Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

2.7

on 10/6/2016 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first high end skincare product I've ever tried. I looked through the ingredients list of this serum and couldn't find a single thing I didn't like. That's amazing for me, as I've grown extremely picky about the ingredients in my skincare products. Now, this product is $80.00 for 1fl oz. Pretty steep but after trying a sample I loved it and with much trepidation I purchased it. The longer I use this serum, the more my uncertainties over whether this is worth the price or not continue to diminish. It's like a glass of orange juice for your face! (an expensive glass of orange juice.)

The ingredients in this serum stay active after application for 72 hours. Even if you wash your face every day you'll continue getting the skincare benefits for at least 3 days, thanks to the presence of Sodium Hyaluranate Crosspolymer (which evidently makes this stuff so easily absorbed into the skin that it remains active underneath the skin long after the face is cleansed.) So to make it last, I only apply this once every three days. Two pumps in the palm of my hand, then I use my fingers to spread this all over my face and pat/rub it in.

The serum itself is the consistency of water. On the Sephora website it says the consistency has been thickened slightly to "improve the overall user experience". Maybe I got one that wasn't reformulated yet but either way, the thinness of the liquid isn't bothersome. The color is bright orange and some people have reported that it leaves their skin orange, but I'm very fair-complected and once it sinks in it doesn't leave any discoloration.

The scent is hard to put a finger on... it's mildly unpleasant. I tried a sample of the Ole Henricksen Truth Serum once and it smelled like rotting fish. This kind of smells similar, but the fishy smell is way less toned down to the point of being virtually unnoticeable. I feel like what I can smell most is the Vitamin C... if you've ever taken Vitamin C tablets (especially sugar-free ones) you know they have a distinct smell/taste. It's not the best, but skincare isn't always necessarily going to smell the best, so that's okay with me.

The claims of this product are as follows:
- protects against free-radicals.
- replenishes lipids to reduce wrinkles, firm, and brighten skin.
- pumpkin ferment and pomegranate enzymes gently dissolve unwanted skin cells.
- anti-aging.
- supports natural collagen production and cell regeneration.
- pH level of 3.3 to 3.5.

In my experience, using it in the morning 2-3 times per week, this serum has singlehandedly made my skin more luminous and radiant. I haven't noticed any reduction in wrinkles but that's not really what I'm after when it comes to this particular product. I'm more interested in the long-term benefits and protection. Not to mention the immediate benefits: my skin looks and feels better overall. If I go without this product for a week or so, I can tell that my face doesn't look as good as it does when I'm using it regularly. I always follow up with my Josie Maran Argan mosturizer with SPF 47 and the combo has been doing me well. NO BREAKOUTS!! No adverse reactions. I've also heard that using a vitamin c serum increases the efficacy of your SPF, which is pretty awesome.

The last thing I want to talk about is the packaging. I haven't had any problems with the pump. I've noticed that if I try to dispense it with the bottle standing up, some of the serum gets on the side of the pump. But that's just because it's running down the side due to being so thin, not because the pump or packaging is broken (although it looks like it's leaking, it's not.) To avoid this I hold the bottle in the air but on it's side and pump the product so that it dispenses downward into my palm. I like that the packaging is completely airtight, which protects and preserves the product as long as possible. I kind of don't like that the packaging isn't clear because you can't tell how much is left in it, but I know what the benefits of an opaque packaging far outweigh the minor nuisance of not being able to put a finger on exactly how much product is left. Aesthetically, the packaging is pleasing. That doesn't matter if the quality of the product inside is terrible, but when the quality of the product is great pretty packaging is an added bonus.

I will continue to repurchase. My skincare routine in the morning consists of cleansing, toning, this Vitamin C serum, and a high SPF/moisturizing combo. Since I'm using so few products, I'm okay with splurging on ones that I can tell really make a difference in the quality of my complexion.

on 8/25/2016 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have been on the fence about this product for months.

I think I really wanted it to work after paying so much for it! I also wanted my Drunk Elephant shopping spree to have a happy ending. I purchased the soaps, TLC, SPF & this. The other products were obvious misses for my skin type after the first uses. But the C-Firma ... I was undecided. I sometimes thought it gave my skin a positive effect, other times I wondered if it was causing irritation instead. I gave up trying to wear it in the AM early on - it never seemed to fully absorb into my skin and being in the porcelain skintone range - it left my complexion looking a strange shade of skin-orange. So, I switched to wearing it in the evening. Again ... I felt unmoved. I didn't think my skin looked overly better - or felt better.

I noticed numerous comparisons to SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic. I tried this product several years ago and hadn't liked it. However, our skin changes over time and I was also using foaming cleansers back then (the best thing I did for my face was switching to non-foaming cleansers).

Curious, I tentatively ordered a small travel sample on eBay, hoping it would be authentic and relatively fresh.

Tonight, I tried it. WOW. I love it. My skin just drank it right up. Zero irritation. Zero orange residue. The typical vitamin C smell dissipated in minutes. An hour later and I'm glowing. My face feels supple and hydrated - and I haven't even put on moisturiser yet. I'm very surprised - my skin is incredibly sensitive - I usually find it quite difficult to incorporate actives into my routine. My face feels amazing and looks amazing. This made me realise C-Firma is a definite no for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Why oh why does this stuff smell like bacon? While I love the effect of its use, and the vitamin C boost it gives my skin, the smell is just awful! Since I do love the how soft and smooth my skin is after use, I will keep using it. I typically follow up its use with another moisturizer which helps to mask the smell. I also occasionally use it in my hair to give it too, the extra boost. It's really made a difference in my skin, I have received many compliments.

Popular Face Skincare Products