Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

3.9

on 5/3/2018 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

It’s very full coverage. But damn it creases like crazy under my eyes. Makes me look older. I wish it would work for me it has an amazing finish and great coverage. I have a love/hate relationship with this concealer.

on 11/4/2017 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Agree with lala's review. The applicator is just too big to use for a concealer. I heard the stupid name was because this was initially intended to be a contouring product. Well, the name would've been only marginally less stupid in that case. It's just too big to get in the inner corner of the eye, and it's such a mess to deal with to try to transfer it onto another brush. SO MUCH PRODUCT comes out on that ginormous wand.

It's a pretty decent product, but doesn't stand out above the other 10 concealers I own. You think you look good in front of the lights, then walk away from the lights into a normal room's ambient lighting, and BAM, there are your dark circles. So in that respect it seems to have more of an illuminating effect under lights than a truly opaque concealing effect.

I had purchased this in Fair Beige, and while it's described as "Fair skin with pink undertones" the pink undertone is not nearly strong enough for someone with truly cool-toned skin. It blends in fine with a full face, but it stands out as being too yellow still on a virtually bare face. As an NW15, my go-tos will remain Urban Decay Naked Skin Color Corrector in Pink, Sephora Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer in Meringue and NARS Radiant Concealer in Vanilla (wee bit too yellow also).

on 7/18/2017 4:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Ok, just let me say I'm probably the 0.0000001% rare people who doesn't get all the hype on this concealer. So take my review with a pinch of salt :)

Shade: Light Sand (Great skin tone colour match to NC20-25)

I find this concealer to be 90% similar to the NARS RCC, in terms of performance, like how it looks and feel on the skin. It definitely does have more coverage than the RCC but I find that it doesn't work that well on under eyes at all. I do have normal under eyes, and I really just did 2 tiny pencil dots of concealer on each eye but it still look pretty heavy and cakey when look up close even though it doesn't feel that way. The RCC does the exact same thing in this aspect. So I don't recommend it for under eyes.

On red acne scarring / hyper pigmentation, this provides a medium coverage with one layer. It takes away the redness, but you will be left with sort of a grey-ish look on the skin where your scars are. For fuller coverage, I would say it takes a good 2-3 build able layers. It really depends though, as I do like to go in with less, then build it up, rather than slap on a ton and look cakey.

With that said, I find that I cannot use the shape tape without any foundation. It looks merely ok, nothing special, when applied over foundation, but when used on bare skin (moisturizer + SPF only), it looks a little patchy, no matter how I blend, or what tools I use, be it fingers to warm it up, angled brush to blend, or my real techniques sponge.

Since I'm going for a more natural makeup look, the tarte shape tape doesn't fit my bill and unfortunately I have to say I have already sold away my own tube, after giving it a few good tries to prove its worth in my stash.

BUT, if you like a more glam look, and don't mind looking like you are wearing concealer on your face, then this one is a good one to try, given that the price point is pretty good (but it has gone up by a dollar to $25 usd) for the 10mls you're getting.

PS: Light sand is perfect match for Custard in RCC if you are wondering :) It does oxidise so give it a few minutes to set.

Lastly, packaging I'm not a fan of. The applicator just makes it super unsanitary because you will have to keep scrapping the extra product on the sides, making it look dry, flaky and disgusting after a few uses. Also, the wand keeps pushing back up so you really have to put some effort to push the wand back into the tube and quickly turn to lock it securely.

Wouldn't repurchase was my final verdict as you all could already tell :) My fav concealer is still the Maybelline Fit Me :)

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

First off, let me start by saying that I believe this product is way overhyped. I believe that if it wasn't for the huge exposure and sponsorships from beauty gurus and Youtubers, this product wouldn't be as hyped up as it was.

I feel like its only fair to start with what I liked about this product. Once again, Tarte has done a wonderful job with the packaging. Not only does the packaging look cute, this product also has a huge doe foot applicator which is similar to the one in the Clinique Beyond Perfecting Foundation. The applicator makes it quick and easy to disperse product evenly over the face. Also, because the formula is thick, you only need a little bit of product to get the job done, which therefore, in my opinion, justifies the price.

