Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

I want to love this, however, I feel like this has the same hype as Nars creamy concealer, except this is worse. Everytime I try this, I sneeze like crazy and it ruins the rest of my makeup, because I have really watery eyes. There is a smell in this concealer that I'm allergic too. The wand is also hard to work with so I need to tap it with my finger to get the concealer off. However, with the said, it really doesn't crease and I do not need powder to set it. But, I'll need lasik surgery to continue to use this, because after about an hour, the concealer starts to migrate into my eyes. This is probably due to the smell, which I'm allergic too. So, I'm on the fence on this one.

on 3/11/2017 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I stayed away from this product for as long as possible and finally caved thanks to 5X points on all tarte at Ulta.

It's a decent sized tube of product given the price point. The wand is fat but I find that I like it. The product itself is thick but not crazy heavy - making it easy to blend. There is a very faint scent to it - not overpowering to me, but I can see how it might irritate those with sensitivities. A little goes a very long way, which is ideal given the cost. I applied 3 super small dots under each eye, blended with a damp RT sponge and was immediately impressed with the results. It's critical that the undereye area is adequately hydrated before applying. This stuff dries down matte, so it will accentuate fine lines if the area is dry and if you use too much. I also found that it does start to crack and break up as the day goes on. I rarely use this concealer anymore as it is too drying. I won't repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

It looks great on my skin and has a satin finish that I really enjoyed and looked good even though my undereyes are dry. It pretty much set itself so I didn't need powder under my eyes nor did it set too matte that my undereyes got dry. It had a nice hint of glow. It has really high coverage, I don't need to color correct with this but it makes my eyes sting and water when it gets too close to my lashline. I was freaking out until I read the ingredients and saw it had fragrance. If there's one place I will never put fragrance on, it's on my undereyes, especially if inflammation occurs. I'm squeamish about microscopic damage and trust me, my undereyes do not need to get puffier. Also, the satin finish makes me not want to use it on blemishes either so that they're not highlighted, not that I would want to make an inflammation more inflamed. I'm surprised at tarte for adding fragrance to something that may people would be using near their eyes, especially when a lot of their other products don't have any issues. What's next, nice-smelling mascara?

on 2/1/2017 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

The color selection doesn't fit me. There is a gap Tarte missed between the Fair and Light shades and that's where I fall. All of the shades are either pink or yellow and I need something to suit my olive undertone. There are a few neutral shades which are all too light or dark for me. I didn't find the lasting power to be as long as my current concealer. I'd say it stayed on about 6 hours at the most. It is creamy, but dries down and can look rough or dry. This has good coverage and it's easy to blend. I'm not a fan of the doe foot for concealer. I feel that's not really necessary and a bit unsanitary. I do see how it could be useful for contouring, though. Overall, I am not impressed with this concealer. It is just "okay" and nothing about it would make me repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I think I'm the only person on the planet who isn't completely blown away by Shape Tape. I've tried this every possible way, with every possible application. I just can't seem to make it work. It just dries down into a pretty matte finish on me & definitely does not mix with powder. It just always looks & feels SO caked on. It's so frustrating to me. I really want to love it..

The formula is good & 100% full coverage. The applicator is fantastic! It's probably my favorite thing about the whole product. There's something so satisfying about the sound it makes, like it's brand new, every time you pull the wand out, as if you're breaking the seal. lol! The large applicator is great and oh my, a little goes a long way! I started out using it like I would Nars Creamy Concealer, by drawing the upside down triangles, line down my nose, lines between brows, etc.. what a mistake! You just need to dot a little in each place. It really blends in & moves around nicely, covering a large area. The product settles nicely & dries down quickly, but not too fast so you're able to place & blend as needed. It seems like the final result already has powder built in, so that's why powder or baking isn't necessary (in my case) at all. I want to say that's the problem, but I can't. Because I've only been using it alone, with no powder & it's still just too much! Also, make sure if you're using with a beauty blender, that it's not too damp.. It'll cause problems. I've done that a few times & it messed up my entire base! I've had to take a makeup wipe & start over with foundation/primer, etc.. The finish with a beauty blender that's too wet, is little holes everywhere. The sponge needs to be slightly damp & that's it!

I'm going to keep on working with this concealer & I've just ordered a couple more colors. I'm not giving up, just yet. If there's so many people in love with it, it's got to be me??! I'm just frustrated by the whole thing. In the meantime, I'm going to stick with my Dior Concealer stick & just dotting it in the inner corners & down, blending it in with my fingers. That's all that seems to work, as of late..

I hate to leave such a neutral review, but I just wanted to be honest and express all the ways I've been using it & all of my epic fails trying to achieve what everyone else is. There's got to be others struggling, too right?🙈 Will update if I ever get it right!

✘❍'s 💕💋

on 10/20/2016 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The name “Tarte Shape Tape” makes it sound as though you’re buying a roll of tape but it’s a liquid concealer in somewhat standard packaging. However, the applicator isn’t merely a doe’s foot – it’s a buck’s hoof – it is quite a bit larger than most of my other sponge-tipped wand applicators. Therefore I only use a fraction of what is dispensed.

