Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I’m on my second bottle and I absolutely love it! No irritation. It really helps with evening skin tone and I feel like it gives me a little bit of a glow.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm on the fence with this vitamin C serum.

This product is so hyped up (and still unavailable in UK) that it was on the TOP of my shopping list when I went to US last November. Even the girl at the Sephora in Seattle checkout commented how excellent it is (I knew it, I watched/read enough reviews) and my husband winced at the price ($80!).

I have started using it straight away, every second day (the vitamin C in it is supposed to work inside the skin for 72 hours) two pumps - one for the face, one for the neck and décolletée whatever remained - rubbed into the tops of my hands. I'm no fit C serums newbe, I have been using it for years. Two weeks in, I can see this product is effective - my skin is brighter, dare I say even firmer? I decided to keep it in the fridge (like all the vit C serums although DE says it is not necessary, well...) and I'll use my bottle up asap as we all know, these people want to earn money, they cannot quite be trusted especially with the stability vs colour issue - it is supposed to be stable, but IS IT?!

My one does not smell repulsive at all (my rule of thumb is if it smells bad it is not good for me) - kind of fruity, sweet (not the 'Luisiana sweet rot') and delicate. It is however the light orange colour that baffles me. I understand it has ferulic acid and pumpkin enzyme in it and product with ferulic often have a light yellow colour and funky smell. I have not felt any tingling, just a delicate warming sensation for the first one or two times I used it. It glides on the skin easily and I just put on a little bit of hyaluronic acid serum on top and I'm good to go (or apply some sunscreen) as the serum stops being sticky.

The colour of the freshly opened bottle (there is no expiry date/shelf life on the product's packaging) was translucent orange so normally I would treat any other vit C as oxidised and chuck it in the bin. However Drunk Elephant states that if it is DARK orange or brown then it has oxidised. Personally I think it is unfair towards the consumer so when I finish this bottle (apparently I have 3-4 months to do so after the opening) I will buy a different serum or even the powder form of ascorbic acid from The Ordinary and mix my own serum which I know will be fresh and not oxidised. With this one - I simply don't know if it is effective (for $80 I kind of wish IT IS), so I will not repurchase.

Btw, this blog has a great explanation of the serum's colour: https://nothingserious.blog/2017/06/15/drunk-elephant-c-firma-review/
I have chucked the excessive cardboard packaging (seriously WAY TOO MUCH packaging! Although the main twist up pump idea is rather cute) into recycling so I have emailed the brand with the encrypted code that I've managed to find on the bottom of the bottle. Let's see what their reply is going to be and I'll update my review.

UPDATE: The DE company replied really swiftly to my email and here is what they said: 'Thank you for contacting us! L-ascorbic acid naturally darkens over time. If you notice this happening, even if it is that dark from the start, it does not necessarily mean that the serum is oxidized - it's just the normal reaction!

The batch code indicates that your serum has a shelf life through June 2018. C-Firma has a 1 year shelf life, however, we recommend finishing a bottle within 4-5 months from the day you opened it. This doesn't necessarily mean that your product is bad or ineffective. It's just our tip on how to get the most out of your product. '

So... I still don't know. The DE comes to Space NK in UK in the Autumn 2018 so I will have a look at the colour of it in the bottle in the shop.

on 1/5/2018 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Was looking for a stable vitamin c serum, and this went on very thick and oily feeling and with a horrible smell of boiled hot dog water. It is a strong scent that did not dissipate throughout the day, and gave me a headache. I also did not see any benefits from using this.

