture, and residue will collect on the applicator over time. I have read reviews of this that stated issues with the serum leaving an orange case on skin; I have not had this experience on either my hands or face. I like this product and think I made an excellent choice for my first attempt at using a Vitamin C product, especially given that the packaging keeps this serum stable (I've read that Vitamin C in clear glass droppers will sometimes go rancid due to light exposure or will need to be kept refrigerated, which would guarantee that I would never use it). I don't find it to have an irritating smell. I put it on after showering in the morning and follow up with my HG moisturizer (CeraVe cream). I like that it is easy to dispense and apply.

Overall, I've had HG-level results from this DR product and their Framboos, to the point where I am now slightly afraid to go off-brand in an attempt to save money, especially considering that most of the other Vitamin C products I looked at cost as much as this or more. I think if I can commit to using Vitamin C in my routine as I have with other products, this will be my staple.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I was surprised by how much I liked this product. I've tried several vitamin c serums in the past, only to be disappointed. They were, at best, ineffective, or at worst, they broke me out. To be honest, I was pretty ready to give up on vitamin c serums altogether, but then I received a deluxe sample of DE's Framboos AHA serum and liked it so much I decided to give this product a try as well, and I'm Glad I did! This one is great! It really does make a difference in the tone and clarity of my skin. It's hella expensive and smells a little off putting (like all vitamin c treatments do) but I'm willing to look past that because the difference it makes in my complexion is undeniable. The packaging is ideal -- the pump only lets out a small amount at a time, so one pump is just enough to cover the face. I will absolutely repurchase and/or recommend this product to others. If you're looking for a vitamin c serum and you've been having trouble finding one that works for you, try to get a mini version to try it out. You might be surprised!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I got a travel-sized bottle of this in the DE Dayglow set during the Sephora VIB sale. I wanted to try it before committing to the full-sized version -- this stuff is not cheap. One week in, I am really liking this product. It hasn't irritated my super-sensitive, acne-prone, rosacean skin at all and is making it amazingly smooth and soft as baby's you know what. Here are the negatives: it's expensive, smells horrible (like burnt hot dogs - exactly like Skinceuticals CE Ferulic), and leaves my face sticky. But for gorgeous skin, I'm willing to sacrifice. I will be getting the full-sized bottle just as soon as I work my way through my current bottle of Replenix CF Cream.

on 10/6/2016 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first high end skincare product I've ever tried. I looked through the ingredients list of this serum and couldn't find a single thing I didn't like. That's amazing for me, as I've grown extremely picky about the ingredients in my skincare products. Now, this product is $80.00 for 1fl oz. Pretty steep but after trying a sample I loved it and with much trepidation I purchased it. The longer I use this serum, the more my uncertainties over whether this is worth the price or not continue to diminish. It's like a glass of orange juice for your face! (an expensive glass of orange juice.)

The ingredients in this serum stay active after application for 72 hours. Even if you wash your face every day you'll continue getting the skincare benefits for at least 3 days, thanks to the presence of Sodium Hyaluranate Crosspolymer (which evidently makes this stuff so easily absorbed into the skin that it remains active underneath the skin long after the face is cleansed.) So to make it last, I only apply this once every three days. Two pumps in the palm of my hand, then I use my fingers to spread this all over my face and pat/rub it in.

The serum itself is the consistency of water. On the Sephora website it says the consistency has been thickened slightly to "improve the overall user experience". Maybe I got one that wasn't reformulated yet but either way, the thinness of the liquid isn't bothersome. The color is bright orange and some people have reported that it leaves their skin orange, but I'm very fair-complected and once it sinks in it doesn't leave any discoloration.

The scent is hard to put a finger on... it's mildly unpleasant. I tried a sample of the Ole Henricksen Truth Serum once and it smelled like rotting fish. This kind of smells similar, but the fishy smell is way less toned down to the point of being virtually unnoticeable. I feel like what I can smell most is the Vitamin C... if you've ever taken Vitamin C tablets (especially sugar-free ones) you know they have a distinct smell/taste. It's not the best, but skincare isn't always necessarily going to smell the best, so that's okay with me.

The claims of this product are as follows:
- protects against free-radicals.
- replenishes lipids to reduce wrinkles, firm, and brighten skin.
- pumpkin ferment and pomegranate enzymes gently dissolve unwanted skin cells.
- anti-aging.
- supports natural collagen production and cell regeneration.
- pH level of 3.3 to 3.5.

In my experience, using it in the morning 2-3 times per week, this serum has singlehandedly made my skin more luminous and radiant. I haven't noticed any reduction in wrinkles but that's not really what I'm after when it comes to this particular product. I'm more interested in the long-term benefits and protection. Not to mention the immediate benefits: my skin looks and feels better overall. If I go without this product for a week or so, I can tell that my face doesn't look as good as it does when I'm using it regularly. I always follow up with my Josie Maran Argan mosturizer with SPF 47 and the combo has been doing me well. NO BREAKOUTS!! No adverse reactions. I've also heard that using a vitamin c serum increases the efficacy of your SPF, which is pretty awesome.

