Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

on 1/5/2018 5:45:00 PM

i am oil/acne prone skin. Nc20 in mac,120 classic ivory in maybelline, 20 beige in chanel and cremebrule in nars concealer. Im am neutral light skintone and i use Light in shape tape color range in the winter but i do prefer light neutral now that i am a bit darker. This is good for undereyes and blemishes/ acne scars. It melts into the skin and blends really well if not too much is applied. It looks natural but is also full coverage. This does not make my acne dry or as flaky. i can wear this alone but i tend to always apply more than i need so it can look like i have makeup on. Plus the color isnt exact match. But all in It is worth the hype. I do hate one thing and that is the doe foot applicator but its not that big of a deal.

pros:
full coverage
Feels super lightweight, not heavy
Looks natural if applied thin layers
stays put all dat
pretty big tube of product compared to other brands

cons:
big applicator and packaging i hate
very hard to control how much product your putting on the face.
can start to look cakey and drying under the eyes if too much is applied

Edit- after using this for awhile i am on the fence about it. I tried out the nars creamy concealer and soft matte, But those were not enough coverage(needs lots of layering)
So i still like this for full coverage but its not as good of a color match as nars cream brûlée for my skintone. light neutral is still a bit yellow on me and light is tad bit too light. Also i feel that i might be breaking out from this. i am very excited to try the too faced super coverage one next after i finish my nars radiant creamy concealer.

Edit got the too faced super coverage in nude. Its perfect. Its natural and full coverage that isnt as dry. Color matches better than light neutral and creme brule. BUT its not perfect, i hate how its so thick and its impossible to use just a tiny amount. I fell in love with Chanel Le Correcteur concealer in 10 beige. Its gel forma, wont crease or fade. Not heavy and doe foot is way better size.

on 12/12/2017 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Mildly drawn to this product by the hype, but more so since I will try anything to conceal the hereditary dark (dark!) circles under my deep set eyes. Then, I tried it at Ulta over my IT bye bye Under eye concealer. Well, I was sold. Trotted out of the store excited to find my holy grail. Wrong. First of all, it does work well blended with the IT product. But I simply do not wish to do all the blending and prodding on a daily basis. And even if I go out barefaced, concealer under my eyes (and in a few other spots) is a must.

Alone, it's nothing special. Lightly applied it does not cover. More product, it looks cakey and dry after a while.

Pro: I like the fat wand.

I'll use this until it's empty, because it was pricey, but I won't miss it. To date, the best concealers I've used are NYX products. All good.

on 11/14/2017 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this because everyone hyped it up, but it really was not a good product. 1. the applicator was huge and just weird, but that’s just my personal opinion. 2. it was suuuper dry. i would put it on and have to blend it immediately or it would dry up and become (3.) really hard to blend. (4.?) maybe i just bought a shade too light, but it gave off flashback, and by the end of the day you could see where i applied it even in natural lighting.

on 11/4/2017 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Agree with lala's review. The applicator is just too big to use for a concealer. I heard the stupid name was because this was initially intended to be a contouring product. Well, the name would've been only marginally less stupid in that case. It's just too big to get in the inner corner of the eye, and it's such a mess to deal with to try to transfer it onto another brush. SO MUCH PRODUCT comes out on that ginormous wand.

It's a pretty decent product, but doesn't stand out above the other 10 concealers I own. You think you look good in front of the lights, then walk away from the lights into a normal room's ambient lighting, and BAM, there are your dark circles. So in that respect it seems to have more of an illuminating effect under lights than a truly opaque concealing effect.

I had purchased this in Fair Beige, and while it's described as "Fair skin with pink undertones" the pink undertone is not nearly strong enough for someone with truly cool-toned skin. It blends in fine with a full face, but it stands out as being too yellow still on a virtually bare face. As an NW15, my go-tos will remain Urban Decay Naked Skin Color Corrector in Pink, Sephora Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer in Meringue and NARS Radiant Concealer in Vanilla (wee bit too yellow also).

on 10/6/2017 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I really wanted to like it. People hyped it up so much, but... nope.

In short, if you have very fair skin, swatch this in store before you buy. Because for me, the lightest shade is WAY too dark.

