Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm

Not a totally bad product but its so thick making it quite hard to blend and it clings to my dry patches. Applicator makes application messy. I think this would work if you have oily skin, as it offers quite good coverage but it is too drying for me and creases if not set immediately. I would suggest the Becca Luminous Concealer, Too Faced Born This Way or the Naked Skin one for drier girls like me.

on 6/4/2017 4:38:00 AM

I have had major concealer issues under my eyes for the past 18 months- I have hereditary dark circles but also have some dryness and fine lines under my eyes which leads to creasing of concealer and if I try to set with powder, results in excessive dryness and caking. After extensive research online: multiple reviews/YouTube/articles etc, I couldn't avoid Shape Tape due to its publicity and glowing reviews. Being Australian, Shape Tape is not stocked at Sephora here so I had it shipped internationally with the high hopes that all the reviews were true. I was so excited when it arrived thinking maybe finally there would be a product that was pigmented enough to cover my dark circles, but not creasing!

I was left disappointed. It certainly is pigmented and I didn't even need to use colour corrector to cover my dark circles. However, it just cakes up and looks dry within minutes of application (and I always use eye cream beforehand). I really have tried everything - I have tried different methods of application (fingers, brush, beauty blender). I've tried putting moisturising face oils as well as my eye cream to the undereye area and even have tried mixing some of these with the concealer. I've tried it with and without powder. I've tried just the tiniest amount compared to the big "V" shape undereye. Just nothing seems to work and the dryness and caking is a constant issue.

I do think if you were purchasing Shape Tape with the view of covering pigmentation/acne scars etc which I do have some of, it would certainly do the job. I just think its simply too drying for my undereye area.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

**Edited/updated 12/22/2017**

I bought this because I was desperate to find a replacement for my BELOVED La Mer Radiant Concealer (the one that used to come in the compact). Sadly La Mer had to ruin their concealer-- it comes in a stick now and doesn't come CLOSE to having the kind of pigment the old one did. I have great skin EXCEPT for dark circles-- but they are BAD! So suffice to say, finding a good under eye concealer is like mission impossible! Since I heard such good things about Tarte's "shape tape" and it's only $25 as opposed to $75, I had to try it. I bought the shade "light neutral" after doing a LOT of research online about it. I used to use the shade "medium" in La Mer's compact concealer for reference, but it was an EXTREMELY LIGHT "medium." I have light olive skin and I find that the "light neutral" in this one is a pretty good match. Lighter than my skin tone so I have a brightening effect, but not as pale and yellow/gray as "light sand" (the one I was going to go with originally).

The coverage is great-- that much is true. But there really are two big problems. One, it DOES have STRONG perfume scent. They really should remove it because fragrance isn't good to have in makeup (especially at this level!!). It really is bothersome and I won't purchase again for this reason alone! Two, this DOES crease. I'm still young and hardly have any lines around my eyes and yet I notice this (I always prep with eye cream too).

So while "shape tape" DOES give full coverage, I've edited this from 3 lippies to 2 because while it's still much better when it comes to coverage than Nars, etc, the fragrance and the creasing are two MAJOR problems! And because it's such perfumey, cakey, almost STAGE makeup (I cringe when I see these really young girls plastering this concealer all over themselves on Youtube!!), it ALSO has problems oxidizing. Sometimes I notice this more than others. Like I said, I have the shade "light neutral" which is a good match at first, but at times it can look orange. And I can't help but feel that the heavy perfume they put in this isn't a factor... Physician Formula's "Insta ready" concealer is SOOOOO much better than this one it isn't even funny, and it's a FRACTION of the price. Plus it comes with a mini beauty blender to apply it too, and the "light" in this one is a PERFECT match for me! So this is the one I really recommend! Tarte's is WAY overrated.