With that all said, I'm still not impressed with this concealer. The shade range is not all that great. I ended up purchasing Tan Sand, which was recommended to me by an Ulta employee. I found that the shade was a little light for me, so I looked into getting a different shade (P.S. I should mention that I like a highlighted under eye, but not a REALLY highlighted under eye, if you know what I mean. Tan Sand gave me that really highlighted under eye that I didn't like) The next shade in their shade range is Deep, which is exactly my skin tone, so with that said, I feel that Tarte needs just needed one more shade to fill in the gap. Also because the formula is so thick, the concealer creases on you like crazy. I even tried to use small amounts to prevent this, but no matter what I did, it would still crease on me.

In conclusion, I wanted to like this product so badly, but it just didn't work out for me. I feel like if they added maybe 1 or 2 more shades for women of color as well as reformulate the product do that it doesn't crease as much, then I would most definitely consider repurchasing

on 1/7/2019 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had been wanting to try this for my dark circles so I was super excited when it came in my Ipsy bag. However, I was extremely disappointed especially after I had read so many great reviews. The only thing this product did was accentuate every wrinkle around my eyes. It was very drying & did nothing for my dark circles.

on 6/28/2018 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this after all the rave reviews online and on YouTube. However, I don't know how people put so much of this stuff on. I wanted to love it, but it just looked too cakey and dry on me. I have oily skin, but my undereyes are a bit dry. I also has too light a shade on, which didn't help. This stuff just kind of crusted in the corner of my eye and accentuated fine lines. I also hated the packaging--it just all gunked up around the opening! I tried Too Faced Born This way (original) instead, and it too settled into fine lines and didn't cover that well. I tried It Cosmetics Bye Bye instead and it did a much better job. I'm considering trying the new Too Faced concealer, but don't know if it'll work on me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This concealer has to be the most OVERRATED product out there. I was extremely excited to get this because of all the hype surrounding it but I cannot seem to get it to work. I have tried putting it on top of different foundations and setting it with different powders (my fave Laura Mercier powder and Kat Von D Lock It powder). No matter what it looks heavy and cakey. It has such a thick consistency and the applicator is just too big in my opinion. I always wear full coverage/glam looks but this is way too much. I personally think this would be great as a foundation because it does have great coverage (a pro). I bought this because every youtuber/beauty influencer swears by this stuff. I apply it just the way people do in their videos and but it just never works out. I really really wanted to love this product but the Urban Decay Naked Skin concealer is my holy grail, definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.

on 7/17/2017 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wish I could be in love with this concealer as much as everybody and their mother seems to be. Did I get a bad bottle? I got mine at ULTA and the product is best described as "gloopy". No matter how careful I am when extracting the applicator and putting it back into the tube, it gloops out all over the place. The neck of the tube gets all gooey and bunched up and I have to wipe it with a tissue and then the tissue gets stuck in the neck of the tube and well...it's a mess. Unfortunately, I'm not able to use it under my eyes because no matter how lightly and carefully I place this concealer under my eyes I suddenly become an albino panda bear. And it creases on me too and every imperfection looks like it has a spotlight on it. So sadly, this product just didn't work for me. I have combination skin with apparently very dry under eye skin.

on 2/14/2017 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I must be the only person on the face of the earth who doesn't love this concealer.

After watching dozens of YouTubers proclaim their love for this product, I decided to order it up myself. I live in Canada so I couldn't buy this at Ulta or anything, so I ordered it online from the Tarte website. I'm fair skinned, so I decided on the second lightest colour.

In terms of my experience shipping this from Tarte.com to Canada, i'd have to say, i was a bit disappointed and I don't think i'll be ordering from them again. It took three weeks for my order to arrive...which is kind of crazy. I get orders from the US within approx. one week, so this was very slow by my usual standards. Also, there was no tracking until my package crossed the border.

Shipping aside, I just wasn't crazy about this. I felt like it emphasized my dry patches (I have predominantly oily skin that's dry in some areas due to acne treatment), and just didn't sit well on my face. I much, MUCH prefer my Make Up For Ever concealer (Full Cover Concealer). This is just meh.

on 1/26/2017 12:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Good coverage, but this makes my undereyes look extremely dry and cakey. I always moisturize, and this ages me badly. The coverage isn't a good trade off for the extreme crepiness it creates. Also, the shade range is lacking even after their shade expansion, it oxidizes, and I've had days where it creases (and further contributes to the aging look.) I've tried 2 different shades, multiple moisturizers, and several setting powders to prevent creasing, but the only thing this concealer has going for it is its opacity..unfortunately. I really wanted to love it.