Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

3.0

on 8/25/2016 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have been on the fence about this product for months.

I think I really wanted it to work after paying so much for it! I also wanted my Drunk Elephant shopping spree to have a happy ending. I purchased the soaps, TLC, SPF & this. The other products were obvious misses for my skin type after the first uses. But the C-Firma ... I was undecided. I sometimes thought it gave my skin a positive effect, other times I wondered if it was causing irritation instead. I gave up trying to wear it in the AM early on - it never seemed to fully absorb into my skin and being in the porcelain skintone range - it left my complexion looking a strange shade of skin-orange. So, I switched to wearing it in the evening. Again ... I felt unmoved. I didn't think my skin looked overly better - or felt better.

I noticed numerous comparisons to SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic. I tried this product several years ago and hadn't liked it. However, our skin changes over time and I was also using foaming cleansers back then (the best thing I did for my face was switching to non-foaming cleansers).

Curious, I tentatively ordered a small travel sample on eBay, hoping it would be authentic and relatively fresh.

Tonight, I tried it. WOW. I love it. My skin just drank it right up. Zero irritation. Zero orange residue. The typical vitamin C smell dissipated in minutes. An hour later and I'm glowing. My face feels supple and hydrated - and I haven't even put on moisturiser yet. I'm very surprised - my skin is incredibly sensitive - I usually find it quite difficult to incorporate actives into my routine. My face feels amazing and looks amazing. This made me realise C-Firma is a definite no for me.

on 7/19/2016 9:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

My skin was really good before using this product, but I didn't notice a major difference after using it except that the smile lines around my mouth were more pronounced and this is NOT what I want. I also didn't notice a difference with firming or an improvement in my skin; however, this did make my face feel greasy and it DID smell like bacon grease like everyone said. I gave it a 3 because I don't think this is a bad product; it just didn't work for me.

Edit on 5/2/17: This stuff is the BEST. I guess I didn't see an improvement before, because my skin was pretty good at the time. However, my skin was looking haggard and dry and I gave this another go, and WOW. It transformed my skin and I am a believer. My skin looks plump, hydrated, and younger. I loooove this stuff.

I like this stuff a lot. It's packaged well for C serum so that it doesn't oxidize. My skin has looked great since starting it about a month ago; no breakouts from it, it's not sticky, no complaints at all.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an awesome new(ish) brand, I'm loving all their products so much that I bought the whole line. It's a small line so far, but I think it will grow even more, as the products really are amazing. There is a lot of consideration from Drunk Elephant on every single ingredient they put into their products, more so than most companies. This serum has absolutely excellent ingredients and feels lightweight and slightly moisturizing. It's hydrating, but those with dry skin will still need a moisturizer afterwards. I have normal to dry skin & I always use a moisturizer after this. I can see the difference in my skin after using this for 2 weeks. My face looks brighter, more radiant and even toned. The red marks I had from a PMS breakout have faded quickly. It's pricey, but money well spent, as this actually works, which is more than I can say for most products, sadly!

I'm surprised I'm the first to review this, so I'll include some more information.

I haven't been able to find a vitamin c product that I've liked which is frustrating because I want the benefits. They either are ineffective or irritate my skin. I found this while looking for options at Sephora and it had great reviews. Paula B also gave this a very high rating.

The line is based off marula oil, which is new to me. Oils can be iffy on my skin and so far I've had no problems.

I have been using it for about two weeks and here's my initial thoughts (I'll update it after I've used the whole jar)
- Consistency: watery with a slight viscous gel feeling. It would definitely spill all over or slip through you fingers if you aren't careful.
- Smell: earthy, non-chemical or processed. I don't love it but I don't hate it. It dissipates quickly. My skin is sensitive to fragrance, so I appreciate this.
- Packaging: It's cute and it is in a PUMP thank you! The packaging is not substantial though. It feels light and easily breakable. It is also opaque which is nice given the vitamin c, but you can't tell how much is in there and as I mentioned, it feels very light.
- Application: I squirt two squirts in my hand and then use the other hand to apply because it's watery. The two squirts cover my face and neck. I noticed that in some areas it stung a bit right off the bat which means it's got some potent stuff in there. That also dissipated quickly. It's easy to rub in, has an orange tint to the gel and sinks in. I wait 5-10 minutes then follow up with my moisturizer. When I remember, I use another squirt for my chest.
-Price: I want to say this was around $80 which is not cheap, but is supposed to be Skinceuticals' rival which is twice the cost. If it really works as effectively, bonus!

Overall I've been pleased. I haven't seen anything dramatic yet, but I use alot of products so if you're starting from scratch this may make a more immediate impact. My skin does glow and I've had no adverse reactions.

Ingredients (from their website):
1 FL. OZ
-Potent Antioxidant Complex (15% L-Ascorbic Acid, Ferulic Acid, Vitamin E (1%): Promotes collagen synthesis and protects against damaging UV rays to better prevent visible signs of aging.

-Pumpkin Ferment Extract and Pomegranate Enzyme: Both Improve cellular renewal and work to enzymatically digest surface dead skin cells and decongest pores.

-Vinis Vinifera (Grape Juice): Potent antioxidant and UV absorber that helps treat fine lines and discoloration.

-Licorice Root Extract: Brightens, lightens and de-puffs the skin.

-Indian Gooseberry: An antioxidant-rich super fruit that helps to prevent oxidative stress and degradation of skin proteins, while promoting firmness.

-Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer: Able to penetrate the skin to hydrate and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while promoting collagen formation.

-Chronocyclin: An anti-aging chronopeptide that biotransforms into Vitamin D and mimics sun exposure activation of the circadian genes. It optimizes skin physiological activities of defense and cells regeneration. Helps prevent signs of aging and sun damage.

-Virgin Marula Oil: Hydrating oil that protects, heals and rejuvenates the skin. High in Antioxidants and Omegas 6 & 9.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Ethoxydiglycol, Ascorbic Acid, Glycerin, Laureth-23, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil, Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Algae Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Ferment Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Phyllanthus Emblica (Indian Gooseberry) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Tocopherol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Acetyl Glucosamine, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tetrahydro Curcuminoids, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Glycine, Sucrose, Maltodextrin, Propanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan gum, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60

Cruelty-Free. Gluten-Free. Recycle for Earth's Sake. Supporter of IEF (International Elephant Foundation).

Popular Face Skincare Products