Sorry, I just couldn't do it with this concealer. I really wanted to love it, after trying forever to get a pale shade of this. Here are my issues:
(1) Why the heck did they create such a HUGE doe foot applicator for this? Its so unnecessary. Especially since you only get product on the very tip anyway with the design of the tube.
(2) Even with getting a tiny bit of makeup on the tip of the doe foot applicator this stuff is THICK. Like Molasses thick. Which is good if you are looking for extreme coverage but the average woman probably doesn't need to put paste on her face on a daily basis. And for $24 dollars a tube, I should be able to use this every day.
(3) This stuff was hard for me to blend because it was so thick, I used a damp beauty blender or my fingers and I had to be extremely sparing with the product I was applying.
(4) CREASING - what in the actual hell? I don't know how people are getting this to not crease. Even setting this with powder, not even 20 minutes later this has settled into lines I didn't even know I had. And it is so drying that it makes the lines look even worse. I kept wanting to wet the area to try and fix the lines. So glad I wear glasses at work so you couldn't really see them with my glasses on.
(5) OXIDATION - I bought this in one of the lightest shades for some brightening and because I am pale. Within an hour this was orangey.
All in all I am not sure what I did wrong with this concealer. I am glad that so many people like this stuff, but for the ladies (and men) having issues - it is NOT just you honey.

Full Size Image

I really, really tried to love this, but oh my goodness this stuff is so drying. It was also very difficult for me to find a good color match - most colors were either way too pink/peachy or way too light in the shades within my skin tone range. It covered decently well, but nothing spectacular - I've had similar results from cheaper concealers. Maybe the skin under my eyes is too dry for this product, but I found it accentuated every bit of dryness possible. Not a fan, unfortunately, although I have tried to love it :(

on 2/14/2017 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I must be the only person on the face of the earth who doesn't love this concealer.

After watching dozens of YouTubers proclaim their love for this product, I decided to order it up myself. I live in Canada so I couldn't buy this at Ulta or anything, so I ordered it online from the Tarte website. I'm fair skinned, so I decided on the second lightest colour.

In terms of my experience shipping this from Tarte.com to Canada, i'd have to say, i was a bit disappointed and I don't think i'll be ordering from them again. It took three weeks for my order to arrive...which is kind of crazy. I get orders from the US within approx. one week, so this was very slow by my usual standards. Also, there was no tracking until my package crossed the border.

Shipping aside, I just wasn't crazy about this. I felt like it emphasized my dry patches (I have predominantly oily skin that's dry in some areas due to acne treatment), and just didn't sit well on my face. I much, MUCH prefer my Make Up For Ever concealer (Full Cover Concealer). This is just meh.

on 1/26/2017 12:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Good coverage, but this makes my undereyes look extremely dry and cakey. I always moisturize, and this ages me badly. The coverage isn't a good trade off for the extreme crepiness it creates. Also, the shade range is lacking even after their shade expansion, it oxidizes, and I've had days where it creases (and further contributes to the aging look.) I've tried 2 different shades, multiple moisturizers, and several setting powders to prevent creasing, but the only thing this concealer has going for it is its opacity..unfortunately. I really wanted to love it.

on 1/20/2017 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

It looks beautiful first applied, BUT IT TURNS COLOR ? It turns 2-3 shades darker after a couple minutes of wear :( have to return this, sad because it had such a nice natural texture and long wear.

on 1/20/2017 12:19:00 PM

I bought into the hype hoping this would cover my dark circles without creasing,but it's extremely thick, didn't have great coverage and majorly aged me and made every single small line look worse, I'm 33 and don't have that many wrinkles but this made me look like I did, tried blending and using it several times but I could stand how it felt or looked on my skin, I'll be returning

on 12/31/2016 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This concealer did cover very well. Thats why I gave it 2 stars. But on the flip side it is much too thick for an under-eye concealer and it found every fine line under my eye. It also has a lot of pink undertones in the shade collection and it was hard to find a match for me. The applicator tip is very big I assume for contouring the face. It also smelled of pine sol. Not worth the youtube hype.