Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.3

This doesn't cause breakouts or irritations for me. I use it every day in the morning under sunscreen. I use a .05% tretinoin cream at night. My dermatologist recommended this combination years ago, a tretinoin at night and vitamin c serum in the morning under sunscreen. I tried less expensive brands first, but my pores clogged. This is the least irritating product I have found.

on 2/9/2017 11:07:00 AM

This product is why I looked at the Drunk Elephant line in the first place.

Price: I have been reading a lot lately about the benefits of using Vitamin C on the skin, so I turned to Beautypedia to get some recommendations. I was a little surprised to see that all 5-star rated products in the Vitamin C category are all relatively expensive, so it took me a while to come to terms with that. I first got this as a sample in the All Glowy Kit from Sephora, then bought the standard size bottle.

Packaging: The bottle is opaque plastic with an airless pump inside that dispenses every drop. (For reference, I took the bottle apart when I finished their Framboos, which has the same delivery system, and the interior bottle was bone dry).

Product: While the pump is airless, I would not say it's 100% dripless. This serum has a runny texture, and residue will collect on the applicator over time. I have read reviews of this that stated issues with the serum leaving an orange case on skin; I have not had this experience on either my hands or face. I like this product and think I made an excellent choice for my first attempt at using a Vitamin C product, especially given that the packaging keeps this serum stable (I've read that Vitamin C in clear glass droppers will sometimes go rancid due to light exposure or will need to be kept refrigerated, which would guarantee that I would never use it). I don't find it to have an irritating smell. I put it on after showering in the morning and follow up with my HG moisturizer (CeraVe cream). I like that it is easy to dispense and apply.

Overall, I've had HG-level results from this DR product and their Framboos, to the point where I am now slightly afraid to go off-brand in an attempt to save money, especially considering that most of the other Vitamin C products I looked at cost as much as this or more. I think if I can commit to using Vitamin C in my routine as I have with other products, this will be my staple.

on 1/25/2017 10:18:00 AM

I use this after I wash my face in the morning with the DE soap - it works great- I would say I use it 5 out of 7 mornings of the week just to give my skin a rest on the other days... I use all of the DE products and I follow this product with the DE sunscreen which I have also reviewed.

on 1/21/2017 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This serum can tingle on delicate skin, but probably won’t bother skin that isn’t particularly sensitive. It has a sticky feel unless I mix it with something else, such as Lala Retro Whipped Cream. I prefer the feel of some of Drunk Elephant’s other products, such as Framboos and B-Hydra, which make the skin feel cool and refreshed. There is no masking fragrance added to C-Firma. Some of the other reviewers said that it smells like meat. There is a mild scent from the mixture but it dissipates quickly and I don’t associate it with anything unpleasant.

PROS:

1) Vitamin C is an antioxidant, so it is considered “anti-aging.” It can also have a brightening effect on some skin types and can help with hyperpigmentation or lightening freckles.
2) The formula isn't greasy.
3) The pump packaging is functional and pleasing to the eye.
4) Cruelty free brand.

CONS:

1) It's sticky.
2) It can feel distractingly itchy and tingly unless I put moisturizer over it. It’s better when I layer it with B-Hydra Gel.
3) C-Firma makes my skin look a little bit orange, even though I am only using the recommended amount.
4) It's darn expensive. 1 fluid ounce costs $80. I can buy the C15-Super Booster from Paula’s Choice ($49 for 0.67 ounces) and add a couple of drops to any moisturizer, which is more economical.

I’ll use what I have in this travel size bottle, which came in a kit with other products. However, I don’t love this product enough to buy a full bottle for $80. I think vitamin C products can be beneficial, but I’m not fond of this particular serum, especially not at this price.

I do like this brand. I have been really happy with another product from Drunk Elephant, Framboos Glycolic Night Serum. I have seen an improvement in my skin from using Framboos and purchased a full size bottle of it after finishing a travel size.

Ingredients of C-Firma:

Water (Aqua), Ethoxydiglycol, Ascorbic Acid, Glycerin, Laureth-23, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil, Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Algae Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Ferment Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Phyllanthus Emblica (Indian Gooseberry) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Tocopherol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Acetyl Glucosamine, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tetrahydro Curcuminoids, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Glycine, Sucrose, Maltodextrin, Propanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjustor), Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I was surprised by how much I liked this product. I've tried several vitamin c serums in the past, only to be disappointed. They were, at best, ineffective, or at worst, they broke me out. To be honest, I was pretty ready to give up on vitamin c serums altogether, but then I received a deluxe sample of DE's Framboos AHA serum and liked it so much I decided to give this product a try as well, and I'm Glad I did! This one is great! It really does make a difference in the tone and clarity of my skin. It's hella expensive and smells a little off putting (like all vitamin c treatments do) but I'm willing to look past that because the difference it makes in my complexion is undeniable. The packaging is ideal -- the pump only lets out a small amount at a time, so one pump is just enough to cover the face. I will absolutely repurchase and/or recommend this product to others. If you're looking for a vitamin c serum and you've been having trouble finding one that works for you, try to get a mini version to try it out. You might be surprised!

on 12/22/2016 4:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Sad to say-I found that this product reeks. To me, it smells like the water from cooking a hot dog. It is off putting.

Nor did I like the look and feel of the product. It too was off putting--orange-ish brown tone. Felt very sticky, icky on my face.

I tried the product 4 times, but each time I had to wash it off after about 5 minutes.

I would love to have loved the product -cute packaging, company focus on non-toxic healthy ingredients. Those two things they have right but...the product itself not so good.

