Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.2

on 11/20/2017 6:31:00 PM

Love their philosophy, especially embracing cruelty-free, but not wowed with the results. The consistency was light and set quickly. Though fragrancefree, it smelled heavenly. After using the very last drop, I think that it was a great moisturizer, but without the usual benefits from other c serums. Not likely to repurchase, but may try other products.

I have been using this for about 6 weeks. I am still on the fence about this, but I think I'm impressed. I should note, I gave the packaging a bad grade, but that is because I am using the mini-size (the one Sephora sells with the Hydro-jel, "the brights" mini pack), and the pump is fussy - it dispenses an irregular amount, but it also sprays 2 separate spurts when you pump it, so you have to be very careful where you aim it, or it goes shooting off into the sink or some such other place, which is an annoying waste of money. I am sure these problems don't occur with the regular size packaging.
I did break out badly about a week after starting to use this product. It could have been a coincidence, but I got a big pimple, which is unusual for me - usually I just get rosacea-related redness. But the girl at Sephora warned me that might happen, and I pushed through, and now I'm pretty pleased with it. Actually in truth, I am crossing my fingers and keeping on using it, because I THINK it is clearing up my blackheads (which reddit skincare says are actually sebaceous filaments?? whatever they are, they are on my t zone and they suck)... I am not SURE, it could be in my imagination, but my t-zone SEEMS to be looking clearer. So I'll buy the small pack again (for what it's worth, the little tiny small size has lasted me 6 weeks of daily use already, so that's pretty good) -- I can't afford $100 at a time for the big one, and I'm not totally convinced enough to drop that much $ anyway... But if it really does clear up those black heads, I'll be in awe! Besides that, I don't think it's helped with my redness at all, but I do think I have a bit more glow and brightness, and my skin feels smooth and pleasant. I do use it with the hydro-jel that it came with. Oh and the smell is quite shocking - to me, it smells exactly like artificial bacon bits (not like real bacon) - but it doesn't linger.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This stuff is great, and if I were in a slightly higher income bracket it would be my go-to vitamin C treatment. I got one of the mini sampler duo things from Sephora that has this and the blue-cap moisturizer gel whatever, and while I didn't like that one I loved the C-Firma serum and used every last drop. I have sensitive, acne prone skin with mild rosacea, so it is always a fun time trying new skincare products. I had never used a vitamin C serum or really anything with vitamin C before, so I didn't really know what to expect. Given that my face is covered in the most crybaby skin you can imagine, I expected some burning or stinging at first given different things I had read, but it wasn't nearly that bad, maybe just a little tingly the first couple of times but nothing drastic or unnerving. The small vial in the duo lasted me about a month, and in that time I saw some pretty dramatic changes in the overall tone of my skin as well as acne spots that became significantly less noticeable. I used it during the day, of course, and I didn't notice any effect on the wear or longevity of my makeup or anything though I did usually let it sink in for at least a few minutes before I applied the next steps in my skincare routine. I am kicking myself for even trying this before less expensive alternatives because I have yet to try anything that's as good or as quick at showing results, but I might splurge during the VIB sale since I'd guess that a full size bottle would probably last me a good long time. Darn you, Drunk Elephant, for making such a fabulous product that is a stretch for my middle class self. Update Jan. 2018: I got the full size and I am still loving it. I only use one pump per day, so I think the bottle will last long enough that the cost is offset somewhat. I think the packaging of the full size is really nice (and fun!) and it seems like a worthy investment.

on 7/26/2017 5:53:00 PM

I use this a few times a week. I think it might do a little something for brightening, but not sure. It does smell terrible (like hot dogs), and my face feels sticky for a few hours after I've put it on.

The packaging is genius. I love how the top twists and turns into a pump.

While I checked that I would repurchase it, it's more of a "maybe" I'll repurchase it. I think I may like to try some other vitamin C products first. It is pretty expensive.

on 5/20/2017 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

So far I've tried three DE products and this is the only one I will for sure be repurchasing. My skin is dry and sensitive so I worried that I wouldn't be able to tolerate this, but it has been completely fine. My skin drinks it in and it's easy to wear under moisturizers, foundations, SPF, whatever - it doesn't seem to conflict with anything. The packaging keeps the ingredients stable and although the price is a little high, a little goes a long way so I think it's a good value. The smell is unusual (in skincare at least. i think it smells like a jar of vitamins...definitely not a fragrance type of odor) but not terribly strong. I know the benefits of a vitamin C serum are more long term, but I swear I think my skin is slightly brighter and more even in tone and texture. The only other vitamin C serum I have tried was by Ole Henrikson and while that didn't irritate my skin I didn't notice any change, but with this I do see more of a benefit.
UPDATE: bumping it up to 5 lippies. My skin just loves this. My complexion is smooth and this seems to really prep my skin to get the most out of moisturizers. I've completely gotten accustomed to the smell so I don't even notice it anymore.

on 4/3/2017 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is my first Vit C serum, so I have nothing to compare it to. After doing some internet research, I came to the conclusion that Vitamin C was too unstable to realistically make a DIY serum, and choosing the right formula was essential. Drunk Elephant seemed to consistently be among the best rated and had all the right ingredients, although very pricey.

