Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.3

on 5/20/2017 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Vitamin C is not supposed to produce quick results. The added fruit enzymes exfoliated my skin, and made it look like my skin texture was improving the first few days. But it was too harsh and I broke out in small pimples all over my chin. Also, this product is oily, which made my skin worse. Not worth it. Hated their Vitamin B gel as well.

I will be searching for a simple, no-frills Vitamin C, if I decide to use Vitamin C at all. I loved the pump packaging of this product though.

on 5/20/2017 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

So far I've tried three DE products and this is the only one I will for sure be repurchasing. My skin is dry and sensitive so I worried that I wouldn't be able to tolerate this, but it has been completely fine. My skin drinks it in and it's easy to wear under moisturizers, foundations, SPF, whatever - it doesn't seem to conflict with anything. The packaging keeps the ingredients stable and although the price is a little high, a little goes a long way so I think it's a good value. The smell is unusual (in skincare at least. i think it smells like a jar of vitamins...definitely not a fragrance type of odor) but not terribly strong. I know the benefits of a vitamin C serum are more long term, but I swear I think my skin is slightly brighter and more even in tone and texture. The only other vitamin C serum I have tried was by Ole Henrikson and while that didn't irritate my skin I didn't notice any change, but with this I do see more of a benefit.
UPDATE: bumping it up to 5 lippies. My skin just loves this. My complexion is smooth and this seems to really prep my skin to get the most out of moisturizers. I've completely gotten accustomed to the smell so I don't even notice it anymore.

on 4/20/2017 6:01:00 PM

Vitamin C serum is an essential product in my skin care regimen - you know, if you're packing minimal and whittling down your products to ESSENTIALS ONLY, Vitamin C is getting on that plane with me every time. I have tried a few: Ultraceuticals (too gel-like), The Ordinary (ok - dries sticky though), Obagi (amazing - not stocked by my beauty therapist anymore) and I have come to the conclusion that I prefer oil-like consistency Vitamin C - despite having oily/combo skin. I can't say that this has made a major difference to my skin - because I have been using good quality vitamin C for years now, so it's really about a consistent result for me, which this product provides.

The smell is fine, it goes after one or two seconds. Consistency is oil like and a single pump is enough to generously cover the whole face. Word of advice - don't forget your neck and chest, you'll need a second pump for that area. I find that post oil like Vitamin C, my sunscreen goes on like a dream - for me Vitamin C is a morning product. I appreciate the packaging, which should go a long way to reducing oxidisation - however, mine has still oxidised to a degree over the 3 months that I've been using it. Vitamin C shouldn't last too much longer than that anyway.

Good Vitamin C (in my opinion) is a great investment - along with a great Vitamin A/Retinol it is the only thing that will reduce the signs of ageing. Peptides, ceramides, HA are all great, but can't really reverse anything. To that end, the Drunk Elephant is a brilliant product, I would buy it again, it's available locally (in Aus) via Mecca and Mecca Maxima so it's easy to get hold of and the price point is about right for a strong, effective Vitamin C.

I did major research on finding a Vit C serum, as I know its benefits and that stability/packaging is a major issue. This seemed to be the winner, and the price didn't seem too bad given that "other" serums may be de-activated by light (per research). Have used Ole Hendriksens "truth serum" many moons ago with no real effect, and think it might have been less potent, if at all

Although I was excited to introduce Vitamin C into my regimen and this was pretty irritating, surpassingly, even though I did incorporate slowly, used sunscreen (not just makeup with sunscreen), etc. It does smell foul, almost smoky, but that dissipates. I did return, but am still on the hunt.

on 4/12/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first skincare item I've ever spent over $50 on and I have no regrets.

People's main gripe about this product seems to be the price and that you can find similar vitamin C serums for a lower cost. To some people, the $80.00 price tag on this is outrageous; while others would spend double that or more on skincare items without batting an eye. I'm one of those people who is in the middle. Will I ever buy a skincare item that costs over $100? I doubt it. But I was able to pull the trigger on this one and see myself repurchasing. Why?

I use two pumps of this product on my face every 2-3 mornings, after cleansing and before going in with any other skincare. The results I see justify the price tag for me. My complexion is noticeably brighter. I've heard that this is one of the best vitamin C serums on the market for increasing collagen production. I appreciate the fact that a good vitamin C serum increases the efficacy of any SPF applied over the top. It feels like my skin drinks this stuff right up. I'm almost done with my first bottle and it's lasted me almost 6 months, which is much longer than I expected. There's no ingredients on this product's ingredients list that make me uncomfortable or that I feel iffy about putting on my face.

