Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

I want to love this, however, I feel like this has the same hype as Nars creamy concealer, except this is worse. Everytime I try this, I sneeze like crazy and it ruins the rest of my makeup, because I have really watery eyes. There is a smell in this concealer that I'm allergic too. The wand is also hard to work with so I need to tap it with my finger to get the concealer off. However, with the said, it really doesn't crease and I do not need powder to set it. But, I'll need lasik surgery to continue to use this, because after about an hour, the concealer starts to migrate into my eyes. This is probably due to the smell, which I'm allergic too. So, I'm on the fence on this one.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

It looks great on my skin and has a satin finish that I really enjoyed and looked good even though my undereyes are dry. It pretty much set itself so I didn't need powder under my eyes nor did it set too matte that my undereyes got dry. It had a nice hint of glow. It has really high coverage, I don't need to color correct with this but it makes my eyes sting and water when it gets too close to my lashline. I was freaking out until I read the ingredients and saw it had fragrance. If there's one place I will never put fragrance on, it's on my undereyes, especially if inflammation occurs. I'm squeamish about microscopic damage and trust me, my undereyes do not need to get puffier. Also, the satin finish makes me not want to use it on blemishes either so that they're not highlighted, not that I would want to make an inflammation more inflamed. I'm surprised at tarte for adding fragrance to something that may people would be using near their eyes, especially when a lot of their other products don't have any issues. What's next, nice-smelling mascara?

on 9/12/2016 9:06:00 PM

I had to laugh when reading the other reviews, when one reviewer said "I definitely did not need another concealer yet". Bwahahaha! Nope, I didn't need another one either, but of course I bought this anyway. How could I not - how could anyone not! - with all the BUZZ about this one? And I like it, I do. It's very creamy and pigmented and has great coverage. I don't love it, though, and why? Well, I bought both light and light medium, since I like to be able to both conceal and highlight, and have the freedom to be able to mix the two if I needed to. I also have both light neutral and light medium neutral in the UD Complete Coverage concealer, and I wish I'd been able to compare all these in natural light before I bought the Tarte ones. They are way yellow for me - and UD's neutral tones suit me a lot better. I would say that for me they have comparable coverage and wear times, but color wise, the Shape Tape just isn't gonna work for me. It's a bummer, too, because the Tarte is a much better value. I'm not nuts about the applicator - I own Clinique's Beyond Perfecting foundation, and I think the applicators are equally enormous and hold A LOT of product, which naturally ends up on your face, whether you need that much or not, if you're not careful. The Tarte is .34 oz compared to the UD's .16 oz, and UD costs 28 bucks compared to Tarte's 24. And I'm still gonna have to stick with UD, which just proves again that there's no damn justice in this world!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Where do I begin...i am a person who NEEDS a concealer for my under eyes. My dark circles and puffiness could make a baby cry. Its that awful. Ive tried a bunch and so far, the winners for me are Estee Lauder double wear concealer snd sephora brightening gel serum concealer. Problem that I have as i get older is the crepiness and creases. It really ages the whole face if you dont use the right concealer for your under eyes.

I bought Tarte Shape Tape because of all the hype but man, i was disappointed. Luckily, i purchased the trial size for 10 bucks. I got the medium for my nc35 skin. That was a mistake. Im Asian and im not golden but instead more Neutral undertone. This concealer looked ashy and because of that, it looked bad. It was hard to spread and i typically use my fingers. I also moisturize beforehand. Throughout the day, this concealer creased and it looked cakey. I looked aged about 8 years. Ugh... This is probably good for blemishes because its so full coverage and thick but I would not recommend for under eyes. I am trying out Cover FX power play next....

on 8/3/2018 4:12:00 PM

Once I finish up this tube I won’t be repurchasing. It’s so cakey and settles into my pores/fine lines. It didn’t even cover my under eye circles even after applying a colour corrector. I have oily skin and it accentuates dry patches I didn’t even know I had. It separates on areas that I used it to cover blemishes. I’ve tried it with primer, setting spray and powder but can’t get it to work. Plus the shades are so yellow so don’t work for my cool toned skin.