I've only been using for a couple of weeks every other day (will update my review as I go) so I haven't noticed any positive effects yet. But it hasn't broken me out or irritated my skin, so it's a good start.

I love the pump system, fancy AF. You only need a tiny amount of product, one pump covers my whole face. It feels like a light oil when you pump it out, but it dries like a thin shiny plastic layer which is a bit weird. I really don't like how it feels on my skin to be honest, it doesn't feel like it's penetrating. I tried 2 pumps once but the product was too thick on my skin and it felt so weird and looked way too shiny. Alone it makes skin feel tacky even with only one pump, so after it dries I put a thin moisturizer or SS over to soften it up. It smells like sawdust, like a carpenters workshop or a camp fire, which is an unusual but not necessarily unpleasant smell.

EDIT: The serum turned dark orange within a few weeks. It expired and I think I have over half the bottle left. There is no expiry or best before date anywhere on the box or the bottle, so how are you supposed to know the shelf life?!! Waste of 100$ in my opinion. It didn't do anything, it never felt like it was penetrating, it just sat there and made me super orange and shiny. My facecloth would be super orange after washing my face the next morning (I could also use at night due to shininess). Would not buy again, would not recommend.

on 3/21/2017 10:30:00 PM

I just love this serum. Three drops all over the face + B Hydra in the AM. You are all set!

This doesn't cause breakouts or irritations for me. I use it every day in the morning under sunscreen. I use a .05% tretinoin cream at night. My dermatologist recommended this combination years ago, a tretinoin at night and vitamin c serum in the morning under sunscreen. I tried less expensive brands first, but my pores clogged. This is the least irritating product I have found.

on 1/25/2017 10:18:00 AM

I use this after I wash my face in the morning with the DE soap - it works great- I would say I use it 5 out of 7 mornings of the week just to give my skin a rest on the other days... I use all of the DE products and I follow this product with the DE sunscreen which I have also reviewed.

on 1/21/2017 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This serum can tingle on delicate skin, but probably won’t bother skin that isn’t particularly sensitive. It has a sticky feel unless I mix it with something else, such as Lala Retro Whipped Cream. I prefer the feel of some of Drunk Elephant’s other products, such as Framboos and B-Hydra, which make the skin feel cool and refreshed. There is no masking fragrance added to C-Firma. Some of the other reviewers said that it smells like meat. There is a mild scent from the mixture but it dissipates quickly and I don’t associate it with anything unpleasant.

PROS:

1) Vitamin C is an antioxidant, so it is considered “anti-aging.” It can also have a brightening effect on some skin types and can help with hyperpigmentation or lightening freckles.
2) The formula isn't greasy.
3) The pump packaging is functional and pleasing to the eye.
4) Cruelty free brand.

CONS:

1) It's sticky.
2) It can feel distractingly itchy and tingly unless I put moisturizer over it. It’s better when I layer it with B-Hydra Gel.
3) C-Firma makes my skin look a little bit orange, even though I am only using the recommended amount.
4) It's darn expensive. 1 fluid ounce costs $80. I can buy the C15-Super Booster from Paula’s Choice ($49 for 0.67 ounces) and add a couple of drops to any moisturizer, which is more economical.

I’ll use what I have in this travel size bottle, which came in a kit with other products. However, I don’t love this product enough to buy a full bottle for $80. I think vitamin C products can be beneficial, but I’m not fond of this particular serum, especially not at this price.

I do like this brand. I have been really happy with another product from Drunk Elephant, Framboos Glycolic Night Serum. I have seen an improvement in my skin from using Framboos and purchased a full size bottle of it after finishing a travel size.

Ingredients of C-Firma:

Water (Aqua), Ethoxydiglycol, Ascorbic Acid, Glycerin, Laureth-23, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil, Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Algae Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Ferment Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Phyllanthus Emblica (Indian Gooseberry) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Tocopherol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Acetyl Glucosamine, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tetrahydro Curcuminoids, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Glycine, Sucrose, Maltodextrin, Propanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjustor), Phenoxyethanol

Popular Face Skincare Products