The last thing I want to talk about is the packaging. I haven't had any problems with the pump. I've noticed that if I try to dispense it with the bottle standing up, some of the serum gets on the side of the pump. But that's just because it's running down the side due to being so thin, not because the pump or packaging is broken (although it looks like it's leaking, it's not.) To avoid this I hold the bottle in the air but on it's side and pump the product so that it dispenses downward into my palm. I like that the packaging is completely airtight, which protects and preserves the product as long as possible. I kind of don't like that the packaging isn't clear because you can't tell how much is left in it, but I know what the benefits of an opaque packaging far outweigh the minor nuisance of not being able to put a finger on exactly how much product is left. Aesthetically, the packaging is pleasing. That doesn't matter if the quality of the product inside is terrible, but when the quality of the product is great pretty packaging is an added bonus.

I will continue to repurchase. My skincare routine in the morning consists of cleansing, toning, this Vitamin C serum, and a high SPF/moisturizing combo. Since I'm using so few products, I'm okay with splurging on ones that I can tell really make a difference in the quality of my complexion.

on 8/25/2016 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have been on the fence about this product for months.

I think I really wanted it to work after paying so much for it! I also wanted my Drunk Elephant shopping spree to have a happy ending. I purchased the soaps, TLC, SPF & this. The other products were obvious misses for my skin type after the first uses. But the C-Firma ... I was undecided. I sometimes thought it gave my skin a positive effect, other times I wondered if it was causing irritation instead. I gave up trying to wear it in the AM early on - it never seemed to fully absorb into my skin and being in the porcelain skintone range - it left my complexion looking a strange shade of skin-orange. So, I switched to wearing it in the evening. Again ... I felt unmoved. I didn't think my skin looked overly better - or felt better.

I noticed numerous comparisons to SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic. I tried this product several years ago and hadn't liked it. However, our skin changes over time and I was also using foaming cleansers back then (the best thing I did for my face was switching to non-foaming cleansers).

Curious, I tentatively ordered a small travel sample on eBay, hoping it would be authentic and relatively fresh.

Tonight, I tried it. WOW. I love it. My skin just drank it right up. Zero irritation. Zero orange residue. The typical vitamin C smell dissipated in minutes. An hour later and I'm glowing. My face feels supple and hydrated - and I haven't even put on moisturiser yet. I'm very surprised - my skin is incredibly sensitive - I usually find it quite difficult to incorporate actives into my routine. My face feels amazing and looks amazing. This made me realise C-Firma is a definite no for me.

on 7/19/2016 9:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

My skin was really good before using this product, but I didn't notice a major difference after using it except that the smile lines around my mouth were more pronounced and this is NOT what I want. I also didn't notice a difference with firming or an improvement in my skin; however, this did make my face feel greasy and it DID smell like bacon grease like everyone said. I gave it a 3 because I don't think this is a bad product; it just didn't work for me.

Edit on 5/2/17: This stuff is the BEST. I guess I didn't see an improvement before, because my skin was pretty good at the time. However, my skin was looking haggard and dry and I gave this another go, and WOW. It transformed my skin and I am a believer. My skin looks plump, hydrated, and younger. I loooove this stuff.

on 7/5/2016 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This stuff is fantabulous! I def think its hit HG status already - and its only been a couple weeks of use, every other day. My skin is much smoother, my dry patches are virtually non existent, and my pores are cleaned out and refined (less visible). My makeup goes on smoothly and although I am using a couple different nighttime products which I know are working in conjunction with this, I def credit DE's C serum as a major workhorse within that mix.

To address the smell people are discussing... I don't know where all these meat byproducts are entering in here (hot dogs, bacon, etc) but that's cracking me up - its also not true LOL. This straight up smells like all vitamin C products do, which is slightly metallic. I used to make my own C serums and the C powder also had this distinctive smell. While its far from aromatherapy, its not too terrible and it dissipates pretty quick.

For ages I swore by Timeless ($24) and still do, which is a lot cheaper than DE's C and Ferulic mixture ($80), but I was caught in this cycle wherein no matter how well I stored Timeless, the product went bad before I ever even got a quarter into the bottle. So when I read DE's version was much more stable and didn't expire for (I think it is) a year, I was sold. Given all above, I figured the prices btw the two products eventually evened out. So I went for it and am so glad I did!