Coverage is thick and full. It is pigmented enough to cover the occasional zit or mild redness around the nostrils during cold and flu season. It does a decent job of cloaking dark circles, although if I study myself closely in the mirror I can still see mine. If I apply enough to cover them completely, the concealer can appear cakey.

This concealer is thick, so I get better results when I stipple it on with a damp sponge. I use a purple Real Techniques Miracle Mini Eraser Sponge. After I’ve applied the concealer, I set it with a dusting of Charlotte Tilbury’s Airbrush Flawless Finish Powder, which is one of the few powders I can use under the eyes. The powder has almond oil and rose wax in it, and doesn’t make skin look parched – it gives my combination skin a very subtle glow. Using this method, the concealer doesn’t look dry or cracked under my eyes.

However, if I were to apply a lot of Tarte Shape Tape over dry skin or if I used a different kind of powder, it could be aging. I think this particular concealer is better suited to oily skin because of the matte finish and high level of coverage. Once it sets, it doesn’t slide or break apart in patches on the chin or nose.

I bought Fair Neutral, which is a bit more pale than I need it to be. For reference, I wear C3 in MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus, 52 Vanille in Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation, 4 in Armani Luminous Silk, and Sand in most of Bobbi Brown’s foundations. I wanted the Light Neutral shade, but it was out-of-stock when I purchased this. This product is relatively new to the Tarte line so testers are not always easy to find and some of the shades are frequently sold out.

This is a pretty good concealer but I'm not in love with it. There is a strong scent in the formula and I wish it were fragrance free. Shape Tape does a fine job of camouflaging zits and mild redness. I can use it under the eyes, but I don’t think it’s the perfect thing for that area. Not my "Holy Grail." Still on the hunt.

INGREDIENTS:

on 9/29/2016 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

The only pro about this concealer is that it certainly is full coverage. There are just too many cons for me to repurchase. I have this in the shades "Light" and "Light Neutral". The light neutral is yellow based and looks great under my eyes. Light is basically white on me so I use that for highlighting. It's on the expensive end at $24 for .33 oz. I don't care for the large "buck" foot applicator. I don't feel like I have as much control over it because it's so big! Also the wand itself is stiff. I like UD's naked skin concealer because of the flexibility and shape of the wand. It also has a strange fake floral scent. Why does concealer need a scent? Lastly, it ended up creasing big time on me...more so than my other concealers.

on 9/12/2016 9:06:00 PM

I had to laugh when reading the other reviews, when one reviewer said "I definitely did not need another concealer yet". Bwahahaha! Nope, I didn't need another one either, but of course I bought this anyway. How could I not - how could anyone not! - with all the BUZZ about this one? And I like it, I do. It's very creamy and pigmented and has great coverage. I don't love it, though, and why? Well, I bought both light and light medium, since I like to be able to both conceal and highlight, and have the freedom to be able to mix the two if I needed to. I also have both light neutral and light medium neutral in the UD Complete Coverage concealer, and I wish I'd been able to compare all these in natural light before I bought the Tarte ones. They are way yellow for me - and UD's neutral tones suit me a lot better. I would say that for me they have comparable coverage and wear times, but color wise, the Shape Tape just isn't gonna work for me. It's a bummer, too, because the Tarte is a much better value. I'm not nuts about the applicator - I own Clinique's Beyond Perfecting foundation, and I think the applicators are equally enormous and hold A LOT of product, which naturally ends up on your face, whether you need that much or not, if you're not careful. The Tarte is .34 oz compared to the UD's .16 oz, and UD costs 28 bucks compared to Tarte's 24. And I'm still gonna have to stick with UD, which just proves again that there's no damn justice in this world!

on 9/10/2016 7:29:00 PM

This was a solid product. It covered up my blemishes okay but not enough for my liking. It did last a long time on the skin. I thought it was to dry for the under eyes and any flaky skin. But if you have normal to oily skin this would be great also the applicator was way to big and gives way to much product at once.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I was looking for a concealer that could be used for under eye and blemishes, and decided to try this since it’s been so raves about. Sad to say, I’m completely disappointed.

I couldn’t get this to blend right, it looked patchy and clung to areas of skin, emphasised my pores, looked especially horrible around my nose, so I kept trying it out with different primers, foundations and brushes/fingers. Finally, I got a decent result with a Real Techniques sponge. It actually looks pretty good applied on just moisturised skin with no primer underneath, but unfortunately going primer-less is not possible for me. My skin is so oily that I'd be a shining disco ball in less than two hours.

Then I realized it looked awful at the end of the day. This product just does not wear nicely or naturally at all. It fades but doesn’t even have the decency to fade away completely, instead it breaks down looking patchy, and settles into uneven skin textures as well as pores. I do have very oily skin so I don’t expect my makeup to look immaculate all day, but normally it wears away naturally and this just looks terrible. Also, it creases on me very quickly.

I’ll continue to experiment to see if I can find the right combination for this concealer but I’m not hopeful.