The product itself actually turns my stomach a bit and since I had to wash it off quickly--I can't say whether it is effective or not.

Drunk Elephant-I hope you read this and go back to the drawing board with this product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I got a travel-sized bottle of this in the DE Dayglow set during the Sephora VIB sale. I wanted to try it before committing to the full-sized version -- this stuff is not cheap. One week in, I am really liking this product. It hasn't irritated my super-sensitive, acne-prone, rosacean skin at all and is making it amazingly smooth and soft as baby's you know what. Here are the negatives: it's expensive, smells horrible (like burnt hot dogs - exactly like Skinceuticals CE Ferulic), and leaves my face sticky. But for gorgeous skin, I'm willing to sacrifice. I will be getting the full-sized bottle just as soon as I work my way through my current bottle of Replenix CF Cream.

on 11/3/2016 4:23:00 PM

This is quite a simple no frills product with vitamin C, sinks in well but this isn't anything special. I usually buy the same concentration vitamin c serum from amazon that has other antixodiants that work in conjunction with the vitamin c for around $20. I felt there was more of a difference but was curious to see what a high end vitamin c was like. There was nothing adverse but I just didn't feel it made as big a difference as when theres other goodies such as Vitamin c, ferulic, resveratrol, green tea, etc. This is a well packaged but I would not purchase again since there is no value for money.

on 10/29/2016 8:36:00 PM

Definitely not my favorite product in the line. It is a thin orange gel that provides your skin with vitamin C and not much else. It does not have enough hydration on its own, even for combo/oily skin, but then again, it is just a serum. The formula is rather thin, and it seems to just slip and slide. It also doesn't seem to completely absorb and just sits on the skin, at least for me. It is very similar to Ole Henriksen Truth Serum. The difference is the price per ounce - $48 for OH and $80 for DE.

on 10/6/2016 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first high end skincare product I've ever tried. I looked through the ingredients list of this serum and couldn't find a single thing I didn't like. That's amazing for me, as I've grown extremely picky about the ingredients in my skincare products. Now, this product is $80.00 for 1fl oz. Pretty steep but after trying a sample I loved it and with much trepidation I purchased it. The longer I use this serum, the more my uncertainties over whether this is worth the price or not continue to diminish. It's like a glass of orange juice for your face! (an expensive glass of orange juice.)

The ingredients in this serum stay active after application for 72 hours. Even if you wash your face every day you'll continue getting the skincare benefits for at least 3 days, thanks to the presence of Sodium Hyaluranate Crosspolymer (which evidently makes this stuff so easily absorbed into the skin that it remains active underneath the skin long after the face is cleansed.) So to make it last, I only apply this once every three days. Two pumps in the palm of my hand, then I use my fingers to spread this all over my face and pat/rub it in.

The serum itself is the consistency of water. On the Sephora website it says the consistency has been thickened slightly to "improve the overall user experience". Maybe I got one that wasn't reformulated yet but either way, the thinness of the liquid isn't bothersome. The color is bright orange and some people have reported that it leaves their skin orange, but I'm very fair-complected and once it sinks in it doesn't leave any discoloration.

The scent is hard to put a finger on... it's mildly unpleasant. I tried a sample of the Ole Henricksen Truth Serum once and it smelled like rotting fish. This kind of smells similar, but the fishy smell is way less toned down to the point of being virtually unnoticeable. I feel like what I can smell most is the Vitamin C... if you've ever taken Vitamin C tablets (especially sugar-free ones) you know they have a distinct smell/taste. It's not the best, but skincare isn't always necessarily going to smell the best, so that's okay with me.

The claims of this product are as follows:
- protects against free-radicals.
- replenishes lipids to reduce wrinkles, firm, and brighten skin.
- pumpkin ferment and pomegranate enzymes gently dissolve unwanted skin cells.
- anti-aging.
- supports natural collagen production and cell regeneration.
- pH level of 3.3 to 3.5.

In my experience, using it in the morning 2-3 times per week, this serum has singlehandedly made my skin more luminous and radiant. I haven't noticed any reduction in wrinkles but that's not really what I'm after when it comes to this particular product. I'm more interested in the long-term benefits and protection. Not to mention the immediate benefits: my skin looks and feels better overall. If I go without this product for a week or so, I can tell that my face doesn't look as good as it does when I'm using it regularly. I always follow up with my Josie Maran Argan mosturizer with SPF 47 and the combo has been doing me well. NO BREAKOUTS!! No adverse reactions. I've also heard that using a vitamin c serum increases the efficacy of your SPF, which is pretty awesome.

The last thing I want to talk about is the packaging. I haven't had any problems with the pump. I've noticed that if I try to dispense it with the bottle standing up, some of the serum gets on the side of the pump. But that's just because it's running down the side due to being so thin, not because the pump or packaging is broken (although it looks like it's leaking, it's not.) To avoid this I hold the bottle in the air but on it's side and pump the product so that it dispenses downward into my palm. I like that the packaging is completely airtight, which protects and preserves the product as long as possible. I kind of don't like that the packaging isn't clear because you can't tell how much is left in it, but I know what the benefits of an opaque packaging far outweigh the minor nuisance of not being able to put a finger on exactly how much product is left. Aesthetically, the packaging is pleasing. That doesn't matter if the quality of the product inside is terrible, but when the quality of the product is great pretty packaging is an added bonus.

I will continue to repurchase. My skincare routine in the morning consists of cleansing, toning, this Vitamin C serum, and a high SPF/moisturizing combo. Since I'm using so few products, I'm okay with splurging on ones that I can tell really make a difference in the quality of my complexion.

Popular Face Skincare Products