Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

2.7

on 12/28/2018 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

For $100 (CAD) product this vitamin c serum has been extremely disappointing. I have used the Ole Henriksen Truth serum and Philosophy Turbo Booster C powder and I noticed results with both. I noticed the best results with the Philosophy one. The Philosophy booster C powder gave me radiant skin! I didn't notice any results with the Drunk Elephant serum after using a whole bottle. My skin became dull and it looked like I wasn't using any vitamin c serum while I was using this. I didn't like how the serum is orange coloured since that makes it difficult to tell if the serum has oxidized. I also noticed the serum turned a darker shade of orange after 3 months of use, which is very disappointing considering the air tight opaque bottle and I store it in the medicine cabinet. I noticed a huge improvement in 2 days after I went back to my Philosophy booster C powder and that only cost me $50 compared to $100 and it has a longer shelf life since it's in a powder form. I feel like Drunk elephant is a over hyped brand and I have better results with The Ordinary and drugstore products. Overall, this product didn't hurt my skin but it did absolutely nothing. I have used vitamin c serums daily for close to 2 years now. This product couldn't even maintain the results of previous vitamin c serums/powder, which shows how ineffective the formulation is for me.

on 12/12/2018 10:00:00 PM

If I had to pick one DE product that I can't live without, this would be it. At $80, you get 30 ml or 1 fluid ounce. The one thing I don't like about it is the price point, but this product is very good and is the most effective vitamin C serum I've ever used. I've tried a few before this, but this fades my hyper-pigmentation and acne scarring in 1-2 weeks. It comes in a pump bottle and is designed in a way where you can get every last drop out, so nothing goes to waste. Some criticisms about this product that I've seen is how it might cause discoloration, but I don't find that to be an issue. I use very little at a time and only apply at night onto certain problem areas of my face. The issue that I find with vitamin C is that it's very difficult to stabilize. The CosRx Triple C Lightning Liquid and the Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin C serum have drop bottles, but the product changes color rapidly as the vitamin C serum is exposed to air. A lot of people mention maybe putting it in the fridge, but I don't like spending money only to have the effectiveness of the product be diminished as soon as I open it. The greatest thing about the C-Firma Day serum is that the air-tight packaging allows for the vitamin C to REMAIN stable and effective. It earns a permanent spot on my counter because I see major results when I use it. No more dark marks!

on 11/8/2018 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. It did absolutely nothing for my skin, and oxidized to a dark amber color within 2 weeks (!) This serum also smells horrible and left a lingering unpleasant odor on my skin during the day. Would not recommend.

Pros:
none

Cons:
No visible change in my skin
Crazy fast oxidation
Smells terrible IMO (and leaves a lingering scent)
Price

on 4/28/2018 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This s the third product I have used from this brand , and I am beginning to think the brand is overrated . this didn't do much for my skin, it irritated it, and in the end I stopped using it fast...three products already thst haven't worked for me...done with this brand.

on 1/5/2018 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Was looking for a stable vitamin c serum, and this went on very thick and oily feeling and with a horrible smell of boiled hot dog water. It is a strong scent that did not dissipate throughout the day, and gave me a headache. I also did not see any benefits from using this.

on 11/25/2017 9:14:00 PM

I've used 2 bottles of this stuff and will not repurchase. I understand that you're looking for a cumulative effect as opposed to overnight results, but I didn't see any change in my skin after using this for over a year. Each bottle lasted about 6 months. I used once daily under sunscreen often mixing with the BHydra or the Marula oil. Packaging is supposed to keep air out. As the product is colored orange it's difficult to tell if it went off or not. Not worth the heavy price tag in my opinion. I will try another vitamin C serum.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Unfortunately this did not work for my skin type. I'm in my late 20's and starting to see signs of sun spots so I've been using skinceuticals aox 20 vitamin c serum for a few years now. I've never had an issue with it but I got my hands on a few sample packets of this from DE. As soon as I poured a little on my finger tips, I immediately felt the difference in consistency between the two. DE's serum is very thick and feels oily (reminded me of castor oil). Skinceuticals has a watery consistency.
So after two days of using it at night, my pores started to appear larger, my skin felt oily, and a few pimples appeared. I kept using it for another week or so and my skin kept getting worse so I stopped using it.
I can see this working for someone who is not acne prone, dry skin/small pores. I will be sticking to what works for me!

