Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

on 5/18/2018 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I am disappointed with this concealer. I tried it on at Ulta and the salesperson kept saying how fantastic it is and I caved. Maybe I expect too much from a concealer, but on me it wasn't a holy grail at all. I have bad dark undereye circles and dry skin and the Tarte seemed to find every little line. I applied over eye cream and NYX color corrector (love that!) and It did give good coverage but it dried down thick and cakey.

I need to try it by itself, not over the color corrector. So far, I like Lancome's Effacernes and By Terry Touche Veloute much better.

Its so cakey, it adds +10-15 ages to your face. It might work when u have very oily skin but if ur skin is normal/dry, avoid this concealer. Coverage is medium to full.

I guess those beauty influencers really are paid by these companies....I expected SO much out of this concealer. I have dry skin and redness that normally I can get away by covering with just concealer, but the shape tape was not near as full coverage as was claimed, it creased like crazy under my eyes, while clinging onto every dry patch on my skin. I love the packaging and the huge applicator but the product itself is not worth the hefty price tag. I'm happier using my $7 maybelline concealer.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Just ok. I bought this due to the hype and it just didn't deliver. It didn't hold up well enough throughout the day, even with my best primer.
Merle Norman's Cover Up concealer is the best I've tried and does a much better job. Natural, very long-wearing, pigmented and no milia. One tube lasts me ages and it's much more hygienic than the wand in Shape Tape.
Back to Merle! I just can't depend on this.

I had high hopes for this product but alas, it just does not work for me. It accentuates dry patches under my eyes that I don’t remember ever seeing there before if you can imagine that, plus it settles into every fine line that I have. My circles aren’t all that dark but this didn’t even begin to give any decent under eye coverage!! This stuff is not inexpensive and I expected a much better experience than what it gave me. Won’t be repurchasing. Sorry Tarte but there’s just nothing nice that I can think of to say about this one.

Good coverage, but drying and looks powdery after a while, so did not work for under eye. And the smell is quite strong (what's the point of having scent in a concealer of all things?) The applicator is too large to be useful. Overall - not worth buying again.

on 4/16/2018 3:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

$27.00 for .33 oz. It's actually a fairly good value because it takes such a small amount unless you do the whole face highlighting which I do not, so it lasts me about 6 months or more. I don't use it every day, I use others things too.

I probably won't purchase this again until they lose the doe foot applicator. It is very high coverage and will remain fairly crease free if i use sparingly but it MUST be set with powder or it creases like crazy. It also is bad about settling into fine lines. I also must moisturize right before applying or it just sits there and is very hard to blend and dries the crap out of my under eye area. The doe foot applicator is also too big. I think they did this to accommodate the people that heavily highlight the whole center of their face. I don't cover half of my face with concealer like some do. I usually use it on my lid(sometimes), nose & under my eyes. I put a couple of small dots underneath my eyes, then down the center of my nose and blend it out with a beauty blender then use a finger if I see any creasing to smooth that out, then set with powder. I have 2 colors, fair neutral and light sand and neither of them look great alone so I usually mix them.

I think the reason this is so popular is the hype, and the extremely full coverage because I don't think it looks particularly pretty or natural and it's sure not easy to work with. I usually use Touche Eclat under my eyes. I like Shape Tape to clean up my brows and I also use it on my lids over Milani primer when I want a more defined crease or a cut crease and it never irritates my lids.

on 4/1/2018 5:14:00 PM

I find this product covers well but as my under eyes are very dry it just doesn't work. It sinks into dry patches quite badly and exaggerates any creases. I'll try this product again after hopefully sorting out the dryness.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Sadly this did not work out for me at all. The coverage is good and it's easy to blend, but I still prefer the KVD lock it concealer. I don't know what did it, might me the perfume since this is heavily scented, but this broke me out every time I wore it. So thus I've only kept using it under my eyes but even that has felt a bit itchy. And like others have said, I think this got a lot of hype mainly because so many youtubers endorsed it. Also the shape range is ridiculously bad for darker skin.

I've owned this for over a year and I have never once been impressed by it. I feel this concealer wouldn't be nearly as praised if Tarte hadn't paid so many BGs to advertise it before release. I've tried dozens of different ways to apply it (finger, damp beauty blender, concealer brush, buffing brush, etc) and for different purposes (blemish concealer, undereye concealer, foundation, to set eyeshadow etc) and the ONLY way that doesn't look bad for me is to mix it with rosehip oil and apply as an undereye concealer with a beauty blender.

I have this in Light Sand which is waaaay lighter than the other Light Sand colours Tarte does that I own. Shape Tape is roughly an NC5-10. The Amazonian Clay in the squeeze tube is around an NC15 and the loose powder is around an NC20. I know some people will argue that's intentional because people want a lighter colour for their undereyes but imo thats BS because this is also advertised as a foundation/blemish concealer and it does not match at all. It's also nowhere near as yellow as the other Light Sand tones.

It isn't even full coverage - once blended out properly (i.e. just enough so that it isn't an obvious streak of liquid sitting on top of skin) it's light coverage that feels like heavy coverage. Literally 80% of my powder foundations are more full coverage than this if I apply them with a buffing brush. They also last far longer and look way more skin like.

No matter how thin a layer I use or how long I wait for it to dry, any powder going on top of this (including non-mattifying ones) cakes horribly and accentuates any flakes that weren't previously noticeable. Using a setting spray doesn't help much. It sinks into pores so it looks like I have dozens of tiny yellowish balls on my face (admittedly, only noticeable when up close).

When applied underneath foundation, it separates into little bumps. When applied over foundation, it cakes badly. Both methods don't make any noticeable difference to my skin tone, other than to make it look lighter. It does not cover blemishes, only very faint skin redness. It also wears away quickly - it lasts maybe four hours, and thats with a high quality primer on clear skin. On blemishes it does not "stick" at all except to flakes, making things look like warts.

This creases too badly to be used as an eye primer.

When used alone as an undereye concealer, it creases badly. When set with powder, it creases worse.

I once had a boil between my eyes that I tried to cover this with and it last for literally less than ten minutes over primer. It wore away in the middle and pooled around the edges and looked awful. It stuck to the flakes and made it look like a wart. I then wiped it all off, tried pressing my finger into a loose powder and pressing that onto it, and it covered it up entirely and looked completely skin like. That loose powder as a concealer lasted for over ten hours without any fading, and completely hid any texture and flakes.

I only recommend this to people who want to use it solely as an undereye concealer, who aren't prone to creasing. It makes everything else look worse. Save your money and instead get a medium-full coverage powder foundation and a dense buffing brush if you want something to make your skin look flawless.