Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.7

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Unfortunately this did not work for my skin type. I'm in my late 20's and starting to see signs of sun spots so I've been using skinceuticals aox 20 vitamin c serum for a few years now. I've never had an issue with it but I got my hands on a few sample packets of this from DE. As soon as I poured a little on my finger tips, I immediately felt the difference in consistency between the two. DE's serum is very thick and feels oily (reminded me of castor oil). Skinceuticals has a watery consistency.
So after two days of using it at night, my pores started to appear larger, my skin felt oily, and a few pimples appeared. I kept using it for another week or so and my skin kept getting worse so I stopped using it.
I can see this working for someone who is not acne prone, dry skin/small pores. I will be sticking to what works for me!

on 9/3/2017 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

This is my favourite product from Drunk Elephant. The results you see are so quick. After a month of using this daily, I've noticed my skin is brighter, the redness in my acne inflamed skin has calmed down, and it's so smooth. This product with the TLC Franbroise Glycolic Acid are the best out of the line. I did find this product is hard to spread around so I mix a drop of the Drunk Elephant Marula oil with it to spread it evenly. It's expensive but I find it works. Definitely buying again.

on 4/12/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first skincare item I've ever spent over $50 on and I have no regrets.

People's main gripe about this product seems to be the price and that you can find similar vitamin C serums for a lower cost. To some people, the $80.00 price tag on this is outrageous; while others would spend double that or more on skincare items without batting an eye. I'm one of those people who is in the middle. Will I ever buy a skincare item that costs over $100? I doubt it. But I was able to pull the trigger on this one and see myself repurchasing. Why?

I use two pumps of this product on my face every 2-3 mornings, after cleansing and before going in with any other skincare. The results I see justify the price tag for me. My complexion is noticeably brighter. I've heard that this is one of the best vitamin C serums on the market for increasing collagen production. I appreciate the fact that a good vitamin C serum increases the efficacy of any SPF applied over the top. It feels like my skin drinks this stuff right up. I'm almost done with my first bottle and it's lasted me almost 6 months, which is much longer than I expected. There's no ingredients on this product's ingredients list that make me uncomfortable or that I feel iffy about putting on my face.

Another big gripe in the reviews is the scent... I think I'm a freak of nature because I actually like the smell of this serum. Sort of fishy, sort of metallic, sort of citrus-y. Skincare isn't supposed to smell good though it's like taking a shot of wheatgrass or taking fish oil supplements. You do it for the health of your body not because you want it to taste good.

I bought a sample of this and was sold after 3 uses. I suggest trying out a few different samples of vitamin C serums before sealing the deal and buying a full-sized bottle.

on 4/1/2017 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

It smells of rotting oranges and it leaves the skin with a sticky kind of feeling. Really disliked it!

on 3/22/2017 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

A little bit about myself:
-oily/combination skin but wait there is more - also sensitive
-mid 20's
-olive skin
-I live in the tropics so my makeup/skincare not only has to adapt to the insane heat + humidity but also to the office AC as well

To be honest this is only the 2nd vitamin C serum I`ve used thus far, the other one being Glossier`s one which is just not very good - peep my review for that one in its section. This was my first Vitamin C serum and I kind of wish I stuck with it rather than looking for another one - my sister noticed this *glow* in my face after she visited (thats a real thing apparently) I had only been using this for about 2-3 months.

Pros:
-You get a glow
-It improved the dark spots I had from neglecting suncreen these past few years
-Takes a sec to sink in but does not leave you feeling oily
-Mosturizer goes on easyyyy afterwards
-Drunk Elephant is made from ingredients that are safe on the skin - I noticed no irritation whatsoever which made this product perfect for my first vitamin c serum
-Safe to use with other products too - I used it with the Shiseido Serum sometimes and Luna retinol (the blue one)

Cons:
-The smell is F O U L but you`ll get over it, its worth it, after a while you don`t notice it

Protip: Don`t forget the sunscreen! If you do decide to use this in the morning + retinol at night invest in a good mosturizing cream since the combination might make your skin a bit dry.

on 3/21/2017 10:30:00 PM

I just love this serum. Three drops all over the face + B Hydra in the AM. You are all set!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I was surprised by how much I liked this product. I've tried several vitamin c serums in the past, only to be disappointed. They were, at best, ineffective, or at worst, they broke me out. To be honest, I was pretty ready to give up on vitamin c serums altogether, but then I received a deluxe sample of DE's Framboos AHA serum and liked it so much I decided to give this product a try as well, and I'm Glad I did! This one is great! It really does make a difference in the tone and clarity of my skin. It's hella expensive and smells a little off putting (like all vitamin c treatments do) but I'm willing to look past that because the difference it makes in my complexion is undeniable. The packaging is ideal -- the pump only lets out a small amount at a time, so one pump is just enough to cover the face. I will absolutely repurchase and/or recommend this product to others. If you're looking for a vitamin c serum and you've been having trouble finding one that works for you, try to get a mini version to try it out. You might be surprised!

on 10/6/2016 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first high end skincare product I've ever tried. I looked through the ingredients list of this serum and couldn't find a single thing I didn't like. That's amazing for me, as I've grown extremely picky about the ingredients in my skincare products. Now, this product is $80.00 for 1fl oz. Pretty steep but after trying a sample I loved it and with much trepidation I purchased it. The longer I use this serum, the more my uncertainties over whether this is worth the price or not continue to diminish. It's like a glass of orange juice for your face! (an expensive glass of orange juice.)

