Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

on 3/12/2018 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This cover is “heavy-handed.”
Might as well be “tape.”

on 11/26/2017 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Talk about a YouTube-made-me-buy-it. Everyone and their mom was raving about this concealer so I figured I’d test it out. I had to buy it directly off of tarte’s website so selecting shades online was a little tricky. I get the sense that the shades run a bit light so keep that in mind if selecting online.

This isn’t the worse concealer I’ve tried, but it’s definitely the least natural looking one. The coverage is insane, so if that’s your one and only concern, than give er a shot. But its too much for everyday wear. You can really tell where you’ve used the product unless you’re also wearing a full coverage, full face of make up with it. Not only that, this looks so very dry under my eyes. If you have dry skin, I definitely don’t recommend. I think it probably looks amazing in front of bright studio lights but in real daylight? It looks a little too crazy for me. I had another gf try it and she also didn’t like it. Thought it was too much and ended up cakey on her combo skin.

Great shade range and no scent to the product (yay!). Also love that it’s cruelty free. Too bad it just looks so unnatural on my skin. Would not repurchase and would not recommend to be honest.

With all it's hype, I was expecting more. This is only good if you are wearing full coverage foundation to match it, otherwise it looks thick and cakey. it also dries really quickly sometimes making blending difficult and can crease if you don't set it immediately. While I liked the idea of the bigger applicator when swatching it in store, in application it gives off way too much product to be effective. When I wore this with my GA Luminous Silk foundation, no matter how much I blended, it was too heavy and I could see break up where it met the foundation. This doesn't hold a candle to my Nars Radiant, and I even prefer the UD Naked to this as well. That being said, when I'm going full coverage for events and photo shoots, I usually reach for this over Nars Radiant. I'm really not sure why this is such an influencer must have.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Given all the hype, I had expected more from this concealer. I have dry skin with genetic VERY dark circles and slight under eye hollows. I had bought the shade Light Medium Honey for my NC25, slightly olive complexion, in hopes it would cover those circles. It was FAR too light and left my undereye area looking gray and ashy. I prefer a more natural look and I’m not a fan of the mega highlighted Kardashian-eqsue concealer technique.

Performance wise, this fell flat, too. It creased like nobody’s business and was so drying to my skin, setting powder left it looking like a cakey mess. Even trying it without setting powder emphasized every last fine line and pore on my face. I didn’t feel that the coverage was as full as others have experienced and overall, I was extremely disappointed. I tried it with various primers, on bare skin, everything, but no luck.

While the doe foot applicator is HUGE, I didn’t think it was much of a problem. I would dot it under my eyes and blend with a damp beauty blender. Had the shade been a better match for me, I still don’t think I would have liked it very much.

At $27 , I think it’s way too pricey for the quality. However, I did appreciate that it did not clog my pores or irritate my skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This concealer has to be the most OVERRATED product out there. I was extremely excited to get this because of all the hype surrounding it but I cannot seem to get it to work. I have tried putting it on top of different foundations and setting it with different powders (my fave Laura Mercier powder and Kat Von D Lock It powder). No matter what it looks heavy and cakey. It has such a thick consistency and the applicator is just too big in my opinion. I always wear full coverage/glam looks but this is way too much. I personally think this would be great as a foundation because it does have great coverage (a pro). I bought this because every youtuber/beauty influencer swears by this stuff. I apply it just the way people do in their videos and but it just never works out. I really really wanted to love this product but the Urban Decay Naked Skin concealer is my holy grail, definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I finally decide to try it and I'm not a fan. I try to apply the slightest amount possible, but it tends to look quite heavy. It emphasizes fine lines and often looks dry. When applied over foundation, it's so sticky it sort of pulls away the foundation when you try to blend it out so covering pimples doesn't really work well either. I don't understand how girls can pile this on under the eyes and all over the face everyday. Another thing that bugs me is the massive applicator when this is clearly a product that should be applied lightly.

After seeing every beauty guru in the world rave about this product, I decided to take the plunge. Now I don't really have too many problems with my skin, but I do like just a little bit of coverage under my eye area and for brightening. If there's one place you don't want your concealer to cake, it's under your eyes. I feel like this product just looked too heavy and aging and later oxidized. I don't apply it like a beauty guru in loads either. I've tried to convince myself to like it, but it just didn't work for me. I now primarily use it as an eyeshadow base, but I don't use it for its intended purpose. That said, if you're in your early 20s, have minimal lines or pores, this may work for you.

on 8/31/2017 5:01:00 AM

So like everyone else, I bought into the hype and purchased this concealer. I was extremely disappointed. Yes, you get a huge amount for the price. But the wand is so large it's just not practical. I don't need to cover my entire face- just under my eyes and the occasional blemish. I think the tube would last me at least a year but the shelf life is 6 months so I'd end up having to get rid of it before I can finish it (Products with wand applicators can get contaminated with bacteria). It's very drying under my eyes and creases very quickly even if I set it- and I don't usually have to set my concealer. The shade light was a pretty good match for my favorite NARS radiant creamy concealer in vanilla. However the NARS is definitely superior in almost every way. Shape Tape is fuller coverage but if you're 30+ or have any fine lines, Shape Tape will emphasize every one which the NARS won't. I guess it might work better on younger people and people with oily skin. Shape Tape also seems to last longer which is good and bad because it seems to dry on my face before I can even blend it. NARS RCC goes on so smooth and is easy to blend. It never emphasizes fine lines and just looks more natural. Unfortunately I would not recommend this or repurchase.

on 8/14/2017 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I don't understand the hype here. This creases like nobody's business. It provides good coverage so I've given it 2 lippies.

on 7/28/2017 4:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I recently have "upped" my under eye concealer game from just using one product that did a decent enough job to actually trying to cover and set the area appropriately. For the past few weeks, I've been using the NARS concealer. When I heard about this one from a friend, I went to go pick it up. Reading the reviews, I thought it would be light years beyond NARS. I don't think this lives up to the hype whatsoever. It made my under eye area look super dry. Yes, it is more opaque than NARS and less of the Tarte goes a longer way than NARS does, but I would much rather need to apply a few layers of NARS than to end up with a dry, cakey mess that Tarte gives me. The Tarte concealer also looks a lot more matte to me which in my opinion, is not really the look you want to go for in the under eye area. I brought the Tarte concealer back to Ulta to return and asked one of the sales associates if I was crazy. She said (under her breath of course) that she thinks NARS is better/more moisturizing and she doesn't understand the Tarte Shape Tape obsession at all. Not only that, the wand on this Tarte thing is huge! It is so hard to dispense a small amount of product under the eye. The only reason I'm giving it two stars is because of the coverage, it will last forever. They also have a great color selection for lighter skin tones which actually almost makes it more difficult to choose the correct shade.

I am going to stick with (for now) my current routine which is the Urban Decay "Naked Skin Color Correcting Fluid" in yellow to counteract my dark circles, then NARS, and then the Laura Mercier Brightening powder.