I would not recommend this product for oily to combination skin. There a to manny oils that they added. But it did get rid of pigantation on my face! But not redness. But i would not repurchased I will go for a lightweight vit c serum next time. But normal to dry skin types will absolutely Love Love Love this it is hydrating at the same time.

on 10/12/2017 9:37:00 PM

This is a terrible C serum. I have nothing against Drunk Elephant and some of their products are my HG's (Lala Retro, B hydra), but man this C serum is garbage. I always keep my L-AA serums in the fridge so they don't turn before I can use them up and I have a bottle of Timeless C+E Ferulic that's been in my fridge for over 6 months and it's still crystal clear. Well I purchased a bottle of C Firma a month ago and it's been in the fridge since the day I got it and it's turned brown. Not golden or even orangish, it's totally an ugly oxidized brown. Like WTF. It's also super oily and at this point I'm not going to put it on my skin because it's so oxidized what would be the point. I'm glad I have my bottle of Timeless and I will be sticking with that since I've had great results, no oxidization and it's really inexpensive.

on 10/9/2017 11:15:00 PM

On to my second bottle. I really love using this product. I've tried a few other vitamin C serums (eg Paulas Choice) but this one is particularly lovely. The texture and smell are nice, and its often enough to use without a separate moisturiser. It also seems to be making a visible difference to my skin - my neck is more lifted and some age spots have faded. Truly lovely brand.

The Drunk Elephant C Firma Day Serum is a great vitamin c serum that you can apply in the morning before products that contain sunscreen to give your face an antioxidant boost as well as protection from free radicals. This serum is super light and absorbs quickly. Better than that is the fact that it is fragrance free and packaged in a manner that protects the beneficial ingredients from light and air. This is definitely a more expensive Vitamin C serum, but if you don't mind the price this is one of the better options out there. Vitamin C is a great brightening antioxidant that should be a part of everyone's skin care regimen, especially if you suffer from hyperpigmentation.

If you are thinking of purchasing right now the set Come C About Me gives you the full size serum plus the Jelly Beste Cleanser, B Hydra Serum, and the Umbra Sheer Tinte Sunscreen in deluxe sample sizes for almost the same price as the C-Firma Serum alone.

on 9/15/2017 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I wanted to love this! But it broke me out on my cheeks where I normally don't get acne, I got little white heads the next day after using this and it was the only product I changed in my routine. I also didn't like the texture it was oily yet not easy to spread over the face. My skin felt smothered with this on. The scent is not desirable but I don't care as long as the product works for me. If you have acne prone sensitive clog prone skin like mine please use caution. I am going to try mad hippie vitamin c serum next and see how that goes.

on 5/20/2017 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Vitamin C is not supposed to produce quick results. The added fruit enzymes exfoliated my skin, and made it look like my skin texture was improving the first few days. But it was too harsh and I broke out in small pimples all over my chin. Also, this product is oily, which made my skin worse. Not worth it. Hated their Vitamin B gel as well.

I will be searching for a simple, no-frills Vitamin C, if I decide to use Vitamin C at all. I loved the pump packaging of this product though.

on 4/20/2017 6:01:00 PM

Vitamin C serum is an essential product in my skin care regimen - you know, if you're packing minimal and whittling down your products to ESSENTIALS ONLY, Vitamin C is getting on that plane with me every time. I have tried a few: Ultraceuticals (too gel-like), The Ordinary (ok - dries sticky though), Obagi (amazing - not stocked by my beauty therapist anymore) and I have come to the conclusion that I prefer oil-like consistency Vitamin C - despite having oily/combo skin. I can't say that this has made a major difference to my skin - because I have been using good quality vitamin C for years now, so it's really about a consistent result for me, which this product provides.

The smell is fine, it goes after one or two seconds. Consistency is oil like and a single pump is enough to generously cover the whole face. Word of advice - don't forget your neck and chest, you'll need a second pump for that area. I find that post oil like Vitamin C, my sunscreen goes on like a dream - for me Vitamin C is a morning product. I appreciate the packaging, which should go a long way to reducing oxidisation - however, mine has still oxidised to a degree over the 3 months that I've been using it. Vitamin C shouldn't last too much longer than that anyway.

Good Vitamin C (in my opinion) is a great investment - along with a great Vitamin A/Retinol it is the only thing that will reduce the signs of ageing. Peptides, ceramides, HA are all great, but can't really reverse anything. To that end, the Drunk Elephant is a brilliant product, I would buy it again, it's available locally (in Aus) via Mecca and Mecca Maxima so it's easy to get hold of and the price point is about right for a strong, effective Vitamin C.