Update Aug 2017: Although I still love this product, I have come to find this is quite difficult to wear under makeup, so I can only use it on down days where I do not go out. Likewise, its sooooo sticky and shiny that I have to use it more like a mask; I can handle it on for a few hrs but then I need to wash it off bc it gets pretty annoying... Has this effected the way I feel about this product? Well, yes and no - I still love it and its HG, plus the fact that Vita C can't technically be washed off (I am only washing away the stickiness and the VC has basically soaked in) and also stays in the skin up to 3 days (ergo no need to deal with the annoyance on the daily), I am not too distraught. Still, I wish this could be worn under makeup for additional protection, but it doesn't play nice, so I have removed 1 star from my original 6 star rating.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an awesome new(ish) brand, I'm loving all their products so much that I bought the whole line. It's a small line so far, but I think it will grow even more, as the products really are amazing. There is a lot of consideration from Drunk Elephant on every single ingredient they put into their products, more so than most companies. This serum has absolutely excellent ingredients and feels lightweight and slightly moisturizing. It's hydrating, but those with dry skin will still need a moisturizer afterwards. I have normal to dry skin & I always use a moisturizer after this. I can see the difference in my skin after using this for 2 weeks. My face looks brighter, more radiant and even toned. The red marks I had from a PMS breakout have faded quickly. It's pricey, but money well spent, as this actually works, which is more than I can say for most products, sadly!

on 2/25/2016 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This was my first Drunk Elephant purchase. I purchased the serum because the message behind the company appealed to me. It is a new company that incorporates both natural and synthetic ingredients that are cutting-edge and effective. The company believes that today's regulations allow companies in both the natural and synthetic categories to use harmful, toxic ingredients. I started going a more natural route in my skincare routine to avoid some irritating synthetic ingredients. However, in my quest, I found there to be just as much skin irritants in some natural products as the synthetic products. This company stands out to me because of how nit picky they are over each ingredient they use in their products. So the message is great, but does the product work?

Packaging: This is the BEST packaging I've seen for a vitamin C serum. It doesn't look as fancy as others but it is very smart. They use an airless pump bottle. This helps to keep the Vitamin C serum stable. A lot of other Vitamin C serums use a bottle and dropper package that exposes the Vitamin C to air every time you open it. Vitamin C is highly unstable. I've read some complaints about the packaging; however, this is about the old packaging of the product. The new packaging solves the complaints about the liquid spilling out too fast, etc. Make sure you get the new packaging if you buy from a third party vendor. It should look like what you currently see on their website. The bottle pumps out the perfect amount of product. The bottle is an opaque plastic, keeping light from making the Vitamin C unstable. I prefer the plastic to glass because it is easier for traveling. The downside is you can't tell how much product you have left. But I will take that downside knowing I don't have to worry about my Vitamin C expiring before I use it all.

Product: I wanted a product that was good for aging and fading pigmentation, which is what Vitamin C is good for. Drunk Elephant's serums have been highly praised so I was excited to try out one of their serums. I didn't notice any results the first few days. However, it didn't cause any bad side effects so I persisted. My skin doesn't have active acne on it (thanks to past Accutane and my current Differin use), but it still is extremely acne-prone to a lot of products. This product did not break me out. It took about 4 weeks before I noticed results from it. My overall skin tone has definitely improved! :)

Note: The first week I had to use it every other morning. My face though was very sensitive from my retinoid gel. I had just built up using my retinoid gel every night without irritation. If using a Retinoid/Retinol, AHA/BHA, and Vitamin C serum for the first time, make sure you don't start using them all for the first time at once. Build up a tolerance slowly to your Retinoid or AHA/BHA before incorporating a Vitamin C serum. Use the Vitamin C serum in the morning if you are using a Retinoid/Retinol product at night. Even if you're not using a Retinoid/Retinol or AHA/BHA, allow your skin to build a tolerance to a Vitamin C serum. If your skin gets dry, give it whatever time it needs to recover. Some people are able to start using a Vitamin C serum everyday right away, others are not. Listen to your skin. It should always look good or better, not worse.

Overall I LOVE the product! A month later, my skin is brighter and healthier looking! My fiancee even made a comment about my skin looking great lately! It is also helping to fade stubborn pigmentation from past acne spots! I wait a few minutes before I apply my moisturizer/sunscreen. The initial tackiness goes away by then and absorbs into my skin. It wears well under makeup. It is expensive but it is HALF the price of the patented beloved Skinceuticals C EF serum! Out of curiosity, I compared it to a cheaper dupe of Skinceuticals and Drunk Elephant was so much better. I am curious though on how it performs compare to the actual Skinceuticals version, but I refuse to spend that amount. Drunk Elephant serum's pH is 3.3-3.5, which is in the effective 2.0-3.5 range for Vitamin C. Plus Drunk Elephant added a whole bunch of other antioxidants that are amazing for the skin!

Popular Face Skincare Products