Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

on 7/18/2017 7:38:00 PM

I wish I loved this as much as everybody else did but I just can't quite say that I do. I have really sporadic skin, like sometimes it's dry, but then other times it's super oily. In either case, I find this concealer to be very cake-y and too thick. It dries before I can really blend it in and creases really badly under my eyes. The other problem that I've found is that this oxidizes so so so much. It makes my undereyes look orange. It's even gotten to the point where half of the outside of my tube has started oxidizing and turning orange. Maybe I just got a bad batch, but I think I'll just stick to my NCC.

on 7/18/2017 4:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Ok, just let me say I'm probably the 0.0000001% rare people who doesn't get all the hype on this concealer. So take my review with a pinch of salt :)

Shade: Light Sand (Great skin tone colour match to NC20-25)

I find this concealer to be 90% similar to the NARS RCC, in terms of performance, like how it looks and feel on the skin. It definitely does have more coverage than the RCC but I find that it doesn't work that well on under eyes at all. I do have normal under eyes, and I really just did 2 tiny pencil dots of concealer on each eye but it still look pretty heavy and cakey when look up close even though it doesn't feel that way. The RCC does the exact same thing in this aspect. So I don't recommend it for under eyes.

On red acne scarring / hyper pigmentation, this provides a medium coverage with one layer. It takes away the redness, but you will be left with sort of a grey-ish look on the skin where your scars are. For fuller coverage, I would say it takes a good 2-3 build able layers. It really depends though, as I do like to go in with less, then build it up, rather than slap on a ton and look cakey.

With that said, I find that I cannot use the shape tape without any foundation. It looks merely ok, nothing special, when applied over foundation, but when used on bare skin (moisturizer + SPF only), it looks a little patchy, no matter how I blend, or what tools I use, be it fingers to warm it up, angled brush to blend, or my real techniques sponge.

Since I'm going for a more natural makeup look, the tarte shape tape doesn't fit my bill and unfortunately I have to say I have already sold away my own tube, after giving it a few good tries to prove its worth in my stash.

BUT, if you like a more glam look, and don't mind looking like you are wearing concealer on your face, then this one is a good one to try, given that the price point is pretty good (but it has gone up by a dollar to $25 usd) for the 10mls you're getting.

PS: Light sand is perfect match for Custard in RCC if you are wondering :) It does oxidise so give it a few minutes to set.

Lastly, packaging I'm not a fan of. The applicator just makes it super unsanitary because you will have to keep scrapping the extra product on the sides, making it look dry, flaky and disgusting after a few uses. Also, the wand keeps pushing back up so you really have to put some effort to push the wand back into the tube and quickly turn to lock it securely.

Wouldn't repurchase was my final verdict as you all could already tell :) My fav concealer is still the Maybelline Fit Me :)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I bought this concealer because everyone in youtoube raves about it.. So i have high hopes on this concealer.. But after i bought it.. I really don't understand the hype.. My favorite Nars radiant creamy concealer is far better than this. For me this concealer is too thick, creases under the eye (not too bad, but it creases and you can really see it!), and somehow can make my pores look so big (if i blend my undereye concealer to the side of my nose). It's weird because it's never happen with other concealers.. It's not super full coverage either. So i don't really like this concealer.. I will continue to use this concealer occasionally because it's quite pricey and i already bought it.. But it's really not my favorite..not worth the hype at all.

on 6/1/2017 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is pretty good but not my favorite. The giant wand is a little awkward but other than that the coverage is nice, especially around the eyes. I wore it for a few days and liked it, but then when I applied the nars creamy concealer (my usual concealer) to one half of my face and the shape tape to the other, after a few hours, the nars side looked better, it was smoother and less shiny. I repeated this 3 times with the same results so I'm going to stick with nars for now.

on 5/24/2017 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have relatively oily skin and large pores, and even over top of primer, this left the areas I used it on look muddy, almost like a bad bake. I actually love the amount of product you get, and the large doe-foot applicator, but it just didn't work well with my skin.