I had high hopes for this product but alas, it just does not work for me. It accentuates dry patches under my eyes that I don’t remember ever seeing there before if you can imagine that, plus it settles into every fine line that I have. My circles aren’t all that dark but this didn’t even begin to give any decent under eye coverage!! This stuff is not inexpensive and I expected a much better experience than what it gave me. Won’t be repurchasing. Sorry Tarte but there’s just nothing nice that I can think of to say about this one.

Good coverage, but drying and looks powdery after a while, so did not work for under eye. And the smell is quite strong (what's the point of having scent in a concealer of all things?) The applicator is too large to be useful. Overall - not worth buying again.

on 4/1/2018 5:14:00 PM

I find this product covers well but as my under eyes are very dry it just doesn't work. It sinks into dry patches quite badly and exaggerates any creases. I'll try this product again after hopefully sorting out the dryness.

I've owned this for over a year and I have never once been impressed by it. I feel this concealer wouldn't be nearly as praised if Tarte hadn't paid so many BGs to advertise it before release. I've tried dozens of different ways to apply it (finger, damp beauty blender, concealer brush, buffing brush, etc) and for different purposes (blemish concealer, undereye concealer, foundation, to set eyeshadow etc) and the ONLY way that doesn't look bad for me is to mix it with rosehip oil and apply as an undereye concealer with a beauty blender.

I have this in Light Sand which is waaaay lighter than the other Light Sand colours Tarte does that I own. Shape Tape is roughly an NC5-10. The Amazonian Clay in the squeeze tube is around an NC15 and the loose powder is around an NC20. I know some people will argue that's intentional because people want a lighter colour for their undereyes but imo thats BS because this is also advertised as a foundation/blemish concealer and it does not match at all. It's also nowhere near as yellow as the other Light Sand tones.

It isn't even full coverage - once blended out properly (i.e. just enough so that it isn't an obvious streak of liquid sitting on top of skin) it's light coverage that feels like heavy coverage. Literally 80% of my powder foundations are more full coverage than this if I apply them with a buffing brush. They also last far longer and look way more skin like.

No matter how thin a layer I use or how long I wait for it to dry, any powder going on top of this (including non-mattifying ones) cakes horribly and accentuates any flakes that weren't previously noticeable. Using a setting spray doesn't help much. It sinks into pores so it looks like I have dozens of tiny yellowish balls on my face (admittedly, only noticeable when up close).

When applied underneath foundation, it separates into little bumps. When applied over foundation, it cakes badly. Both methods don't make any noticeable difference to my skin tone, other than to make it look lighter. It does not cover blemishes, only very faint skin redness. It also wears away quickly - it lasts maybe four hours, and thats with a high quality primer on clear skin. On blemishes it does not "stick" at all except to flakes, making things look like warts.

This creases too badly to be used as an eye primer.

When used alone as an undereye concealer, it creases badly. When set with powder, it creases worse.

I once had a boil between my eyes that I tried to cover this with and it last for literally less than ten minutes over primer. It wore away in the middle and pooled around the edges and looked awful. It stuck to the flakes and made it look like a wart. I then wiped it all off, tried pressing my finger into a loose powder and pressing that onto it, and it covered it up entirely and looked completely skin like. That loose powder as a concealer lasted for over ten hours without any fading, and completely hid any texture and flakes.

I only recommend this to people who want to use it solely as an undereye concealer, who aren't prone to creasing. It makes everything else look worse. Save your money and instead get a medium-full coverage powder foundation and a dense buffing brush if you want something to make your skin look flawless.

With all it's hype, I was expecting more. This is only good if you are wearing full coverage foundation to match it, otherwise it looks thick and cakey. it also dries really quickly sometimes making blending difficult and can crease if you don't set it immediately. While I liked the idea of the bigger applicator when swatching it in store, in application it gives off way too much product to be effective. When I wore this with my GA Luminous Silk foundation, no matter how much I blended, it was too heavy and I could see break up where it met the foundation. This doesn't hold a candle to my Nars Radiant, and I even prefer the UD Naked to this as well. That being said, when I'm going full coverage for events and photo shoots, I usually reach for this over Nars Radiant. I'm really not sure why this is such an influencer must have.