The ingredients in this serum stay active after application for 72 hours. Even if you wash your face every day you'll continue getting the skincare benefits for at least 3 days, thanks to the presence of Sodium Hyaluranate Crosspolymer (which evidently makes this stuff so easily absorbed into the skin that it remains active underneath the skin long after the face is cleansed.) So to make it last, I only apply this once every three days. Two pumps in the palm of my hand, then I use my fingers to spread this all over my face and pat/rub it in.

The serum itself is the consistency of water. On the Sephora website it says the consistency has been thickened slightly to "improve the overall user experience". Maybe I got one that wasn't reformulated yet but either way, the thinness of the liquid isn't bothersome. The color is bright orange and some people have reported that it leaves their skin orange, but I'm very fair-complected and once it sinks in it doesn't leave any discoloration.

The scent is hard to put a finger on... it's mildly unpleasant. I tried a sample of the Ole Henricksen Truth Serum once and it smelled like rotting fish. This kind of smells similar, but the fishy smell is way less toned down to the point of being virtually unnoticeable. I feel like what I can smell most is the Vitamin C... if you've ever taken Vitamin C tablets (especially sugar-free ones) you know they have a distinct smell/taste. It's not the best, but skincare isn't always necessarily going to smell the best, so that's okay with me.

The claims of this product are as follows:
- protects against free-radicals.
- replenishes lipids to reduce wrinkles, firm, and brighten skin.
- pumpkin ferment and pomegranate enzymes gently dissolve unwanted skin cells.
- anti-aging.
- supports natural collagen production and cell regeneration.
- pH level of 3.3 to 3.5.

In my experience, using it in the morning 2-3 times per week, this serum has singlehandedly made my skin more luminous and radiant. I haven't noticed any reduction in wrinkles but that's not really what I'm after when it comes to this particular product. I'm more interested in the long-term benefits and protection. Not to mention the immediate benefits: my skin looks and feels better overall. If I go without this product for a week or so, I can tell that my face doesn't look as good as it does when I'm using it regularly. I always follow up with my Josie Maran Argan mosturizer with SPF 47 and the combo has been doing me well. NO BREAKOUTS!! No adverse reactions. I've also heard that using a vitamin c serum increases the efficacy of your SPF, which is pretty awesome.

The last thing I want to talk about is the packaging. I haven't had any problems with the pump. I've noticed that if I try to dispense it with the bottle standing up, some of the serum gets on the side of the pump. But that's just because it's running down the side due to being so thin, not because the pump or packaging is broken (although it looks like it's leaking, it's not.) To avoid this I hold the bottle in the air but on it's side and pump the product so that it dispenses downward into my palm. I like that the packaging is completely airtight, which protects and preserves the product as long as possible. I kind of don't like that the packaging isn't clear because you can't tell how much is left in it, but I know what the benefits of an opaque packaging far outweigh the minor nuisance of not being able to put a finger on exactly how much product is left. Aesthetically, the packaging is pleasing. That doesn't matter if the quality of the product inside is terrible, but when the quality of the product is great pretty packaging is an added bonus.

I will continue to repurchase. My skincare routine in the morning consists of cleansing, toning, this Vitamin C serum, and a high SPF/moisturizing combo. Since I'm using so few products, I'm okay with splurging on ones that I can tell really make a difference in the quality of my complexion.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This is my first Vitamin C Product and I love it. I also appreciate that this product is chock full of antioxidants fermented pumpkin extract and pomegranate for a few. Really great skin ingredients. Also, love the pump style and air-tight, opaque packaging that this is housed in, which keeps the highly potent, yet sensitive, ingredient that is Vitamin C stable and effective for a long period of time.

Like many Vitamin C products, the ingredients can remain in active synergy with the skin for up to 72 hours, so for this reason and for the price, I use this product once every few days... sometimes backing off to even once a week, but I do see a smoothing and brightening effect to the skin both instantly after putting on, and at least in terms of the smoothness, at least somewhat an effect of that for days ongoing. Contrary to the name of the product, I use it mostly at night, due to its rather sticky feel on the skin.

This product does have a unique smell that smells a bit like a metallic pumpkin, which would make sense, due to the pumpkin extract in here and the metallic twinge typical of L'asorbic acid and other vitamin C-sourced skincare. Most find it off-putting, but I kinda like it, as it does have a pumpkin twang, but it isn't the best thing ever. The scent is a product of the ingredients, though, no added perfumes here.

I like this product, but want to try the Caudalie Vinosource Brightening Serum, as, due to some kits available on Sephora with a full size of that plus some other products, it works out to be a better value, and even alone, it is cheaper (only by $1, though, USD), but it is said to be smoother in texture and more lotiony so I hope to get similar results (skin brightening plus a source of Vitamin C) with less of a sticky/tacky feel, so hopefully the serum cannot only act as a serum, but also maybe a serum plus moisturizer (albeit a light one) in one.

on 6/18/2016 7:41:00 PM

I really wanted to like this serum since I heard many people saw great results in their skin after using this. My skin is very thin, super sensitive, combination easily dehydrated(flaky patches), clog prone, acne prone with some post acne hyperpigmentation and broken capillaries. I was looking for something that would help even out the skin tone, prevent UV damage and dissolve unwanted surface skin cells (flaky patches).

This serum did not smell like hotdogs or bacon like other reviews mentioned the scent is nice not too strong. This did not feel super stingy and did not cause irritation it felt nice when applied on; not too sticky or heavy but it turned orange on my face. Then it started to clog my skin and cause some tiny breakouts. I suspect that the clog pores and tiny breakouts are due to the marula seed oil and ferulic acid.... all the oils. If this was oil free I would continue to use it and repurchase, but unfortunately I have to return it this is not cheap.

Popular Face Skincare Products