The concealer itself isn't bad, it has very good coverage. It's also got a lot of product inside for a cheaper price than other high-end concealers. It's just the shade range that is bad. Currently I mix in the BH Cosmetics white concealer to make it work. If you are very fair as well, I'd go with Kat Von D's concealer instead - it goes much lighter.

on 9/26/2017 12:47:00 PM

This is such a hyped up product, I had rather high expectations. I have moderate dark circles and rather puffy under eye bags. My under eyes tend to be slightly dry and all concealers crease a bit on me as well. At first I hated this concealer but after learning how to use it, I've come to like it a bit more. This is a full coverage, matte concealer. I have to really prep my under eyes for this to look nice. I use a very small amount to avoid it looking cakey and dry. For me this is not an everyday concealer, it requires too much effort for it to look nice for me to use it everyday. I like the packaging and applicator. It comes with a good amount of product for the price. Unfortunately, it has a shelf life of only 6 months so a large amount of this will go to waste. Overall, I'm not sure I would purchase this again. It's nice and I love the coverage. It just requires too much maintenance and I hate the scent. It's very heavily fragranced. I'm not comfortable putting on my under eyes often due to that. I'm glad I tried it, but I do feel it's a bit over hyped.

Pros:
Great coverage.
Good amount for the price.
Less creasing than the average concealer.
Wears well. Very little to no fading. It stays put.

Cons:
Scent.
Short shelf life.
Becomes cakey fast.
Very drying.

on 9/26/2017 8:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I think this is a good concealer. It's very thick and provides full coverage (probably the fullest I've experienced so far, and I've used MAC Pro Longwear). I think if you have oily skin, you'll do well with this, as it's long lasting and doesn't crease (I don't set with powder, and it still stays in place). If you have dry skin, I would make sure to use a moisturising eye cream to ensure that the product doesn't cake up on or dry out your skin.

I bought it because of all the hype (I watch a lot of YouTube videos - I really should stop). I think it's very expensive for what it is. The shade range, while acceptable, I guess, isn't varied enough. For example, I prefer warmer undertones for my concealer, and the Shape Tape has a grey cast to it. For this reason alone, I have to be very light-handed with this, because if I add too much, my undereyes will almost look ghost-like which isn't a good look. With NARS Creamy Radiant Concealer (or even with MAC Pro Longwear or Becca Aqua Luminous Concealer), I can be a bit heavy-handed with the product, and I'll still look fine as long as I blend properly. With Tarte, I'll end up looking like a ghost. Not cool.

I won't repurchase, as I think Tarte needs to come out with a few warmer shades to make this product more attractive for me. I also prefer my other staples (which I already mentioned above).

I bought Rich, which is just one down from the darkest. For reference, I'm Sandalwood in Becca (Ultimate Coverage), Deep Spice in Estee Lauder (Double-Wear), Benares in NARS (Sheer Glow), NC50 in MAC.

on 9/22/2017 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I wanted to like this. I know most people do... but for me, I just kind of don’t get it. I wouldn’t say this is full coverage... it’s pretty thin, and I felt like it has almost like... a powdery texture as opposed to a cream? I mean, it’s obviously a cream but it just feels dry to me in a way. It doesn’t crease, so I’ll give it that. It also doesn’t cake up, so that’s another good aspect. But it did very little for my breakouts and I felt like it gave my undereye area a ghostly cast. Maybe I just purchased too light of a shade, but I wasn’t impressed enough to repurchase again in a different color.

Ok, I think it's just overhyped, didn't cover that well.

I am honestly disappointed. For the price, this concealer is bad. It did moderately cover my dark circles, I'll give you that, but not fully. And even when I bake it- IT. ALWAYS. CREASES. I apply it and it basically says- "Hm, these creases are comfy. I think I'll settle down for a bit." I don't really get the good reviews. I wrote a good review about this earlier, before I found out. It is good for the first couple uses then it all goes to hell. I would expect more from Tarte. And if your thinking "oh maybe it's the primer or the foundation.." nope. I've tried multiple different primers, foundations, BB creams and lots of other things. I can only say two good things: 1) moderately covers dark circles.