Another big gripe in the reviews is the scent... I think I'm a freak of nature because I actually like the smell of this serum. Sort of fishy, sort of metallic, sort of citrus-y. Skincare isn't supposed to smell good though it's like taking a shot of wheatgrass or taking fish oil supplements. You do it for the health of your body not because you want it to taste good.

I bought a sample of this and was sold after 3 uses. I suggest trying out a few different samples of vitamin C serums before sealing the deal and buying a full-sized bottle.

on 4/3/2017 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is my first Vit C serum, so I have nothing to compare it to. After doing some internet research, I came to the conclusion that Vitamin C was too unstable to realistically make a DIY serum, and choosing the right formula was essential. Drunk Elephant seemed to consistently be among the best rated and had all the right ingredients, although very pricey.

I've only been using for a couple of weeks every other day (will update my review as I go) so I haven't noticed any positive effects yet. But it hasn't broken me out or irritated my skin, so it's a good start.

I love the pump system, fancy AF. You only need a tiny amount of product, one pump covers my whole face. It feels like a light oil when you pump it out, but it dries like a thin shiny plastic layer which is a bit weird. I really don't like how it feels on my skin to be honest, it doesn't feel like it's penetrating. I tried 2 pumps once but the product was too thick on my skin and it felt so weird and looked way too shiny. Alone it makes skin feel tacky even with only one pump, so after it dries I put a thin moisturizer or SS over to soften it up. It smells like sawdust, like a carpenters workshop or a camp fire, which is an unusual but not necessarily unpleasant smell.

EDIT: The serum turned dark orange within a few weeks. It expired and I think I have over half the bottle left. There is no expiry or best before date anywhere on the box or the bottle, so how are you supposed to know the shelf life?!! Waste of 100$ in my opinion. It didn't do anything, it never felt like it was penetrating, it just sat there and made me super orange and shiny. My facecloth would be super orange after washing my face the next morning (I could also use at night due to shininess). Would not buy again, would not recommend.

on 4/1/2017 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

It smells of rotting oranges and it leaves the skin with a sticky kind of feeling. Really disliked it!

on 3/22/2017 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

A little bit about myself:
-oily/combination skin but wait there is more - also sensitive
-mid 20's
-olive skin
-I live in the tropics so my makeup/skincare not only has to adapt to the insane heat + humidity but also to the office AC as well

To be honest this is only the 2nd vitamin C serum I`ve used thus far, the other one being Glossier`s one which is just not very good - peep my review for that one in its section. This was my first Vitamin C serum and I kind of wish I stuck with it rather than looking for another one - my sister noticed this *glow* in my face after she visited (thats a real thing apparently) I had only been using this for about 2-3 months.

Pros:
-You get a glow
-It improved the dark spots I had from neglecting suncreen these past few years
-Takes a sec to sink in but does not leave you feeling oily
-Mosturizer goes on easyyyy afterwards
-Drunk Elephant is made from ingredients that are safe on the skin - I noticed no irritation whatsoever which made this product perfect for my first vitamin c serum
-Safe to use with other products too - I used it with the Shiseido Serum sometimes and Luna retinol (the blue one)

Cons:
-The smell is F O U L but you`ll get over it, its worth it, after a while you don`t notice it

Protip: Don`t forget the sunscreen! If you do decide to use this in the morning + retinol at night invest in a good mosturizing cream since the combination might make your skin a bit dry.

on 3/21/2017 10:30:00 PM

I just love this serum. Three drops all over the face + B Hydra in the AM. You are all set!

on 3/18/2017 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I was very curious to try DE after the positive reviews and the C Firma Day Serum seemed like a good choice as I was also looking for another vit C and ferulic acid combo (I was a fan of Skinceuticals). It's a thin and runny serum that sinks/dries quickly on the skin - definitely not rich enough to use on its own. I had great success using this in combination with Sunday Riley's Juno face oil, my face practically glowed and I could skip foundation if I wanted to. The packaging is simple and travel friendly but some of the product does seem to seep out of the pump so it was a bit annoying to have to wipe off the oxidized serum. I would definitely repurchase this over Skinceuticals and despite the hefty price tag, to me it's money well spent. However, I'm trying Deciem The Ordinary next as they've got a variety of vit c serums that you can mix and match with others and a fraction of the price of most beauty lines. Will see how that goes!

Popular Face Skincare Products