It's an ok product. A little goes a long way. Color payoff is good. It conceals and stays put, but it's so smelly! The perfume in this product is crazy strong which makes me feel bad for putting it on my skin! Tarte raves about being natural, but they're really not far from the other high end brands out there when it comes to being actually safe for the skin. Just because 5 out 50 ingredients are "all natural" doesn't make your products natural.

on 5/2/2017 5:31:00 PM

I hate that nearly every hyped item, ends up not working for me. I finally got ahold of this after it being sold out everywhere forever only to be disappointed. If it matched my skin better, I would like it a little more... But the second to lightest color is too dark and the lightest color is too light. At the price, I can't justify buying both shades to get my skin color.
I also did not find the coverage super special. It's not a bad concealer but just not as wonderful/amazing as I've seen other people describing. (not for me, anyway) I also cannot use this under my eyes, like I've seen practically everyone doing. I will say, I have yet to find a concealer I can use under my eyes because they are dry... but it's just frustrating.

on 4/9/2017 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought this concealer because it has a shades light enough for pale people like me (NW 10-15) and because it's supposed to hold up very well throughout the day. I have oily-ish skin so concealer can have a tendency to fade throughout the day. This concealer does hold up very well, but it looks very cakey and drying even when I apply it very sparingly. Being oily, it is very unusual for me to say that a product looks drying! I would not be able to use this product alone. I'd have to mix it in with a moisturizer or something to make it more wearable. Too bad because the color match is amazing. Another downside (for me) is that it has a very strong floral/baby powder scent which I can still smell on my face for about 30 minutes after application. Packaging it great- I love the large applicator.

on 4/5/2017 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Gave in to the hype. It’s a good full coverage concealer in my opinion, but nothing magical or life-changing. For reference I am NC25-30 and got Light-Medium Honey which is for “light-medium skin with peach undertones”. It is a little peachy for me and I imagine a Light-Medium Sand would be perfect, but it doesn’t come in that shade (boo!). What impressed me most about this concealer is the staying power. It definitely stays put and doesn’t budge and I have oily skin! The formula is easy to work with and blends well, just make sure to pat or dab it into the skin rather than buff or swipe. The tube will also last forever because I don’t need to use much (I am not a Youtube beauty guru lol), so good value there. I’m not a huge fan of this type of packaging….I’d rather have a needle-nosed squeeze tube so I could gauge exactly how much product I'm using, plus its more sanitary. In summary: good formula and value, OK color match, and less than desirable packaging. YMMV of course. I’ll finish my tube but don’t think I will repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

First off, let me start by saying that I believe this product is way overhyped. I believe that if it wasn't for the huge exposure and sponsorships from beauty gurus and Youtubers, this product wouldn't be as hyped up as it was.

I feel like its only fair to start with what I liked about this product. Once again, Tarte has done a wonderful job with the packaging. Not only does the packaging look cute, this product also has a huge doe foot applicator which is similar to the one in the Clinique Beyond Perfecting Foundation. The applicator makes it quick and easy to disperse product evenly over the face. Also, because the formula is thick, you only need a little bit of product to get the job done, which therefore, in my opinion, justifies the price.

With that all said, I'm still not impressed with this concealer. The shade range is not all that great. I ended up purchasing Tan Sand, which was recommended to me by an Ulta employee. I found that the shade was a little light for me, so I looked into getting a different shade (P.S. I should mention that I like a highlighted under eye, but not a REALLY highlighted under eye, if you know what I mean. Tan Sand gave me that really highlighted under eye that I didn't like) The next shade in their shade range is Deep, which is exactly my skin tone, so with that said, I feel that Tarte needs just needed one more shade to fill in the gap. Also because the formula is so thick, the concealer creases on you like crazy. I even tried to use small amounts to prevent this, but no matter what I did, it would still crease on me.

In conclusion, I wanted to like this product so badly, but it just didn't work out for me. I feel like if they added maybe 1 or 2 more shades for women of color as well as reformulate the product do that it doesn't crease as much, then I would most definitely consider repurchasing