on 9/3/2017 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

This is my favourite product from Drunk Elephant. The results you see are so quick. After a month of using this daily, I've noticed my skin is brighter, the redness in my acne inflamed skin has calmed down, and it's so smooth. This product with the TLC Franbroise Glycolic Acid are the best out of the line. I did find this product is hard to spread around so I mix a drop of the Drunk Elephant Marula oil with it to spread it evenly. It's expensive but I find it works. Definitely buying again.

on 4/12/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first skincare item I've ever spent over $50 on and I have no regrets.

People's main gripe about this product seems to be the price and that you can find similar vitamin C serums for a lower cost. To some people, the $80.00 price tag on this is outrageous; while others would spend double that or more on skincare items without batting an eye. I'm one of those people who is in the middle. Will I ever buy a skincare item that costs over $100? I doubt it. But I was able to pull the trigger on this one and see myself repurchasing. Why?

I use two pumps of this product on my face every 2-3 mornings, after cleansing and before going in with any other skincare. The results I see justify the price tag for me. My complexion is noticeably brighter. I've heard that this is one of the best vitamin C serums on the market for increasing collagen production. I appreciate the fact that a good vitamin C serum increases the efficacy of any SPF applied over the top. It feels like my skin drinks this stuff right up. I'm almost done with my first bottle and it's lasted me almost 6 months, which is much longer than I expected. There's no ingredients on this product's ingredients list that make me uncomfortable or that I feel iffy about putting on my face.

Another big gripe in the reviews is the scent... I think I'm a freak of nature because I actually like the smell of this serum. Sort of fishy, sort of metallic, sort of citrus-y. Skincare isn't supposed to smell good though it's like taking a shot of wheatgrass or taking fish oil supplements. You do it for the health of your body not because you want it to taste good.

I bought a sample of this and was sold after 3 uses. I suggest trying out a few different samples of vitamin C serums before sealing the deal and buying a full-sized bottle.

on 1/21/2017 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This serum can tingle on delicate skin, but probably won’t bother skin that isn’t particularly sensitive. It has a sticky feel unless I mix it with something else, such as Lala Retro Whipped Cream. I prefer the feel of some of Drunk Elephant’s other products, such as Framboos and B-Hydra, which make the skin feel cool and refreshed. There is no masking fragrance added to C-Firma. Some of the other reviewers said that it smells like meat. There is a mild scent from the mixture but it dissipates quickly and I don’t associate it with anything unpleasant.

PROS:

1) Vitamin C is an antioxidant, so it is considered “anti-aging.” It can also have a brightening effect on some skin types and can help with hyperpigmentation or lightening freckles.
2) The formula isn't greasy.
3) The pump packaging is functional and pleasing to the eye.
4) Cruelty free brand.

CONS:

1) It's sticky.
2) It can feel distractingly itchy and tingly unless I put moisturizer over it. It’s better when I layer it with B-Hydra Gel.
3) C-Firma makes my skin look a little bit orange, even though I am only using the recommended amount.
4) It's darn expensive. 1 fluid ounce costs $80. I can buy the C15-Super Booster from Paula’s Choice ($49 for 0.67 ounces) and add a couple of drops to any moisturizer, which is more economical.

I’ll use what I have in this travel size bottle, which came in a kit with other products. However, I don’t love this product enough to buy a full bottle for $80. I think vitamin C products can be beneficial, but I’m not fond of this particular serum, especially not at this price.

I do like this brand. I have been really happy with another product from Drunk Elephant, Framboos Glycolic Night Serum. I have seen an improvement in my skin from using Framboos and purchased a full size bottle of it after finishing a travel size.

Ingredients of C-Firma:

Water (Aqua), Ethoxydiglycol, Ascorbic Acid, Glycerin, Laureth-23, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil, Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Algae Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Ferment Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Phyllanthus Emblica (Indian Gooseberry) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Tocopherol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Acetyl Glucosamine, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tetrahydro Curcuminoids, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Glycine, Sucrose, Maltodextrin, Propanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjustor), Phenoxyethanol

Popular Face Skincare Products