Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

on 5/24/2017 7:39:00 PM

Looks quite dry on my under-eyes unless I'm careful about moisturizing deeply and using sparingly. The applicator is large, so I usually use with a separate small concealer brush and feather on the product to keep the product from looking too heavy.

Looks fantastic in photographs, but again, the dryness can be a bit rough in person. Still, the concealer is very high coverage with even just a tiny bit of product and quite brightening, so it's a nice product overall.

on 4/27/2017 12:59:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I finally decided to break down and order this. Every time it came in at my local Ulta, it would sell out immediately and I was unable to try it. After reading the reviews I narrowed down the color that would work for me and ordered it online. Overall, I really like this concealer, and I'm the girl who has a drawer of probably 30 concealers trying to find one that gives enough coverage and doesn't crease. First, this comes in a huge container. The wand does seem a bit ridiculous because of the size. I've watched YouTube tutorials where people are slathering it all over their face which is unnecessary. I only need two tiny dots under each eye, and sometimes that's a little bit too much. I've had the best luck using a Beauty Blender to buff it out and it seems to set it. Sometimes I go back in for a second layer, but honestly, the coverage is really good and better than most concealer's I've tried. I do get a slight bit of creasing and eyeliner transfer, but I think that's just me as every single concealer I've ever tried does this. Overall, I think this is excellent and the coverage is great. The formula is scented, but it's a pleasing flowery scent. Definitely give this a try if you've forever hunting for the perfect concealer.

I purchased shape tape after a recommendation from an associate at Ulta. I had run out of my UD naked skin concealer, which I was never thrilled with anyways. I think the price is a bit steep in comparison to other luxury brands, but its performance is worth the extra dollars. I want to begin by saying that I don't use this for contouring, just concealing; blemishes, minor acne scars, etc. A little goes a long way! I do not use the doefoot applicator directly on my face, as it can introduce hella bacteria into your tube, ultimately contaminating it. I just smudge the product onto the back of my hand. That is usually more than enough. I apply with any one of my concealer brushes. Goes on beautifully, but can dry quick, so i work on one section/blemish at a time. Dries to a gorgeous matte finish and stays put. I do set my face with powder, as I get oily. The shade I wear is light- medium, which is perfect, but next time I think i will go just one shade lighter, as after setting with powder, the concealer looks a tad bit darker (which can happen if you use a setting powder). I don't care too much for this as an undereye concealer, it can be a little dry for my liking. I do however though, use Tarte's color your world color correcting palette to conceal under my eyes and mask any lid veins/discoloration. Can crease, but I blend out again with a mini sponge. Overall, I would buy shape tape again, but I really want something waterproof for summer. Not sure if this is waterproof...does anyone know? Lastly, I just wish Tarte had a more versatile color selection for the shape tape line...

on 3/12/2017 5:56:00 PM

Packaging is great, and the coverage is very full but I find some of the lighter shades are a little too peach toned for me, but I'd definitely repurchase!

on 2/8/2017 1:55:00 AM

I like this for my undereyes. Lasts all day when set. Blends out well for me with a damp bb. I do not, however, like the giant doe-foot applicator .. would prefer something smaller for my eye area. Other than that, I will repurchase.

My dark circles are severe- my no fail duo is Maybelline Fit Me concealer in 20 (for color correcting) + Catrice camouflage cream in 010.
My shade, Fair Neutral, is bit lighter than UD Naked Skin concealer in Fair Neutral. I think I could go with darker shade but the next one is too pink, another too dark. Since Tarte is not available where I live I bought it on makeup exchange- it was a pretty good deal.

What I like:
- gorgeous packaging;
- one tube will last you for very long;
- you get a lot of product- more than in other concealers;

In-between:
- extremely pigmented, which is also a downside for me.

What I don't like:
- too much product comes out on the applicator- I can use about 1/2 of that amount and then it gets cakey;
- it's too pigmented for spot concealing- even if I apply a tiny dot it turns out to be too much- I have to blend it all over my face;
- the shade selection could be better.

Overall, I'll stay with my trusty concealing routine.

Edit July '17: okay, so I figured out the best method of application and I'm adding one lippie. So, I apply one tiny dot of this concealer in the inner corner of my eye, then I blend it out with my Zoeva concealer brush- then pat with my finger to make sure there are no crease lines. Then I set the concealer with loose powder- either Dior Nude Air or good old rice powder.
The result: flawless, brightened, non cakey, long-lasting eye area. I've learned to like (or even love) this concealer! Just repurchased Fair Neutral, also bought Light Sand but altough its the right undertone, its a bit too dark- but I can totally make it work. I mean, even when my entire base makeup melts off, this concealer stays in place. Impressed.

I have 3 shades that I purchased for highlighting and contouring- Light, Light Neutral and Tan Sand. I'm currently around NC25 with yellow/neutral undertones. Light has pinky undertones, similar to NARS vanilla, and Light Neutral has more of a peach undertone, but not as dark or peachy as NARS custard. I like using Light and Light Neutral to highlight/brighten my under eye and smile 'line' areas. As most have mentioned, these are highly pigmented and even with my oily skin don't fade or crease too much without a setting powder. I typically set them, however, with a light translucent powder. Now on to Tan Sand. I bought this as a contour shade based on the description. I don't have an Ulta near me so I wasn't able to swatch any of the shades beforehand. I figured Tan Sand would be about the right depth in color as the others looked too dark online. Unfortunately this shade is too orange for contouring, and also too orange for a realistic bronzer. Sad because it blended so nicely into my cheek bone area.

I really like this concealer. More so than any concealer I have use thus far. It's creamy, concentrated, and thicker, but easy to apply, and is a beauty blenders best friend leaving a seamless appearance. So well in fact, you can't tell I'm wearing it, which is a huge bonus. I don't wear a lot of makeup, so I use or need very little. The tube I am using is lasting me a long time. This concealer blurs any imperfections. It's very matte, but not inhumanly so. It keeps the oil at my T-zone at bay, incredibly well. I barely even need a whisper of setting powder. My favorite aspect is the way it airbrushes the crap outta my pores, which I LOVE making my skin look so smooth.... I love that! ;) Now the problematic side. I have to moisturize very well before hand and let that dry well before application of this concealer, because it tends to accentuate dry patches on my forehead. I can use this around the perimeter my eyes and it works beautifully, but CANNOT use directly underneath my eye, as it is very matte and settles into my fine lines underneath my eye making them look crepey as heck!! So yeah, application there is what I call a NO-GO zone. All in all, I really like this concealer. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. I keep an extra in my makeup stash, as this concealer does not stay in stock long!! ;)

on 4/14/2019 11:24:00 PM

I really wanted to love this due to all the hype but it’s honestly not worth the price for me. I bought to wear as an under eye concealer but it creases SO BAD on me. I’m 23 and it makes me look at least 30 by the end of the day. I have tried applying it so many different ways and it always does the same thing. Also the flashback on this is absolutely horrid. I spent a lot of money on it and I still use it for spot covering any acne spots or scars and it works well for that. Another thing is how gunky the tube gets around the seal. No matter what I do when I close the tube there’s a bunch of product build up along the outside of the tube that gets all over everything in my makeup bag. Bottom line, I wouldn’t buy this again but I will continue to use it as a spot coverer until it’s gone.

on 2/18/2019 5:48:00 PM

I love the coverage this gives me but it is super drying. I think if you are thirty or older you might want to use something smoother as it looks a bit powdery after a few hours of applying it. I don't really like nor use it alot. I prefer drugstore ones like covergirl ask Maybelline fit me. Hope you find my review helpful. If so please hit the helpful button.